DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
4%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
13%
Suicide Squad
No votes
Wonder Woman
35%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
17%
Shazam!
30%

Total votes: 23

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Postby _JNavs_ » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:02 pm

How WB can release TDK styled content and SS/JL styled content at the same time? I'll never know.
Sith Apprentice.

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:07 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:How WB can release TDK styled content and SS/JL styled content at the same time? I'll never know.

That's what happens when studio's constantly change staff,this one not being fit to make DC movies.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:17 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:How WB can release TDK styled content and SS/JL styled content at the same time? I'll never know.

That's what happens when studio's constantly change staff,this one not being fit to make DC movies.

You would think with The Joker and BOP both coming out within months of eachother they'd share the staff lol.
Sith Apprentice.

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:42 am

????

Having different staffs on films is one of the few strengths the DCEU has. I'd rather see tonally and visually different films then 8 exactly identical ones

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:12 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:????

Having different staffs on films is one of the few strengths the DCEU has. I'd rather see tonally and visually different films then 8 exactly identical ones

While I agree, variation is key, which is what the other company isn't doing.

It seems like as far a good films go, it's on and off. So why not get the "good" staff and put them on the films going forward?

Added in 2 days 14 hours 34 minutes 8 seconds:
Joker is easily one of the best films ever.

Say what you will, call me biased yadda yadda, But that was easily one of the most interesting, entertaining yet sinister films of this decade.
Sith Apprentice.

Greyshot151
Applebee's Manager

Postby Greyshot151 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:40 pm

So I just saw Joker.

As a film, its a well shot, well crafted movie from the perspective of a mentally ill man becoming A Joker. The main lead does a stellar performance, and some scenes are really fantastic in their execution
Spoiler:
(Looking at one particularly in his apartment involving a locked door).
In regards to the Joker's themes of being a chaotic symbol of anarchy, this movie nails it. But, it does fail in one department and that is in its character.

Spoiler:
Note earlier I said A Joker, not The Joker. The Joker is a confident man who can control the room through terror and comedy when he enters it. He can kill you as easily as he can make you laugh, maybe both at the same time. This Joker does not do these things. He's not funny, he's not terrifying, he's just unhinged. His transformation is believable, and the change of the world to fit his new vision of reality works, but this isn't THE Joker but A version of the character, which I am totally ok with. Heath Ledger I think still is the one actor that nails The Joker, but if you want someone who brings Joker's anarchic, anti-establshment mentality to the big screen, this movie does exactly that.

7/10. Probably wouldn't see it again, but worth a watch if you're interested.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:50 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Bud and Lou showing up is cool though.

Aw man, I thought you meant the Bud and Lou. :(

Nah, was referring to the two Hyenas Harely and Joker keep as pets, but they are named after the two comedians.

Rodan95
Yojimbo

Postby Rodan95 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Saw Joker. It's a 10/10 for me. It's my favorite movie this year so far and my favorite DC movie (tied with Shazam and Dark knight).

DC is killing it this year! Its starting to get tired of the MCU and I'm a marvel fan too. It's just the same thing just with different characters each movie to me anymore.

I love that DC is doing what Marvel can't do - R-rated standalone movies. I would LOVE to see a Deathstroke movie or maybe even a R-rated Riddler movie.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:29 pm

We've finally come full circle to another TDK level movie.

Love it.
Sith Apprentice.

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Joker great movie and better than Endgame. On the level of Dark Knight Heath Ledger.

Something about his uncontrollable laughter, particularly how it made him gag. Struck a chord with me and my anxiety attacks which caused me to wretch in embarrassing situations in public. Even on an aeroplane flight. Just unsettling in that way.

Especially when he's the bad guy. Maybe you can feel pity for him in the first half, then see that he could have possibly avoided it if the environment around him did something to help him out of it.

In that way it's not sympathizing with him just illustrating deficiencies in the mental health system.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:36 am

“We live in a society” the movie.

Joker was alright. Lots of really good cinematography, fantastic performance by Joaquin Phoenix. Good slow burn feel and vibes. Good at making you hate the Joker...I think?
Spoiler:
I liked the movie, but I couldn’t help but get the idea that the film wasn’t intended to have any sympathy aligned with the titular character. I actively hated the Joker, but some other people have come to other conclusions? I couldn’t help but also think the film is trying to have some big message...but ultimately fails. Like, spoiler alert, the Joker was just some abused kid, that had mental issues and was ignored and picked on by most people. Also, I already see some people say,”it’s a good thing because it’s focusing on mental issues”, but that’s completely wrong because at the same time it’s treating mental people like psychopathological killers. It’s just continuing to shame mental illness and other things. It’s not original, and it’s not that helpful. It left a bad taste in my mouth, and if that’s the point, it’s very successful.

I also appreciated how direct and non-comical the violence was.

Jack Nicholson still the best :lol:
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 am

Rodan95 wrote:Saw Joker. It's a 10/10 for me. It's my favorite movie this year so far and my favorite DC movie (tied with Shazam and Dark knight).

DC is killing it this year! Its starting to get tired of the MCU and I'm a marvel fan too. It's just the same thing just with different characters each movie to me anymore.

I love that DC is doing what Marvel can't do - R-rated standalone movies. I would LOVE to see a Deathstroke movie or maybe even a R-rated Riddler movie.

Well, Birds of Prey looks like a trainwreck, but Joker was a damn good movie. All the incels can suck it.

It's funny, I don't remember hearing this much outcry about the Saw movies "glorifying/encouraging violence" when THOSE were still trendy, why is it suddenly a problem NOW? :?

Speaking of which, I'm sure you've all heard about the security measures imposed at various theaters because of the movie's controversy. My theater did the same, though they were less conspicuous about it. There were no signs posted at my theater, they just sold tickets at concessions. Yeah, I don't think having to go inside would be much of a deterrent for crazies who will kill somebody because of a MOVIE. :lol:
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:38 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I couldn’t help but also think the film is trying to have some big message...but ultimately fails.

Based on Phillip's comments, I don't think he was trying to convey any single, specific message. It was putting a lot of different things out there, and looking at them all through the eyes of an explicitly unreliable narrator. The result is definitely not something that succeeds as a "message movie," but I don't really think that was the intent, either.

I liked the movie a lot (and, yeah, it riled up the "eat the rich" part of my personality, but at the same time reminded me why I keep those impulses in check), but I understand people's concerns, as well. In the end, I think if people treat it as an expressionist work that begs discussion, it will have far more value than if people try to view it as a cohesive moral lesson.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:20 pm

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I couldn’t help but also think the film is trying to have some big message...but ultimately fails.

Based on Phillip's comments, I don't think he was trying to convey any single, specific message. It was putting a lot of different things out there, and looking at them all through the eyes of an explicitly unreliable narrator. The result is definitely not something that succeeds as a "message movie," but I don't really think that was the intent, either.

I liked the movie a lot (and, yeah, it riled up the "eat the rich" part of my personality, but at the same time reminded me why I keep those impulses in check), but I understand people's concerns, as well. In the end, I think if people treat it as an expressionist work that begs discussion, it will have far more value than if people try to view it as a cohesive moral lesson.

Spoiler:
Yeah thinking about it more I really like how Thomas Wayne was essentially the villain of the film. His whole clown thing on television, sort of reminded me of that leaked tape of Romney saying a lot of Americans don’t matter.

Also, since you’ll get this, did the final scene at all remind you of Videodrome at all?
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:30 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Spoiler:
Yeah thinking about it more I really like how Thomas Wayne was essentially the villain of the film. His whole clown thing on television, sort of reminded me of that leaked tape of Romney saying a lot of Americans don’t matter.

Spoiler:
Also, since you’ll get this, did the final scene at all remind you of Videodrome at all?

I didn't make that connection, and I'm actually not sure which aspect of the final scene you're referring to. Remind me?
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:33 pm

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Spoiler:

I didn't make that connection, and I'm actually not sure which aspect of the final scene you're referring to. Remind me?

Spoiler:
At the end of Videodrome, the main protagonist goes to this television set/place that’s being filmed, or at least in front of an audience, and shoots someone that he believes has been persecuting him. Maybe it’s a bit of a stretch, but yeah.
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:38 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
At the end of Videodrome, the main protagonist goes to this television set/place that’s being filmed, or at least in front of an audience, and shoots someone that he believes has been persecuting him. Maybe it’s a bit of a stretch, but yeah.

Spoiler:
Oh, I thought you were talking about the very, very ending, when he's in the institution! Hence my confusion. ;)

Yeah, I hadn't made that connection, but I totally see it now.
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:39 pm

I haven't seen the film but what I've read and heard reminded me of The King of Comedy (probably intentionally considering De Niro's involvement in both) and even Network.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Terasawa wrote:I haven't seen the film but what I've read and heard reminded me of The King of Comedy (probably intentionally considering De Niro's involvement in both) and even Network.

Holy poop, yeah they're pretty similar.

Spoiler:
I thought about the film more and realized how much I enjoyed some of the actual plot. I felt the first act was cliche, like "here Arthur gets mugged", "here Arthur gets fired". The second act, with Thomas Wayne and his mother is when the film started getting interesting to me.
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:55 pm

I felt what Joker was going through. I understood what he was doing, obviously I don't agree with it, but purely from a cinematic point of view I understood him. You can only poke a lion so many times before that lion tears you up. The mental illness side of it was beautifully portrayed, and could've ended up atrocious if done incorrectly. I had sympathy for Arthur because every time he tried to get back up when life put him down, life would just wail on him until he stayed down permanently, which tons of us feel in real life. So when he finally decided he was done with life treating him a certain way, he fought back, he was free, he had no persona holding him back... He was just, The Joker.

You never felt like Joaquin wasn't Joker, even when he wasn't technically "him" yet, his portrayal was FANTASTIC, Oscar-Worthy, Extreme, Perfect .. I can't praise him enough. The world within Gotham felt lived in, it felt like NYC and I'm especially happy that the film was mostly filmed in the Bronx. The film juggled some very interesting genres at once, from black humor to raw horror to genuine drama, all within one scene. The last 15 minutes felt like pure and utter perfection, hell, the whole film felt like perfection, but those last 15 minutes were the perfect scenario for a JOKER film.

Spoiler:
We've always seen Thomas Wayne as a hero since it's always been from the point of view of Bruce. But how would someone on "our" level see the Waynes? Especially a Wayne family that picked itself up from the slums of Gotham? They'd be greedy, nasty, and corrupt, which is why Thomas Wayne worked with the Falcone family, the Maroni family etc. over the years. Thomas Wayne in real life very well could be a Trump type figure who'd look down upon the less fortunate. He very well could've had "illegitimate" situations. I loved how they flipped this whole idea on its head.

Man, I absolutely adored this film.
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Apprentice.

Return to “Media Center”