Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
9%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1%
Thor (2011)
1%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
4%
The Avengers (2012)
8%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
1%
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
9%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2%
Ant-Man (2015)
1%
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
6%
Doctor Strange (2016)
2%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
4%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
3%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
7%
Black Panther (2018)
2%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
11%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
1%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
9%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
4%

Total votes: 403

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Falcon and The Winter Soldier trailer

https://youtu.be/hMPnwRmFE8Y
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

oh, my dear Lizard King, that is nothing!

Marvel went nuts and

- revealed trailers for Loki, What If?, and WandaVision

- showed off a sizzle reel for Mrs. Marvel

- announced that Moon Knight will be directed by Egyptian filmmaker Mohamed Diab

- announced that a Fantastic Four film is in the works with Jon Watts (from the previous MCU Spider-Man flicks) at the helm

- Announced Guardians 3 will come out in 2023

-Black Panther 2 will be out July 2022, with doubled down confirmation Chadwick Boseman won't be recast.

- Christian Bale will play Gorr the God Butcher in Thor: Love and Thunder

- Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania, with both iterations of Wasp and Ant-Man returning, Kathryn Newton recast as Cassie Lang, and Johnathan Majors as Kang The Conqueror

And announced the following shows

deep breath

Ironheart (with Dominque Thorne as the titular character)
Secret Invasion (starring Nick Fury and Talos)
Armor Wars (starring War Machine!)
I Am Groot
The Guardians Of The Galaxy Holiday Special
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Evan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Gorr will be interesting to see but wondering how, if at all, they'll explain the All-Black.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SoggyNoodles2016

And finishing off the night, She-Hulk has a confirmed casting of Tatiana Maslany as the titular super attorney and the confirmation Mark Ruffalo's Banner and Tim Roth's Abomination will return for the show

RIP Evan.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just watched the trailers for FatWS and Loki. If there was something that I would've never expected at all, it's Loki being D. B. Cooper

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:10 pm Just give me TASM3 with Garfield and Hardy Venom, I'd say a Spider-Man 4 but from my understanding Tobey doesn't even enjoy acting anymore, so he'll likely be a sacrifice in the Spiderverse event.

Holland will likely exist in a universe without heroes come the conclusion of Spidey 3. Which could bring some darker aspects to his universe.
You think they'll pull him out of the MCU?

Added in 40 seconds:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:46 pm And finishing off the night, She-Hulk has a confirmed casting of Tatiana Maslany as the titular super attorney and the confirmation Mark Ruffalo's Banner and Tim Roth's Abomination will return for the show
Disney's not wasting big bucks at all
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

What the skreoonk Gorr's coming to the MCU!?

Alright, they took one of my favorite Marvel stories and are planning to put it on screen. Getting interested.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:24 am What the skreoonk Gorr's coming to the MCU!?

Alright, they took one of my favorite Marvel stories and are planning to put it on screen. Getting interested.
Yup, and there's a Secret Invasion movie coming up, that's probably what Avengers 5 is. Too bad most of the original cast will be gone, though they'll probably have Falcon, War Machine and Yelena take the place of their original counterparts (Cap, Iron Man and Black Widow, respectively).

Spider-Man 3 had me sold on all 3 Spider-Men appearing alone, but now with Charlie Cox's DareDevil also appearing and possibly being Peter's lawyer ('cuz he's gonna need one)? The only thing that could possibly make me any more excited did happen. Even if it's/they're just cameo(s), that's good enough for me.

I even hear Miles Morales might be making an appearance, though probably just in a cameo role as well. Like I said before, they'll probably just set up the live-action SpiderVerse movie we all know is coming. I could even see Morales being saved for the post-credits scene (possibly with the other Spider-Men as well) if it gets too overstuffed with cameos.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Secret Invasion is a TV show, not a movie.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Not at all excited for the previous Spider-men returning. I know I'm in the minority, but I never cared for Toby's Spider-man and Garfield was just boring. With so many villains being added to the mix, along with Daredevil... This movie is gonna' be more stuffed than Spider-man 3 and Amazing Spider-man 2. And look how those turned out. We already had a Spider-verse movie with the animated film. I'd much have rather just had this be Spider-man and Daredevil teaming up to take on Kingpin and maybe someone else. But oh well.

I just find it ironic everyone was pissy about Holland's Spider-man being caught in the shadow of Tony Stark and now those same people are all excited that he's going to be caught in the shadow of nostalgia. Introducing the Multi-verse in this way opens so many questions...

Was Toby's and Garfield's-verses attacked by a Thanos-level threat?
Why isn't there any more heroes in those universes besides Spider-man?
If Toby and Garfield Spider-men are all also Peter Parker, why do they look and act so different?
Why does each Parker's aunt May get younger and younger and younger?

It just seems so dumb to rope non-MCU films into the mix. DCEU is trying the same thing and I just find it a waste. Introducing the Multi-verse is fine, but actually DO something with it beyond nostalgia. Does this mean Fox's Fantastic Four will eventually return with a bunch of jokes how Human Torch looks like Captain America? I'd rather see universes like Marvel Zombies than a return to non-MCU times.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

SoggyNoodles2016

Nah, I feel the exact same, MM.

My only real interest is that these are all backdoor pilots for further entries in those series for Sony's MCU, and even that is soiled by the sheer cyncial fact that it seems Sony is literally just rebooting old shit then making new unique stuff for their cinematic universe.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The problem with Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2 wasn't that they had too many elements; it was that the screenwriters weren't able to incorporate all of those disparate elements in a way that felt organic and balanced. Marvel's producers have repeatedly proved that they can integrate a lot of different characters and concepts without losing sight of the their plot, themes and arcs. It's an extremely challenging task, but personally I'd rather the storytellers challenge themselves - even if, when it comes down to it, a lot of the reasoning is more about moving product and expanding the brand than it is about pure artistic vision.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

As I'm predicting. These so-called appearances are gonna most likely be cameos and nothing more.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:27 am Secret Invasion is a TV show, not a movie.
My bad, I only saw the Secret Invasion ad on the upcoming Marvel timeline and thought "Avengers 5" without bothering to do the research. :lol:
eabaker wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:30 am The problem with Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2 wasn't that they had too many elements; it was that the screenwriters weren't able to incorporate all of those disparate elements in a way that felt organic and balanced. Marvel's producers have repeatedly proved that they can integrate a lot of different characters and concepts without losing sight of the their plot, themes and arcs. It's an extremely challenging task, but personally I'd rather the storytellers challenge themselves - even if, when it comes down to it, a lot of the reasoning is more about moving product and expanding the brand than it is about pure artistic vision.
And we don't even know what role these characters will have just yet. While it's quite (actually, very) possible that Matt Murdock will be Peter's lawyer in the upcoming film, for all we know, it could just be a DareDevil cameo with him in costume to let fans know he's still around in the MCU (and the Netflix shows are part of the MCU per those screengrabs I posted a page or so back) and tease later appearances which are already rumored for Hawkeye and She-Hulk.

Although the problem isn't simply getting all these characters screentime, it's properly fleshing out each of the individual character arcs, which of course takes time and is quite hard to do when you cram so many characters in one movie. It's easier when they're all pretty much tied to the same basic storyline, as in the case of the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit movies (of course, it also "helps" that they're 3+ hours each), Star Wars, Into the SpiderVerse, The Hunger Games, Batman Returns, Avengers Infinity War/Endgame and Cap: Civil War, but when you have separate arcs like with Sandman and Venom in Spider-Man 3 along with all the Peter-MJ-Harry drama, then it becomes a problem as that movie showed us (the "Editor's Cut" is a little better, but still plagued by all the same problems, including yes, that stupid Peter emo danceoff).
Last edited by KManX89 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I really wish Raimi's Spider-Man 3 had settled on a pair of villains (Harry and someone else) rather than three.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

tbeasley wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:43 pm Image

I really wish Raimi's Spider-Man 3 had settled on a pair of villains (Harry and someone else) rather than three.
Sony forced Venom in because he was popular. I believe the orginal plan was the Black suit would allow Peter to defeat Sandman and New Goblin who he would have struggled with individually in the red suit.

This last part is rumor
The suit makes him kill Harry however and we get Venom set up for the 4th movie.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:24 am What the skreoonk Gorr's coming to the MCU!?

Is that the one with Gorr the Golden Gorilla from Fantasic Four #170-176 (May-November1976)?
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Is that the one with Gorr the Golden Gorilla from Fantasic Four back in the 1970s?
No, i think they're talking about the God Butcher.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:52 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Is that the one with Gorr the Golden Gorilla from Fantasic Four #170-176 (May-November 1976)?
No, i think they're talking about the God Butcher.
Okay, thanks. Btw, what storyline did Gorr the God Butcher come from?
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:02 am, edited 7 times in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:22 pmSony forced Venom in because he was popular. I believe the orginal plan was the Black suit would allow Peter to defeat Sandman and New Goblin who he would have struggled with individually in the red suit.

This bet part is rumor
The suit makes him kill Harry however and we get Venom set up for the 4th movie.
Raimi wanted New Goblin, Sandman and Vulture but Avi Arad made/convinced him to swap out Vulture for Venom. So the film was always going to be a bit overcrowded, but Venom as a character carries way more baggage compared to someone like Vulture. Arad insisted on a character they couldn't exactly do justice to.