General Transformers Discussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: General Transformers Discussion

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote: You're right. Maybe it was a bit awkward, but Ken Jeong is always funny. Especially when he's doing stupid or weird stuff like this. Meanwhile, Mr. sarcasm over here probably hates Spider-Man 3's dancing scene, too. Because I guess he can't appreciate good ironic humor in films.
Exactly, even if the humor was awkward it's all intended to be that way by Ken, it didn't feel forced, especially when Ken walks out and sizes up that guy as he leaves. Funny stuff.
This is the same reason I laughed at LEFT CHEEK, ENEMY SCROTUM, and Bumblebee pissing on Simmons. It's not meant to be taken seriously. It's not clever humor, it's just ridiculous ironic humor.

And then there's even genuine, intentional humor in the films. One of my favorite exchanges of dialogue in any film I've ever seen was in Transformers 2007.

Ironhide: The parents are very irritating. Can I take them out?
Ratchet: Yeah, yeah!
Optimus: Ironhide, you know we don't harm humans! What is with you?
Ironhide: Well, I'm just saying we could. It's an option...

Oh and Cogman being the absolute best part of TLK.
Yes someone understands, Simmons was my favorite character in the franchise, him and Sam played off each other so well. His humor reminded me of my family, especially the way he talks when he's working in the meat business with his ma :lol: .

That moment with Ironhide was funny because right after that Optimus is like "What is with you?"
I really disliked 4 and 5 but Cogman was decent, side character wise I always liked Wheelie and Brains
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Hopefully we'll get an awesome Frank Welker Megatron film, I feel like doing a Decepticon stand alone film next would be a interesting but good choice. The only other autobot that would be a safe choice for a spinoff would be Optimus Prime, it would be neat to see his Orion Pax origin on the big screen.
I think by having one standalone autobot film and one decepticon one, then they could go ahead and give us a good Transformers film. Bumblebee was great, buy they need to continue and show audiences that there can be good TF films before going all out with a film involving a large cast.
The problem with that is I don't think audiences will see a movie just about Megatron or Ironhide or Jazz because audiences don't know them. I think if the reboot series is successful and gives these characters some personality and audiences get attached to them, then they can make spinoff movies.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Hopefully we'll get an awesome Frank Welker Megatron film, I feel like doing a Decepticon stand alone film next would be a interesting but good choice. The only other autobot that would be a safe choice for a spinoff would be Optimus Prime, it would be neat to see his Orion Pax origin on the big screen.
I think by having one standalone autobot film and one decepticon one, then they could go ahead and give us a good Transformers film. Bumblebee was great, but they need to continue and show audiences that there can be good TF films before going all out with a film involving a large cast.
I hate that they're playing it safe, there doesn't seem to be any actual threat now. Back during the original films there was no guarantee your favorite robot would make it out of the war. But now if we keep getting these solo character prequels these same characters won't have the potential to die in their films so there's almost 0 risk.

it's not Marvel, these guys aren't superheroes, they're soldiers. That'd be like doing a solo prequel film for every soldier from D Day and then making a full length film after it's all done.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

KillCrites wrote:
I think by having one standalone autobot film and one decepticon one, then they could go ahead and give us a good Transformers film. Bumblebee was great, buy they need to continue and show audiences that there can be good TF films before going all out with a film involving a large cast.
The problem with that is I don't think audiences will see a movie just about Megatron or Ironhide or Jazz because audiences don't know them. I think if the reboot series is successful and gives these characters some personality and audiences get attached to them, then they can make spinoff movies.
That's fair. As long as they don't count their insecticons before they hatch and hire talented filmmakers, I'll be happy.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

