Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10578
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Official News topic

Postby eabaker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:15 am

Zarm wrote:Not only do we not discuss issues anymore, preferring to shut down or even threaten opposing viewpoints into silence, but in most issues, one side has just sort of claimed moral high ground status, and a frightening number of business-owners and public policies go along with enforcing it, choking off debate and making any discussion nigh0impossible for fear of the stick that the prevailing side wields to silence dissent.


And again, I'd say that this has always been true, not least of all the "one side has... claimed moral high ground status" aspect. I mean, Jerry Falwell literally named his organization "The Moral Majority."

Added in 5 minutes 57 seconds:
Zarm wrote:I don't think that's entirely accurate, though; because 'hateful people' are defined, via circular logic, as those with differing opinions. 'You can't disagree about X without being hateful' is reframed as 'Supporting hateful people is functionally equivalent to being hateful,' but 'hateful people' are still 'those who disagree about X.'


I disagree about the mechanism behind what we both agree is a problem. The starting point here is, "These specific officials support policies that hurt people." The unfortunate tendency is then to lump together an entire platform, to say, "Anyone who gets behind these people, and therefore any who gets behind anyone associated with these people, is hateful." But it doesn't begin with demonizing disagreement itself.

But I don't think we're gonna get on the same page on this one.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4749
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby Zarm » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:24 am

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:Not only do we not discuss issues anymore, preferring to shut down or even threaten opposing viewpoints into silence, but in most issues, one side has just sort of claimed moral high ground status, and a frightening number of business-owners and public policies go along with enforcing it, choking off debate and making any discussion nigh0impossible for fear of the stick that the prevailing side wields to silence dissent.


And again, I'd say that this has always been true, not least of all the "one side has... claimed moral high ground status" aspect. I mean, Jerry Falwell literally named his organization "The Moral Majority."


True- but I don't think the majority of businesses and public-policy-makers just rolled with it because he did so. That's what I feel like has changed in this last decade or two; people made the claims all the time. But now, people make the claims and, without question, some invisible cultural force declares them the instant winner for simply making the claim, and begins to enforce that victory with censure and threat and accusations of bigotry/ignorance/malfeasance/unpatriotism that have become the new baseline.

Basically, the claimants used to have the burden of proof that their moral high ground was actually morally and logically correct. Nowadays, it feels like the claim is considered the proof, and the burden of proof suddenly shifts to any dissenters. (Heck, I think it's the feeling of that exact phenomenon during the majority of the last decade, and resentful backlash against it, that put Donald Trump in the White House).

Added in 5 minutes 55 seconds:
eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:I don't think that's entirely accurate, though; because 'hateful people' are defined, via circular logic, as those with differing opinions. 'You can't disagree about X without being hateful' is reframed as 'Supporting hateful people is functionally equivalent to being hateful,' but 'hateful people' are still 'those who disagree about X.'


I disagree about the mechanism behind what we both agree is a problem. The starting point here is, "These specific officials support policies that hurt people." The unfortunate tendency is then to lump together an entire platform, to say, "Anyone who gets behind these people, and therefore any who gets behind anyone associated with these people, is hateful." But it doesn't begin with demonizing disagreement itself.

But I don't think we're gonna get on the same page on this one.


I think we're talking about two different things, in that case. (I think we're both trying to be vague enough to avoid a real-world political argument erupting, and in this case, that vagueness is working against us). I'm not talking about any particular officials, but more a general 'I treat anyone who has a different view as hateful because any differing view is hateful. If you argue with me or hold a different view, it can only be born of hatred.' A sort of assumption of bad faith combined with an automatic assumption that any differing viewpoint can only come from a place of hatred. (That, and its sibling-phenomenon seen heaviest on college campuses, where the very having of a differing opinion from the majority is treated as an act of hatred that must not get a chance to speak, much less make a case for its POV).

I think what you're talking about is more along the line of 'All Person-Y supporters are fanatics and bigots!' and 'Anyone takign person-Y's side in this debate could only be doing so because of their agenda'-style bad-faith politics in Washington?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10578
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Official News topic

Postby eabaker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:33 am

Zarm wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:Not only do we not discuss issues anymore, preferring to shut down or even threaten opposing viewpoints into silence, but in most issues, one side has just sort of claimed moral high ground status, and a frightening number of business-owners and public policies go along with enforcing it, choking off debate and making any discussion nigh0impossible for fear of the stick that the prevailing side wields to silence dissent.


