Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
9%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1%
Thor (2011)
1%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
4%
The Avengers (2012)
8%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
1%
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
9%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
2%
Ant-Man (2015)
1%
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
6%
Doctor Strange (2016)
2%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
4%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
3%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
7%
Black Panther (2018)
2%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
11%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
1%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
9%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
4%

Total votes: 403

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I think everyone is jumping the gun here. There is too much money to be made by both Marvel and Sony when it comes to leaving Spiderman in the MCU. And if that rumor is true, Venom and crew as well. Pretty sure they're still talking. Nobody just walks away when there's over a billion dollars on the table.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Well, it looks like I got a false sense of hope because both Kevin Feige and Tom Holland confirmed Spidey is done in the MCU. :cry:

Oh and you know that 50/50 split Disney reportedly offered Sony? Other sites are reporting it was actually 25%, which is fairly reasonable. If so, then it looks like Sony were, in fact being dicks/stupid and not simply refusing to bend over for Disney's greed. I totally understand them not taking a 50/50 split cut, nobody in their right mind would accept that offer, but turning down a 25% cut for Disney makes them look like the bad guys here. Either Disney is greedy AF or Sony is dumber than we thought depending on who you believe. Either way, it's a no-win situation for everyone, I still don't trust Sony not to fuck up a live-action Spider-Man.

It doesn't necessarily rule out a deal being worked out at a later time (look at what happened with James Gunn), but I don't think they would issue these statements if they were still talking. If a new deal does eventually come, then probably not for a while. This doesn't bode well for Spidey being in MvC4, just like the X-Men were left out of MvCI over a cinematic rights dispute (that thankfully got settled).
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

KManX89 wrote:This doesn't bode well for Spidey being in MvC4, just like the X-Men were left out of MvCI over a cinematic rights dispute (that thankfully got settled).
You’ve got a good point. Just imagine the backlash they’d receive based on how well MvCI turned out over not including any X-men.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I'm sure that Feige and Holland are just saying what they're saying to calm the masses and keep the fan base off their backs until Sony and Disney reach some sort of conclusion, whatever that may end up being. There's no way discussions between either party are over yet with this much money on the table. With how this has all been going on, we'll probably have another update soon this upcoming week.

#BotM

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I see Sony in a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario right now because one they're stock dropped quite a bit after the news broke that Spider-Man was no longer in the MCU. Another thing is a lot of fans have stated that they refuse to see another Spider-Man reboot this early which is exactly what Sony is going to have to do regardless if Tom Holland is coming back to play the character because Sony won't be able to reference past MCU events.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that Spider-Man is Sony Pictures only profitable franchise right now, Resident Evil was pretty profitable for them in the beginning but with each sequel started loosing money. So if their Spider-Man movies continue the downward trend that Sony only helmed movies have had (with the exception of Into the Spiderverse) then Sony may have to sell it film division. Do I see this happening? Probably not in the near future but its highly possible down the line. If it does get to that point then the Spider-Man license would revert back to Disney/Marvel.

My guess is Sony and Disney are still going to do some negotiating. Personally I think Disney should just buy the license back from Sony and as a sign of good faith give them a royalty deal where they can get something like 10-15% of merch and ticket sales for a set amount of time.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

KManX89 wrote:Well, it looks like I got a false sense of hope because both Kevin Feige and Tom Holland confirmed Spidey is done in the MCU. :cry:

Oh and you know that 50/50 split Disney reportedly offered Sony? Other sites are reporting it was actually 25%, which is fairly reasonable. If so, then it looks like Sony were, in fact being dicks/stupid and not simply refusing to bend over for Disney's greed. I totally understand them not taking a 50/50 split cut, nobody in their right mind would accept that offer, but turning down a 25% cut for Disney makes them look like the bad guys here. Either Disney is greedy AF or Sony is dumber than we thought depending on who you believe. Either way, it's a no-win situation for everyone, I still don't trust Sony not to skreeonk up a live-action Spider-Man.

It doesn't necessarily rule out a deal being worked out at a later time (look at what happened with James Gunn), but I don't think they would issue these statements if they were still talking. If a new deal does eventually come, then probably not for a while. This doesn't bode well for Spidey being in MvC4, just like the X-Men were left out of MvCI over a cinematic rights dispute (that thankfully got settled).
How do we know Disney's not saying that because of the backlash they got for it? They've already cooked the books so them doing that is certainly in there mindset.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

LegendZilla wrote:
KManX89 wrote:This doesn't bode well for Spidey being in MvC4, just like the X-Men were left out of MvCI over a cinematic rights dispute (that thankfully got settled).
You’ve got a good point. Just imagine the backlash they’d receive based on how well MvCI turned out over not including any X-men.
I wouldn't put it past them. If they were willing to give arguably the most important Marvel characters in the MvC series the shaft over a petty rights dispute, then who's to say they won't do the same for arguably the most important character in the Marvel universe over a petty rights dispute?

Even if he does appear, there's every chance it won't feature other Spidey characters so as to not give Sony TOO much representation, which is a shame because I'd be looking forward to Goblin or Doc Ock finally making their MvC debut.

