Ultimate Spider-Man TV Series

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man TV Series

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 am

Drake Bell can't and never can beat Josh Keaton.
Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Med Student

I survived 12/34/5678

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
It's LeviOsa, not LevioSA!

Geiger Counter

Postby o.supreme » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:17 am

Call me crazy, but I am actually more excited for the return of The Avengers:Earths Mightiest Heroes. I know they held back season 2 (8 months!!) so they could cross-promote with the new Spidey series and the vengers live action film, but seriously! This has been quite a wait, I just hope they run all 26 episodes straight without any breaks, or at least very few.

I think its odd how Disney wants to create a "Super Hero" programming block with only 2 shows. Unless they throw in re-runs of older series, thats not much of a block. Just 1 hour of good TV.
Looking for Ebirah Horror of the Deep Intl. Dub(PAL VHS or DVD sourced from PAL VHS with original title card & Credits)
o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Crocodile » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:32 pm

All I know so far is Nova will be in it and we're going to get Frog Thor

Oh god Throg is in it? Are the other pet Avengers in it too?
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies
Crocodile
Futurian

Postby mecha-gino » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:33 am

Crocodile wrote:
All I know so far is Nova will be in it and we're going to get Frog Thor

Oh god Throg is in it? Are the other pet Avengers in it too?

I don't know, it's REALLY in the work footage and everyone is still in story board form but Throg is in it yet. Will the other Pet avengers appear? Maybe but for now it's just Thor as a frog.

So this and Avengers are suppose to debut on April 1st right? Wouldn't it be hilarious if this all turned out to be a horrible April Fool's day joke and instead they show an episode from the 60's Spider-man show with the famous theme song and then they showed that REALLY old Avengers show? XD
A proud supporter of just leaving Alienhulk's opinions of films alone and a butthurt non-supporter of the man of steel topic who won't post there until it's merged with the other superman topic.
*awesome troll face*
U Mad
http://i48.tinypic.com/o9fsc1.jpg
mecha-gino
EDF Soldier

Postby o.supreme » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:00 pm

mecha-gino wrote:So this and Avengers are suppose to debut on April 1st right? Wouldn't it be hilarious if this all turned out to be a horrible April Fool's day joke and instead they show an episode from the 60's Spider-man show with the famous theme song and then they showed that REALLY old Avengers show? XD

I doubt it would happen, but I think it would be great. I have the 60's Spider-Man on DVD, and at least one episode (The origin story) appeared on Jetix a few years back. The 1960's Marvel Superheroes shows were supposed to be made available on Netflix as of fall 2011, but it sadly has still not happened. I found some really interesting episodes on Youtube however (btw... There never was an Avengers toon It was just Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk , & Sub-Mariner in individual adventures, but many series did feature teams. I just watched HULK episode that had the Avengers and bascially followed the comic-book spot on from the early days as to why HULK left the Avengers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marvel_Super_Heroes

But still I cant wait for April 1st either way. I've even done my own re-wording of the Avengers Theme Song "Fight as One", as what I might think it would be in application to season 2 (I have no idea if they are going to do a new intro or not...)
Looking for Ebirah Horror of the Deep Intl. Dub(PAL VHS or DVD sourced from PAL VHS with original title card & Credits)
o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Zilla103192 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:19 pm

60s Spidey is on Netflix.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Zilla103192
Freelance Artist

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Rodan

Postby o.supreme » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:41 am

Giving this topic a bump as the show premiered on Sunday 04/01/12. It is also available to watch on Marvel kids website. Well initial reports of this show seem to be pretty split down the middle. Great fp0r kids. Spider-Man & comic fans seem to be pretty negative towards it. I can understand why. I'm on the fence myself, but will probably keep watchign as my 6 year old son loves it.

Positives: The animation looks superb! Definitely better than the look of "Spectacular". However the SD cut scenes are annoying and not nessacary. Paul Dini- A Great writer. I love everythign he's contributed for DC/Warner. With his first venture into the Marvel universe I'll give him some slack. I may be wrong, but it seems he was getting pressure to throw in as many Avengers referrences as possible to tie in the upcoming movie. The variety of villains was pretty well done, and the action/fight sequences were pretty impressive as well. Nice Camero by Stan lee (as always) and casting J. K. Simmons as JJ was a nice moce. I just hope they give him some classic one liners as he was given in the films.

Neutral- Plot- I thought it was going to be something akin to Batman TB&TB (guest hero each week). But not quite. Instead we get Parker being trained by SHIELD and forced to work with a team of young heroes (Iron Fist, White Tiger, Nova, & Luke Cage). I've always seen these characters as adults, not teenagers, but admittedly I never read any of their 1st appearances so I cant say for sure.

Negatives- Parker/Spider-Man's voice- I can see how the Voice Director can say itfits the bill, but I just find it a little too annoying. Parkers nerdiness comes out, btu he is supposed to be pretty smart, he just dosen't seem so as Spider-Man. Also- "cool" Aunt May- dosen't work for me. She dosen't have to have one foot in the grave, but Bowling? Yoga? come on! Constant breaking the 4th wall- as "Batmite" on BTB&TB, this works perfectly, we almost expect it. But the main character in his own show, not quite. The other Spider-Man series seem to do pretty good about him always speaking to himself without speakign to the audiance, why cant this show? No theme song??-- OK this is a trend I've seen over the past year that I am going to break into another thread, but the lack of a theme song, especially for 1/2 hour toons is sorely lacking here.

