DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by Rhedosaurus »

_JNavs_ wrote:Superman had a debatably good solo film
Actually, Man Of Steel was supposed to make at least $1 billion. I've seen $1.2 before.

https://variety.com/2013/film/news/warn ... 200493334/

So even that movie underperformed.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Box office performance isn't necessarily an indication of quality, though. Bad movies often succeed, and good movies often don't.

MOS is middle of the road for me, incidentally.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It appears Shazam is being favorably compared to both WW and Aquaman. Seems like this attitude of "its DC so it's gonna suck" is slowly fading away.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:It appears Shazam is being favorably compared to both WW and Aquaman. Seems like this attitude of "its DC so it's gonna suck" is slowly fading away.
Well if it's being compared to Aquaman it pretty much does the exact opposite of that.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Tell that to the billion plus BO. (I know BO does equate "good" but its still pretty huge for DC).

Added in 4 days 2 hours 48 minutes 13 seconds:
Shazam seems to be getting quite a bit of praise from the critics. Sci-Fi Now magazine gave it 5 stars.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I'm disappointed that the Batman: Hush adaptation is gonna be in the same continuity as all of DC's recent films - I don't like the guy who plays Batman, his voice is so dull, and then there's Damian Wayne. I was hoping it would get its own spotlight like The Dark Knight Returns, complete with some of Jim Lee's art style - the art style they're still going with is so lame. Maybe I'm just spoiled by how good the likes of Phantasm were. Atleast we'll get to see Joker, and a certain someone who's behind the scenes.

Shazam looks to be pretty good, maybe it's simplicity will help it. Heard good reviews so far.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Joker got a new poster, Looks great. Teaser trailer tomorrow, Can't wait.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

xolta
GPN Volunteer

Post by xolta »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:It appears Shazam is being favorably compared to both WW and Aquaman. Seems like this attitude of "its DC so it's gonna suck" is slowly fading away.
Here's hoping Shazam gives us one good Captain Marvell movie this year, Because the mcu's attempt was frankly not grate sorry.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by _JNavs_ »

As expected this film looks like a character study, and a masterpiece.. Joaquin so far looks like he's giving an Oscar worthy performance, and just overall this trailer was amazing.

https://twitter.com/jokermovie/status/1 ... 2574034945

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Not sure how I feel about the new Joker film.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Looks fantastic.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I am completely on-board for Joker. From the get-go, I've been more interested in this than anything DC has put out since the Nolan bat trilogy.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:I am completely on-board for Joker. From the get-go, I've been more interested in this than anything DC has put out since the Nolan bat trilogy.
I've been the same way, and the trailer solidified my excitement for the film. It looks fantastic.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Living Corpse wrote:Not sure how I feel about the new Joker film.
Same because not knowing what Joker's actual origin is what makes it scarier as with the xenomorphs. I wish media would stop demysteryifying everything that isn't needed.

Although I will give The Killing Joke some credit that it makes it clear whether that origin wasn't true or not. Because lets be frank I think Joker is scarier not knowing how he came to be whether he was a tragic desperate man or a bad man made worst and I like it to be kept that way.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Same because not knowing what Joker's actual origin is what makes it scarier as with the xenomorphs. I wish media would stop demysteryifying everything that isn't needed.

Although I will give The Killing Joke some credit that it makes it clear whether that origin wasn't true or not.
The one key difference between this and the Alien series, for me, is that Prometheus and Covenant were presenting their backstory as part of the ongoing series, meant to establish that stuff as canonical to the original. In the case of Joker, it's a self-contained story not intended to impact our reading of any other Joker stories.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

Although I will give The Killing Joke some credit that it makes it clear whether that origin wasn't true or not. Because lets be frank I think Joker is scarier not knowing how he came to be whether he was a tragic desperate man or a bad man made worst and I like it to be kept that way.
The beauty of this is nothing is saying it's the "definitive" origin for the Joker. No origin for him has. This seems to be more of a character study, and tale of mental illness, and what happens when a man is pushed too far. All elements of The Joker as a character.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Yeah, but when they finally start doing things right, they go back to doing stupid shit like making a TRENCH movie. This is right up there with Sony's planned Aunt May movie, only WB actually had the balls to go through with their shitty idea.

As for the Joker trailer, loved it. Joaquin Phoenix is great in everything he's in, and I love the direction they're going with this film. It looks like they'll be nailing the whole descent into madness storyline to a T judging by the trailer. I'l definitely be going opening night for this.

Oh, and judging by the trailer, this is definitely a grittier take on the character. Looks like the rumors of an R rating might have some merit, especially given the budget (it only cost $55 mil) and director (this is Todd Phillips, director of The Hangover series).
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:I am completely on-board for Joker. From the get-go, I've been more interested in this than anything DC has put out since the Nolan bat trilogy.
I've been the same way, and the trailer solidified my excitement for the film. It looks fantastic.
Definitely this, I've been hyped about this film since I heard a script was being written. Back then I had hoped it'd actually make it past the planning phase since we know how many super films end up falling onto the cutting room floor.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Wow, looks spectacular, my most anticipated 2019 film besides KOTM. Love seeing neat, one-off takes.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

JOKER Trailer.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.