Also, I was hoping Moon Knight would be getting the Hulu treatment like Ghost Rider is, though I am looking forward to Ms. Marvel and She Hulk on Disney+.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The MCU is outta my ballpark at this point. They told the story they needed to tell, Spiderman did what he needed to do and dipped, and now what's left is about 6 new shows, 3 on Hulu, 3 on D-Plus. Since Disney can't just own ONE streaming service lol.

The MCU films seem to be on the backburner with a few B-List exceptions, and by the time the next "big event" happens i'll probably be 30. So yeah i'm kinda done, with the exception of a curiousness for their F4 and X-Men, there's really nothing holding my interest.

Times like these do however, make me grow an even bigger appreciation for WB. They were my "Disney" growing up.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Disney doesn't fully own Hulu though, Hulu was a creation by all the major network TV channels (NBC owned by Universal, Fox owned by Fox and ABC owned by Disney) so when Fox sold itself to Disney they became majority owner of Hulu.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

tyrantgoji wrote:
KManX89 wrote:Well, it looks like I got a false sense of hope because both Kevin Feige and Tom Holland confirmed Spidey is done in the MCU. :cry:

Oh and you know that 50/50 split Disney reportedly offered Sony? Other sites are reporting it was actually 25%, which is fairly reasonable. If so, then it looks like Sony were, in fact being dicks/stupid and not simply refusing to bend over for Disney's greed. I totally understand them not taking a 50/50 split cut, nobody in their right mind would accept that offer, but turning down a 25% cut for Disney makes them look like the bad guys here. Either Disney is greedy AF or Sony is dumber than we thought depending on who you believe. Either way, it's a no-win situation for everyone, I still don't trust Sony not to skreeonk up a live-action Spider-Man.

How do we know Disney's not saying that because of the backlash they got for it? They've already cooked the books so them doing that is certainly in there mindset.
The initial deal was 25%. Sony never gave them an answer back so they upped it to 50% and basically said take it or leave it. That's where the confusion is coming from.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:

The initial deal was 25%. Sony never gave them an answer back so they upped it to 50% and basically said take it or leave it. That's where the confusion is coming from.
That's still a rather doosh move by the mouse though. Is having patients just not a thing to them?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
That's still a rather doosh move by the mouse though. Is having patients just not a thing to them?
Definitely not, they like to push and buy content as quick as possible.

While it makes for a financial plus, it's still a douchebag typical conglomerate thing to do, especially from something as "special" as the MouseHouse.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I still find it utterly bizzare that the one time The Mousempire is being the evil monopoly that is strangling creativity and screwing over other companies is the one time everyone is on their side.

This isn't aimed at anyone here, BTW, just something I've been struggling to understand all weekend since the news broke.

RIP Evan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think its just as much people hating and not trusting Sony.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah Sony was given the shiit end of the stick, it's like dating the most popular girl in school, just to break up over an argument.

Everyone will look at you like you killed their cat, while all you did was save your dignity.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote:while all you did was save your dignity.
I know people wanna root for the underdog and all, but... it's still Sony. They aren't exactly known for their dignity and integrity.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:while all you did was save your dignity.
I know people wanna root for the underdog and all, but... it's still Sony. They aren't exactly known for their dignity and integrity.
That's true, though integrity may have been the better word, to be honest. Since I haven't heard too many big dilemmas involved with their company.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

gvamp wrote:Disney doesn't fully own Hulu though, Hulu was a creation by all the major network TV channels (NBC owned by Universal, Fox owned by Fox and ABC owned by Disney) so when Fox sold itself to Disney they became majority owner of Hulu.
But Disney is making shows for Hulu. One of the two Alien TV series' in development (which Disney now owns as part of the Fox acquisition) is being made for Hulu. They're also making several Marvel TV series' for Hulu, including Ghost Rider and several adult animated shows. Disney is also releasing Disney+ with Hulu in a special bundle.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I still stand by what I said. Sony is stupid and Disney is greedy.

Also Disney can not bully Spiderman the way they did X-men and fantastic 4. A good comparison would be Ghidorah or Mothra's rights vs Godzilla's rights. Toho may block Ghidorah and Mothra mech but they would never block Godzilla unless they were making 0% on sales. Same with Disney and Spiderman.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

miguelnuva wrote:Also Disney can not bully Spiderman the way they did X-men and fantastic 4. A good comparison would be Ghidorah or Mothra's rights vs Godzilla's rights. Toho may block Ghidorah and Mothra mech but they would never block Godzilla unless they were making 0% on sales. Same with Disney and Spiderman.
Are you talking about for MvC? Because the X-Men are the most important Marvel characters of the franchise (they're the ones that started the series FFS) and Wolverine and Deadpool are 2 of the 3 most popular/iconic characters in the entire Marvel universe, and they still got the shaft from Infinite over a petty rights dispute. I wouldn't put it past them to do the same for Spider-Man for MvC4 if/when it happens despite him being one of, if not THE most famous Marvel character over this. Disney is anal about promoting rival companies' properties. Niitsuma literally had to fight tooth and nail to get the X-Men and Doom in MvC3.