Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Re: Official News topic

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Several car fire attacks in Sweden

One of the attacks happened at a mall near where I live. Actually I didn't know it was this extensive until I went looking for an English article to link here. I knew last night there were at least 4 neighborhoods in my county that were attacked. (Total of 7 in my county alone as I woke up this morning.)

All these attacks are is malice thinly disguised as protest.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

^ Glad you're okay Darth and keep us updated. Do you know if this would be connected to your general elections and can you inform us of how its shaping up?
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Too early to tell if there's a connection, but it's awfully suspicious.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Michael Cohen, Trump's former lawyer, pleads guilty to 8 counts of fraud.
Wasn't he the one who started the whole "Lock Her Up" schtick during the presidential election? Hmm, life comes at you fast.

Trump cancels Pompeo's trip to North Korea beause "I feel we are not making sufficient progress with respect to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula".
So we can take his Nobel Peace Prize and demote it from the "Never gonna happen" category to the "Never ever EVER gonna happen" category?
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

2004Zilla wrote:
This is heartbreaking.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Australian Government to muck up the internet!

http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/c
http://www.digitalrightswatch.org.au/20 ... ncryption/
The Australian Government have released a draft Bill [The Assistance and Access Bill 2018] designed to compel device manufacturers and service providers to assist law enforcement in accessing encrypted information. Although apparently developed to allow government agencies access to criminals’ encrypted communications, the Bill also grants broad, sweeping powers to government agencies that will harm the security and stability of our communications and the internet at large.

I honestly believe in a free and open internet and if with this goes through then it's one more step to 1984. so spread the word about this bullshit. DO IT NOW!

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Evacuation orders in place for much of Eastern NC, SC, and VA as Hurricane Florence on track to make landfall at Category Four strength.

We’re pretty well fucked, to be honest. Some are already calling it “the Harvey of the East Coast.” Some models have it hitting Wilmington or the OBX at near Cat-5 strength and/or behaving like Harvey did by stalling and dropping two feet worth of rain on us.. Matthew screwed things up for weeks and that only gave us ten inches IIRC.
Last edited by G2000 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Articles 11 and 13 passed with no amendments in the European parliament...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/12/eu-lawm ... t-law.html

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Darth Kiryu wrote:Articles 11 and 13 passed with no amendments in the European parliament...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/12/eu-lawm ... t-law.html
Do have a license for the link?

I do see how they can enforce this law, the manpower need to view every webpage for every day would nearly impossible to maintain.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I would suspect the power of bots and auto-recognition, the way youtube does in recognizing copyrighted music, etc.; which will probably only lead to additional false-positives and banning of fair-use clips...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Yeah, it's gonna be algorithms and bots. Context won't matter anymore.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

And speaking of Nike, Nike's sales up 31% after Kaepernick ad.
The "muh freeze peach!" crowd takes another L.

It gets better, though: LeBron James roasts conservatives who burned Nike shoes in protest of the Kaep ad.
The "muh freeze peach!" crowd once again showing how much they really care about free speech. P.S., look at all the fucks Nike don't give in light of the shoe burning, they already got your money, you idiots, so you're helping Nike, not the other way around. :lol: It's just like the people who complain about EA and Activision's DLC/microtransactions practices and still buy their games.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

I'm a free speech advocate and I don't care about the ad. I just think it's poorly worded, and as demonstrated, highly meme-able.

But I suppose you're just referring to the hippo crates.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I don't think it's especially hypocritical to support free speech and still not believe that everything said or supported with free speech is right. (Unless that;s not what we're talking about).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

When people say that free speech is an inalienable right...only to turn around and call for someone to be fired/arrested/deported/shot for doing or saying something that they disagree with, then THAT'S hypocritical. People here seem to forget the metric tons of shit that got flung at Kaepernick in 2016 for doing something as simple as kneeling.
He/him/his

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

No... it is a right not to have your speech censored by the government- that isn't a right not to have consequences of what you use that speech to say, especially in the private sector. The government has no right to restrict your ability to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater... but that doesn't mean you won't get in trouble for doing so. Heck, I don't agree with the firings of Roseanne Barr, (allegedly) Tim Allen, James Gunn, or Phil Robertson (just because I'm wary of the trend of 'the public must be your judge and censure', not because I don't disagree with what some of them said), but each of their 'crimes' was merely saying words that were condemned by some or all of the culture. In each case, they had the right of free speech to be able to say them... but the private companies who employed them had the equal right not to employ someone whose employment no longer reflected the company's best interests, and the public had equal right to boycott someone with whose position they disagree.

Is it a good idea? No. Is it hypocrisy? Also no, because freedom of speech is an entirely different issue from 'freedom from public consequences.' Now, there are people that misunderstand freedom of speech as something broader than protection from governmental suppression... and there are plenty of issues, from safe spaces and college campuses to rampant boycotts and general lack of communication, where we react too strongly to other people's speech or try too hard to censor it for ourselves, so it's not as if having a little more tolerance and willingness to listen to and engage with differing viewpoints isn't an excellent idea. We hardly have a perfect track-record of dealing with each-other's speech in this country, and we tend to fly off the handle in knee-jerk reactions pretty easily. So I'm not saying that anyone is without fault in that arena. But it isn't contradictory to hold of principle importance the right to a freedom, while still recognizing the reasonability of consequences in how you use that freedom.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

^excellently said.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

I think there's two kinds of free speech at this point: the legal sense (1st amendment) and the cultural sense. I see the cultural free speech being violated where I live now in Sweden. Should someone be fired for being racist towards their coworkers? Absolutely. But the culture here is super weird in what qualifies for racism nowadays. Merely disagreeing with the mass immigration is now racist, and therefore I think it's wrong for a company to fire someone if they think that mass immigration or the pipedream of multiculturalism is wrong or a failed test.

I actually had an old supervisor ask me what I thought of Trump. I was able to answer very diplomatically though. That I think Trump is an idiot but America deserves him, with how both sides (particularly the far left) have been acting in recent politics.

I already don't like discussing politics with anyone I work with, but I don't dare go into my views on feminism unless I know who I'm talking to will at least understand my position.