And again, I'd say that this has always been true, not least of all the "one side has... claimed moral high ground status" aspect. I mean, Jerry Falwell literally named his organization "The Moral Majority."


True- but I don't think the majority of businesses and public-policy-makers just rolled with it because he did so. That's what I feel like has changed in this last decade or two; people made the claims all the time. But now, people make the claims and, without question, some invisible cultural force declares them the instant winner for simply making the claim, and begins to enforce that victory with censure and threat and accusations of bigotry/ignorance/malfeasance/unpatriotism that have become the new baseline.

Basically, the claimants used to have the burden of proof that their moral high ground was actually morally and logically correct. Nowadays, it feels like the claim is considered the proof, and the burden of proof suddenly shifts to any dissenters. (Heck, I think it's the feeling of that exact phenomenon during the majority of the last decade, and resentful backlash against it, that put Donald Trump in the White House).


As an atheist and as someone who has spoken at length with many gay friends (ranging in age from their 20s to their 70s - or, actually, a couple [in both sense of the word] may be in their 80s by now) about their experiences in our society, my perception of the power and influence of the Moral Majority (both the organization and the broader social movement) doesn't line up with yours.

Witch hunts are nothing new. At least we no longer live in society where people can be tortured to death in response to "spectral evidence."

I'm also starting to think that we're getting a little too abstract for the "News" thread, so I'm out of this one.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
KManX89
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 976
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Official News topic

Postby KManX89 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:20 pm

FBI is allowed to criminally prosecute Brett Kavanaugh for lying under oath to Senate.

The guy who claims he doesn't know Ford despite her dating one of his closest friends at the time, conveniently points to a calendar with all the names she named on it and lied about Keyser refuting her account on top of all his uncovered yearbook lies under oath can now be prosecuted or perjury ON TOP of the rape investigation (remember, there are no statue of limitations for rape/sexual assault in Maryland, so he can be criminally-prosecuted for that as well as being investigated).

Uh oh. Not looking too good for Cosbynaugh.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4749
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby Zarm » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:56 pm

Edit: You know what? I don't want to throw my hat into this ring. I have regrained from posting about this news story several dozen times in the past few days. Suffice it to say, I have been getting a very different perspective, and suspect that the investigation may conclude rather differently. But I hope that it brings some clarity and finality to what has become a horrible circus and, I personally believe, has horribly used two quite-possibly-innocent victims (and one, either way, that most certainly is) in the cause of dirty politics.
Last edited by Zarm on Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Greyshot151
Applebee's Manager
Posts: 2312
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:31 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Official News topic

Postby Greyshot151 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:34 pm

In regards to Ford/Kav deal,

Honestly, I tend to lead more so with Ford than Kavanaugh. I think for everyone, there is a piece of evidence that screams to innocence or guilt for this. Again, this is just for me, but here is the thing that makes me lean one way over the other:

The Therapist and dates - THIS is my biggest support of the claim. Again, people can come forth and lie, but the support of dates from previous sessions and what was said tend to give Ford a bit of credit here. Yes, his name wasn't said, but his profession was. As someone who is a friend with someone that experienced something akin to Ford, the name was never said just the general description of who they were. So again, its not hard evidence and totally biased on my past, but its what I homed in on the most.

I will say over the next week, it will be interesting to see what the FBI turns up.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10578
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Official News topic

Postby eabaker » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Greyshot151 wrote:As someone who is a friend with someone that experienced something akin to Ford, the name was never said just the general description of who they were.


Yeah, it is not at all unusual for a victim of assault (sexual or otherwise) to be not just unwilling, but functionally unable to say the name of their assaulter for years afterward; sometimes it's a big breakthrough moment when they can say it and move on from that stage.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Kwaidan
Posts: 5712
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am
Location: AWACS Long Caster
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:43 am

KManX89 wrote:FBI is allowed to criminally prosecute Brett Kavanaugh for lying under oath to Senate.

The guy who claims he doesn't know Ford despite her dating one of his closest friends at the time, conveniently points to a calendar with all the names she named on it and lied about Keyser refuting her account on top of all his uncovered yearbook lies under oath can now be prosecuted or perjury ON TOP of the rape investigation (remember, there are no statue of limitations for rape/sexual assault in Maryland, so he can be criminally-prosecuted for that as well as being investigated).

