What are you reading/last book you read

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Re: What are you reading/last book you read

Post by master_of_monsters »

for novels project legion but recently I've been binging on the Monsters Unleashed comics
your source of self destruction

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

LAMPREYS by Alan Spencer.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just started Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton. Pretty decent so far, as basic setup stuff goes. It has also brought to my attention that I really don't know much of anything about the Bone Wars, which is terrible. I've been a dinosaur fan all my life, but I've always paid much more attention to the animals themselves than to their discoverers. I'll have to correct that now.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

JAGzilla wrote:Just started Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton. Pretty decent so far, as basic setup stuff goes. It has also brought to my attention that I really don't know much of anything about the Bone Wars, which is terrible. I've been a dinosaur fan all my life, but I've always paid much more attention to the animals themselves than to their discoverers. I'll have to correct that now.
Would you recommend it? Im an avid dinosaur - and crichton - fan, but it seems like it might drag a bit.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote: Would you recommend it? Im an avid dinosaur - and crichton - fan, but it seems like it might drag a bit.
Can't really say yet. I'm only twenty-some pages in, and they've mostly just been introducing our main character, setting up the circumstances that send him out west, and establishing what the country was like in 1875 for readers that don't know. No dinosaur material to speak of yet, but I'm sure that's coming.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

JAGzilla wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote: Would you recommend it? Im an avid dinosaur - and crichton - fan, but it seems like it might drag a bit.
Can't really say yet. I'm only twenty-some pages in, and they've mostly just been introducing our main character, setting up the circumstances that send him out west, and establishing what the country was like in 1875 for readers that don't know. No dinosaur material to speak of yet, but I'm sure that's coming.
I looked it up on Amazon last night. All things considered, an Allosaurus skull would've been more fitting/appropriate for the cover than a T-Rex skull.
Last edited by Leviarex on Tue May 23, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ninelle
Ronin

Post by Ninelle »

My last book was about Steve Jobs, a real one, not electronic. Read quite fast, interesting person and not easy life...Love reading real books, especially biographies.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Ninelle wrote:My last book was about Steve Jobs, a real one, not electronic. Read quite fast, interesting person and not easy life...Love reading real books, especially biographies.
There is that special quality of reading real books that you don't quite have with ebooks.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Currently reading The Sea Fairies by L. Frank Baum.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Ivo-goji wrote:Finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
Without spoiling anything, was it any good? I can't help but see it as a needless cashgrab sequel, but I haven't read it yet. Will be doing that once I finish reading Deathly Hallows to my little brother in a few weeks.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

JAGzilla wrote:
Without spoiling anything, was it any good? I can't help but see it as a needless cashgrab sequel, but I haven't read it yet. Will be doing that once I finish reading Deathly Hallows to my little brother in a few weeks.
It's... it's okay. Not as good as the seven main books honestly, and it ignored a couple of established characters that would be present around that time, so it feels less of a continuation than it's trying to be. I'd say read it, but don't expect it to be the best HP book.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

CyberZilla wrote:
It's... it's okay. Not as good as the seven main books honestly, and it ignored a couple of established characters that would be present around that time, so it feels less of a continuation than it's trying to be. I'd say read it, but don't expect it to be the best HP book.
My expectations were low anyway, so that's no problem. :lol: Thanks.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

JAGzilla wrote:
It feels very much like a fanfic rather than the actual books. It also compresses a huge amount of stuff into a single storyline that would have been better told over several instalments. Its still decently enjoyable though and has some interesting ideas.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gotta catch up as I finished Invasive Species a while back. After that, the last two books I've read were

-Slavemakers by Joseph Wallace
-Amazonia by James Rollins

Currently Reading: The Jersey Devil by Hunter Shea

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I'm currently reading Vol 1 of the Turok comics released by Dark horse. It's good campy fun.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Last Read: The Jersey Devil by Hunter Shea

Currently Reading: The Montauk Monster by Hunter Shea

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

TyrantGojira wrote:I'm currently reading Vol 1 of the Turok comics released by Dark horse. It's good campy fun.
Nice! Turok is great stuff. Have you read any of Valiant's Dinosaur Hunter run?

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Komenja wrote:
TyrantGojira wrote:I'm currently reading Vol 1 of the Turok comics released by Dark horse. It's good campy fun.
Nice! Turok is great stuff. Have you read any of Valiant's Dinosaur Hunter run?
I don't think I've heard of that series. Got to check it out some time.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

G-Fan# 114.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

The new Thrawn novel is my next read. So far very interesting new take on the character.

Resized Image