What ruined your day?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Kinggoji1962 wrote:I mean disney are the ones who ruined star wars, those are just fans with taste.
And by 'taste' you mean 'snobs with nothing better to do'?
Or maybe both have ruined it for all I care. :lol:
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Kinggoji1962 wrote: I mean disney are the ones who ruined star wars, those are just fans with taste.
Oh my god. It's a black guy in a lead role. And a woman scolded Poe. Disney is a sjw libtard! The horror!

:roll:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I think it's safe to say that the people who have issues with the casting are a very loud, very screechy extreme minority. Now, when it comes to issues of gender, I think that there can be a bigger divide with people feeling that certain characters are badly written, but are receiving unfair defense because they are female ('the person who scolded Poe is an idiot, but no.one will acknowledge it because she's a 'strong female lead''), so that might be a more contentious issue in the broader fan base- but I don't think that 9 out of 10 fans, if not more, have any issue with the casting of female leads or leads of non-white ethnicity.

The average conflicts that I see over these movies have to do with the interpretations of characters and their actions, how well or poorly written characters are, the logic of certain plot points, and the overall message and tone and feel as it relates to the Star Wars franchise as a whole. I would say that a lot more conflict comes from the attempted deconstruction of Star Wars and its icons in this film than it does from having women in key roles or a black lead.

Regardless, both the direction of Star Wars- and for me the Last Jedi did have a lot more to do with it- and the constant sniping in the fanbase these days has left me in a very similar place. I still plan to see Solo, but beyond that, Star Wars has mostly lost me...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Kinggoji1962 wrote: I mean disney are the ones who ruined star wars, those are just fans with taste.
Oh my god. It's a black guy in a lead role. And a woman scolded Poe. Disney is a sjw libtard! The horror!

:roll:
The alt-right actually thought Rogue One had a sinister "anti-white agenda" and attempted to boycott it. You, know the one that made over a billion dollars.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm not going to let sniping fans ruin Star Wars for me. I'm not there for the fandom, I'm there for the content.

And, of course, I fucking loved The Last Jedi.

Seriously, if the fandom is hurting your ability to appreciate the movies, just don't interact with the fandom.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Since when did becoming part of a fandom be essential to enjoying something

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Well... considering where we all are... :)

Typically when you become a major fan of something, you want to share that enthusiasm with like-minded fellows. In which case, fandom can be important. And as a life-long Star Trek, Star Wars, and Godzilla fan, and decade-long Doctor Who fan, who has stepped away from the former two fandoms and had frustrations with franchise-entries that have been distinctly compounded by the rest of fandom's placing of those frustrations on a pedestal as amazing in all four of those fandoms... yeah, being out-of-step with the fandom, with the other people who share a passion and you want to interact with, or having a distinctly contrary opinion that is repeatedly and vociferously opposed by the prevailing mood of the general fandom can be frustrating and somewhat spoil the enjoyment.

Not that the other fans are in any way wrong or malicious in doing so (as opposed to the example of racist or sexist fans used above); when it comes to differing opinions, people like what they like. But being the minority voice and seeing something that annoys you repeatedly praised is just kind of... not fun. :) And proof of concept for why being out of lockstep with fandom can be an unenjoyable environment (which is only compounded when the abrasive opinion that is or seems to be prevailing is one that's actually morally offensive).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:Typically when you become a major fan of something, you want to share that enthusiasm with like-minded fellows. In which case, fandom can be important.
I get that (obviously, as you said, look where this conversation is happening). But if it coms down to a choice between being a fan of the thing without participating in the fandom, or not even being a fan of the thing at all anymore, I'm just gonna step away from the fandom.

Of course, in the case of Star Wars, I never felt the need to seek out organized fandom, because Star Wars is so ubiquitous that one is constantly surrounded by other fans. Why would I need to attend a con or go on an internet forum to talk about something that I can always talk about with my wife, my mother, my boss, literally every close friend I've ever had...?
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:Typically when you become a major fan of something, you want to share that enthusiasm with like-minded fellows. In which case, fandom can be important.
I get that (obviously, as you said, look where this conversation is happening). But if it coms down to a choice between being a fan of the thing without participating in the fandom, or not even being a fan of the thing at all anymore, I'm just gonna step away from the fandom.

Of course, in the case of Star Wars, I never felt the need to seek out organized fandom, because Star Wars is so ubiquitous that one is constantly surrounded by other fans. Why would I need to attend a con or go on an internet forum to talk about something that I can always talk about with my wife, my mother, my boss, literally every close friend I've ever had...?
It's different when you're a fan of the EU, or other niche aspect of the franchise. That's usually where a deeper involvement with the fandom comes in.

But yeah- a connection with fandom isn't essential for enjoyment (at least, not for everyone). But sometimes, if your brand of enjoyment is centered around sharing an experience or an enthusiasm, then I would think for some personality types, it can be a fairly integral part.

Maranatha!

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

I don't know if this is thanks to finally unwinding from the surgery and therefore being able to focus or not, but in the last day, I seem to have come to what probably amounts to an obvious conclusion: I'm an idiot.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ And the last horse crosses the finish line. Don't worry, though, you're among your own kind here.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

JAGzilla wrote:^ And the last horse crosses the finish line. Don't worry, though, you're among your own kind here.
I knew THAT. :lol:

Just kidding. Thank you JAG.
goji89 wrote:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:I knew THAT. :lol:
Hey-! What the-? I don't-

I don't understand what you're saying. Use smaller words.

Maranatha!

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Ignore what was here please.

Except for this picture, which I'm leaving 'cause I think it's kinda funny.

Last edited by Dawsbfiremind on Thu May 03, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goji89 wrote:

Snake
Samurai

Post by Snake »

I feel so terrible that I'm not on here more often.
They never found any corpse.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Finally woke up this morning feeling rested, which meant my writing drive was back.

Then I checked my e-mail and found my third rejection*. This is getting old.

*It was a weird fiction magazine mind you, and they said it was a little weirder than they normally do, therefore rejection.
How did I manage that?
goji89 wrote:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Past couple of days been kind of under the weather. Must of caught some bug or flu...Feeling better for the moment but not holding my breath since it could come back...-_-
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue May 08, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Past couple of days been kind of under the weather. Must of caught some bug or flu...Feeling better for the moment but not holding my breath since it could come back...-_-
Edit: I totally read your post too fast hahahaha. Glad you're starting to feel better!
Last edited by Maritonic on Tue May 08, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Finally woke up this morning feeling rested, which meant my writing drive was back.

*It was a weird fiction magazine mind you, and they said it was a little weirder than they normally do, therefore rejection.
How did I manage that?
If it's only consolation, J.K Rowling went through 20+ rejects before Harry Potter got published.
If she can make it, you will too.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Finally woke up this morning feeling rested, which meant my writing drive was back.

How did I manage that?
I'd say "too weird for a weird fiction magazine" is an achievement in its own right, and you should take some pride in that! :D

I was briefly involved in a web series called "Make Your Friends Uncomfortable," and a sketch a friend and I wrote was rejected by the producer because it made her too uncomfortable.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue May 08, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.