DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by KManX89 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Meg is a giant shark that can swallow people whole. The gore would have just come across as forced and edgy. I probably wouldn't have even bothered with it.
So I take it you didn't bother with Jaws then? :lol: That film was bloody and graphic as hell. No doubt it would be R if it were released today, and Poltergeist would be given an R rating today for the face-peeling scene alone. I highly doubt whatever violence had to be cut from The Meg to avoid an R rating was as graphic or gory as the deaths in Jaws.

I'm not one to advocate for edgier films just for the sake of it (I already said Star Trek's supposed R rating doesn't make sense), but for a film like this and others, I don't see how they can possibly be anything less than R (how can you make a movie about a guy going beserk and becoming a mass murderer in clown makeup NOT be rated R?).

Hell, there's actually a vid that explains how watering down films geared towards an R rating can and has ruined many of them (most relevant bit starts at 6:57):

:

It also completely dismantles the "PG-13 movies are more explicit today" argument (I never understood this argument, having bodies drop like trees in the background after gunshots isn't "violent" in any way regardless of body count). Hell, BvS couldn't even have the full Africa scene without getting an R rating, which was relevant to the plot, once again proving how PG-13 limitations can negatively affect the story and they're not as lax about violence as people pretend like they are.
Last edited by KManX89 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Jaws is not that graphic when you think about it. Its nothing like trash like Piranha 3D which I keep hearing brought up whenever Meg is mentioned. Hell Jurassic Park in the novel was fairly gory and violent and it was toned down considerably for the film yet you hear almost nobody bitching about that.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Jaws is not that graphic when you think about it. Its nothing like trash like Piranha 3D which I keep hearing brought up whenever Meg is mentioned. Hell Jurassic Park in the novel was fairly gory and violent and it was toned down considerably for the film yet you hear almost nobody bitching about that.
People getting devoured with blood gushing everywhere, a severed leg falling to the ocean floor also with blood, a guy coughing up blood as he gets swallowed whole, woman getting eaten with full frontal nudity, definitely more than modern day PG-13 will allow.

I sincerely doubt the self-censored violence from The Meg was as bad.

Like I said, BvS couldn't even give us the whole Africa shootout/chase scene without getting an R rating-and thereby leaving out an important detail painting Superman as a suspect with the burnt corpse-so there's no way in hell Jaws would be given anything less than R today, not a chance.

The MPAA's standards for movies were ridiculously lenient back then, more than today, not the other way around as that vid pointed out.

Also, Stay Alive and Babylon A.D. had important scenes which explained what was happening cut out because they were deemed too violent for a PG-13 much like the BvS theatrical cut did as said vid explains.

So yes, PG-13 limitations can and have derailed a movie's plot, especially studio-meddled ones after the fact, so I welcome a Joker origin movie without PG-13 limitations with open arms (seriously, why the hell shouldn't it be R? :lol:).

And plenty of people bitched about the neutered, erratically-shot zombie scenes in World War Z, also in the vid, which I still haven't forgiven Paramount for. I'm a zombiephile and naturally want no less than bloody savagery in zombie films.

I also want to know what the hell's going on in my movies.
Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:16 am, edited 7 times in total.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

AQUAMAN director, James Wan, and producer of the upcoming spinoff flick, THE TRENCH, Featuring the monstrous denizens of the deep that damn near devoured Aquaman and Mera. Talks about how the flick will play less of a superhero movie, and more of a creature feature, horror film.
https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/new ... ster-movie
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

The One and Only wrote:AQUAMAN director, James Wan, and producer of the upcoming spinoff flick, THE TRENCH, Featuring the monstrous denizens of the deep that damn near devoured Aquaman and Mera. Talks about how the flick will play less of a superhero movie, and more of a creature feature, horror film.
https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/new ... ster-movie
TBH, making a Trench movie sounds like a stupid idea and is just one of many examples of why people don't have much faith in WB. Just when they finally start doing good things, they then proceed to follow that up by doing stupid shit again. Between this and the rumored Joker plot twist, it's easy to see why people feel this way.

Still, if anyone can make that work, it's James Wan, who's pretty much the master of horror.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I just got done with my first viewing of Aquaman. I dragged my feet and passed up multiple opportunities to see it in theaters because... well, it's (sort of) a DCEU movie. Jason Momoa's Aquaman did nothing for me in Justice League, why should a whole movie about him be any better?

Holy freaking crap. :lol:

I had a big, dumb, gushing paragraph written about the points I liked, but my browser deleted it, so suffice to say I had a blast with the visually stunning, total-embrace-of-undersea-lunacy that this film allowed itself to be. I would put it at the level of an average MCU movie, and am glad to see DC finally being intelligent in its efforts to imitate Marvel.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I've been a fan of Venom since I was a kid the film did.not.need to be R rated. Deadpool needs to be R rated, Wolverine benefits from an R rating and while Venom would benefit he can play in pg 13 fine as we saw.

Now Carnage is going to be watered down.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

JAGzilla wrote:I just got done with my first viewing of Aquaman. I dragged my feet and passed up multiple opportunities to see it in theaters because... well, it's (sort of) a DCEU movie. Jason Momoa's Aquaman did nothing for me in Justice League, why should a whole movie about him be any better?