_JNavs_ wrote:
I think by having one standalone autobot film and one decepticon one, then they could go ahead and give us a good Transformers film. Bumblebee was great, but they need to continue and show audiences that there can be good TF films before going all out with a film involving a large cast.
I hate that they're playing it safe, there doesn't seem to be any actual threat now. Back during the original films there was no guarantee your favorite robot would make it out of the war. But now if we keep getting these solo character prequels these same characters won't have the potential to die in their films so there's almost 0 risk..
They literally
Spoiler:
had Cliffjumper get sliced in half on screen.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KillCrites wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
I hate that they're playing it safe, there doesn't seem to be any actual threat now. Back during the original films there was no guarantee your favorite robot would make it out of the war. But now if we keep getting these solo character prequels these same characters won't have the potential to die in their films so there's almost 0 risk..
They literally
Spoiler:
had Cliffjumper get sliced in half on screen.
But we've seen that same thing happen the first episode of Transformers Prime. I don't think CJs survived a single thing he's been in since then.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

_JNavs_ wrote:
I hate that they're playing it safe, there doesn't seem to be any actual threat now. Back during the original films there was no guarantee your favorite robot would make it out of the war. But now if we keep getting these solo character prequels these same characters won't have the potential to die in their films so there's almost 0 risk.

it's not Marvel, these guys aren't superheroes, they're soldiers. That'd be like doing a solo prequel film for every soldier from D Day and then making a full length film after it's all done.
Thing is, Michael Bay dug them into a hole with his decade of TF films, so right now this is what must be done. In the Bay films, I didn't care about any Transformers because I didn't get to know them. Whenever they died, like Jazz for instance, I was pissed off more than anything.

A good way of making the viewer feel for the death of autobots would be how a lot of classics were killed off in the first 10 minutes of the 1986 film. I will admit it probably wasn't the best, but we actually spent time with the characters and knew who they were. They weren't deep, layered characters, but knowing them can go a long way. Like Starscream's death in this film blew the one in DOTM out of the water.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

Thing is, Michael Bay dug them into a hole with his decade of TF films, so right now this is what must be done. In the Bay films, I didn't care about any Transformers because I didn't get to know them. Whenever they died, like Jazz for instance, I was pissed off more than anything.

A good way of making the viewer feel for the death of autobots would be how a lot of classics were killed off in the first 10 minutes of the 1986 film. I will admit it probably wasn't the best, but we actually spent time with the characters and knew who they were. They weren't deep, layered characters, but knowing them can go a long way. Like Starscream's death in this film blew the one in DOTM out of the water.
I don't think he died in Bumblebee? But yeah I get what you mean. Although Ironhide and Ratchet did hit me, we got to know them pretty well. I wouldn't really welcome the deaths of all those returning Autobots who just came back from death though :lol: . I hope we get to see Jazz, Ratchet, Ironhide, Brawn, Wheeljack, Arcee, Bee and Hot Rod.

What are the chances Ironhide keeps his Bay look? :cry: , that's my favorite look for him
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

_JNavs_ wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: I hate that they're playing it safe, there doesn't seem to be any actual threat now. Back during the original films there was no guarantee your favorite robot would make it out of the war. But now if we keep getting these solo character prequels these same characters won't have the potential to die in their films so there's almost 0 risk.

I don't think he died in Bumblebee? But yeah I get what you mean. Although Ironhide and Ratchet did hit me, we got to know them pretty well. I wouldn't really welcome the deaths of all those returning Autobots who just came back from death though :lol: . I hope we get to see Jazz, Ratchet, Ironhide, Brawn, Wheeljack, Arcee, Bee and Hot Rod.

What are the chances Ironhide keeps his Bay look? :cry: , that's my favorite look for him
Well, with Starscream I was referring to the 1986 film.

Eh, as long as they keep their classic color schemes I would be fine.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Thing is, Michael Bay dug them into a hole with his decade of TF films, so right now this is what must be done. In the Bay films, I didn't care about any Transformers because I didn't get to know them. Whenever they died, like Jazz for instance, I was pissed off more than anything.

Well, with Starscream I was referring to the 1986 film.

Oh true, plus they worked Galvatron into the 86 film better than Age of Extinction ever could. That's one of the many reasons why I disliked 4 and 5, there was no planning involved. You've already introduced Galvatron, took him away and made him Megatron again, and now you're introducing Unicron at the end of 5? Is Megs just going to get Re-Galvatronized?

I hope they keep their same voice actors, but I know most of them are probably much older now.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

_JNavs_ wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Well, with Starscream I was referring to the 1986 film.

