The Star Trek Thread (All TV & Movies)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Star Trek Thread (Including Discovery)

Post by Rhedosaurus »

It looks like the Picard series is already in trouble.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Nooooooo...!

Now we'll just be stuck with a Section 31 series that, like the organization as a publicly-known entity in this time period, shouldn't exist, an animated goofball show, and Discovery apparently laying the groundwork for
Spoiler:
the origin of the Borg with a 23rd century suit more advanced than 29th century technology and a Section 31 in complete continuity conflict with the show that established it, thus grounding the origin inexorably in discontinuity and sloppy writing, not to mention a whole host of logical issues with the Borg's lack of knowledge of humanity an the Federation until centuries into its existence
, assuming that's the direction they continue to go?

Stay strong, Picard show- you're our only hope for Star Trek's future!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

The latest in Eaglemoss' ST Discovery series is the Klingon Cleave Ship! It looks badazz, and I can totally believe that KLINGONS would field something like this! The previous ship is the Worker Bee pod - won't be getting THAT... :-x

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I feel the opposite. The Workbee is one of Star Trek's cooler designs, and I have a 3D printed model sitting on my shelf at home. :) (Doubt I could afford this version, though!)
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

It looks like there is a clash between CBS and Secret Hideout over the Picard series.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

What You Leave Behind just kinda snuck up on us. Can't believe it's already finished- awesome!

Added in 6 minutes 11 seconds:
Interesting, regarding the Picard series. Of course, since all this is rumor and must still be taken with a grain of salt.

But it would be interesting if CBS is actually recognizing the completely-needless controversy inherent in revisionist designs and trying to get the series to go back to something that will actually sell with all of the pre-existing Star Trek fans.
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Zarm wrote:What You Leave Behind just kinda snuck up on us. Can't believe it's already finished- awesome!

Added in 6 minutes 11 seconds:
Interesting, regarding the Picard series. Of course, since all this is rumor and must still be taken with a grain of salt.

But it would be interesting if CBS is actually recognizing the completely-needless controversy inherent in revisionist designs and trying to get the series to go back to something that will actually sell with all of the pre-existing Star Trek fans.

The fact that Moonvees, who hated sci-fi, is gone (and was fired quite fast) means that at least the Picard series has a chance to be good. It's not like STD which in many ways, was doomed form the start.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Well, as of the finale,
Spoiler:
the USS Discovery has traveled to the 33rd century, and Starfleet has decided to erase all records of everything related to it.

Of course, there are still dozens of things that this doesn't fix
Spoiler:
(technology that shouldn't exist yet, things that are public knowledge and wouldn't pass out of culture without some sort of totalitarian gag order, problems with the Enterprise which the finale compounded),
but it is clearly their attempt to fix things. And at least, in theory, Discovery will do no further continuity harm, except in such areas as things that shouldn't exist came with the ship.

Maranatha!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I thought that this meme was pretty funny. :lol:

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

The Picard series will be on Amazon Prime and not Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddGDn40 ... e29RI6kp9Q
Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Tue May 14, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

For those outside the U.S., it looks like? I'm guessing still CBS All-Access for the U.S.
Last edited by Zarm on Tue May 14, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Good news. Alex Kurtzman has been fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4x7uCkCb0
Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

So in my Star Trek, uh, Trek, I am all the way through TOS, TAS, and TNG, and now I am about a Season and a Half into DS9.

Unlike the other shows, I had never watched DS9 before, but it came highly recommended to me, and so far I'm liking it, but I've been told that stuff gets really crazy in later seasons. I can't wait! Right now, Odo is my favorite character and I'm told he only gets better.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GojiDog wrote:So in my Star Trek, uh, Trek, I am all the way through TOS, TAS, and TNG, and now I am about a Season and a Half into DS9.

Unlike the other shows, I had never watched DS9 before, but it came highly recommended to me, and so far I'm liking it, but I've been told that stuff gets really crazy in later seasons. I can't wait! Right now, Odo is my favorite character and I'm told he only gets better.
Odo is fantastic, and I particularly like his interactions with Quark.

Garak is another of my very favorite characters. I quite like Dukat, as well; in general, I guess I just enjoy the slight madness that infuses the Cardassians.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

These are all excellent choices. ( I mean, I can't stand Dukat, but I also really like him; he is a paradoxical character of many facets).

DS9 is my least favorite of the 90s Trek series for a few reasons, but absolutely none of them have to do with the quality. It is a fantastically written show, and it has some excellent ideas. (And even then, I quite enjoy it- just not as much as the other two.) I think you will find that your friends were quite correct in their recommendation, GojiDog. :)

Maranatha!

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

This Section 31 and time travel stuff is ridiculous. I seem to recall that the ability to time travel was discovered by the Enterprise under KIRK - so I guess we can shitcan that now, huh? Section 31 has their own FLEET?!? Someone explain to me how the HELL that's supposed to happen? No one noticed all those supplies and resources going to a secret location?!? Even in Star Wars, the first Death Star couldn't be kept totally secret - folks in the Empire figured out that there was a huge construction project somewhere. And what's with all those itty-bitty( smaller than a shuttlecraft )advanced ships?!? THIS is the problem with Discovery - it totally IGNORES every series that came before! OMG

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Yep. And they've tried to retcon and say that it was all just 'classified' by Kirk's time. But it's a flimsy excuse to do whatever they wanted for two seasons and not even bother trying to match the continuity, then throw a patch on it and say it's all fine. (Even though they didn't even try to explain away the Section 31 thing; it's still public knowledge.)

Incidentally, here is a page listing all the continuity problems that still exist even if you ignore the 'visual reboot' changes and interpret the 'we will vow to never speak of this again and it will eliminate all knowledge of things within 10 years' in the most generous possible light:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/incon ... inuity.htm
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

This was also one of the most annoying aspects of Enterprise. :roll: Also that it didn't make up for it with its uninteresting characters and rehashed plots.

It may be too early to tell with the upcoming Picard spinoff but I think we may have to accept that the tight world building and visual and story continuity between the three 24th century series is something we'll never see with Trek again, or at least not under the current production group. :(
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.