Any Friday the 13th fans here?

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
The One and Only
Futurian

Re: Any Friday the 13th fans here?

Post by The One and Only »

kamilleblu wrote:
GodzillavsJason wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:Jason's parents were allegedly never really proud of him. But they kept him around because he was good at making a quick buck.
Actually you're kinda half right.

Pamela loved Jason and always kept him around. If he was there just to make a quick buck for them then Pamela wouldn't have gone apeshit in Part 1.

Now Elias, you're onto something because I believe he was there for the first few years of Jason's live but left Pamela and Jason due to his son's deformity and went on to marry some other chick. Hence how we have Diana Voorhees (Jason's half sister) and her decedents. He stayed with them due to them not having much baggage and no deformity.
I was actually talking about Paramount Pictures (I should have been more clear). Can't remember which one it was, but I saw a documentary a while ago that claimed Paramount was kind of embarrassed about the Friday the 13th franchise.
"The Many Faces of Jason" that was on the DVD to JASON X when it first came out it was mentioned that the franchise was not particularly loved by the studio bosses. Paramount was known for flicks like The Godfather ,and Ordinary People that earned Academy Awards,and the brass could talk about at the cocktail parties. Horror had always been looked down by the studios at large. Even the classic Universal Horror flicks, which saved the studio, were considered by the studio's competitors a lowbrow cash grab in their day. Heck, Paramount was looking at bankruptcy after receiving a huge loss with a Godfather wannabe called King of the Gypsies ,and they bought F13. And when it was released it ended up knocking that obscure sci-fi flick, The Empire Strikes Back, off the top earnings spot. Saving Paramount. But despite that they were always ashamed of it, and when profits went down, they gave the rights to New Line.

Also, I posted this on the "Crossover Thread" , but you'd like to see this comic strip written and drawn by Tim Seeley featuring Dexter encountering Jason, and Seeley's own creations, Cassie Hack ,and Vlad from HACK/SLASH.
Then we've got this commission from longtime HACK/SLASH
artist Daniel Leister.
Art by Chris Moreno.
Mushface Comics.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillavsJason wrote:The necronomicon bit was from Jason Goes to Hell, but that was just more of an Easter egg than anything. The only reason(s) why people talk about it so much is just purely fan theories and/or in the two Freddy vs Jason vs Ash Comic books where it plays as a plot point.
I completely understand this but to me personally that idea is a lot cooler and makes it easier for me to enjoy the series just because it makes things easier to understand. The Necronomicon can do so many things so it's a nice thing to excuse any of the inconsistencies I was talking about.

Also three: yeah I get the red zombie thing was a dream sequence but it was one of my favorite moments in the entire series. Others include when Jason gets hanged in part three (I think) and lifts himself off the rope. I also liked when Jason freezes the woman in Jason X and bashes her skull in.

I also would like to discuss the film where Jason isn't the killer but rather a copycat. I think it was part 5. I liked it but I get why people wouldn't. I thought a lot of moments were over the top as stupid (like killing the guy over a candy bar).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The One and Only
Futurian

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
GodzillavsJason wrote:The necronomicon bit was from Jason Goes to Hell, but that was just more of an Easter egg than anything. The only reason(s) why people talk about it so much is just purely fan theories and/or in the two Freddy vs Jason vs Ash Comic books where it plays as a plot point.
I completely understand this but to me personally that idea is a lot cooler and makes it easier for me to enjoy the series just because it makes things easier to understand. The Necronomicon can do so many things so it's a nice thing to excuse any of the inconsistencies I was talking about.

Also three: yeah I get the reed zombie thing was a dream sequence but it was one of my favorite moments in the entire series. Others include when Jason gets hanged in part three (I think) and lifts himself off the rope. I also liked when Jason freezes the woman in Jason X and bashes her skull in.

I also would like to discuss the film where Jason isn't the killer but rather a copycat. I think it was part 5. I liked it but I get why people wouldn't. I thought a lot of moments were over the top as stupid (like killing the guy over a candy bar).
Friday The 13th Part V: A NEW BEGINNING ! with
Spoiler:
the ambulance driver Roy
being the man behind the killings. At least most of the killings. The flick had come out just a year shy after The Final Chapter. Although as I remember the TV adverts had it that it was Jason who was back from the dead. A New Beginning was the last one that I saw for the first time when I first starting catching up on the franchise in the mid-nineties. I knew the "twist" with Jason in the flick, but it didn't stop me from enjoying it. But awhile later after watching the DVD I got of it, it hadn't fared so well with my inner critic. The whole thing came up as a hastily put together piece of film making. Also ,Junior, Ethel's cereberally challenged son is probably one of the most annoying characters to show up in the series. And you can't wait for him to die soon enough.