So... Anyone else get a chance to see it? And if so what are your thoguhts?
o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Destroyer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:27 am

Yeah I wrote a review of it over at my blog and CBM.

Spider-Man is one of the greatest superheroes ever created. He ranks in popularity along with Superman and Batman. There have been quite a few shows with the Wall-Crawler, dating back to the 60's. It wasn't until 1994 when he got what is known as his greatest TV outing ever. The famous Animated Series is still being watched today. I remember years ago when they use to air the marathons on Saturday mornings, good times. I grew up watching the show, it's one of the prime factors of why I'm a fan of the character. It put story ahead of the action. Then on March 8th, 2008, the now-canceled Spectacular Spider-Man aired. I gotta be honest, I think the show is a little overrated, and this is coming from a longtime fan of the character. It had some good stories, but the overall tone was just too kiddish for my taste, and the animation was awful. A lot of fans were sad when it was canceled, I personally was ready for a new show. The thing about this show is that it's being produced by Marvel from the ground up. It would be set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. (So cameos by the Avengers? YES.) I remember being really excited when the first teaser was released, it looked to bring back everything the 90's show had. Then slowly more clips were released, the tone had changed. It looked to be a comedy. My expectations dwindled a bit, I really didn't know what to fully expect. After watching the premiere, I can safely that this is one of the most enjoyable shows currently on television.

You know how this show is constantly being compared to Batman: the Brave and the Bold? There are some similarities, but it IS different. (AKA, better.) There's just something about this show that makes it extremely fun and enjoyable. I technically shouldn't like some of the goofiness, such as Spidey going on a motorcycle and not knowing how to stop it, but a lot of it is genuinely funny. I also like how Spidey is portrayed, surprisingly. His dialogue in Spectacular I felt was never that great, here the writing is pretty strong and, well, funny. I also like how Spidey's powers are used, there are some really clever occurrences. (The scene in the school where he wisely used a table comes to mind.) I also like how his intelligence is used in combat, specifically in a scene with the Wizard using 'air hostages.' Really, I'm liking the way Spidey is being portrayed. And with a great voice (Drake Bell) to match, this TV show version of Spidey is right up there next to the 90's one. (Not quite up to that standard, but not a bad runner-up.)

This show is in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. What is the extent of that you ask? Well, how about Nick Fury AND Agent Coulson? That's right, it's pretty awesome and pretty funny at the same time. This Nick Fury matches his movie counterpart perfectly. (Just missing Sam Jackson's voice.) Agent Couslon looks to be a humorous part of the cast thanks to the funny plot twist at the end. People may not like some of the new versions of the characters. For example, this version of Aunt May is a hipster (I probably should find a better term) who does yoga AND beats Peter at video games. It's a different change of pace than the frail senior citizen we're used to. Norman Osborn and Harry Osborn remain pretty much the same as past incarnations, not a fan of either's design, too generic looking. Doc Ock's new design looks interesting from the few glimpses we get. Mary Jane wants to work for J. Jonah Jameson, now that's interesting.

I must say that the beginning of the first episode was perfect. JJJ (with J. K. Simmons as his voice, excellent choice) saying how Spider-Man's a menace and the latter narrating was just a perfect start. This show is definitely different, and I mean different. Whenever a new, major character appears, the screen turns to him with Spidey narrating who he is. And sometimes in fight, there's thhat 'TWAK!" and 'POW" words when Spidey punches or kicks someone. (Another similarity to the Brave and the Bold.) However, this is not a team-up show, this is still a Spidey-centric show. There's a story, but the show is all over the place. There really isn't a set 'arc' yet, but that's to be expected since it's just starting. One of the fun things about this show is the inclusion of other heroes. Here we have Iron Fist, Luk-I mean Power Man, White Tiger, and Nova. First of all, I just want to say that I can't stand when they turn a character younger to 'relate' to the audience or whatever logic they have. With that said, they were better than what I expected. I especially liked Luk-I mean Power Man. (I love how they made fun of the whole 'Luke Cage Power Man' thing.) I look forward to seeing more of these characters in the show. I love the in-jokes only Spidey fans can get. I laughed hard at the part where he said, "This is the part where I write my friendly neighborhood note, do you have a pen I can borrow?" (Then there's a jab at Amazing, saying how being Ultimate is better. Only comic fans would get that one. Also, the animation is top notch. Unlike the strange animation of Spectacular, this one is more traditional and akin to the 90's show. Spidey looks great, the animation is just top notch.

Overall, some may dislike this new series, some may even hate it. I on the hand had a blast watching it. (Remember, this is coming from a HUGE fan of the character, and of the 90's show.) Sometimes the tone could get a little TOO goofy for my tastes, but it's just so darn fun and enjoyable. Spidey has never been more of a great, humorous focus. This is a different kind of Spider-Man show, one that doesn't take itself too seriously. I really technically shouldn't like when something's like that, but there's something about this show that keeps me invested. It's Spider-Man, it's funny, it's superhero action with top notch animation. It is a good day to be a Spider-Man fan.

