Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
9%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1%
Thor (2011)
1%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
4%
The Avengers (2012)
8%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
1%
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
9%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2%
Ant-Man (2015)
1%
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
6%
Doctor Strange (2016)
2%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
4%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
3%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
7%
Black Panther (2018)
2%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
11%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
1%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
9%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
4%

Total votes: 403

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by Stump Feet »

I just wanted Beta Ray Bill and Fat Thor battle it out for the right to be god of thunder :lol:
Last edited by Stump Feet on Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

EXTRA! EXTRA! SPIDER-MAN OUT OF THE MCU!

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feig ... 202672545/
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

NSZ wrote:EXTRA! EXTRA! SPIDER-MAN OUT OF THE MCU!

Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Sony continues to shoot themselves in the foot. Idiots.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Sony continues to shoot themselves in the foot. Idiots.
Nah, Disney fucked this one trying to get more money; they were already getting a nice percentage but insisted on 50-50 for future films after Far From Home did gangbusters, so Sony decided that with the most profitable franchise they’ve had in years they didn’t want to split profits like that
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

G2000 wrote:
Nah, Disney fucked this one trying to get more money; they were already getting a nice percentage but insisted on 50-50 for future films after Far From Home did gangbusters, so Sony decided that with the most profitable franchise they’ve had in years they didn’t want to split profits like that
I don't see how this is the problem when the Disney connection is practically the only reason these films made as much money as they do.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
G2000 wrote:
Nah, Disney skreeonked this one trying to get more money; they were already getting a nice percentage but insisted on 50-50 for future films after Far From Home did gangbusters, so Sony decided that with the most profitable franchise they’ve had in years they didn’t want to split profits like that
I don't see how this is the problem when the Disney connection is practically the only reason these films made as much money as they do.
I feel like we're kind of overemphasizing the importance of the MCU to these films. Like, yeah, sure he gets to go on spy adventures with Nick Fury and fight with Iron Man and what not, but the main reason these films are good IMHO is the story and what not.

Not saying this isn't a bad idea (it is) but it's not like the only reason Amazing Spider-Man 2 failed was no MCU connections.

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Bad part about this: I loved Tom Holland's version of Spidey so knowing he won't be around anymore hurts... :cry:

Good part: I also loved Venom and i know Sony's planning to have him and Spidey fight and i'm all for it! :D

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I didn't say these films weren't good enough on their own, but you cannot deny the drawing power of being connected to the MCU. FFH was heavily marketed as the epilogue to Endgame and the Infinity Saga and Homecoming was widely anticipated as the first MCU Spider-Man film.

I do agree that it was foolish to say it's the "only reason" people see these movies, but I still stand by that it's one of the main draws.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Are you fucking kidding me?

That’s so lame.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Here's a hot take, the Sony flicks were better made, had their own character to them, had a certain tone that just cannot be replicated in the MCU(maybe that of actual independence and tragedy?), Tom Holland Spiderman may work for "Muh comic Acurracie" but his entire vibe is that of some goodie two shoes boy scout suck-up in middle school with a blend of Ferris Bueller's day off. Not a fan at all, it may work to define the little storyline they managed to tell, but it does not work as a unique characterization of Spiderman as an entity, treating the whole Spidey thing as an after school daydream.

It's a positive that Sony pulled the IP from Disney, and they've done nothing to make me think otherwise, Venom and Into The Spiderverse were FANTASTIC films that felt independent from all the generic ice cream of the week MCU flicks. I really hope they get to define Peter Parker as his own person independent of everyone else again, hopefully they get Peter Parker duking it out with Venom, followed by a trip through the Spiderverse with his fellow Spider-friends Andrew and Tobey.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I just heard the news.......OMG! I mean, why? God, why must you test us at every God damn turn. I'm keeping hope alive but know its clinging to dear life like that cat on the tree. Oh Lawd take me instead.......take........me...........instead.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Less Iron-Man Jr and factory made garbage sounds like a win-win.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Whatever happened to making 1 billion keeping it in the MCU?

SoggyNoodles2016

UltramanGoji wrote:I didn't say these films weren't good enough on their own, but you cannot deny the drawing power of being connected to the MCU. FFH was heavily marketed as the epilogue to Endgame and the Infinity Saga and Homecoming was widely anticipated as the first MCU Spider-Man film.

