DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Warner Bros: The DC Film Universe is Dead

Post by Julia Bristow »

Warner Bros. boss confirms the DCEU is over as we know it, thanks to 'Wonder Woman'

It’s official, the DCEU is dead, with Warner Bros’ chief Kevin Tsujihara confirming the studio has moved away from the idea of a connected universe for its DC superhero properties – otherwise known as the DC Extended Universe.

“The universe isn’t as connected as we thought it was going to be five years ago,” Tsujihara told The LA Times. “You’re seeing much more focus on individual experiences around individual characters. That’s not to say we won’t at some point come back to that notion of a more connected universe. But it feels like that’s the right strategy for us right now.”

And who’s responsible for the death of the interconnected DCEU? Wonder Woman.

“What Patty Jenkins did on Wonder Woman illustrated to us what you could do with these characters who are not Batman and Superman. Obviously, we want to get those two in the right place, and we want strong movies around Batman and Superman. But Aquaman is a perfect example of what we can do. They’re each unique and the tone’s different in each movie.”

So, it appears that sometimes heroes don’t wear capes – Wonder Woman seems to have done more to secure the future of Warner Brothers DC movies than Batman or Superman, which is an astonishing achievement. 2017’s Justice League was intended to be the culmination of Warner Bros.’ DCEU, bringing together Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg, but that crashed and burned, changing directors halfway through and undergoing extensive reshoots, which led to an over-baked and under-proved mess of a film.

The film grossed £496 million worldwide against a break-even point of £566 million, making it the lowest overall gross of the DCEU. It’s clear a course correction was overdue.

Tsujihara continued, “The upcoming slate, with Shazam, Joker, Wonder Woman 1984 and Birds of Prey, feels like we’re on the right track. We have the right people in the right jobs working on it.”

Those ‘right people’ include Patty Jenkins returning for Wonder Woman 1984, David Sandberg heading up Shazam, Todd Phillips directing Joker, and Margot Robbie collaborating with Cathy Yan for Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), which sounds like a strong line up to us (even if we do hate that full Birds Of Prey title).

Source: http://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wond ... 48696.html

So, thoughts on this news anyone?
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

You mean...

WB finally realized you have to make good movies and characters then make a universe where they meet

Hallelujah! :mrgreen:

RIP Evan.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

So they basically are doing what they should have done from the start lol better late than never glad Aquaman and Wonder Woman got them to see the error of their ways. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

They're just now figuring out you have to establish characters first before meshing them together? :lol:

But hey, better late than never, I guess.

I don't think we'll see another team-up movie again, though, and if they do, it'll be without Batfleck and possibly Superman, or at least Henry Cavill as Superman (which'll mark the second time he "died"). It's too bad because this means we'll probably never get to see a live-action Darkseid (thanks, Snyder).

Oh, and apparently, Michael B. Jordan is in the running to play Superman. No, not Clark, Val Zod. I'll bet I rustled a few jimmies with that opening sentence. :lol:
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Afflecks Batman was pretty established in BvS, his position, his origin, his perspective.

Superman was pretty established too with a whole solo film and all.

Wonder Woman got a whole solo movie out of BvS to establish her.

That leaves 3 out of 6 main JL members that weren't established but were shown in a rather rushed scene.

JL was disastrous due to 2 conflicting ideal directors on the same film. Not "Snyders" fault as he had Darkseid in a few key scenes that were cut by that Buffy guy
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Warner Bros: The DC Film Universe is Dead

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Julia Bristow wrote:Warner Bros. boss confirms the DCEU is over as we know it, thanks to 'Wonder Woman'

It’s official, the DCEU is dead, with Warner Bros’ chief Kevin Tsujihara confirming the studio has moved away from the idea of a connected universe for its DC superhero properties – otherwise known as the DC Extended Universe.

“The universe isn’t as connected as we thought it was going to be five years ago,” Tsujihara told The LA Times. “You’re seeing much more focus on individual experiences around individual characters. That’s not to say we won’t at some point come back to that notion of a more connected universe. But it feels like that’s the right strategy for us right now.”

And who’s responsible for the death of the interconnected DCEU? Wonder Woman.

“What Patty Jenkins did on Wonder Woman illustrated to us what you could do with these characters who are not Batman and Superman. Obviously, we want to get those two in the right place, and we want strong movies around Batman and Superman. But Aquaman is a perfect example of what we can do. They’re each unique and the tone’s different in each movie.”

So, it appears that sometimes heroes don’t wear capes – Wonder Woman seems to have done more to secure the future of Warner Brothers DC movies than Batman or Superman, which is an astonishing achievement. 2017’s Justice League was intended to be the culmination of Warner Bros.’ DCEU, bringing together Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg, but that crashed and burned, changing directors halfway through and undergoing extensive reshoots, which led to an over-baked and under-proved mess of a film.

The film grossed £496 million worldwide against a break-even point of £566 million, making it the lowest overall gross of the DCEU. It’s clear a course correction was overdue.

Tsujihara continued, “The upcoming slate, with Shazam, Joker, Wonder Woman 1984 and Birds of Prey, feels like we’re on the right track. We have the right people in the right jobs working on it.”

Those ‘right people’ include Patty Jenkins returning for Wonder Woman 1984, David Sandberg heading up Shazam, Todd Phillips directing Joker, and Margot Robbie collaborating with Cathy Yan for Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), which sounds like a strong line up to us (even if we do hate that full Birds Of Prey title).