8/10.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Owner of http://destroyers-editorialsandreviews.blogspot.com/
Destroyer
Ultron

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla, Rodan, and Vakishim

Postby Zilla103192 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:44 am

I just watched it this morning. I liked it.

Not as good as Spectacular... but I liked it.

I like the VERY small change made to the suit, where they just removed the stripe of red going up his arms. I think the suit looks sort of better that way.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Zilla103192
Freelance Artist

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Saw the first ep, and I had to say I was impressed.

Then they gave him a damn motorcycle in episode 2...lost some of my faith right there. Get rid of it.
Herpy Derpy Doo

I survived 12/34/5678

Spirit Ghidorah 2010

Geiger Counter

Postby Zilla103192 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:14 pm

I kinda feel like the motorcycle won't last long...

Zilla103192
Freelance Artist

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Postby Crocodile » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:34 pm

I loved it, and I don't really mind the motorcycle, I doubt the show will become Spider Rider. Spidey himself was even joking about how weird an idea it is.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies
Crocodile
Futurian

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:49 pm

zilla103192 wrote:I kinda feel like the motorcycle won't last long...

Hopefully. It's tarnishing an otherwise very enjoyable TV show that has lots of potential.

Spectacular will always remain my favorite series, but I'm keeping my eye on this one.
Herpy Derpy Doo

I survived 12/34/5678

Spirit Ghidorah 2010

Geiger Counter

Postby Zilla103192 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:20 pm

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:
zilla103192 wrote:I kinda feel like the motorcycle won't last long...

Hopefully. It's tarnishing an otherwise very enjoyable TV show that has lots of potential.

Spectacular will always remain my favorite series, but I'm keeping my eye on this one.

I am enjoying the series alot so far too.

I have seen reviews complaining about drakes voice acting, but I don't think it's too bad.

Zilla103192
Freelance Artist

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Postby Hotrod93 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:05 am

Just got finished watching it, The New Episode with Venom. Even with Venom being in it, it still could'nt save it for me.

It just flat out sucked, I've never hated a Spiderman Series. Sure ive had my "least favorites", but skreeonk it was just awful.
The show is sure made for kids or for anyone who still thinks saying "wiz" is funny. I honestly dont understand what went wrong....oh wait, Disney.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Hotrod93
JXSDF Technician

Geiger Counter

Postby Zilla103192 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:51 am

Watched this with my friend the other day and he pointed out that this would of been better as a Deadpool show. I think he might be right.

I haven't been into Deadpool that much ever, but I am familiar with his sense of humor, and it seems to fit here a bit better

Zilla103192
Freelance Artist

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Postby o.supreme » Thu May 10, 2012 8:19 am

The most recent Hulk episode was honestly the first one I could say I legitimately liked. The fact that it had the annoying "in camera" view for most of the episode was an eyesore real quick but... There were no chibi shots, no breaking the 4th wall, and Fury's team only made a brief cameo as their alter ego's. Its too bad this episode is the exception rather than the norm, or maybe, ever so slowly, this show will start to mature?
o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Zilla103192 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:29 am

I can't watch ANY new episodes!

Fios only has the 2nd and 3rd episodes on Demand. And I always work when the new episodes are airing.

Zilla103192
Freelance Artist

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Postby mecha-gino » Thu May 10, 2012 11:21 am

I watched about 3 episodes of the show, I would more IF OUR DVR DIDN'T CRAP OUT ON US A FEW TIMES! D:<

The best way I can describe this is it's like teen titans, only not funny and kind of lame. It may pick up but I dunno and YES I hate the Spider-Bike. Also why does Capt's costume seem a little bit different? Is this the ultimate Universe or a version of the movieverse?
A proud supporter of just leaving Alienhulk's opinions of films alone and a butthurt non-supporter of the man of steel topic who won't post there until it's merged with the other superman topic.
*awesome troll face*
U Mad
http://i48.tinypic.com/o9fsc1.jpg
mecha-gino
EDF Soldier

Postby Zilla103192 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:02 pm

mecha-gino wrote:I watched about 3 episodes of the show, I would more IF OUR DVR DIDN'T CRAP OUT ON US A FEW TIMES! D:<

The best way I can describe this is it's like teen titans, only not funny and kind of lame. It may pick up but I dunno and YES I hate the Spider-Bike. Also why does Capt's costume seem a little bit different? Is this the ultimate Universe or a version of the movieverse?

I only saw the bike in one episode so far, and even Spidey himself didn't care for it.

and apparently it's marvel TRYING to tie it into the movieverse... but meh.

Zilla103192
Freelance Artist

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:36 am

I still prefer Spectacular Spider-Man. By far my favorite animated Spider-Man series.
Herpy Derpy Doo

I survived 12/34/5678

Spirit Ghidorah 2010

Geiger Counter

PreviousNext

Return to Media Center