New Sonic movie in the works? Make it so.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: New Sonic movie in the works? Make it so.

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

tyrantgoji wrote:I smell a sequel.
Yep if estimates as said in the link are anything to go by this might be making at least over $500 million.

Added in 16 hours 42 minutes 43 seconds:
https://deadline.com/2020/02/sonic-the- ... 202860119/

Seems the movie is gonna do better this weekend then expected with $64 million.

So far has also made $21 million.

https://twitter.com/MovieNumbers/status ... 9681977345
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Is that cute pink hedgehog in it. I can't remember her name but I think she's Sonics girlfriend.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Is that cute pink hedgehog in it. I can't remember her name but I think she's Sonics girlfriend.
Spoiler:
Amy? No. There is another Sonic character, but i'm not saying who. ;)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

This movie is pretty average and reasonably good, i like it, there's lots of references.
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

As promised.

What I liked

-Jim Carrey is the goat. He does a different take on Robotnik and yet it fit. A nice combination of the jokester Robotnik and the serious one. Fans of all incarnations should be able to find a little bit of what they like.

-Ben is arguably the best Sonic ever. His voice and personality is what I imagine when I think of Sonic especially with Sonic
Spoiler:
being alone with out his friends.
. His personality also fit as an origin point. I could see Sonic acting like this before he decides to be a hero.

-The movie was entertaining all the way through and actually keeps interest when Sonic is not fighting Robotnik or when the human characters are on. People that watched Sonic X know humans can kill a Sonic story.

-The changes to the origins were fine and that actually not only fit the plot but open up ways for sequels to go.

-I felt like I could go play Sonic 1 after this film and it would fit which was nice.

What I didn't like

-I could have done without the small change to Sonic's power but it is what it is. I also thought the change to the rings could have been better but these are just nitpics.

Now Spoilers
Spoiler:
-Tails got the biggest pop of the night from my theater and the whole family loved seeing him at the End.

-Jim Carey also going full Robotnik was great to see and fit in with what I said about origin stories.

- I could easily see this being a Trilogy with what was set up. Part 2 should deal with Robtonik's return, Sonic learning to team with Tails and I think we could see Metal Sonic even though I would pefer Silver Sonic and possibly the Death Egg. What I see happening however is them trying to squeeze Knuckles into the sequel as the main villain after what happened to Baby Sonic even though I would push him to Sonic 3.

If they save Knuckles for Sonic 3 then we could get Knuckles, the true Metal Sonic and the Chaos Emeralds. Amy could also be introduced here and they could combine Sonic 3 and Knuckles with Sonic CD for the plot. Super Sonic can be introduces here and then they could set up Chaos.

May ways I can see this franchise going if the box office allows. Can't wait for the sequel.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Here's how I imagine the sequel is going to be. If we go by the games this movie was Sonic and Eggman so
Spoiler:
Given Tails' appearance at the end. The next movie will be Sonic and Tails.

I have a theory the reason Tails knows about Sonic is because Longclaw actually escaped and survived and she eventually met Tails telling him about Sonic hence why Tails appeared on earth searching for him getting him to come home because trouble is stirring with Robotnik who found his way there and capturing animals and such like in the games. While there Sonic will eventually meet Knuckles again (Who was supposedly the Echidna head tribe) causing beef.

Either that or trouble is being stirred by the Echidna tribe still leading to beef between Sonic and Knuckles upon meeting again with Robotnik eventually showing up and having them put their differences aside to stop him.

I imagine Metal Sonic will be introduced and so Sonic, Tails and Knuckles will have to fight it and Robotnik.

Tom and his family I imagine will only be in the beginning with Sonic having to say goodbye to them.
So if my theory is true the sequels will start becoming more like the games. Movies based on franchises that seem start off swaying away a bit off from their source material until the sequels start being closer to them.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Cute movie. About what I expected.
Spoiler:
My only major gripe is how they tried forcing conflict where there didn't need to be any with Sonic and Tom regarding him moving to San Fran. Just let the man move, Sonic. A small community's nice and all, but some people prefer not being cooped up in the same area.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

How I imagine it going down/I'd do it
Spoiler:
Sonic 2: Tails comes to find Sonic to help him on his homeworld due to Eggman invading from Eggworld. Culture shock of Sonic's Earth culture and the Mobiusans. Throw in Amy if you want. Knuckles finds Eggman on Mushroom World, where he convinces him Sonic is evil so they team up to "stop" him. They fight a bunch, Eggman reveals truth and unleashes Metal Sonic, all three team up to stop him.

Then 3 can be all the post 90s bullcrap like Shadow, Rouge, Gamma, Chaos, Silver and the other stuff that makes me fall asleep going thorugh the Sonic wiki

RIP Evan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

A more detailed idea of how I think Sonic 2 is going to go.
Spoiler:
Longclaw managed to escape and survive that's why Tails knew who Sonic was. She probably met him at some point and told him about Sonic and then Robotnik comes to Sonic's planet and manipulates the Echidna tribe telling them about Sonic being on earth and sending their strongest warrior Knuckles to seek him out so Tails goes to earth to warn him. Beef will occur between Sonic and Knuckles given what happened to the former when he was younger.

Robotnik will use this to his advantage such as capturing animals like in the games and once Sonic and Knuckles puts their differences aside due to things not going the way he planned he'll unleash Metal Sonic given the quill he still possesses which Sonic, Tails and Knuckles will have to face. I think Amy also has a good chance of appearing as well.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Sonic now has the best video game opening all time for a video game. It beat Pikachu.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Ironic that the movie everyone thought was gonna suck ended up being the most successful video game move in existence. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

tyrantgoji wrote:Ironic that the movie everyone thought was gonna suck ended up being the most successful video game move in existence. :P
More ironic that the number 2 video icon of the 90's that had one of the greatest downfalls would become arguably the greatest video game film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I wonder what video game film adaptions could follow.

An Crash Bandicoot live-action film? Peter Dinklage would play a great Dr. Neo Cortex. Even has the look, height and structure.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I wonder what video game film adaptions could follow.

An Crash Bandicoot live-action film? Peter Dinklage would play a great Dr. Neo Cortex. Even has the look, height and structure.
If someone was smart they'd do Tekken next.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Nah it's clearly gonna be Mega-Man! I need Christopher Lyod as Dr. Wily!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Hadn't considered it before, but I'd LOVE to see a live-action take on NiGHTS. The dream fantasy settings could translate really well on the big screen, as would the simple premise of "save dream world from wizard with a lot of hands".
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Unfortunately Detective Pikachu came out right on the heels of Endgame which I think hurt it badly. Now if they went with the original Sonic design do you think it wouldn't have actually negatively impacted the film?
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Unfortunately Detective Pikachu came out right on the heels of Endgame which I think hurt it badly. Now if they went with the original Sonic design do you think it wouldn't have actually negatively impacted the film?
Yes. I think them changing the design let people know Paramount was trying to respect the franchise and it wasn't just a cash grab.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I got back from it a few hours ago and I must say I enjoyed it quite a bit.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Opening weekend is over. See how well Sonic has done so far.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/r ... _=bo_hm_rs

World Wide Gross: $111,000,000 million
Domestic Gross: $68,000,000 million

With likely no competition for the next couple of weeks until Onward this films should keep going strong given how well its done so far. $500 million is surely an possibility.