Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
17
10%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
2
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1
1%
Thor (2011)
3
2%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
7
4%
The Avengers (2012)
16
9%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
0
No votes
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
16
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
17
10%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
5
3%
Ant-Man (2015)
0
No votes
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
9
5%
Doctor Strange (2016)
5
3%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
9
5%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
6
3%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
10
6%
Black Panther (2018)
3
2%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
22
12%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
2
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
3
2%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
17
10%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
6
3%
 
Total votes: 177

User avatar
Julia Bristow
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:36 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Julia Bristow » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:26 am

Martin Scorese gives his thoughts on Marevl's movi....... I mean "theme parks"


Source: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a2936 ... eme-parks/
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Rhedosaurus » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:11 am

Julia Bristow wrote:Martin Scorese gives his thoughts on Marevl's movi....... I mean "theme parks"


Source: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a2936 ... eme-parks/


Martin Scorese, like Spielberg, Cameron, and Ridley Scott, is just another old director who hasn't made a movie that's up to his standards in years. His upcoming movie, "The Irishman" seems to be his biggest movie since...when...Goodfellas?

User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4700
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby G2000 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:35 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:Martin Scorese, like Spielberg, Cameron, and Ridley Scott, is just another old director who hasn't made a movie that's up to his standards in years. His upcoming movie, "The Irishman" seems to be his biggest movie since...when...Goodfellas?


Casino, The Departed, The Wolf of Wall Street...

Scorsese's right and so is Coppola
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Rhedosaurus » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 am

G2000 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Martin Scorese, like Spielberg, Cameron, and Ridley Scott, is just another old director who hasn't made a movie that's up to his standards in years. His upcoming movie, "The Irishman" seems to be his biggest movie since...when...Goodfellas?


Casino, The Departed, The Wolf of Wall Street...

Scorsese's right and so is Coppola


Too bad that Coppola hasn't made an objectively good movie since Dracula '92. Same with Spielberg when he did this back in late 2015. He only made 2 good movies since Saving Private Ryan: Munich and Lincoln. All the other are forgettable. And let's not forget how as Executive Producer, how he allowed the JP franchise to go down twice-the first time with JP3 and the second time with JW:FK.-and let Michael Bay run Transformers into the ground.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5259
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:29 am

Coppola, Scorsese and Spielberg are all right.

MCU movies are theme park rides with no substance, they're colorful feel-good popcorn flicks that bring in the masses due to quantity, not quality. On the inside they're like fast food burgers, corporate manufactured unhealthy shlop that tastes good so they can't possibly be bad!

What was it Snyder said? Ice Cream flavor of the week films? Spot on.

Coppola and Scorsese made the 80s-90s. Disney is just releasing mass manufactured empty shells.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:18 am

_JNavs_ wrote:Coppola, Scorsese and Spielberg are all right.

MCU movies are theme park rides with no substance, they're colorful feel-good popcorn flicks that bring in the masses due to quantity, not quality. On the inside they're like fast food burgers, corporate manufactured unhealthy shlop that tastes good so they can't possibly be bad!

What was it Snyder said? Ice Cream flavor of the week films? Spot on.

Coppola and Scorsese made the 80s-90s. Disney is just releasing mass manufactured empty shells.



Again, Coppola hasn't made an objectivly good movie since Dracula 92 and Spielberg's got lazy after Saving Private Ryan. He's allowed Michael Bay to ruin Transformers and let JP go down the drain twice, so between that and the fact that he's only made 2 good movies since 1999-Munich and Lincoln-who's he to speak against the MCU?

And WB wouldn't be distancing from Snyder's vision if MOS and BvS divided the fanbase and audience. Even with Whedon's help, JL bombing was the ultimate indictment against his vision.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5259
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:03 am

I wouldn't say Spielberg let JP go down the drain twice, every film has been met with critical and financial success.

But anyway, who cares when these directors directed their Masterpieces? At their primes they're still in their own leagues above any MCU producer/director. Filmmaking is not a sport, it's not "whoever made the most recent big hit gets to have the most valid opinion.". They have every right to criticize run-of-the-mill filmmaking.

Even if we took that idea of "Them at their peak" and ran with it:

James Gunn at his biggest, made GOTG, GOTG was a decent space comedy with non existent substance.

Joss Whedon at his biggest, made The Avengers, our first introduction to flavorful candy fluff that tastes good with very little to think about.

The entire MCU list follows this formula.

Coppola, Spielberg and Scorsese don't need to prove themselves with legendary films, they already have.. Their films are part of the history books now.

And WB wouldn't be distancing from Snyder's vision if MOS and BvS divided the fanbase and audience. Even with Whedon's help, JL bombing was the ultimate indictment against his vision.


Whedons help?? If anything he destroyed the very integrity of Zack Snyders Justice League film. We are all aware of the various plot lines and stories shot by Zack, which were then thrown in the trash by Joss Whedon as he reshot 75% of the film, making it just another generic beam in the sky super team up. Whedon has no business touching the philosophical side of the DC Universe.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:56 am

_JNavs_ wrote:I wouldn't say Spielberg let JP go down the drain twice, every film has been met with critical and financial success.