I do agree that it was foolish to say it's the "only reason" people see these movies, but I still stand by that it's one of the main draws.
fair. Agreed on that point, and again, I'm being optimistic, but this probably won't end well

Added in 54 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Whatever happened to making 1 billion keeping it in the MCU?
That DID happen, but Disney tried to set up a new deal that would give them 50% of all profits instead of the 15 or 20% they had for and Sony was understandably like "fuck that" and bounced

Added in 2 minutes 8 seconds:
OOF.

rechecked. Disney was getting 5% of the profits from the Spidey flicks. That's a HELL of an increase. I can totally see why both sides did that tho

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:That DID happen, but Disney tried to set up a new deal that would give them 50% of all profits instead of the 15 or 20% they had for and Sony was understandably like "fuck that" and bounced

OOF.

rechecked. Disney was getting 5% of the profits from the Spidey flicks. That's a HELL of an increase. I can totally see why both sides did that tho
I'm pretty sure that they weren't just asking for 10 times as much money for no extra investment, though. Previously, they were getting 5% of profits, in exchange for which they were paying Sony a flat $35 towards each movie. What they asked for in the new proposal, as I understand it, would be a 50/50 investment along with 50/50 profit sharing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Disney already had the merchandise revenue, getting half of the theatrical revenue is crazy
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

_JNavs_ wrote:Here's a hot take, the Sony flicks were better made, had their own character to them, had a certain tone that just cannot be replicated in the MCU(maybe that of actual independence and tragedy?), Tom Holland Spiderman may work for "Muh comic Acurracie" but his entire vibe is that of some goodie two shoes boy scout suck-up in middle school with a blend of Ferris Bueller's day off. Not a fan at all, it may work to define the little storyline they managed to tell, but it does not work as a unique characterization of Spiderman as an entity, treating the whole Spidey thing as an after school daydream.

It's a positive that Sony pulled the IP from Disney, and they've done nothing to make me think otherwise, Venom and Into The Spiderverse were FANTASTIC films that felt independent from all the generic ice cream of the week MCU flicks. I really hope they get to define Peter Parker as his own person independent of everyone else again, hopefully they get Peter Parker duking it out with Venom, followed by a trip through the Spiderverse with his fellow Spider-friends Andrew and Tobey.
Yup Sony, the company that butchered Spider-Man and Ghost Rider since 2007 and only made as much money off the current iteration of Spidey BECAUSE of the MCU connection is better off rebooting Spider-Man for the 4th (!) time after failing to do so TWICE on their own.

Fucking idiots.

Venom was mediocre BTW.
Last edited by KManX89 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

SoggyNoodles2016

eabaker wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:That DID happen, but Disney tried to set up a new deal that would give them 50% of all profits instead of the 15 or 20% they had for and Sony was understandably like "skreeonk that" and bounced

OOF.

I'm pretty sure that they weren't just asking for 10 times as much money for no extra investment, though. Previously, they were getting 5% of profits, in exchange for which they were paying Sony a flat $35 towards each movie. What they asked for in the new proposal, as I understand it, would be a 50/50 investment along with 50/50 profit sharing.
That is slightly more fair, yes, but from what I'm understanding, Sony was producing these money out of their own pocket, with some Marvel advisement. Spending like 160 million on budget, twice that on marketing and then only getting half of your profit back, as well as not getting most of the merchandise as Watch pointed out, is not even remotely close to fair that way

Added in 1 minute 7 seconds:
KManX89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Here's a hot take, the Sony flicks were better made, had their own character to them, had a certain tone that just cannot be replicated in the MCU(maybe that of actual independence and tragedy?), Tom Holland Spiderman may work for "Muh comic Acurracie" but his entire vibe is that of some goodie two shoes boy scout suck-up in middle school with a blend of Ferris Bueller's day off. Not a fan at all, it may work to define the little storyline they managed to tell, but it does not work as a unique characterization of Spiderman as an entity, treating the whole Spidey thing as an after school daydream.

Yup Sony, the company that butchered Spider-Man and Ghost Rider since 2007 and only made as much money off the current iteration of Spidey BECAUSE of the MCU connection is better off rebooting Spider-Man for the 4th (!) time after failing to do so TWICE on their own.

skreeonking idiots.
Not a reboot. Still doing Tom's Spidey, just not mentioning the MCU/possibly soft rebooting him for the Venomverse.

Still idiots, but not as idiotic as they could be, TBH.

and this is coming from someone who still hasn't forgiven the Amazing series.

RIP Evan.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Disney is being greedy as heck. Sony would be lucky to break even if Disney had 50% of the profits. A 160 million budget and 300 million ad campaign on Far From Home.

Disney already has the merchandising rights and is making more than enough on these movies from that alone.

I always told myself Disney would keep Spiderman, even if they had to PAY to use him. Guess i was wrong. They want to step on smaller companies and force them into a corner.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!