Holy freaking crap. :lol:

I had a big, dumb, gushing paragraph written about the points I liked, but my browser deleted it, so suffice to say I had a blast with the visually stunning, total-embrace-of-undersea-lunacy that this film allowed itself to be. I would put it at the level of an average MCU movie, and am glad to see DC finally being intelligent in its efforts to imitate Marvel.
I actually found the first act or so to be kinda weak but it really picks up after the big fight with Black Manta.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

miguelnuva wrote:I've been a fan of Venom since I was a kid the film did.not.need to be R rated. Deadpool needs to be R rated, Wolverine benefits from an R rating and while Venom would benefit he can play in pg 13 fine as we saw.

Now Carnage is going to be watered down.
Not sure what this has to do with anything in this thread, this isn't the MCU or Venom thread unless it's in response to the vid I posted, in which case, I agree. That vid was spot on.

Glad Joker is going R. It won't guarantee it'll be any good, but it'll mean more creative freedom for a movie that could certainly use it. You're talking about a failed comedian going beserk and becoming a mass murderer in clown makeup. No reason that should be shackled by PG-13 limitations.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

DC’s solo films have all been very solid to great in my opinion, and I’m honestly very curious and excited about other characters they could tackle if they continued down this solo/one-off elseworld path. With a potential Batman trilogy in the works that delves into his more detective side, an SS reboot thing with Gunn at the helm, Wonder Woman 84, Joker, and whatever else is coming... I’m beginning to find myself more intrigued by what DC is doing than Marvel.

That’s honestly mainly due to Endgame being such a satisfying payoff, that now I’m like, “okay, I don’t feel the need to follow these films as closely as I’ve done for the last decade”. And, aside from GotG 3, Dr. Strange 2, and Black Panther 2 (and whenever they introduce both the X-Men and FF down the road), I’m not really looking forward to anything else from Marvel at the moment.

#BotM

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Godzilla165 wrote:DC’s solo films have all been very solid to great in my opinion, and I’m honestly very curious and excited about other characters they could tackle if they continued down this solo/one-off elseworld path. With a potential Batman trilogy in the works that delves into his more detective side, an SS reboot thing with Gunn at the helm, Wonder Woman 84, Joker, and whatever else is coming... I’m beginning to find myself more intrigued by what DC is doing than Marvel.

That’s honestly mainly due to Endgame being such a satisfying payoff, that now I’m like, “okay, I don’t feel the need to follow these films as closely as I’ve done for the last decade”. And, aside from GotG 3, Dr. Strange 2, and Black Panther 2 (and whenever they introduce both the X-Men and FF down the road), I’m not really looking forward to anything else from Marvel at the moment.
I just think it's stupid how they're supposedly rebooting Batman for the third time in 5 years with no connection to the elderly Batfleck with years worth of stories to tell on his character. Word on the street is Robert Pattinson's Batman won't be a younger version of Affleck's Bats like originally reported and will be its own thing, which defeats the whole purpose of giving us an elderly Batman in BvS and passing the mantle off to a younger actor in the first place. Talk about wasted potential.

Then again, this is WB we're talking about, who make all kinds of stupid decisions on their characters/movies even when they've supposedly turned a new leaf and finally started making good/decent films.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'm fine with this news tbh, it's solidifying itself as a character piece, a gangster film, potentially not only a classic, but a spiritual successor to TDK.

____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I haven't read any of the Joker comics, so this is a non-issue for me. Frankly a good idea, too; well-executed innovation should generally be prioritized over imitation.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

JAGzilla wrote:I haven't read any of the Joker comics, so this is a non-issue for me. Frankly a good idea, too; well-executed innovation should generally be prioritized over imitation.
I have read a plethora of the Joker comics and it's still a non-issue for me. This seems like the right way to handle the Joker as a character, and for the particular narrative they're telling.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

The whole point of the Joker in the comics is that you don’t know for sure where he came from. So they’re not really stepping on much by just totally doing their own thing.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

This talks about the real reason why WB won't show us the Snyder cut. Hint: It's not about the money.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So we may possibly get a Joker 2 depending on how well the first goes.

Todd Philips said “One thing I will tell you: I would do anything with Joaquin, any day of the week,” he says. “There’s nobody like him. If he was willing to do it, and if people show up to this movie, and Warners came to us and said, ‘You know what? If you guys could think of something…’ Well, I have a feeling that he and I could think of something pretty cool.”

https://www.gamesradar.com/joker-2-movi ... interview/

I'm really hoping we finally get to see an Oscar winning Joker in more than one film.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

_JNavs_ wrote:So we may possibly get a Joker 2 depending on how well the first goes.

Todd Philips said “One thing I will tell you: I would do anything with Joaquin, any day of the week,” he says. “There’s nobody like him. If he was willing to do it, and if people show up to this movie, and Warners came to us and said, ‘You know what? If you guys could think of something…’ Well, I have a feeling that he and I could think of something pretty cool.”

I'm really hoping we finally get to see an Oscar winning Joker in more than one film.
Phoenix turned down the MCU on the grounds of not wanting to make more than one film, though.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KManX89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:So we may possibly get a Joker 2 depending on how well the first goes.

Phoenix turned down the MCU on the grounds of not wanting to make more than one film, though.
Yeah, but that would have been signing a multi-film contract from the get-go, as opposed to simply taking the option of revisiting the character at his own discretion.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Joker had it's premiere at the Venice Film Festival to an "eight minute standing ovation".