But anyway, who cares when these directors directed their Masterpieces? At their primes they're still in their own leagues above any MCU producer/director. Filmmaking is not a sport, it's not "whoever made the most recent big hit gets to have the most valid opinion.". They have every right to criticize run-of-the-mill filmmaking.

Even if we took that idea of "Them at their peak" and ran with it:

James Gunn at his biggest, made GOTG, GOTG was a decent space comedy with non existent substance.

Joss Whedon at his biggest, made The Avengers, our first introduction to flavorful candy fluff that tastes good with very little to think about.

The entire MCU list follows this formula.

Coppola, Spielberg and Scorsese don't need to prove themselves with legendary films, they already have.. Their films are part of the history books now.

And WB wouldn't be distancing from Snyder's vision if MOS and BvS divided the fanbase and audience. Even with Whedon's help, JL bombing was the ultimate indictment against his vision.


Whedons help?? If anything he destroyed the very integrity of Zack Snyders Justice League film. We are all aware of the various plot lines and stories shot by Zack, which were then thrown in the trash by Joss Whedon as he reshot 75% of the film, making it just another generic beam in the sky super team up. Whedon has no business touching the philosophical side of the DC Universe.



You're peddling revisionist history when it comes to the JP franchise. It's only recently that people started seeing TLW as a solid movie. JP3 is still considered as THE movie that crippled the franchise for 10+ years. And JW:FK was VERY divisive. And notice how you didn't try to counter my point about him letting Bay run the Transfromers franchise into the ground. As for JL, let's agree with you for arguement's sake. Don't you think that JL would have still bombed as a result of people having the taste of the Snyderverse? There is a reason why the DCEU is moving away from the direction he set.

"Filmmaking is not a sport, it's not "whoever made the most recent big hit gets to have the most valid opinion.". They have every right to criticize run-of-the-mill filmmaking."

^I don't totally disagree, but at the same time, we are living in a 'what have you done for me lately' era. And Spielberg and Coppola haven't done much since the 90's.

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1213
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby KManX89 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:22 am

_JNavs_ wrote:Coppola, Scorsese and Spielberg are all right.

MCU movies are theme park rides with no substance, they're colorful feel-good popcorn flicks that bring in the masses due to quantity, not quality.


Right, which is why only 3 MCU films out of 23 have an IMDb score below a 7 (Captain America: The First Avenger, Incredible Hulk and Thor: The Dark World) and only 5 more (Captain Marvel, Iron Man 2 and 3, Age of Ultron, Ant-Man and the Wasp) have a low 7's score, all 23 films have an A- CinemaScore or better, and every single film except the reviewbombed Captain Marvel has a 70% RT audience score or better with many having RT audience scores in the 80s or 90s.

Other filmmakers WISH they could have this level of continued critical and commercial success. Hell, the first 4 DCEU films are all critically-panned duds and it looks like BoP will join that list.

And Spielberg has no room to talk seeing how it was he who let Michael Bay run Transformers into the ground and has 1, maybe 2 well-received JP films to his credit, of which he only directed one (the first one, duh) and JW1, which he only produced has mixed WOM.

Oh and BTW, Ryan Reynolds confirmed Marvel just started work on Deadpool 3, YAY!
Last edited by KManX89 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby GojiDog » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:55 pm

I fail to understand how Martin Scorsese and Frank Coppola not liking cape movies is even newsworthy.

I mean between the two of them, they made Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, The Last Temptation of Christ, Goodfellas, The Departed...I mean, I kind of just assumed superheroes wouldn't be their cup of tea.

Some nerds treat their hobbies like a family member or a religion that they need to defend. I guess I've always had the attitude of "Eh, I like it, I'll tell you why I like it, but if you don't, that's fine".

User avatar
Dynomy-DX
Samurai
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 2:10 pm
Location: On some random dying sun

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Dynomy-DX » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:22 pm

I feel this whole mess is just something that could have stayed small but became a spiraling ball of screaming weirdos.

On one hand, I really think Marvel fans shouldn’t be that concerned over Scorsese’s opinions. It’s one guy’s opinion. It isn’t gonna kill the entire franchise. It can blow over. Attacking him over that is just disrespectful and kind of overreacting.

On the other hand, theres been so many people I’ve seen coming out of the woodworks now calling the MCU trash and stuff, and how it’s all the same. But like... it isn’t? Maybe I’m just biased, but stuff like Guardians 1 and 2 are beautifully done movies that stand out on their own, Spider-Man has been more fun than the past two trilogies, and Infinity War/Endgame were some of the best theater experiences I’ve had.

No one has to agree, but it kinda sucks that people are putting others down for liking this stuff. Same applies to the opposite party. It’s just an opinion. We shouldn’t be complaining so much over an opinion.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby GojiDog » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Dynomy-DX wrote:I feel this whole mess is just something that could have stayed small but became a spiraling ball of screaming weirdos.

