Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Re: Official News topic

Post by Legionmaster »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:but the difference is that an infected gum-line is only a threat to the sufferer, and a short-circuit in the brain is a potential threat to others.
You and I are going to sit down and write The Abscess That Ate Toledo. And it's going to be glorious.
bleep bloop

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

^^^ I agree with Cimmerian Dragon but the fact remains that the average public doesn't know anything about the statistics.
These laws are just put into place to keep people in a false sense of security so they can just go about their day.
Plus the media doesn't help the matter. They hardly ever report on guns saving lives. They barely even mention that the shooter in the mall was stop by a guy that had a pistol on him or when a pregnant women was able to grab a shotgun and protect herself from two guys trying to break down her door while holding machetes! ( not guns but machetes)
Besides, it's a proven fact that citizens being able to carry guns help prevent crime and banning guns does nothing.

Ok, heres a story for ya..

I live in a small town just 15 miles away from the Mexican border. So we are surrounded by Borderpatrol check points, PB helicopters flying in real low and surveillance blimps. All this to watch for Border crossers doing various things. (running drugs, guns, people ect.)
A few years ago a friend and I were hiking a nearby river that is known to be traveled by border jumpers and Coyotes. (the two leg kind) We were coming up from the river headed to his car when we were stop by a mexican covered in dirt and dust. In very broken english he said "you headed to tucson?" we kept replying "no we werent" but he continued asking while gaining speed toward us. He then put his hands in his jacket to grab something and said "your going to Tucson"
We notice he was grabing a pistol from his jacket, I just look at my friend as a "oh crap, what are we gonna do?" Just then a truck full of guys rolled up. The guy turned around and went back toward the river without saying anything.
We told the truck full of guys what happend and left that area.
I now know why everyone here carries a weapon just to go hiking. I doubt that guy would have tried anything if he saw both of us packing a sidearm.

I carry for protection of myself and more importantly my wife. No asshole behind a desk hundreds of miles away from me is going to tell me that I cant protect my family.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

U-Tom
Monarch Researcher

Post by U-Tom »

^ Glad to hear you weren't attacked super dangerous down there. It's good to see people on here not wanting to ban my guns. Obama can stick it in his pipe and smoke it. My father and I are going to go look at the gun store tomorrow they've had so many people there it's crazy. :shock: Gov. Rick Perry is even talking about having all teachers carry handguns that's what should be done. The Larry Pratt interview on Piers Morgan was a great example of how these crazy government boot lickers think. Best part was when he started name calling and throwing a pissy fit xD. Now China is calling for banning our guns...
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/indep ... 042820.htm

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

Gov. Rick Perry is even talking about having all teachers carry handguns that's what should be done.
I don't think having teachers carry guns is a very good solution either.
We need to address the Elephant in the room.

What goes through the mind of a person who does this
How do we see the signs (and we need tangible signs, not just an enthusiasm for violent video games, or firearms. Actual stuff)
Why these acts keep being inspired, and what we should do change this.

Instead of flipping the blame, or taking actions which don't address the underlying problems (Gun Control is probably as strong now, as it's ever going to get, and having teachers with guns just puts schools on alert waiting for the next attack) we need a tangible solution that starts with the individuals who do this. How do we understand (and if applicable help) them.

Also before anyone says anything, I'm not advocating more media coverage of the life of the shooter either. I'm talking professionals, sending data to other professionals.
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

As some may know, the very much dispised Westboro Baptist Church. The dingbats who protest the funerals of dead soldiers because their thinking that it's God's way of punishing the United States for accepting gays. The hatefilled have announced that the WBC is planning on protesting the victims' funerals. Well, now, in response, the Westboro Baptists are being condemmed for taking their hate filled messages too far by....the KU KLUX KLAN.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... hurch.html
Last edited by The One and Only on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

The One and Only wrote:As some may know, the very much dispised Westboro Baptist Church. The dingbats who protest the funerals of dead soldiers because their thinking that it's God's way of punishing the United States for accepting gays. The hatefilled have announced that the WBC is planning on protesting the victims' funerals. Well, now, in response, the Westboro Baptists are being condemmed for taking their hate filled messages too far by....the KU KLUX KLAN.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... hurch.html
It's bad when the KKK are pretty much the good guys in this.

Saying I "despise" the WBC is an understatement. I shan't say what I actually think about them here. The forum wouldn't be able to handle the post.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

wataru wrote:...I want to know where in the US do these people live where a thousand dollar rifle is deemed more necessary then a $250 carbine? No where in this country is there a force that deems anyone really NEEDING to privately own an AR-15, AK-47 or other semi-auto or assault rifle (AR-15 BTW is a single shot assault rifle).

I loved my Winchester 94E 30/30 lever action carbine. Less moving parts, more durable, easier to use, easier to TEACH people to use, A SHIT TON of alot cheaper then an AR-15.
Why do you need a Mustang? A little Fiat 500 will get you around town just as easily and for far less money.
bleep bloop

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

wataru wrote:...I want to know where in the US do these people live where a thousand dollar rifle is deemed more necessary then a $250 carbine? No where in this country is there a force that deems anyone really NEEDING to privately own an AR-15, AK-47 or other semi-auto or assault rifle (AR-15 BTW is a single shot assault rifle).

