General Transformers Discussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
UltramanGoji

Re: General Transformers Discussion

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: I wanna buy some of the 10th anniversary figures done by Takara, but Jesus they are super expensive, and they're just mere repaints!
Takara figures are like that. $35 for $12 toy engineering. Sure sometimes you get (arguably) better paint apps and extra retooling, but they're not really worth the extra dough.

What figures were you looking for in particular? If you need a Megatron, there's a high probablity he'll get a Movie Masterpiece figure like Optimus, Bumblebee, and (rumored) Barricade. If that doesn't happen, the TLK Voyager is pretty good.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I was looking at Starscream and Shockwave in general. Prices are out of control on eBay and Amazon, and they're all sold out at BBTS.

Besides them, the Voyager ROTF Megatron is another on my watchlist. Love the new paint job.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:I was looking at Starscream and Shockwave in general. Prices are out of control on eBay and Amazon, and they're all sold out at BBTS.
Remember seeing somewhere that a few figures are scheduled for a reissue later in the year, but don't take my word for it.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

They've been here forever.

https://youtu.be/LVZhsL3vV8M

This does raise more questions than it answers, though.

Added in 20 hours 7 minutes :
Final trailer:

Goddamn, Megatron is fucking sexy, and that bloody ending :shock:.

#BotM

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/06/03/tran ... ore-340422

Viral marketing campaign has started on multiple sites. New profiles for Dreadbot, Berserker, Mohawk, Megatron, Barricade, Onslaught and Nitro revealed. I find Nitro's to be the most interesting. It definitely could explain why he looks the way he does. Also there's quite a few tidbits in here that seem to confirm the "Decepticons are secretly running TRF" theory.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

As I stated back on TFW: If the Decepticons are actually talking with one another, arguing, and all have clear cut and unique personalities... I might just blow a gasket. We haven't had the Cons actually interact with one another since DotM, and even that wasn't all too impressive.

#BotM

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Godzilla165 wrote:As I stated back on TFW: If the Decepticons are actually talking with one another, arguing, and all have clear cut and unique personalities... I might just blow a gasket. We haven't had the Cons actually interact with one another since DotM, and even that wasn't all too impressive.
The most interaction they've had is in TF1 when they all respond to Starscream's order to mobilize, and Blackout attempting to help Megatron.
ImageImage

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I love that even with all of the marketing and TV spots that we've gotten, we still don't know much about the overall story aside from the basics. Plus, they're REALLY deep delving into the lore this time, and everything in TLK looks to have TF involvement of some kind. Gone are the days where Transformers simply stood in the background until it was time for an action scene.

EDIT: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... LcsAL4QWSM

Decepticons? Together? Not cannon fodder? All live till the end of the movie?!

*Faints*

#BotM

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Say what you will about AoE but I really love the personalities of the Autobot cast. In the previous films most everyone came across as the same. In AoE everybody has a very distinctive personality. Glad to see its carrying over for the next few films.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Say what you will about AoE but I really love the personalities of the Autobot cast. In the previous films most everyone came across as the same. In AoE everybody has a very distinctive personality. Glad to see its carrying over for the next few films.

Age Of Extinction is a dogshit film but i definitely agree with you. The autobots had noticable improvements in the personality department. I like the new Autobots, even drift, even though he's another signature racist Michael Bay character. Regardless, all the Autobots were pretty memorable and easier to spot in shot to shot.

Fingers crossed bay doesnt kill off half the autobot cast next film in some gruesome way.
Member of TK Since 2006

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Can't wait for The Last Knight!! I may start collecting Transformers figures again- something I haven't done since 2011.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Yeah I really like the look of that Leader Class Megatron. May get Dragonstorm too.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

So apparently spoilers have made their way into the web from an early screening and.....god some of them are disappointing.
Spoiler:
All of the Decepticons except for Megatron die and not a single Autobot dies. Onslaught's death was spoiled in a TV spot. Drift decapitates him. Nitro seems to last the longest before dying later in the final battle.
Barricade's fate is unclear but its assumed he dies as well.
ImageImage

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Breakdown wrote:So apparently spoilers have made their way into the web from an early screening and.....god some of them are disappointing.
Spoiler:
All of the Decepticons except for Megatron die and not a single Autobot dies. Onslaught's death was spoiled in a TV spot. Drift decapitates him. Nitro seems to last the longest before dying later in the final battle.
Dangit why did I click on the tag?! Well, im disappointed, kinda.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