Uh oh. Not looking too good for Cosbynaugh.

And it seems Trump gave them "free reign" on Twitter. First of all, I hope Rosenstein or Wrey can actually confirm this, because I'm taking that claim with a truckload of salt. And secondly, considering how his Twitter is considered official government communications...does this mean the FBI will be allowed to defend themselves when he rebukes them for "stepping out of bounds"?

"Well Mr. President, you said we could interview whoever we deemed appropriate..."
Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Physician

goji89 wrote:Guess I'll leave, this place isn't what it used to be.


#Pro-Choice

User avatar
Gawdziller1954
Interpol Agent
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: Painis Island

Re: Official News topic

Postby Gawdziller1954 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Brett Kavanaugh confirmed for supreme court: https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/06/politics ... index.html
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Image
Image

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5232
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:22 pm

NASA just gave Godzilla his own constellation!!!!!!!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Kh&ampcf=1

SpaceGodzilla confirmed for everything!!!!! :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

User avatar
Dv-218
Futurian
Posts: 1924
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Official News topic

Postby Dv-218 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:04 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:NASA just gave Godzilla his own constellation!!!!!!!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Kh&ampcf=1

SpaceGodzilla confirmed for everything!!!!! :lol:


Whoa, this is skreeonking awesome. I honestly thought it was a joke at first untill I read the article. Looks like Godzilla achieved a literal star level of popularity :lol:

Now where's that Ghidorah black hole at tho.

User avatar
kingkevzilla88
Interpol Agent
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:15 am
Location: scotland
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:14 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:NASA just gave Godzilla his own constellation!!!!!!!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Kh&ampcf=1

SpaceGodzilla confirmed for everything!!!!! :lol:


Cool!

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5449
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Official News topic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:12 am

Potentially explosive "devices" found at the homes of the Clintons, Obamas, Time-Warner Building, CNN Building and The White House.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Kwaidan
Posts: 5712
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am
Location: AWACS Long Caster
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:15 am

Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Physician

goji89 wrote:Guess I'll leave, this place isn't what it used to be.


#Pro-Choice

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5449
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Official News topic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:23 am

Think I misspoke; White House is incorrect, but one was sent to CNN.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4749
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby Zarm » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 am

Oh, no. The last thing we need is someone reviving the unabomber shtick; it's way too immitatable.

And politically-targeted, no less. How much more violence is it going to take before both sides realize something drastic is needed to reconcile this polarization before we tear ourselves apart? :(
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13132
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:53 am

Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
ApexOversteer
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: Official News topic

Postby ApexOversteer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:54 am

Maritonic wrote:Think I misspoke; White House is incorrect, but one was sent to CNN.


White House "device" was reported, then retracted.
Image

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5449
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Official News topic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:19 am

Two more devices. Brings the total now to 12.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4749
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Official News topic

Postby Zarm » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:31 am



It doesn't help that the ads are literally calling this "The vote for America's future"; they're building this election up to be the apocalyptic war over the direction of the country for all-time. (As if the country won't just change directions with each presidential election the way it nearly always does). This partisanship is reaching an unsustainable fever-pitch, and bringing out the crazies... or perhaps they aren't crazy. They're just the only ones talking the insanity of our current political discourse to its logical conclusion; if there's no point in dialogue or discourse and the other side is purely evil, then shutting them up my any means possible is the only 'rational' course of action.

That insane proposition is basically the future we're building for ourselves; the outgrowth of this incessant vilifying and vitriol. And, yeah- sadly, while the left wages its wars with words and walkouts, the right tends to contain all the firearm enthusiasts. So, when the left-extremist come out, they go Orwellian... but when the right-extremists come out, they go Kaczynski.*

Either way, we have to find a way to stop feeding the cultural trolls; to get the extremists to go back to their hidey-holes and shadows, instead of sounding the battle-cry that has each of them spurred to action. Politics in America can't be war anymore, because this war is producing actual soldiers and actual casualties.

We need to find a way to talk to each-other again. And we need it badly.



*Also, I got my names mixed up; I googled 'McVeigh,' found out I had the wrong historical figure, and googled 'unabomber' immediately after that to get the right name, so I am guaranteed on some FBI watch-list now...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests