What are you reading/last book you read

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: What are you reading/last book you read

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

After reading The Montauk Monster by Hunter Shea. I took a bit of a break from reading but since been doing it again now. Anyways though.

Last Read: The Montauk Monster by Hunter Shea

Currently Reading: Tortures of the Damned by Hunter Shea

At some point too I'm thinking of rereading Fatalis by Jeff Rovin and Moby Dick by Herman Melville since its been a while since I read those two not to mention are among my favorite novels.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Latest additions to my list:

The magazine I mentioned in the 'Latest Purchases Thread'
'Age Of Reptiles: Ancient Egyptians' (of course two thirds of it actually involves looking at pictures)
' The Land That Time Forgot'
Last edited by Leviarex on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Man I haven't read anything in awhile. I was reading Island 731 by Jeremy Robinson but I haven't touched it in a couple years. Only have a handful of chapters left but I haven't had the interest to finish it. I love a good book but I usually find reading to be a bit of a chore.

Added in 21 minutes 25 seconds:
No wait the last book I read, and finished, was Mayday by Chris Strange. I liked it pretty well to be honest.
WE WON THE WAR, BUT CAN WE SURVIVE THE NIGHT?

Nineteen years ago, the Maydays attacked. Five colossal monsters rose from the earth and laid waste to cities around the globe, pushing humanity to the brink of extinction. Now those monsters are our slaves, fighting each other for our amusement in brutal matches broadcast across the world, courtesy of the Volkov Media Corporation.

A MONSTER LIES DEAD.

Maydays have proven themselves indestructible. So when a Mayday is found dead with no cause and no witnesses, Volkov's staff detective Jay Escobar is tasked with uncovering the truth before it can cripple the company.

THE MAYDAYS WILL RISE AGAIN.

This is the case that will make Escobar's career. But the investigation soon spirals wildly out of control. As he races to solve the case before it's too late, Escobar discovers that the Mayday's death is only the first step in a plot that will see humanity plunged back into an unwinnable war.

And he'll be at ground zero when it begins.

MAYDAY is a genre-bending mash-up of hardboiled crime fiction and Japanese kaiju cinema. Sam Spade meets Godzilla in a gripping mystery of monstrous proportions.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Whatever I can smuggle into English class (currently Dune Messiah).
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Last Read: Tortures of the Damned by Hunter Shea

Next Reading: Apocalypse Cow by Michael Logan
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

The latest issue of 'Famous Monsters Of Filmland'. One of the interesting things about it is that the Mummy, Shin Godzilla, and George Romero articles are followed by related articles from much older issues.

Added in 1 hour 51 minutes 38 seconds:
Another addition to my list: The current issue of 'Prehistoric Times'.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Whatever I can smuggle into English class (currently Dune Messiah).
Lol - I would do the same for all my classes in High School :P Mostly the Godzilla 1984 adaption Manga.

OT: Model kit instructions!? Does that count? :o I kinda am currently reading something else - but ---
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

SpaceG92 wrote:OT: Model kit instructions!? Does that count? :o I kinda am currently reading something else - but ---
Considering how long it usually takes to read them (and fully grasp them), I'd say yes they do count.
goji89 wrote:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Star Wars: The New Rebellion (nearly all the way through my Batnam-era EU readthrough!)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote:OT: Model kit instructions!? Does that count? :o I kinda am currently reading something else - but ---
Considering how long it usually takes to read them (and fully grasp them), I'd say yes they do count.
It's one page :P

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Killing England by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. Non-fiction, about the American Revolution.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Latest additions to my list:

'The People That Time Forgot' (part of a book that contains all three stories of the Caspak trilogy)
Current issue of 'G-Fan'

Added in 20 days 23 hours 22 minutes 56 seconds:
Having been done with 'Age Of Reptiles: Ancient Egyptians' for a while now, I've added 'Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero' to my list.
Last edited by Leviarex on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Leviarex wrote: Having been done with 'Age Of Reptiles: Ancient Egyptians' for a while now, I've now added 'Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero' to my list.
Didn't know they made new Age of Reptiles comics. I have the Omnibus collection from a few years ago.

I've been passing back-and-forth between the Ishiro Honda biography and The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monsters Movies: The Lost Films, but mostly focusing on the latter as it's a quicker and easier to digest read. Both are good (the Honda biography is great actually) but The Lost Films suffers from some sloppy editing at places and LeMay's sentence structures take some getting used to. Still, the amount of new knowledge in this book is pretty great. Definitely a must-have for kaiju fans.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Death of a Salesman, which I’ll have to write about for a paper later X_X great read so far though
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Full Circle by Davis Bunn. Not my usual cup of tea, but not at all bad.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Finished reading The Count of Monte Cristo and started reading Moby Dick. I've been on a sea adventure kick lately, watching Treasure Island and such things, this will perhaps satisfy my thirst.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Current issue of 'Prehistoric Times'
At The Mountains Of Madness
Out Of Time's Abyss
Project Hyperion

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Leviarex wrote: At The Mountains Of Madness
Now THERE'S a good story.

Just finished Maus (both volumes) in 2 days. Probably going to run through my library books between Louis L'Amour stories.
goji89 wrote:

OpteraKaiju92
Ronin

Post by OpteraKaiju92 »

Dragon of Spring Dawning - Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman (3rd in the Dragon Lance trilogy)
Star Wars: Darth Bane: Rule of Two - Drew Karpyshyn (Legends)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone - J.K. Rowling
Fan-Fic on TK
Any other Godzilla material I come across
Bag of Bones - Stephen King
"What you habitually think largely determines what you will ultimately become" - Bruce Lee

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Ammianus Marcellinus's "The Later Roman Empire."

His view of the world he lived in is fascinating. He was ethnically Greek. But he grew up as and identified with Roman values far more. He was a soldier. He was a pagan. He was friends with the Emperor Julian who tried to revive the Roman Pantheon and ideals in a post-Constantine Empire. But he is astoundingly fair in his judgement of groups and individuals regardless of what he has in common with them.

I'm personally fascinated with his chapters beyond the Roman frontier. Particularly his accounts of the various peoples he encountered. Gauls, Alamanni, Franks, Sarmatians, etc.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.