So it's basically every other TF film in that regard.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

If it makes you guys feel better, there appears to be confirmation that
Spoiler:
Barricade pulls another disappearing act and survives
I've witheld the jucier spoilers. If you want to see them for yourself, there's a thread on TFW2005 for TLK spoilers.
ImageImage

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Breakdown wrote:So apparently spoilers have made their way into the web from an early screening and.....god some of them are disappointing.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Supposedly, there is one Autobot death, but it's one of the newbies introduced in the movie.
On a less spoilery side of things, if you're going to watch the movie, stick around till after the credits! Word has it there's something.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Raging Nation didn't like it, and gave TLK a 4 out of 10. It must be disappointing to have followed a film for 3 years, and then be disappointed by the end result. However, that doesn't necessarily change my personal perspective on TLK, as I have yet to see it and form my own opinions on the film. Hell, I'm most likely going to see it more than twice due to it apparently having A LOT of story arcs and points.

We'll see how the Bumblebee movie pans out, due to it being directed by someone entirely different, TF6 as well if Bay actually leaves this time.

EDIT: Credit goes to SkyfiRe71 on TFW for this fair review.

SPOILERS:
Spoiler:
Tbh, I liked this one.

It is well above DOTM, AOE and ROTF overall and has, IMO, high rewatch value like the first one.

PROS:

- Lore. I repeat, LORE. The plot of the movie is a bit messy, however, for the first time in a long time, it felt like they went through a lot of effort to construct the TF universe from a fundamental standpoint.

- The Autobots and Quintessa finally felt more important than the humans.

- Many small, nice touches.

- Unicron and Nemesis Prime are name dropped.

- Hound and Cogman being the comic relief.

- The Pangaea and Stonehenge tying into the positions of Unicron's horns.

- Optimus' eyes changing shortly after he receives the red mark compared to Megatron's remaining red throughout. Implies the difference between choice vs. possession. In other words, Optimus is responsible for letting "the demon" in, but make no mistake, something else was in control of his body for a time.

- Speaking of letting the demon in, Quintessa preying on Optimus' weakness and regret for his home world's state was well done.

- Bumblebee wasn't nearly as annoying as previous movies. I actually respected him by the end.

- Hot Rod was charming. His accent is explained, which is the first time Bayformers has go that route to characterize a bot.

- Excalibur and Merlin's Staff are important.

- Gravitas. This film actually felt like if they did not succeed, then Earth was really boned. Did not get that feeling from any of the other movies except the first.

- Humor was actually funny, especially that of the robots and Cade/Vivian.

- Foreshadowing. There is a LOT.

CONS:

- Lore vs. plot. Not all of the lore got enough time in the sun as I'd have liked. Specifically, the difference between the Staff and Excalibur and the origins of Megatron/Optimus. Why was one given to Merlin and the other presumably to Arthur? Why did the Excalibur talisman leave Earth?

- No other cons necessary. Literally, The Decepticons did not serve a purpose in this film. Specifically, Megatron did not have a very big role. Again. This is the one thing that really pissed me off. I'm willing to overlook it because a.) Quintessa and Nemesis Prime were plenty good enough antagonists. b.) I believe several things are being foreshadowed with respect to Megatron and his relationship with Optimus.

- The relationship between Cade and Vivian felt forced and superficial i.e. unnecessary. God forbid a male and female lead remain platonic friends in a Transformers movie. HEAVEN FORFEND. If their relationship developed over multiple movies, fine, but don't have them kissing after being at each other's throats the whole movie.

- Annoying scientist was annoying and unnecessary. Thank God his role was small.

- Hopkins died and I liked him. He did a fantastic job as his character.

- Megatron needs to have a bigger role for people to take him seriously. In fairness, this time Megs felt like a force and intelligent leader at least, commanding troop legions and requiring literally all the Autobots to take him down. He definitely should have taken out Crosshairs and Drift before going down IMO. I could rant about this more, but will digress for now. I want more Megatron.

