Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
9%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1%
Thor (2011)
1%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
4%
The Avengers (2012)
8%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
1%
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
9%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2%
Ant-Man (2015)
1%
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
6%
Doctor Strange (2016)
2%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
4%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
3%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
7%
Black Panther (2018)
2%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
11%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
1%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
9%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
4%

Total votes: 403

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by miguelnuva »

Disney and Sony are both at fault. Disney is at fault because they're greedy. Sony is at fault because they make bad film decisions. Disney is greedy and is clearly in the wrong. Sony however is taking another chance on getting them selves in trouble with bad filming decisions which is why they went to Disney in the first place.

The only real losers here are the fans but they might be alright as well.

Best case Scenario: Spidey stays in the mcu or we get Spiderman crossing over with Venom and maybe the Black suit again. The Mcu will be busy and while we will miss Spiderman in the mcu it will be ok.

Worst case scenario: Sony goes back to subpar or bad Spiderman films and have to go back to Disney.

Say what you want about Dinsey and their politics as well but if the Mcu starts to head down the Star Wars path like some are thinking maybe it's best Spiderman did get out of there.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

miguelnuva wrote:Disney and Sony are both at fault. Disney is at fault because they're greedy. Sony is at fault because they make bad film decisions. Disney is greedy and is clearly in the wrong. Sony however is taking another chance on getting them selves in trouble with bad filming decisions which is why they went to Disney in the first place.

Best case Scenario: Spidey stays in the mcu or we get Spiderman crossing over with Venom and maybe the Black suit again. The Mcu will be busy and while we will miss Spiderman in the mcu it will be ok.

Worst case scenario: Sony goes back to subpar or bad Spiderman films and have to go back to Disney.

Say what you want about Dinsey and their politics as well but if the Mcu starts to head down the Star Wars path like some are thinking maybe it's best Spiderman did get out of there.
I don't think the worst case scenario will happen. Spiderman will be fine without the MCU. Hell, just get the Spiderverse team to be the new Kevin Feige.

I think this could be good for Spiderman. We'll see him with Venom & Carnage. We might see Sony take risks and do films about the Clone Saga, Superior Spiderman, the Kraven/Spiderman buddy cop movie, Spider-Noir, Silk, and Spiderman 2099 - Stuff we'd never see from MCU playing it safe.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Yeah. MCU sucks, Spidey belongs with Sony.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

I think the one thing that would make me happy about this would be if Spider-Man 4 by Sam Raimi starring Tobey Maguire happened. I am incredibly frustrated that we may have to get yet another new Spider-Man. I want to see him move into new territory, not just stay doing all the same old same old.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Disney and Sony are both at fault. Disney is at fault because they're greedy. Sony is at fault because they make bad film decisions. Disney is greedy and is clearly in the wrong. Sony however is taking another chance on getting them selves in trouble with bad filming decisions which is why they went to Disney in the first place.

I don't think the worst case scenario will happen. Spiderman will be fine without the MCU. Hell, just get the Spiderverse team to be the new Kevin Feige.

I think this could be good for Spiderman. We'll see him with Venom & Carnage. We might see Sony take risks and do films about the Clone Saga, Superior Spiderman, the Kraven/Spiderman buddy cop movie, Spider-Noir, Silk, and Spiderman 2099 - Stuff we'd never see from MCU playing it safe.
Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and both (Un)Amazing Spider-Man films beg to differ.

And no, I didn't hate Venom, it wasn't bad, but nothing special, either. Whereas everybody seems to either love or hate it, I'm somewhere in the middle.

But yeah, Disney are being dicks and greedy about the whole situation. They already get all the merchandise profits and 5% of the ticket revenue. They make more money off merchandise alone than Sony does off the movies even with the Disney-branded ticket boost. Not only does Disney not need a 50/50 cut of the films' box office take, but Sony would end up making less than they did before they went to Disney to right the ship in the first place, so it ultimately helps no one.

IF the deal really is dead and buried, I can sympathize with Sony to a point, I just don't know if I can trust them (see above).
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:You know what, it would kind of be fantastic if they made a 4th Sam Raimi Spider-Man film
oh boy yeah

RIP Evan.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Basically
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:You know what, it would kind of be fantastic if they made a 4th Sam Raimi Spider-Man film
Back to formula. I would be so excited for this.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Back to formula. I would be so excited for this.
it be cool...but Toby's WAY to old to play the part now (Isn't he 40 something?)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

It’s fine, fuck it, we’ll recast him as Michael Cera
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

SoggyNoodles2016

Stump Feet wrote:It’s fine, skreeonk it, we’ll recast him as Michael Cera

RIP Evan.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Fish Cakes wrote:Really glad I skipped Far From Home now. Really loved Spider-verse, hope they do more like that. Homecoming was okay, but wasn't the best. I'd say the best part of the film was the Vulture of all unexpected things.
I think you made the right choice. I didn't really like Far From Home. Just a rinse and repeat of "I ****ing hate Tony Stark" instead of being about Spiderman. At some point, they have to rip the training wheels off and make Spiderman be his own person.
I thought Far From Home was okay but you're right in that it really, really took the "Iron Boy" stuff and turned it up to twenty. The villains are former Stark employees, Hogan is basically Peter's assistant now, Spider-Man even gets called "the next Iron Man" at one point, it's just tiresome.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Rami made a great trilogy but I always felt that his Spiderman wasn't Peter parker so while a SM4 would have been nice I'm not in a rush for it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote:Rami made a great trilogy but I always felt that his Spiderman wasn't Peter parker so while a SM4 would have been nice I'm not in a rush for it.
Look how well a fourth film worked for Batman back in '97.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

G2000 wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:Really glad I skipped Far From Home now. Really loved Spider-verse, hope they do more like that. Homecoming was okay, but wasn't the best. I'd say the best part of the film was the Vulture of all unexpected things.
I think you made the right choice. I didn't really like Far From Home. Just a rinse and repeat of "I ****ing hate Tony Stark" instead of being about Spiderman. At some point, they have to rip the training wheels off and make Spiderman be his own person.
I thought Far From Home was okay but you're right in that it really, really took the "Iron Boy" stuff and turned it up to twenty. The villains are former Stark employees, Hogan is basically Peter's assistant now, Spider-Man even gets called "the next Iron Man" at one point, it's just tiresome.
The MCU Spiderman movies did a good job at making safe but good superhero movies. But they're just serviceable movies and don't push any boundaries.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LegendZilla wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Rami made a great trilogy but I always felt that his Spiderman wasn't Peter parker so while a SM4 would have been nice I'm not in a rush for it.
Look how well a fourth film worked for Batman back in '97.
What does Batman have to do with this lol.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

^The fourth Batman movie was terrible, considered to be one of the worst movies ever made and from the script that leaked online Spider Man 4 would have followed suit as the movie sounded absolutely terrible and probably would have garnered worse critical reception than Spider Man 3.

As for the news about Spidey leaving the MCU I'm a little upset because Sony has proven that they really can't make a good live action Spider-Man movie any more. Tom Holland and Disney gave us the most comic accurate Peter Parker to date and I don't see Sony sticking to that especially since they basically can't reference the Disney owned Marvel stuff.

I'm hoping that a new deal can be reached because I would prefer Spider Man stay in the MCU especially now that we have X-Men and Fantastic Four joining the MCU.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

gvamp wrote:Tom Holland and Disney gave us the most comic accurate Peter Parker to date and I don't see Sony sticking to that especially since they basically can't reference the Disney owned Marvel stuff.
But we'll still be getting Tom Holland in the role, still directed by John Watts, and I don't know that there's any reason that they wouldn't bring back screenwriters Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers. I don't think the fact that they can't use the word "Avengers" (assuming that the two companies even really have completely and definitively parted ways as the Deadline report suggested) will do all that much damage.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SoggyNoodles2016

gvamp wrote:^The fourth Batman movie was terrible, considered to be one of the worst movies ever made and from the script that leaked online Spider Man 4 would have followed suit as the movie sounded absolutely terrible and probably would have garnered worse critical reception than Spider Man 3.
Good breakdown but two things
1. Batman Forever was a completely different team then the first Batman so it has LITTLE to do with this discussion.

2. That was Sony's script, not Sam Raimi's. His was similar but had next to nothing in common with that one.

RIP Evan.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

eabaker wrote:
gvamp wrote:Tom Holland and Disney gave us the most comic accurate Peter Parker to date and I don't see Sony sticking to that especially since they basically can't reference the Disney owned Marvel stuff.
But we'll still be getting Tom Holland in the role, still directed by John Watts, and I don't know that there's any reason that they wouldn't bring back screenwriters Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers. I don't think the fact that they can't use the word "Avengers" (assuming that the two companies even really have completely and definitively parted ways as the Deadline report suggested) will do all that much damage.
Not being able to reference MCU characters only MAY be problematic when they get to the Sinister Six. Because Vulture and Mysterio are motivated by being ****ed over by Stark.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.