DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I guess this film is still part of the DCEU, technically? But if Batman is younger, nothing except the WW films will have happened yet.

I think a cool way to go about it would be just to kind of quietly reboot the whole thing. Like, not make any big announcement or fanfare over it, but just kind of situate this movie in a living, breathing, already up and running DC universe where the other heroes exist. Maybe the WW films and Shazam, possibly Aquaman (haven’t seen it yet), would still be canon, but nothing else. Stuff can be referenced if it comes up organically, but not to set up any other movies - the DC universe is just already happening, and this just happens to be a Batman story set in it.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:What I really want to see most out of this new Batman is his detective skills. We’ve seen how good of a fighter he is plenty of times, but haven’t really delved into the other end of what makes Batman so potent. I want to be able to sit there and watch him figure a case out piece by piece, whilst I’m trying to do the same thing in my mind. I feel as though, if done right, that could be a very, very interesting and suspenseful scenario.

I’ve seen the physical power and prowess, now give me that raw genius level intellect and let me see the, “World’s Greatest Detective”, in action.
I believe Matt Reeves said he wanted his film to explore Batman's detective skills.
Did he? That’s awesome news then, as I’ve always felt like the film adaptions never really focused on the aspect that, in my opinion, is more important to Batman than his excellent fighting skills.

Hopefully we get some properly intriguing and suspenseful cases out of this new movie.

#BotM

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

It looks like the DCEU might end sooner then later after all.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/wb-repo ... Xyf8oWS3BE

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:It looks like the DCEU might end sooner then later after all.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/wb-repo ... Xyf8oWS3BE
They're talking about the DC Universe steaming app, not the DCEU.

RIP Evan.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Joaquin Phoenix Joker film officially rated R.

We kinda knew this was coming seeing how Todd Phillips has exclusively directed R-rated films and it touches on Joker's dark origin, but I'm on board because this means we get to see the Joker in all his menacing glory. This is a movie where I feel an R rating is actually warranted, unlike the (rumored?) Tarantino Star Trek film, which is supposedly going R just for the sake of it.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Watch that they eventually change their mind and make it PG-13 as Sony did with Venom to draw an bigger crowd and as Warner Bros. did with The Meg.

Mark my words. It will happen.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Watch that they eventually change their mind and make it PG-13 as Sony did with Venom to draw an bigger crowd and as Warner Bros. did with The Meg.

I highly doubt it seeing how it’s only 4 months til release and it was clearly budgeted for an R rating at only $55 mil. Plus the director has solely done R-rated films in the past, so I think we’re in good hands.

I wouldn’t put it past em, though. This is WB we’re talking about.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

So does the Joker movie actually fit into the same cinematic universe as Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, Wonder Woman and the rest, or is it a standalone?

I assumed standalone, but I'm not really sure.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GojiDog wrote:So does the Joker movie actually fit into the same cinematic universe as Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, Wonder Woman and the rest, or is it a standalone?

I assumed standalone, but I'm not really sure.
Far as I've understood, it's been a standalone from the get-go. Even before all this mix up with the DCEU.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Now if only they could commit to making nothing but standalone movies...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Watch that they eventually change their mind and make it PG-13 as Sony did with Venom to draw an bigger crowd and as Warner Bros. did with The Meg.

I'm gonna say it.

Venom was never supposed to be R.

I never remembered a SINGLE word from Sony about it being R. I honestly think people guessed it and we all decided it was true.

Right on with The Meg though but I doubt they can do it with Joker

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah lmao, Venom was never intended to be R. That was a pipe dream.

Nonetheless they still managed to have Venom decapitate multiple people, two shown on screen. So I never understood the complaint that there "wasn't enough gore".
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Making Venom PG-13 was a mistake to begin with. Simple as that.

As with The Meg (Although I still enjoyed it overall). Wish they would had at least came out with an extended R rated cut on disc for that.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Making Venom PG-13 was a mistake to begin with. Simple as that.
Why?

It did everything it needed to do.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:Why?

Something like Venom should never be toned down. That's why.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Why?

Something like Venom should never be toned down. That's why.
It wasn't.

The decapitations and fatalities were still included.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:It wasn't.

While shrouded in shadow and not shown excessively. Should had gone all out as The Meg did (Think of the beach scene that could had been like at the spring break event in Piranha 3D but bigger with the Meg chopping on beach goers). The potential was there. So much impaling and such that could had happened.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

While shrouded in shadow and not shown excessively. Should had gone all out as The Meg did (Think of the beach scene that could had been like at the spring break event in Piranha 3D but bigger with the Meg chopping on beach goers). The potential was there. So much impaling and such that could had happened.
How would the story have benefitted from the violence being more explicit?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Meg is a giant shark that can swallow people whole. The gore would have just come across as forced and edgy. I probably wouldn't have even bothered with it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

eabaker wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

How would the story have benefitted from the violence being more explicit?
For the Meg, a shark who can swallow you whole, I agree more explicit violence isn't necessary. For Venom however, while I agree it wouldn't benefit the story any, the character is a lot like Deadpool in that the uber explicit and excessive bloody gory violence is part of the appeal. A lot of his fans want to see the blood spewing. Me personally though, I can take it or leave it and enjoyed the movie fine as is, but I'm not some super Venom fan.

Good(~ish) movie though, it was more fun than I expected it to be. Honestly, with how well they handled Venom and Spider-Verse I'm actually looking forward to seeing Sony tackle Spider-Man outside of the MCU again, assuming they don't do another deal with Marvel and make solo non-MCU Spidey films again.

But this is the DC thread so...I'm looking forward to Joker.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.