#BotM

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Just got back from seeing it.
Spoiler:
It's definitely above the past films, but still doesn't live up to the first one. There's a TON of lore in the film and Nemesis Prime, Unicron and Infernocons are all namedropped. Quintessa was a well done antagonist, lying and manipulating Optimus into doing her will. Her voice was chilling too, it has this vibrating boom to it whenever she spoke. Speaking of villains, the Decepticons didn't really do a whole lot. Despite their Suicide Squad-esq intro 3* of them die within 10 minutes. Barricade, Nitro and Megatron are the only survivors. Barricade does indeed pull another disappearing act and does not participate in the final battle (Probably because he didn't have any way to get to where the fighting was, honestly). Nitro was pretty cool as a character, and he lasted the longest out of all the new Decepticons. He definitely felt like he was supposed to be the new Starscream. SPEAKING of Starscream, Megatron actually finds Starscream's head and mockingly talks to it. Frank Welker did a FANTASTIC job as Megatron, and Megatron himself is pretty badass in the movie as well even if he doesn't do a whole lot. I can confirm that he does survive; after cutting his arm off, Optimus spartan-kicks him out of the ignition chamber. Hot Rod was charming as a character, and his lines seemed to get the most reaction from the crowd along with Mohawk. It's a damn shame Mohawk died so early, along with Onslaught. In general, the robots got magnitudes more characterization in TLK than in any of the past movies.

The story felt like it had weight to it, as never in the films has there been as dire of a threat as an alien planet threatening to suck the life out of Ear-ahem, Unicron. That's right, Unicron IS the Earth, They pulled one straight out of Transformers Prime. Even with Quintessa defeated (not really) the looming threat of Unicron still remains and the film/post-credits scene make that abundantly clear that this isn't over. All in all, I'd give the movie a 7/10. It doesn't even touch the first film, but it's much better than ROTF, DOTM and AOE. That may or may not be a high bar with this franchise, but that's my personal thoughts.

*We don't actually see Dreadbot "die" per-say. Grimlock scoops him up in his mouth and he's never seen again after that. You might say that's clear evidence that he got offline'd, but you know what they say about the lack of a body...
ImageImage

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Alright, mates, I just got back from my first viewing, and here are some initial thoughts. This is a film where I really feel as though you need to see it more than once, in order to get everything. There is A LOT of content and lore that is finally explored here, and an abundance of plotlines and story arcs. I'll go into more detail once I see TLK a few more times, but I'll still give a basic rundown.
Spoiler:
Overall - Thumbs up.

Tighter story than AoE. Movie has a good pace. Starts, shit jumps off, and keeps going. No lulls.

Lore WAS addressed in more depth than previous films. I wouldn't say it's Shakespeare, but it touches on and mentions a good amount of Transformers references from the cartoons and books.

The movie overall didn't have a ton of surprises; most of it we kinda pieced together by now. It was good seeing it all play out linearly though.

They did leave it open at the end, several points. We are jumping right into 6 with no soft reboot.

I like what they did with Lennox. It isn't as cut / dry as the trailers seem.

Simmons - Glad they found a way to keep him involved.

Megatron was handled very well. Welker's voice makes a ton of difference, and has life to it. He's calculating, intelligent, and has a newfound gravitas. Don't even get me started on the nigh perfect design of his.

The purple eyes on Prime, and the name he was given while in that mode, awesome.

Points I didn't care for:

Baby Dinobots - wtf, where, why, how.

If Quintessa created the Transformers, what's up with the Allspark.

The Cybertron attacking Earth bit. They had an explanation, then created another explanation for it to hang around, so that they could have time to stop the chaos. Unnecessary, didn't quite get it. They could have had it just be coming here to do the first thing, and then stop that from happening, basically the same way. All they had to do was remove and tweak a scene or two and it makes more sense.

Decepticons - It looked like we were getting some characterization and then nope. Actually, they were still better than past 3, but too short. Ultimately still cannon fodder in the end.

Bumblebee - Do not understand how Bee spoke. Unless he was playing a recording of himself from earlier.

Merlin - Merlin was Tucci. I have to eat my pants on that one. They did not connect it to Tucci's modern day character. Maybe down the road. That being said, if he does turn out to be actual Merlin from ancient times, living all this time, then Vivian's character could have been omitted since she was important because she was a descendant of Merlin.

And yes, taking a page right out of TF: Prime, Unicron is in fact Earth. They even have a picture of him and everything. The ending with Prime calling all Autobots back to Cybertron was REALLY cool and emotional for me. Finally, they get to return to their home, even it is wrecked to shit and floating in Earth's atmosphere.

Overall, it was a better ride than AOE. My personal ranking is the first movie, then DOTM. This is tied with DOTM in my opinion. I liked the visuals and action in DOTM better, but this is very close and had a deeper story. This basically feels like a big setup film for TF6 to springboard right off of.

#BotM