I loved my Winchester 94E 30/30 lever action carbine. Less moving parts, more durable, easier to use, easier to TEACH people to use, A SHIT TON of alot cheaper then an AR-15.

The AR-15 is not a assault rifle. There is no such thing as a single shot only assault rifle. The rifle must be capable of shooting in full-auto to be labeled as a true assault rifle.

I dont really care what people buy and how much it costs. I care about WHY they bought it. If someone buys a AK-47 because he loves the look and feel or history of it and just takes it for target shootin and even hunting, then more power to them.
If they bought it because they are worrying about some stupid SHTF scenario or some other event that can give them a good enough reason to grab the guns and run out the door shooting. well, then we have a problem.

That carbine of yours is just a deadly as a AR-15 or semi-auto AK-47 .

As for me I just perfer older Bolt-actions. Although I have a few .22's because they are some much damn fun!
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

wataru wrote:Is there no such thing as a single-action assault rifle? Yes. The M-16 has three firing variants - single, three burst and full auto.
I think Scoota was talking about there being no single-fire ONLY assault rifles. Which is more or less true. Pretty much any true assault rifle has a single-fire setting, but they all also come with burst and/or full auto.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

day_flyte
GPN Volunteer

Post by day_flyte »

Legionmaster wrote:

Why do you need a Mustang? A little Fiat 500 will get you around town just as easily and for far less money.
I'm confused. How did a post about firearms get a reply that sounds to be about cars? :?

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

day_flyte wrote:
Legionmaster wrote:

I'm confused. How did a post about firearms get a reply that sounds to be about cars? :?
The point is, nobody NEEDS a Mustang. A dinky Fiat will get you around just fine. Hell, for most people, a moped would suffice. But people go get Mustangs (and other powerful/fancy/expensive) cars because they LIKE them. That's called a free market, when you can choose which product you want to buy.
bleep bloop

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

I'll put this here because... because. Needed to share.

Newtown Survivor’s Family Seeks to Sue State for $100M
A Connecticut lawyer has filed a request to sue the state for $100 million on behalf of a 6-year-old girl who survived the Newtown, Conn., school shooting.
I dunno about you, but I'm disgusted by this. My reaction is summed up quite nicely in the comments section. Please read them. It restores the faith in humanity that was just lost by this very news story.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Mr. X wrote:I'll put this here because... because. Needed to share.

A Connecticut lawyer has filed a request to sue the state for $100 million on behalf of a 6-year-old girl who survived the Newtown, Conn., school shooting.
I dunno about you, but I'm disgusted by this. My reaction is summed up quite nicely in the comments section. Please read them. It restores the faith in humanity that was just lost by this very news story.
I tried to find your post in vain but regardless. Disgusted pretty much sums this up. Suing for $100m for a and I quote “forseeable harm.” I have no idea how this can be a forseeable event, it blows my mind how someone can even jump to the assumption. Thank you for sharing this.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Mr. X wrote:I'll put this here because... because. Needed to share.

That guy needs to go home and hug his child and stop trying to benefit from the deaths of others.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

A retort to the recent "public service" ad by celebs for gun control.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxRlpRcorEU
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

day_flyte
GPN Volunteer

Post by day_flyte »

Regarding gun control and such: I hear that more murders are committed with small handguns than assault rifles, since they're easier to sneak into places. Yet gun control advocates tend to focus more on "scarier" weapons.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

day_flyte wrote:Regarding gun control and such: I hear that more murders are committed with small handguns than assault rifles, since they're easier to sneak into places. Yet gun control advocates tend to focus more on "scarier" weapons.
I absolutely love gun laws like those. Remember that proposal in California that plans to get rid of trivial things like pistol grips? That was a riot.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyler wrote:The thing is though gun murders outnumber every one of those by a wide margin.
Also, there are a lot fewer accidental baseball bat beatings than accidental shootings.

That's not me taking astand on the gun control issue, byy the way. Just me expressing a complaint with what I see as a rather glib take on a nuanced issue.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

eabaker wrote:
Tyler wrote:The thing is though gun murders outnumber every one of those by a wide margin.
Also, there are a lot fewer accidental baseball bat beatings than accidental shootings.

That's not me taking astand on the gun control issue, byy the way. Just me expressing a complaint with what I see as a rather glib take on a nuanced issue.
Except that the murder rate with non-handgun firearms has been consistent with the rate with knives (first chart), so all this "zomg we need to stop assault weapinz NAO" talk is pretty knee-jerk and unwarranted. What's the next level of nuance that we take this to?
bleep bloop

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Legionmaster wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Except that the murder rate with non-handgun firearms has been consistent with the rate with knives (first chart), so all this "zomg we need to stop assault weapinz NAO" talk is pretty knee-jerk and unwarranted. What's the next level of nuance that we take this to?
Call me a nut, but I personally think the goverment just doesn't like the idea of it's people being armed with the same weapons the military uses. NO goverment wants to be on equal terms with the people they're governing.