What ruined your day?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:49 pm Woke up from a fat nap to instantly hear about an ELEMENTARY school shooting, 14 dead.
Yeah I just saw that too. fucking awful stuff man, Jesus Christ.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:49 pm Woke up from a fat nap to instantly hear about an ELEMENTARY school shooting, 14 dead.
Just heard about it too.

I have no words…
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The worst part is I can't even say I'm shocked anymore. Just seems like another Tuesday in America.

sigh
Last edited by Spuro on Tue May 24, 2022 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

The death toll is worse than thought; 19 students, 3 teachers, and the shooter’s grandmother are dead.

Good fucking God…
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

kaijufanforever
G-Force Personnel

Post by kaijufanforever »

Work.

That is all. FedEx is really trying my patience, and the only reason I'm not straight up quiting is because I'm stubborn, shy, and the other employees and staff have said really positive things about me despite me raging lately.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Spuro wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:08 pm
The worst part is I can't even say I'm shocked anymore. Just seems like another Tuesday in America.

sigh
Nobody did jack shit when 25 kids were murdered a decade ago. I'll take a wild stab and predict that unfortunately nothing will be done this time.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:32 am Nobody did jack shit when 25 kids were murdered a decade ago. I'll take a wild stab and predict that unfortunately nothing will be done this time.
Take away the guns, we'll just wind up with serial stabbings. Or chemical attacks.
I don't think the issue is mental health, a lot of these shooters are just angry or hateful, and they're so disconnected that taking life seems like a logical extension of their emotions.
I don't think there's a solution besides a massive cultural shift. Even then... I just don't see what can be done. It happens, we wring our hands, talk about it incessantly for a year, then it happens again.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Im not smart enough to know the solution, but god damn is it so disheartening. Im not necessarily anti gun "under no pretext...if you know, you know". I wouldnt personally know how to regulate guns.

What I do know is that the best way to stop violent crime, generally speaking, is to put people into better living situations. Make sure they make enough to live off of, that they aren't stigmatized for trying to get help, and that it is inexpensive and accessible to them. I think most shooters these days are incels or people who associate with that sort of worldview, but chances are if life is decent for them overall and they can get mental health, they wouldn't be lead into incel culture in the first place.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:07 am
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:32 am Nobody did jack shit when 25 kids were murdered a decade ago. I'll take a wild stab and predict that unfortunately nothing will be done this time.
Take away the guns, we'll just wind up with serial stabbings. Or chemical attacks.
I don't think the issue is mental health, a lot of these shooters are just angry or hateful, and they're so disconnected that taking life seems like a logical extension of their emotions.
I don't think there's a solution besides a massive cultural shift. Even then... I just don't see what can be done. It happens, we wring our hands, talk about it incessantly for a year, then it happens again.
At the almighty risk of kicking a hornet's nest, if taking away guns would just lead to serial mass stabbings, considering how infinitely more readily available knives are compared to guns, shouldn't there already be a serial mass stabbing problem on par with or even exceeding our serial mass shooting problem?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

NSZ wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:51 am
At the almighty risk of kicking a hornet's nest, if taking away guns would just lead to serial mass stabbings, considering how infinitely more readily available knives are compared to guns, shouldn't there already be a serial mass stabbing problem on par with or even exceeding our serial mass shooting problem?
Not to mention that, as a Canadian, I can confirm we do not have a mass serial stabbing crisis going on up here.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

China, Japan, Taiwan and England have all had multiple cases of people running through trains or public spaces stabbing people. Those are places that to my knowledge, guns aren't as readily available as they are here.
I'm not talking about Canada, I'm talking about America, and whatever screws are loose here. What I'm saying is whatever sickness is present in this country won't just magically cease if all guns suddenly disappeared. People will find other ways to exercise their hate on others. All you need is a few common cleaning agents to make a chemical weapon or a bomb.
I'm just saying it's a deep seeded problem that I don't think can be fixed by increasing security or stripping a whole country of firearms.
Also, I'd like to say there's no risk of "kicking a hornet's nest." This is a big problem and I think level headed discussions are key to moving beyond the kind of toxicity that leads to atrocities like this. Or at least maybe helping us all cope.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Wed May 25, 2022 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:23 am China, Japan, Taiwan and England have all had multiple cases of people running through trains or public spaces stabbing people.
And how many people died in said stabbings?
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:30 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:23 am China, Japan, Taiwan and England have all had multiple cases of people running through trains or public spaces stabbing people.
And how many people died in said stabbings?
I'm not talking about numbers. If cutting down the victim count is all somebody wants to do about this problem, then go ahead, confiscate all the firearms. I'm just saying that ain't gonna stop the violence.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I think it's fair to say that there are multiple factors that need to be addressed here. There's no one fix that will make violence go away, but there are multiple fixes to both limit the outbursts and mitigate the damage done.

Closing social and economic disparities would be a huge step. So would decreasing the stigma around mental health care, and ensuring that it is more readily accessible to those in need. And broad changes in our cultural attitudes? Hugely important. Also in the mix, though, has got to be making it more difficult for people who present a risk to get their hands on assault weapons.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

NSZ wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:51 am
You also wouldn't be able to storm into a school and murder 20+ people with a knife as effortlessly as you would with a gun.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

My shift today starts at 5:30 in the afternoon, which means that I'm going to clock out at 1:00 in the morning. That wouldn't be a big deal....except that my shift tomorrow starts at 12:30 PM. I told the manager of my venue about this last week. She told she will look into it and will change my shift for either today or tomorrow....and she never did. So, after I clock out, I have to get back home as quickly as possible, go to sleep as soon as possible and hope to God that I will have enough sleep before forcing myself to wake up 8 hours later so I can get ready for my shift tomorrow. I f*cking hate it when my job does this. We have so many stand attendants at my work and yet they decide to give me these two shifts that are 10 hours apart from each other. If I end up having a hard time at work tomorrow, it will be because of that.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:43 am My shift today starts at 5:30 in the afternoon, which means that I'm going to clock out at 1:00 in the morning. That wouldn't be a big deal....except that my shift tomorrow starts at 12:30 PM. I told the manager of my venue about this last week. She told she will look into it and will change my shift for either today or tomorrow....and she never did. So, after I clock out, I have to get back home as quickly as possible, go to sleep as soon as possible and hope to God that I will have enough sleep before forcing myself to wake up 8 hours later so I can get ready for my shift tomorrow. I f*cking hate it when my job does this. We have so many stand attendants at my work and yet they decide to give me these two shifts that are 10 hours apart from each other. If I end up having a hard time at work tomorrow, it will be because of that.
Honestly if they said they were going to look into it and didn't I think it's within reason to give them a taste of their own medicine and call in. Your well-being is almost never worth sacrificing for a job. They can't really be angry at your for being inconsiderate when they're not attending to your needs as an employee.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:08 am
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:43 am My shift today starts at 5:30 in the afternoon, which means that I'm going to clock out at 1:00 in the morning. That wouldn't be a big deal....except that my shift tomorrow starts at 12:30 PM. I told the manager of my venue about this last week. She told she will look into it and will change my shift for either today or tomorrow....and she never did. So, after I clock out, I have to get back home as quickly as possible, go to sleep as soon as possible and hope to God that I will have enough sleep before forcing myself to wake up 8 hours later so I can get ready for my shift tomorrow. I f*cking hate it when my job does this. We have so many stand attendants at my work and yet they decide to give me these two shifts that are 10 hours apart from each other. If I end up having a hard time at work tomorrow, it will be because of that.
Honestly if they said they were going to look into it and didn't I think it's within reason to give them a taste of their own medicine and call in. Your well-being is almost never worth sacrificing for a job. They can't really be angry at your for being inconsiderate when they're not attending to your needs as an employee.
I could call in, but I'm not sure if I want to. Despite me being very annoyed at them whenever they do something like this, I always just comply, do what I'm suppose to do and start feeling OK by the time my shift is almost over. I just need to have patience and get on with it.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Apple ruined my day. Im not going to support them ever. And as much as I wanted to support Prehistoric Planet, its not happening. Sorry. Im watching it through other means.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't know the exact circumstances of your job, but in my own retail experience, you just have to keep badgering management to get schedule changes and things like that done. Sometimes you get idiot managers that just aren't going to help you or cooperate with you, but more often they're just busy and distracted trying to balance and juggle the whole shift, and forget things. Just keep reminding them to do whatever you need done, and if that doesn't work, go over their heads.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio