DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
17%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
48%

Total votes: 42

Futurian

Re: Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by 3000 »

Wonder Woman was downright amazing compared to DC's output post-The Dark Knight imo. Cannot wait to get in on bluray. Better than alot of the phase one marvel films imo

Can a mod that sees this update the poll with Wonder Woman? Will deff get my vote as best DCEU film
Member of TK Since 2006

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

DC's best movie since the Nolan days is also the one that Zack Snyder had the least influence on. It should be a lesson to them, but won't be.

Still not a fan of how DC does humor (it relies too heavily on "the awkward conversation"), but WW is miles ahead of the other parts of DCEU. Competent writing, simple to follow good vs. evil storytelling, solid side characters and role players adding interest to scenes when Gadot would stand out as inexperienced otherwise. Wonder Woman isn't perfect but it is summer blockbuster material just about at its' best.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

TheSecondComing wrote:DC's best movie since the Nolan days is also the one that Zack Snyder had the least influence on. It should be a lesson to them, but won't be.

Still not a fan of how DC does humor (it relies too heavily on "the awkward conversation"), but WW is miles ahead of the other parts of DCEU. Competent writing, simple to follow good vs. evil storytelling, solid side characters and role players adding interest to scenes when Gadot would stand out as inexperienced otherwise. Wonder Woman isn't perfect but it is summer blockbuster material just about at its' best.

I really want to hate on Snyder here but he has the main story credit for Wonder Woman i believe. So he did have some input on this movie's success/quality. How much input exactly is up on the air.

Bulk of the credit definitely goes to Jenkins but i shit all over Snyder so much i would feel bad if i didnt give him some credit here.
Member of TK Since 2006

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

Also clearly some of Snyder's visual style was put into WW, so I'm sure he had some hand in it. Probably just consistency stuff though.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Patty Jenkins did an AMA on Reddit where she was asked the following:

-how much influence did Zack or Geoff John's have on the movie?

To which she responded:

-I think Zack mostly had an influence in getting things back in order to be a good origin story, and then Geoff and I worked super closely to work on the script and the story and Zack was a great producer, but creatively they gave me the reins.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I wonder when we'll receive news on MOS2. They were going to make that a priority if I recall, and I would think it'd do better (if it's decent) than a Shazam or Aquaman movie - not that I don't want those as well. Vaughn would be great.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Danny Elfman to compose score for Justice League! Interesting.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... re-1013319
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

GigaBowserG wrote:Danny Elfman to compose score for Justice League! Interesting.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... re-1013319
Considering that his Batman score is (to me) as much a part of the character as the cape and cowl, I am very okay with this.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

I just hope the Wonder Woman theme stays. You can't scrap that masterpiece.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

I hope Elfman is given a chance to do something very interesting. He produces such good scores, but modern movies don't ever let music take center stage like our favorite monster-starring Japanese films do.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I hope Elfman brings back his Batman theme! If nothing else it would be a good PR move on DCs part.

I'm a lifelong DC fan, I love these characters so much, and I was so happy that Wonder Woman was even half-decent. BVS wounded me beyond description. That said, I still have a lot of doubts for Justice League, even now that Joss Whedon is aboard. Most of the footage is already shot, how much can he do really?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I hope Elfman brings back his Batman theme!
That theme is a part of a very different type of Batman movie. For good or ill, I'd rather that DC focus on creating a unique vision for these films, rather than try to recapture the past.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Since they're off Han Solo now, I hope Phil Lord and Chris Miller get put back on Flash. It may not have worked for Disney, but I think they're sensibility would be perfect for the Scarlet Speedster.

Also, now that the reviews for War for the Planet of the Apes are coming in, I'm starting to get real stoked about Matt Reeves' The Batman.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by ernesth100 »

The One and Only wrote:Amber Heard's first shot in AQUAMAN as Mera is right out of the comic books.
http://tweens.screenweek.it/files/2017/ ... d-mera.jpg
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/18 ... ht-comics/
This is way too sexy.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

They could be great with Barry Allen.

I still want a fresh Constantine and Swamp Thing movies.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Personally I think the DCEU is about to do a full U Turn. Become better or just as good as the MCU.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I continue to think that the DCEU is a complete garbage fire (get some saturated colors and a few smiles, ya hippies! ;) )... but I must say, Wonder Woman was pretty darn good.

"They don't deserve her," indeed. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:(get some saturated colors and a few smiles, ya hippies! ;) )
I know you're just being playful here, but I do find "hippies" a delightfully ironic choice under the circumstances. If anything, I'd say that the dour, colorless look and feel established in this series is the natural choice for Zach Snyder's Objectivist take on the subject matter. About as far from a loving, empathetic and psychedelic hippie perspective or style as you can get. :D
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:(get some saturated colors and a few smiles, ya hippies! ;) )
I know you're just being playful here, but I do find "hippies" a delightfully ironic choice under the circumstances. If anything, I'd say that the dour, colorless look and feel established in this series is the natural choice for Zach Snyder's Objectivist take on the subject matter. About as far from a loving, empathetic and psychedelic hippie perspective or style as you can get. :D
That did occur to me when writing it- but as cliches go, it was either that or 'get off my lawn'. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I have higher hopes for The Batman now that War for the Planet of the Apes is getting all that 'masterpiece' buzz. Then again, Chris Terrio has an oscar...