Source: http://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wond ... 48696.html

So, thoughts on this news anyone?
Thrilled.

That way they can restart and do it properly as the MCU did. Take their time to build up with their separate characters and then meet.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Or maybe even not have them meet at all, because not everything has to be part of a connected universe.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Except that goes completely against the idea of one of the largest comic companies/universes in history.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were not created to be part of a shared universe. That was something that developed over time, but it's not innate to the characters.

Any characters that can't carry movies without being part of a shared cinematic universe... maybe aren't worth making movies about.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Except Batman has had a solid trilogy, multiple actually, Not particularly DCEU but the character himself.
Wonder Woman carried her solo
Aquaman hit 1.2 Billion
Superman had a debatably good solo film

All without major universe connections

That leaves Flash and Cyborg who were supposed to be getting solos in the next year or so.

Yes they should focus on solos. No they shouldn't throw out the idea of culminations between heroes because JL didn't work.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:Except Batman has had a solid trilogy, multiple actually, Not particularly DCEU but the character himself.
Aquaman hit 1.2 Billion

That leaves Flash and Cyborg who were supposed to be getting solos in the next year or so.
Thank you for helping make my point, which is that the characters don't need to be part of a connected universe.
Yes they should focus on solos. No they shouldn't throw out the idea of culminations between heroes because JL didn't work.
I never said that they should throw it out, only that it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if they did.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Except Batman has had a solid trilogy, multiple actually, Not particularly DCEU but the character himself.
Aquaman hit 1.2 Billion

Thank you for helping make my point, which is that the characters don't need to be part of a connected universe.
I never said that they should throw it out, only that it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if they did.
Can they work as strictly standalone characters? Sure. Doesn't mean they should.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KManX89 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Aquaman hit 1.2 Billion

Can they work as strictly standalone characters? Sure. Doesn't mean they should.
Are you saying that it would be somehow wrong to let the characters simply have solo movies?

Just doing solo movies means missing the opportunity to have a shared universe. Having a shared universe means giving up the opportunity to craft unique solo universes for each character. Either could be equally interesting or entertaining, and it just comes down to what kinds of stories the filmmakers feel most compelled to tell.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The One and Only
Futurian

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by The One and Only »

Not on the Cinematic Front, but getting a lot of positive vibes with the fans so far. On the CW's SUPERGIRL. It's been making a lot of news since announced. John Cryer as Lex Luthor. Advert for the episode he's appearing, "Oh Brother, Where art though ?"
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

He looks and definitely has the acting chops for it. But after years of watching him get shat on by Charlie Harper, idk if I can take him seriously

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

_JNavs_ wrote:He looks and definitely has the acting chops for it. But after years of watching him get shat on by Charlie Harper, idk if I can take him seriously
Watching Alan Harper get harassed by his brother, mother, a bitchy, controlling ex-wife, and life in general. I always thought the character was two , maybe one step away from being a serial killer, or at least going on a killing spree. Cryer can pull it off. I always point to GET OUT showing us how these comedians, or those known for their humor. Have one heck of a dark side just ready to be tapped.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah, I'd much rather have some super solid solo films. No more crossovers for a while, let the recent animated films give a fill of subpar character packed flicks.

Anyway, I'm glad Matt Reeves' Batman film is taking him back to his detective roots, especially since ya know, DC stands for "Detective Comics". Hopefully it'll have strong, not overbloated storytelling like Mask of the Phantasm.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So lets see, this year has seen.

James Gunn is now directing "The Suicide Squad"

Ben Affleck out as Batman

Idris Elba replacing Will Smith as Deadshot in "The Suicide Squad"

and now...

Ezra Miller may be recast as The Flash unless the darker script he's writing can change Warner Bros. and DC Films' minds. He reportedly does not see eye-to-eye with the take that Daley and Goldstein have. So WB has to choose whether they're dropping the directors, or keeping Millers new script reportedly due by next week.

"Warner Bros. agreed to let Miller write his own draft of the script that could be done by next week, but if they don't take to Miller's script, they will likely recast the role - unless he then agrees to stay on for Daley and Goldstein's approach."

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

eabaker wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Are you saying that it would be somehow wrong to let the characters simply have solo movies?

Just doing solo movies means missing the opportunity to have a shared universe. Having a shared universe means giving up the opportunity to craft unique solo universes for each character. Either could be equally interesting or entertaining, and it just comes down to what kinds of stories the filmmakers feel most compelled to tell.
Not at all. Like I said, they can work as simply standalone characters, doesn't mean they shouldn't at least entertain the idea of doing crossovers after giving them a reasonable amount of solo films (i.e: Flashpoint movie). Likewise, you could argue the same for the MCU characters, but then we never would've gotten the Avengers films, Civil War, Thor: Ragnarok, etc.

Then again, it might be for the best seeing how every attempt of theirs at doing crossovers so far has been a complete failure, while Wonder Woman and Aquaman proved to be steps in the right direction. I wouldn't mind if they stick with what works for the time being.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by MandaSaurus »

Looking forward to SHAZAM! It looks like a LOT of fun, and it has the lowest budget( $80-90 mil. )of any DC film so far( in MODERN times ). I always preferred the Big Red Cheese to Supes, in the comics. Makes more sense than the "alien on earth" scenario - if this were so, why wouldn't we have a WHOLE BUNCH of super-powered humanoids on Earth? I already picked up the Thunder Punch Shazam and True Moves 12" figures from Mattel. Hard to find undamaged packaging for these...
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.