On the subject of Part 5, here's a musical remix, in good taste, of the Outhouse of Death scene from A New Beginning !.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

The One and Only
Futurian

Jason's Trailer for MORTAL KOMBAT X.

Gameplay video.

Jason's ending.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

My only exposure to the series was CineMassacre's reviews of all the films this year. Based on what I saw, I don't feel like I'd enjoy the movies. I still think it's very interesting that despite how poorly made the films are, Jason Voorhees is a true cultural icon. Everyone knows who he is even if only a small portion of the general population has seen a Friday the 13th film.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiser wrote:My only exposure to the series was CineMassacre's reviews of all the films this year. Based on what I saw, I don't feel like I'd enjoy the movies. I still think it's very interesting that despite how poorly made the films are, Jason Voorhees is a true cultural icon. Everyone knows who he is even if only a small portion of the general population has seen a Friday the 13th film.
It's one of those things that grows on you over time. It's difficult to explain but I think it's the same reason many people love Godzilla.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Kaiser wrote:My only exposure to the series was CineMassacre's reviews of all the films this year. Based on what I saw, I don't feel like I'd enjoy the movies. I still think it's very interesting that despite how poorly made the films are, Jason Voorhees is a true cultural icon. Everyone knows who he is even if only a small portion of the general population has seen a Friday the 13th film.
it's weird because so few have seen the film, yet the guy killing teens with a hyper-sex drive in a hockey mask is an icon.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

So Betsy Palmer passed away. It's funny how a role/movie she originally did entirely for the money it what she's most famous for.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah I read about that, pretty sad.

But I mean who wouldn't do it for the money?

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: But I mean who wouldn't do it for the money?
... What choices have you made in life with that attitude?
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: But I mean who wouldn't do it for the money?
... What choices have you made in life with that attitude?
I've never understood how doing things for money isn't a justification for doing something. Like sure there's more things to life, I'm not some sort of greedy power hungry capitalist, but if you're in a situation where you can improve your living conditions and possibly make your career better why not?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I posted a series ranking a few months back on a horror website I was writing for: http://www.theblood-shed.com/friday-the ... es-ranked/
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

eabaker wrote:I posted a series ranking a few months back on a horror website I was writing for: http://www.theblood-shed.com/friday-the ... es-ranked/
Cool, but I can't agree with your list at all.

My ranking goes:

Remake
GTH
X

Takes Manhattan is a terrible movie, but it does have some really good moments to it and it does technically end the franchise (again, but really for good since GTH doesn't make a lick of sense).

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
eabaker wrote:I posted a series ranking a few months back on a horror website I was writing for: http://www.theblood-shed.com/friday-the ... es-ranked/

My ranking goes:

Remake
GTH
X

Takes Manhattan is a terrible movie, but it does have some really good moments to it and it does technically end the franchise (again, but really for good since GTH doesn't make a lick of sense).
Actually, you agree with my list an awful lot in broad strokes, just not in small increments. We both place 1, 6 and 2 fairly near the top, we both place 5 and GTH fairly low, and we're both kinder than most to 7.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

eabaker wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:

My ranking goes:

Remake
GTH
X

Actually, you agree with my list an awful lot in broad strokes, just not in small increments. We both place 1, 6 and 2 fairly near the top, we both place 5 and GTH fairly low, and we're both kinder than most to 7.
I actually did have a lot more I said but it got deleted by a connection drop out, so the retyped post wasn't as detailed or worded as well.

The One and Only
Futurian

With the MORTAL KOMBT X Predator Expansion Pack coming out tomorrow. Here's the Predator trailer. Which features the Big Hunter From Outer Space facing off with none other than Jason himself.

The One and Only
Futurian

Take a gander at Sideshow Collectibles Premium Format Jason Voorhees-The Legend of Crystal Lake figure.http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33553 ... um-figure/

The One and Only
Futurian

Screenwriters Damiam Shannon and Mark Swift, amongst others. Talk about an alternate ending for the 2003 slasher showdown that never achieved fruition.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

wow, man. these guys have a boatload of restraint. i can't say that i would be a fan of the hellish hand ending, either. that didn't work for Jason Goes To Hell, and to have another instance where Freddy's hand comes up and takes the glove back would have been cheesy.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

The One and Only
Futurian

FRIDAY THE 13th:The Series coming to the CW.
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... at-the-cw/
Dangit, I don't get the CW anymore. I was pulling for MTV. Heck, they're doing gangbusters with TEEN WOLF and SCREAM.