DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Well, this looks like utter bullcrap.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

_JNavs_ wrote: When did CWs superhero shows get so terrible lol?
I have gotten very "meh" on the Arrowverse. Arrow never got bad, but it's in its last season. SG is decently well done, but the rest have gotten either stale or were never that good and haven't improved.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

As much as I love DC, i just can't get myself excited for Birds of Prey. The new trailer didnt do anything for me. However, my girlfriend loves Harley Quinn so I'm probably gonna end up seeing it anyway :?

The new animated Deathstroke show is dope af though. Much better than the newer CW shows.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I stopped caring for Arrow halfway through season 2. Deathstroke could have been super badass but turned into kind of a winey bitch. Summer Glau was the best thing about season 2.... or was that season 3?

Added in 3 days 22 hours 34 minutes 20 seconds:
Apparently in the wake of the Crisis crossover Black Lightning's Earth and Supergirl's Earth have been officially combined with the main Arrowverse as Earth Prime and the heroes officially forming the Justice League in Oliver's memory.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Well, I finally saw Joker

Excellent film over all. some minor things that kept it from perfection but over all, a perfect thriller. Loved the excellently executed tone shift, from feeling sympathetic to Arthur and his plight to the ending, where I was disturbed to see how far both he and Gotham had fallen.
I especially love the unreliability of it. Very sure only about 40% of the film actually happens. Either way, great way of putting us in the messed up, not all together, world of Joker.

I gotta be honest on the cast side, the entire supporting cast kind of got screwed lmao. they were all great (even Brian Tyree Henry's bit part was amazing) but they all got shafted compared to Joquain. Not only a good take on Joker and so on, but just wonderful acting together. finding a way to hint which laugh is real, fake, conditioned, intentional. subtle art.

Another thing I have to praise is the score. hildur made a ominous and haunting score. certainly something deserving of this praise. Soooooooo, while these were my main likes, I had a few dislikes. Of course, like I said, they don't detract from the whole film but they bugged me.
Certain things tbh, like for a single scene. for example, I kinda felt like Phillips wasn't really confident in some of the scenes. It kind of harmed the impact. imagine how much more impactful the Wayne murder would have been if we just saw that lone clown protestor look towards the fleeing Waynes and cut to Bruce standing emotionless over his parent's body in the epilogue. though on that note, I want to say I'm a contrarian and didn't mind that Batman was in the film. Even if it was just to point out they're connected, it wasn't some film messing up event like some make it seem.

again, these problems didnt mess the film up for me.
To reiterate a point many have made, the things this film does well and what it means for the future of comic book films means more then a few things I feel could have done better.

You know, though, he could have worn more purple. ;)

9/10. if this is the frontrunner for the Oscars people are annoyed about, I can't wait to see what comes next :)

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Batman wasn’t in the film though, Bruce Wayne was. ;)

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Ironic really. For all the poop I gave Joker it ended up being the opposite for me with It: Chapter Two which was one of my most anticipated films last year. Joker being one of my top 3 favorites of 2019 and It: Chapter Two both being my most disappointing and among the worst.

What I love about Joker the most is it truly captures the character in spirit especially given the ending.
Spoiler:
For all we know everything Arthur told the psychiatrist could of all been made up in his head. Heck the ending might have not happened. That's the point of the character what if this was real or this wasn't. :huge:

One theory could be even the ending is years after Arthur was defeated by Batman.
That said I'm glad I decided to give the film a go. I would had been really missing out on such an movie experience.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I saw Joker on Thanksgiving and really liked it, even if it does borrow a lot of it's beats from Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. It probably doesn't deserve all the awards it's nominated for (not because it's bad, but because there are some pretty good films in competition like Once Upon A Time In Hollywood) but it definitely deserves to win a few because not only was it good but because fuck everyone crying about it
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

G2000 wrote:I saw Joker on Thanksgiving and really liked it, even if it does borrow a lot of it's beats from Taxi Driver and King of Comedy.
Joker has made me want to give those two films a look. Currently on my Amazon wishlist as we speak.

And nothing wrong with borrowing elements from other films just as long as its executed well which Joker did. IMO at least though.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
G2000 wrote:I saw Joker on Thanksgiving and really liked it, even if it does borrow a lot of it's beats from Taxi Driver and King of Comedy.
Joker has made me want to give those two films a look. Currently on my Amazon wishlist as we speak.

And nothing wrong with borrowing elements from other films just as long as its executed well which Joker did. IMO at least though.
I thought it borrowed from The Killing Joke (what with the whole failed comedian and going crazy plot) and the TV skit scene from The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 when
Spoiler:
Joker kills Murray.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

KManX89 wrote:I thought it borrowed from The Killing Joke (what with the whole failed comedian and going crazy plot) and the TV skit scene from The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 when
Spoiler:
Joker kills Murray.
That it did along with the two I mentioned above.

As said though very well executed which is the only thing that matters for a film. ;)

Added in 9 hours 31 minutes 4 seconds:
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1221927006448898049

Filming for Matt Reeve's The Batman has officially begun.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Birds of Prey looks weeeeird. Like, really weird.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

tyrantgoji wrote:Birds of Prey looks weeeeird. Like, really weird.
Looks like total poop to me.

SoggyNoodles2016

Birds of Prey hasn't really struck me as good, but it looks different so I'm happy it exists. At least it looks like it'll be fun to watch unlike Just Forget She Died And Pretend This Came 6 Years Earlier: A Marvel Story lol

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Birds of Prey hasn't really struck me as good, but it looks different so I'm happy it exists. At least it looks like it'll be fun to watch unlike Just Forget She Died And Pretend This Came 6 Years Earlier: A Marvel Story lol
Yeah Black Widow certainly doesn't look very exciting. :lol:

I'll probably rent Birds of Prey when it comes out on DVD, just to see how it is.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

tyrantgoji wrote:Yeah Black Widow certainly doesn't look very exciting. :lol:
Ditto here. Totally burned out by MCU films at this point (Besides Guardians 3 and Doctor Strange 2). Trailer didn't do anything for me especially knowing its usual formula and vibe (Which I've been feeling since Civil War) notably the jokey jokes.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I agree that a Black Widow movie should have happened years ago, but we don't know that this particular movie isn't happening when it is for a perfectly valid in-universe reason. And super-people rarely stay dead, of course. Black Widow's death even involved a stone that controls souls which was guarded by a living dead man. If that doesn't give her a way out, nothing will. :lol:

But yeah, the trailer isn't making me want to rush out and see the movie. It'll be worth a rental, no doubt, but I don't know if I'll see it in theaters.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Birds of Prey hasn't really struck me as good, but it looks different so I'm happy it exists. At least it looks like it'll be fun to watch unlike Just Forget She Died And Pretend This Came 6 Years Earlier: A Marvel Story lol
But A Poor Man's Gender-Swapped Deadpool With a Dose of Pedophilia: The Movie doesn't look very exciting, either.
Last edited by KManX89 on Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

SoggyNoodles2016

KManX89 wrote:
But A Poor Man's Gender-Swapped Deadpool With a Dose of Pedophilia: The Movie doesn't look very exciting, either.
I mean, no? But it's unique at least.

I'm afraid to know what the pedophilia thing is about.

RIP Evan.

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

I feel like I’m in the minority here, but I am absolutely pumped to see Birds of Prey. I like Robbie’s Harley, and the film looks like it’s fun with enough action. Plus, I finally get to see Black Canary on the big screen, which is a huge plus for me. Seen only snippets of the Canary Cry, but it looks cool so far.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."