What are you reading/last book you read

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Re: What are you reading/last book you read

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

Openers 2
This is the beginning of the end.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

THE QUEST OF FRANKENSTEIN by Frank Schildner
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

SoleMan wrote:Every since I got back from Japan, been blasting through various books about the land of the rising sun. I've read Memoirs of a Geisha, Tokyo Vice, and Shogun. (I actually read that while I was over there) Anyway, I'm currently on The Ninja by Eric Van Lustbader. It's a little slow to start, but it seems to be picking up. Has anyone else read this? Is it worth finishing?
The Ninja is one of the few books to defeat me, and I'm a martial arts nut. The extended flashbacks are importante for exposition reasons, but just kill the pace of the book. But then, around halfway through the book, you get the drug-assisted pedastry chapter (set in a Chinese-run brothel--no stereotypes there!!!) and I decided that the rest of the journey wasn't worth it. Lustbader would've been better off making a smutty romance about a guy raised in Japan having a torrid affair with one of his students, with him beating up her father's men being one of the subplots to break up the sex scenes.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

found a site full of HP Lovecraft's work. i have read a bunch of them, but i like The Alchemist the most. didn't really see the appeal behind The Call of Cthulhu
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

three wrote:found a site full of HP Lovecraft's work. i have read a bunch of them, but i like The Alchemist the most. didn't really see the appeal behind The Call of Cthulhu
I was doing a chronological Lovecraft review series for awhile, but stopped having the time. Here's my entry on The Alchemist:

http://www.theblood-shed.com/lovecraft- ... alchemist/
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

eabaker wrote:
three wrote:found a site full of HP Lovecraft's work. i have read a bunch of them, but i like The Alchemist the most. didn't really see the appeal behind The Call of Cthulhu
I was doing a chronological Lovecraft review series for awhile, but stopped having the time. Here's my entry on The Alchemist:

http://www.theblood-shed.com/lovecraft- ... alchemist/
i found the "surprise" ending surprising. lol this also happened to be the very first lovecraft tale i ever laid eyes on, and i enjoyed the imagery. black vines and hills and castles; i dig the sherlock comparison as well. (though, unlike sherlock, the mystery in lovecraft is the magic, and in any doyle tale it's the method).
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Well I just finshed reading the +1200 paged The Rise and Fall of the Third Riech By William Shirer.

It's a great book, but I think the next book will be a bit more positive. :lol:
And not as long.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Sapphire Overlord
Ronin

Post by Sapphire Overlord »

Finished the Nemisis Trilogy by Jermey Robinson last night.
1. Project Nemisis
2. Project Maigo
3. Project 731

Working on Alien: River of Pain by Christopher Golden

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Finished reading Jaws, now reading Jaws 2.
Kind of confusing since Jaws 2 is a sequel to the movie, not the book.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Reading The Mistaken Extinction: Dinosaur Evolution and the Origin of Birds.

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

H-Man wrote:
SoleMan wrote:Every since I got back from Japan, been blasting through various books about the land of the rising sun. I've read Memoirs of a Geisha, Tokyo Vice, and Shogun. (I actually read that while I was over there) Anyway, I'm currently on The Ninja by Eric Van Lustbader. It's a little slow to start, but it seems to be picking up. Has anyone else read this? Is it worth finishing?
The Ninja is one of the few books to defeat me, and I'm a martial arts nut. The extended flashbacks are importante for exposition reasons, but just kill the pace of the book. But then, around halfway through the book, you get the drug-assisted pedastry chapter (set in a Chinese-run brothel--no stereotypes there!!!) and I decided that the rest of the journey wasn't worth it. Lustbader would've been better off making a smutty romance about a guy raised in Japan having a torrid affair with one of his students, with him beating up her father's men being one of the subplots to break up the sex scenes.
Update: Yeah, I couldn't get more than 100 pages into Ninja. Then I went and read the plot on Wikipedia and...it sucked. I mean, I'm okay with silly, cheesy gimmicky plots like that...if they're a reasonable length. At 450 pages, (With tiny-ass print) they can keep their damned lame-ass Ninjas. There aren't even, like, real Ninjas in the book!

I did read a few books by Japanese authors, mostly non-fiction: Geisha, a life by Iwasaki Mineko (The real story that Memoirs of a geisha was based on, much better than the fiction) and Musashi Miyamoto's The Book of the Five Rings. I currenty have two more on the list: Michael Crichton's Red Sun, and a massive-ass biography of Hirohito. I'll start on that when I manage to finish the Rise and Fall of the third Reich (Which won't be any time soon)
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Reading: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

Just about finished with the last book in the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series. A very, VERY entertaining series overall.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Jomei wrote:Finally got around to finishing A Prayer for Owen Meany today. The climax was deeply moving, even as a non-religious person. Beautiful novel.

Need to finish Alice Munro's first story collection tomorrow.
Munro collection done. Almost done with a re-read of Yiyun Li's Gold Boy Emerald Girl as well. Finished the new Murakami translation Wind/Pinball, and I'm just onto part 2 of Lolita. (Will be re-reading The Great Gatsby with a student before long! Always a joy.)
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Lunescent
Ronin

Post by Lunescent »

I am currently reading about three books, the main one being Merlin: The Lost Years by T. A. Barron. I have been enjoying it so far. I still have lots on my to-read list though.

~Lunescent~
~The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results~

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Cell by Stephen King. Pretty interesting so far.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Lunescent wrote:I am currently reading about three books, the main one being Merlin: The Lost Years by T. A. Barron. I have been enjoying it so far. I still have lots on my to-read list though.

~Lunescent~
I'm probably going to re-read another book in that Merlin series sometime soon. I considered starting it the other day, but passed it over in favor of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight. I read it once as a kid, didn't care for it, and had long since forgotten everything about it. I'm liking it a lot more this time around, though, as of about halfway through. May have to look into finally reading the rest of the series.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

*SPOILER ALERT*

'Star Wars: Aftermath' by Chuck Wendig

A decent read, but I don't particularly care for Mr. Wendig's writing style. Now, what was taken away, & can be applied to STAR WARS EPISODE VII:

The Empire did not fall by chance, it fell by DESIGN. A high-placed intel source in the Empire, known to Mon Mothma, Ackbar, Madine, & a few others, going by 'The Operator', fed reliable info to the Rebel Alliance, which was instrumental in the Empire's downfall. 'The Operator' was a ranking Fleet Admiral( the future Supreme Commander Snoke, perhaps? ), who had become disenchanted with what the Empire had become. 'a crude, inelegant machine', 'inefficient' - his words, from the novel. He felt that it was time that the Empire be broken down, split up, & reformed, as 'something new'. As this is from a NEW book, this is canon, in the SW Universe. Interesting, eh?

*SPOILER ALERT*

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

No. No it's not.

I've been blasting through some autobiographies of gangsters. I read Wiseguy, the book on which Goodfellas was based last weekend, and I'm just finishing up Donnie Brasco.
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Man of Steel
Gotengo Officer

Post by Man of Steel »

Now reading: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
Last read: Star Wars Trilogy: The Empire Strikes Back by Ryder Windham
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe
that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every
moment - because they'll never come again."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: Generations)

:godzilla: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla:
GO AND FOLLOW MY TUMBLR
http://trexgoesroar.tumblr.com