Re: Franchise Talkback Thread: Terminator (1984 - 2019)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which movie is your favorite?

The Terminator (1984)
14%
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)
71%
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)
14%
Terminator: Salvation (2009)
No votes
Terminator: Genisys (2015)
No votes
Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)
No votes

Total votes: 7

KManX89
G-Grasper

Re: Re: Franchise Talkback Thread: Terminator (1984 - 2019)

Postby KManX89 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:14 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:I enjoyed Dark Fate, it wasn't nearly as good as the first 2 though

But definitely better than the last 3, which, again, isn't a tall order, but still.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:40 pm

I liked it. I thought some of the action, especially early on was really good. I liked the visuals of the Ra-X (is that what it was called?) forming and reforming. I also liked Grace.

The main issue was that both Carl and Sarah really have no significance on the narrative and feel forced in. Additionally, while it’s better, it’s literally just the same thing as Terminator Genisys and 3. It offers nothing new for the series.

It’s a shame that yet again clickbaity YouTube shows are tearing it to shreds.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:00 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I liked it. I thought some of the action, especially early on was really good. I liked the visuals of the Ra-X (is that what it was called?) forming and reforming. I also liked Grace.

The main issue was that both Carl and Sarah really have no significance on the narrative and feel forced in. Additionally, while it’s better, it’s literally just the same thing as Terminator Genisys and 3. It offers nothing new for the series.

It’s a shame that yet again clickbaity YouTube shows are tearing it to shreds.

I feel that Carl should have been introduced earlier and then there could be some more drama and growth between him and Sarah.
Spoiler:
It's heavily implied through her calling him Carl and the expression he makes when he sacrifices himself that she forgave him in the end, but I think they needed to build it up more.
"Next time it'll be flawless."

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 pm

Awful film.... This is the second film I actually couldn't make it through the entire thing.. First being THE PREDATOR. While this film is not near as bad as that.

I just don't understand the ''Best film since Terminator 2'' talk Uh... What film did they watch or is the bar just set that low? For those of you that enjoyed it I am happy for you. For me this will probably be the last Terminator film I even attempt to watch until there is a full on Remake a decade from now.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Box Office Mojo says this movie has only made $135 million dollars.

I heard this movie needed $500 million to break even and had a budget between $185-$195 million.

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:27 pm

I don't understand where the "mary sue girl power" complaints come from. There were a lot of moments where if Carl weren't there everyone would have died.
"Next time it'll be flawless."

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:01 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:I don't understand where the "mary sue girl power" complaints come from. There were a lot of moments where if Carl weren't there everyone would have died.

Yeah i'm gonna be honest and say i have no idea where some people got that from. The film's kinda dumb but it didn't go the "SJW girl power" kinda dumb like Ghostbusters.

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:50 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:I don't understand where the "mary sue girl power" complaints come from. There were a lot of moments where if Carl weren't there everyone would have died.

Yeah i'm gonna be honest and say i have no idea where some people got that from. The film's kinda dumb but it didn't go the "SJW girl power" kinda dumb like Ghostbusters.

I think the thing is,

Dani's entire character is raw hot garbage. Main reason being, because they played up the nonsensical "Da key to da future is her womb not her", like Sarah Connor would ever actually talk like that, or the "Let's kill John Connor before the title card and replace him with a Dollar bin discount version because girl power", or the cyborg "Grace" suiting up in dudes clothing the entire film.

Dani is like 5 feet even and yet she not only becomes the leader of the resistance, but can 1v1 knockout TERMINATORS.

Just little things like that are some of the reasons why I can see the whole "girl power" argument coming into play. It just isn't interesting, the whole, "let's remove the main male leads and replace them with women who are good at everything with 0 faults because women can be action heroes too, see?" just doesn't work while Ripley, Sarah Connor, and Laurie Strode exist.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Sith Apprentice.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Terminator: Resistance is looking like it might be an okay game.

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:10 pm

Why can't Xbox ever get the exclusives.. Predator/Terminator/Spiderman etc.

May have to buy a PS5 just to catch up.
Sith Apprentice.

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:29 pm

IMO, it looks really bad. From the awful voiceover narration, the complete lack of recoil on any of the guns, and clunky first person animations, it looks like a $15 game at best. I don't think you're missing much.
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:What has this thread become.

_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:32 pm

2004Zilla wrote:IMO, it looks really bad. From the awful voiceover narration, the complete lack of recoil on any of the guns, and clunky first person animations, it looks like a $15 game at best. I don't think you're missing much.

Just watched gameplay, you're right. Looks like an arcade game with 2009 graphics.

Plus they're the makers of the infamously bad "Rambo: The Video Game", yikes.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Apprentice.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Watched the new one.

No issue with the big spoiler moment (if anyone's even still unspoiled). It in no way invalidated the ending of the prior movie; if anything, it was key to reinforcing it.

Lots of problems with the movie, though. The central issue is that it needed a better defined protagonist. Didn't care about much of anyone. There just wasn't a complete story there.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:40 am

[url=cinemablend.com/news/2484369/ouch-terminator-dark-fate-had-a-huge-second-weekend-drop?fbclid=IwAR05jjjMkpb2kdakdTskU-_wka9ZaCaRjrgTyJrBQBWDjK-155fiau1HuLc]Terminator: Dark Fate had a 73% drop this weekend.[/url]

This movie is bombing like Fant4stic did 4 years ago.
Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm

eabaker wrote:Watched the new one.

No issue with the big spoiler moment (if anyone's even still unspoiled). It in no way invalidated the ending of the prior movie; if anything, it was key to reinforcing it.

Lots of problems with the movie, though. The central issue is that it needed a better defined protagonist. Didn't care about much of anyone. There just wasn't a complete story there.

Grace was way cooler and more interesting than the woman that she was protecting. I thought that the actress wasn't too good to be honest.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:26 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
eabaker wrote:Watched the new one.

Grace was way cooler and more interesting than the woman that she was protecting. I thought that the actress wasn't too good to be honest.

Seriously. I'd say that the movie was always at its best when focused on Grace, and always at its weakest when focused on Dani. And while ?I agree that her performance was not good, I'm not sure how much of that is her not being a good actress, and how much was the script simply not providing her any kind of significant foothold for a performance.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:06 am

So 2 things about T2: Judgement Day.

1. Never noticed this till someone pointed it out today but before the T-800 shoots the SWAT guys in the legs, the bottom right of his Terminator vision says "disable targets only".

2. A moment I noticed but no one talks about, in the steel mill the Terminator had become so "human" at that point that in his "panic" to get John and Sarah to safety has resulted in him "forgetting" that humans can't survive high level of heat till Sarah pointed out the path he wanted them to take was too hot.

There was a third thing I wanted to mention but I forgot so I'll probably edit it in later.

ROMG4
Interpol Agent

Postby ROMG4 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:23 am

Terminator 3 was the last good Terminator movie and the last time the franchise actually moved forward

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:03 pm

MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: Franchise Talkback Thread: Terminator (1984 - 2019)

Postby MandaSaurus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:18 pm

At this point, Dark Fate has grossed $233 mil. worldwide, against a production budget of almost $200 mil. and a LARGE advertising/promo budget. It is projected to LOSE $130 mil. for the studios that financed it. I'd say that the franchise is "terminated" Couldn't resist... :lol:

Return to “Media Center”