Oh true, plus they worked Galvatron into the 86 film better than Age of Extinction ever could. That's one of the many reasons why I disliked 4 and 5, there was no planning involved. You've already introduced Galvatron, took him away and made him Megatron again, and now you're introducing Unicron at the end of 5? Is Megs just going to get Re-Galvatronized?

I hope they keep their same voice actors, but I know most of them are probably much older now.
I wouldn't be surprised if they went with getting some decently known celebrities instead of seasoned voice actors to voice them, besides Cullen and Welker of course. A few remaining G1 voice actors returned for the Devastation game, a cameo from them would be nice.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Well, with Starscream I was referring to the 1986 film.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went with getting some decently known celebrities instead of seasoned voice actors to voice them, besides Cullen and Welker of course. A few remaining G1 voice actors returned for the Devastation game, a cameo from them would be nice.
Steve Blum returned as Wheeljack in his 2 second cameo at the beginning of Bumblebee. But yeah, I wanna see as many classic voice actors return that they can get.
Last edited by KillCrites on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

I think they'd likely include Arcee in the line up, so I could see maybe an A-lister voicing her, Scarjo?
I'd totally want John Goodman voicing Brawn but I know they likely wouldn't since he voiced Hound already, so maybe Dwayne Johnson? :lol:
I've really wanted to see Prowl but I doubt we'd get him anytime soon
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KillCrites wrote: Steve Blum returned as Wheeljack in his 2 second cameo at the beginning of Bumblebee. But yeah, I wanna see as many classic voice actors return that they can get.
Blum wasn't Wheeljack in Devastation, that was Christopher Swindle.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

UltramanGoji wrote:
KillCrites wrote: Steve Blum returned as Wheeljack in his 2 second cameo at the beginning of Bumblebee. But yeah, I wanna see as many classic voice actors return that they can get.
I'm talkin about Bumblebee not Devastation.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KillCrites wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
I'm talkin about Bumblebee not Devastation.
You said Blum returned, I thought you were implying he'd been Wheeljack before. Misread that

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I liked Hugo Weaving as Megatron, though nobody can beat Frank Welker as the role. If they ever include Ultra Magnus, I really hope they have Michael Ironside reprise his role from Transformers Prime. To me he's the ideal voice for Magnus and it commands such authority when he speaks. That or Peter Jessup who voiced Paladin Danse in Fallout 4.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

KillCrites wrote: The problem with that is I don't think audiences will see a movie just about Megatron or Ironhide or Jazz because audiences don't know them. I think if the reboot series is successful and gives these characters some personality and audiences get attached to them, then they can make spinoff movies.

This is kinda shifting gears from what everyone is primarily talking about right now. But, do audiences really not recognize Megatron? I mean, Ironhide and Jazz, sure. But I've always thought Megatron was every bit as recognizable as Optimus Prime. That could easily be my fan bias, though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
KillCrites wrote: The problem with that is I don't think audiences will see a movie just about Megatron or Ironhide or Jazz because audiences don't know them. I think if the reboot series is successful and gives these characters some personality and audiences get attached to them, then they can make spinoff movies.

This is kinda shifting gears from what everyone is primarily talking about right now. But, do audiences really not recognize Megatron? I mean, Ironhide and Jazz, sure. But I've always thought Megatron was every bit as recognizable as Optimus Prime. That could easily be my fan bias, though.
They do, but not enough to hold his own film. He's no Joker or Darth Vader. As cynical and iconic as he may be. It could do well, but I doubt Hasbro would do anything other than soften it and if they don't then it's just 2 hours of genocide. Which I'd be totally cool with, but soccer moms may not think so.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

They could easily make it an origin story. In most recent Transformers media, Megatron is often portrayed as a gladiator/miner who became a hero of the lower caste, going on to overthrow an opressive Cybertron government only to become a tyrant himself, for one reason or another.

The Transformers: War for Cybertron novel and the IDW comics do a pretty decent job of outlining his rise to power as well as his friendship and eventual rivalry with Optimus Prime.
Last edited by Breakdown on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns