What ruined your day?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
UltramanGoji

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by UltramanGoji »

If you haven’t actually watched the movie, stop talking.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'm confused. Would you rather there not be a parental warning attached to the movie?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Who knew that a movie that critiques sexualization of minors would feature sexualization of minors.

That's just whacky.

What's next, an anti-war movie that features war-related themes?
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Hmm.

I think it's safe to say that nobody here is going to or had any plans to watch this movie. That being the case, the only thing we have to go off is the word of people across the internet, be that news articles, YouTube commentators, professional or casual film reviewers and the like. After the initial hubbub, I pretty much decided the only way to get to the bottom of the mess was to either watch it myself, or wait for reviews, so I stopped paying attention to the news about it.

Now that it's out, I've just checked both the IMDB page and Rotton Tomatoes, and the early reviews have done exactly what I was expecting. Critical response is very positive, audience score is very negative. When this happens(in either direction) it signifies to me that the movie needs more time to stew and more reviews before I can get a reliable picture of the situation. If you read the IMDB page you'll notice several of them didn't actually even watch the whole movie before going to write their reviews. So clearly, we have a lot(but not all) of professionals ignoring or downplaying the objectionable stuff to praise the film, and a lot(but not all) of audiences running in half-cocked after the first thing that made them squirm to rant about it without seeing the bigger picture. As such, I am waiting for cooler heads to prevail before passing judgment, and even that judgement has an asterisk because I haven't seen it. This is how I normally gauge movies I haven't watched.

Getting angry about something I have not seen based on terrible ad campaigns and internet mobs that started running around with torches and pitchforks based on those campaigns isn't my style. The movie has barely been out a day in the states, all I'm suggesting is that people not condemn things based only on their predetermined perceptions of them.

And, to be crystal clear: If as things shake out Cuties does prove to be softcore pedophilia disguising itself as a deep film, then it shall receive my ire as such. If it proves to be an earnest critique of child oversexualization muddied by some poor decisions or execution, then I shall condone it as such.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

It get worse. 0:30 to skip the dumb intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjHpFl0-LKs

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

If anti-war films can get criticized for having sequences that inadvertently make war look awesome, this film can absolutely get slammed to hell and back for what it depicts, no matter the context.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I get what Cuties was trying to go for, but we don't need to be shown minors being sexualized to know that that's not okay. The only people who need to be told that probably need to seek help anyway.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kiryu2012 wrote:The only people who need to be told that probably need to seek help anyway.
Honestly would have been more productive to make a documentary about the help groups for pedos seeking help and treatment to prevent themselves from harming a child, could have helped someone and showed that hey you're not alone and hey there's programs to help you keep those urges under control so you don't ruin your own life and someone elses.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kiryu2012 wrote:I get what Cuties was trying to go for, but we don't need to be shown minors being sexualized to know that that's not okay.
Absolutely.

But we're not talking about informed critique here. We're talking about people decrying it without having watched it (or watched it in its entirety) as part of a politicized moral panic.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I saw the poster on Facebook, and a petition to cancel it. Based on that alone, without knowing any context, I could see why some people would be outraged. Then I looked into it and saw that the director is a female and a lot of it is based off her own personal experiences and it goes in depth. Now, I have not seen the film and if it contains anything that does actually seem to condone any scummy views than by all means get mad.

If anything, Netflix made a really stupid poster, and did a poor job at promoting it. Beyond that it's not worth getting so outraged by it.

I can't say I'm happy with all these trends of people always assuming the worst and not doing any research into what is actually going on.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

TK: "Cancel culture is unacceptable, and we will never advocate for it!"

Also TK:
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:TK: "Cancel culture is unacceptable, and we will never advocate for it!"

Also TK:
Spirit for once could you not be a forced and spiteful edgy strawman contrarian for about 5 seconds?
Last edited by ROMG4 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Weird hill some people wanna die on.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ROMG4 wrote:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:TK: "Cancel culture is unacceptable, and we will never advocate for it!"

Also TK:
Spirit for once could you not be a forced and spiteful edgy strawman contrarian for about 5 seconds?
Can we try to avoid posts that consist only of insults against other users?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Uncomfortable as it may be, i can at least say Cuties IS trying to send out a good message and it's not just trying to be pedo bait (although it's almost certain to be bait for some pedos anyway) but i don't think i can make myself watch this movie. Sexulization of minors still makes my stomach churn no matter what the message is.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Man, we're still talking about this?

Cuties generally isn't the type of movie I'd have had an interest in seeing anyway, regardless of its content being upsetting. I can't really therefore properly criticize or praise the movie, but I do have to wonder: maybe making people uncomfortable was the point? Maybe that's how it intends to get its message across?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Firestorm
Yojimbo

Post by Firestorm »

I envy the people that do die on those hills because they're not alive anymore. No longer shackled by things like eating, drinking, breathing, sleeping, maintenance, jobs, pain, isolation, emotions, trauma, talking, etc. What I wouldn't give for freedom like that, but because capitalism needs its beloved slaves euthanasia isn't legal in the states. I live near Trump supporters, if they decide to go full civil war on the libs maybe I'll be one of the lucky bastards to become the first murder victim. This sort of ties into what ruined today for me, very soon Discotek is going to have their annual big licensees announcement and they've done amazing jobs in the past.... Now I can't even get excited for that. I'm so done with this life shit.

Now stop talking about the pedo movie, mkay? I gave you something less bad to change the topic.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Firestorm wrote:No longer shackled by things like eating, drinking, breathing, sleeping
I like eating, drinking, breathing and sleeping.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Firestorm wrote:I envy the people that do die on those hills because they're not alive anymore. No longer shackled by things like eating, drinking, breathing, sleeping, maintenance, jobs, pain, isolation, emotions, trauma, talking, etc. What I wouldn't give for freedom like that, but because capitalism needs its beloved slaves euthanasia isn't legal in the states. I live near Trump supporters, if they decide to go full civil war on the libs maybe I'll be one of the lucky bastards to become the first murder victim. This sort of ties into what ruined today for me, very soon Discotek is going to have their annual big licensees announcement and they've done amazing jobs in the past.... Now I can't even get excited for that. I'm so done with this life poop.
I'm not trying to sound like someone trying to rule over your life, but dude, i really think you need to get therapy. I feel sorry as skreoonk for you but i don't think anyone here's really a proffesional at dealing with stuff like this.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gigantis wrote:
Firestorm wrote:I envy the people that do die on those hills because they're not alive anymore. No longer shackled by things like eating, drinking, breathing, sleeping, maintenance, jobs, pain, isolation, emotions, trauma, talking, etc. What I wouldn't give for freedom like that, but because capitalism needs its beloved slaves euthanasia isn't legal in the states. I live near Trump supporters, if they decide to go full civil war on the libs maybe I'll be one of the lucky bastards to become the first murder victim. This sort of ties into what ruined today for me, very soon Discotek is going to have their annual big licensees announcement and they've done amazing jobs in the past.... Now I can't even get excited for that. I'm so done with this life poop.
I'm not trying to sound like someone trying to rule over your life, but dude, i really think you need to get therapy. I feel sorry as skreoonk for you but i don't think anyone here's really a proffesional at dealing with stuff like this.
Yeah seriously the assholes and losers here are just gonna see you as an easy target. Don't give them ammo.