On one hand, I really think Marvel fans shouldn’t be that concerned over Scorsese’s opinions. It’s one guy’s opinion. It isn’t gonna kill the entire franchise. It can blow over. Attacking him over that is just disrespectful and kind of overreacting.

On the other hand, theres been so many people I’ve seen coming out of the woodworks now calling the MCU trash and stuff, and how it’s all the same. But like... it isn’t? Maybe I’m just biased, but stuff like Guardians 1 and 2 are beautifully done movies that stand out on their own, Spider-Man has been more fun than the past two trilogies, and Infinity War/Endgame were some of the best theater experiences I’ve had.

No one has to agree, but it kinda sucks that people are putting others down for liking this stuff. Same applies to the opposite party. It’s just an opinion. We shouldn’t be complaining so much over an opinion.


That's kind of where I am.

This is stuff that could and should be a civil conversation, but everyone just turns into screaming weirdos about it.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11814
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby miguelnuva » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Their're mad they can't direct the films and get their mcu paycheck. Who the hell cares if the marvel films have no substance people still like them and I for one don't need to see an oscar level movie everytime I see a film.

If I cared about the quality of a film I wouldn't love a majority of the Godzilla films I love.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5259
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:33 pm

The last thing Coppola and Scorsese would ever be jealous of, is a franchise with little to no substance.

Best comparison, MCU films are like Big Macs, they're addictively good, until you actually take a look at what you're eating. Artificialness.

I never said I didn't enjoy (a couple of) the MCU films, but I like to have my Prime Rib and Steaks too.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11814
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby miguelnuva » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:The last thing Coppola and Scorsese would ever be jealous of, is a franchise with little to no substance.

Best comparison, MCU films are like Big Macs, they're addictively good, until you actually take a look at what you're eating. Artificialness.

I never said I didn't enjoy (a couple of) the MCU films, but I like to have my Prime Rib and Steaks too.


I guarantee they want a piece of that mcu money. They may not want to direct superhero movies but they're jealous about their films not earning mcu level money and reconigation from the GA.

Also if Scorsese and Coppola make Steaks and Prime ribs, Fiege is putting out gourmet pizza.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4950
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Val Verde
Contact:

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby 2004Zilla » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:09 pm

Coppola has said he's liked both Into the Spiderverse and Black Panther. This whole situation is one big clusterskreeonk.
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:What has this thread become.

Image

User avatar
Destoroyah of Worlds
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 998
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Destoroyah of Worlds » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:39 pm

miguelnuva wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:The last thing Coppola and Scorsese would ever be jealous of, is a franchise with little to no substance.

Best comparison, MCU films are like Big Macs, they're addictively good, until you actually take a look at what you're eating. Artificialness.

I never said I didn't enjoy (a couple of) the MCU films, but I like to have my Prime Rib and Steaks too.


I guarantee they want a piece of that mcu money. They may not want to direct superhero movies but they're jealous about their films not earning mcu level money and reconigation from the GA.

Also if Scorsese and Coppola make Steaks and Prime ribs, Fiege is putting out gourmet pizza.

Calling them jealous is a little silly. These guys pioneered the film industry after the Hays Code was abolished.

I think they have a point. These films are very uninspired. They lack a lot of depth because they cater to children and the Chinese market.

Take a look at films like Into The Spider-Verse, First Class, Days of Future Past, Logan, TDK, Spider-Man 2. I doubt we will ever see an MCU movie as inspired as those.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Smuggers » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:10 am

I'm not even gonna argue about the points being made, I just think it's funny to see some people online (and here) criticize these movies for being artificial, corporate or whatever when you know these guys like some mass-produced corporate schlock... but it's okay because those movies cater to their specific interests. Just comes off as more of a fandom war thing than actually being about artistic merit, with people hitching a ride on the words of storied directors in order to validate their own opinions. Most blockbusters are artificial slop, I wanna know where all these groundbreaking, artistic, soulful blockbusters are because I sure as hell haven't seen any lately. :lol:
Last edited by Smuggers on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2078
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Shrek's swamp

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby tyrantgoji » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:40 am

Kinds sorta off topic,but with Joker doing so well,people getting hyped for Wonder Woman 84 and other future DC films plus saying that phase 4 Marvel isn't that interesting...you guys think the age of Marvel is coming to a close? Could DC finally outdo them after all these years?

User avatar
Dynomy-DX
Samurai
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 2:10 pm
Location: On some random dying sun

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Dynomy-DX » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:59 am

tyrantgoji wrote:Kinds sorta off topic,but with Joker doing so well,people getting hyped for Wonder Woman 84 and other future DC films plus saying that phase 4 Marvel isn't that interesting...you guys think the age of Marvel is coming to a close? Could DC finally outdo them after all these years?


Nah. It’s too early to tell either way. We haven’t seen any footage of any of those movies yet, all we have to go off of is a title. Whereas Joker was something new for the audience, and Wonder Woman 84 is a sequel to what many people consider the best DCEU movie. Give it time. If the upcoming MCU films fall behind expectations, then we can be worried.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.


Return to “Media Center”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest