What are you reading/last book you read

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: What are you reading/last book you read

Post by Tohosaurus »

Before beginning the Dark Tower series, what King books from his main universe would you recommend?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

A slew of library books are currently following me into my classes, so I'm really reading all of these at once.

- Don Juan
- The Animal Dealers
- The Water Mirror
- The Earthing Cycle

If I could focus on reading just one I'd be dangerous.

(Why must I continually find typos?)
Last edited by Dawsbfiremind on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Last month I read a book called Thor by Wayne Smith for those of you who love werewolf movies you'll know that this is the book that the werewolf movie Bad Moon is based on. It's a pretty good read in fact I read it in less than a week and surprisingly the book is a lot like the movie with only a few major differences such as it being a whole family instead of a single mother and her son.

Some point in time this year I plan to re-read Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park. I also want to read The howling trilogy this year as well.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Thanks to my library, I finally got a chance to check out New Superman, volumes 1 and 2, the title I was most interested in from DC Rebirth. As it turns out, the characters are great, the world-building is very interesting, and I thought it was fantastic. I'm just bummed that my library doesn't have volume 3 yet!
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I've started reading the Mysterious Girlfriend X manga. I'm liking it so far, and now I'm all the more interested in getting the anime as well.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I've been reading a bunch of horror novels as of late as my bedtime reading. I started off with Slime Beast by Guy N. Smith, a fun, dumb monster story. Then Gila! by Les Simons again a fun, gory monster story. Right now I nearly finished Toy Cemetery by William W. Johnstone, fun goofy horror story has so much crammed in it, a haunted house, satanic conspiracy, inbreed mutants, living toys.

TheRedKing1979
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRedKing1979 »

Reading The Stand (again)
WWE Vol 2 Lunatic Fringe
NASB Bible
Member formerly known as wataru.
Proud American. Southerner. Centrist.
Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) is easily the best Godzilla movie, ever.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

TheRedKing1979 wrote:Reading The Stand (again)
WWE Vol 2 Lunatic Fringe
NASB Bible
Any particular reason you favor the NASB? I am always interested to hear why people are with their chosen translations...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

TheRedKing1979
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRedKing1979 »

Zarm wrote:
TheRedKing1979 wrote:Reading The Stand (again)
WWE Vol 2 Lunatic Fringe
NASB Bible
Any particular reason you favor the NASB? I am always interested to hear why people are with their chosen translations...
I find it easier for every day reading, though I need to thumb through a copy of the CEB.

ESV and NWT read like bad poetry
Member formerly known as wataru.
Proud American. Southerner. Centrist.
Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) is easily the best Godzilla movie, ever.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Zarm wrote:Thanks to my library, I finally got a chance to check out New Superman, volumes 1 and 2, the title I was most interested in from DC Rebirth. As it turns out, the characters are great, the world-building is very interesting, and I thought it was fantastic. I'm just bummed that my library doesn't have volume 3 yet!
Well they aren't being stingy as Vol 3 isn't out yet at all. :mrgreen:

Check into Captain Atom for the new universe. It's a less typical angle for a hero: a well-meaning individual that isn't seen as a hero by society or other hero, and it's only gotten a half-dozen books so far (and I don't think they've clarified that any plans exist to make more).
고질라

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Tohosaurus wrote: Well they aren't being stingy as Vol 3 isn't out yet at all. :mrgreen:
Ah! Well that's good to know. I couldn't find a decent wiki page for the series, and Amazon made it look as if it was already out.
Tohosaurus wrote:Check into Captain Atom for the new universe. It's a less typical angle for a hero: a well-meaning individual that isn't seen as a hero by society or other hero, and it's only gotten a half-dozen books so far (and I don't think they've clarified that any plans exist to make more).
Thanks! I will check it out and see if they've got it. I am always on the lookout for a good new comic...

Maranatha!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Zarm wrote: Ah! Well that's good to know. I couldn't find a decent wiki page for the series, and Amazon made it look as if it was already out.
Tohosaurus wrote:Check into Captain Atom for the new universe. It's a less typical angle for a hero: a well-meaning individual that isn't seen as a hero by society or other hero, and it's only gotten a half-dozen books so far (and I don't think they've clarified that any plans exist to make more).
Thanks! I will check it out and see if they've got it. I am always on the lookout for a good new comic...
Volume 3 will be out in June, so mark your calendar!

Have you checked into Dark Nights: Metal or Doomsday Clock?
고질라

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Tohosaurus wrote:Have you checked into Dark Nights: Metal or Doomsday Clock?
I have not. I take it you recommend them?

Maranatha!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Zarm wrote:
They're both potentially pivotal in how the DC universe will continue and how we think of their universe. Doomsday Clock is a connecting of Watchmen and the main DC multiverse. Dark Nights: Metal is a whole new side (literally) to the DC universe, and at the moment I am liking it even more than Doomsday Clock. Oddly my favorite series at the moment is Gotham City Garage though.
고질라

GodEmperorGabara
The Modfather
The Modfather

Post by GodEmperorGabara »

Tohosaurus wrote:
Zarm wrote:
They're both potentially pivotal in how the DC universe will continue and how we think of their universe. Doomsday Clock is a connecting of Watchmen and the main DC multiverse. Dark Nights: Metal is a whole new side (literally) to the DC universe, and at the moment I am liking it even more than Doomsday Clock. Oddly my favorite series at the moment is Gotham City Garage though.
I'll agree with Metal. Metal flips between balls to the wall fun or just pants on head stupid. Really hoping they keep most of the Dark Knights like Red Death. Doomsday Clock is bleh, but I expected it to be. Got a few good reaction images though.
I hate you eternally now Derzerb, I hope you know this.
<3

Made a Discord server, feel free to message me if you're interested.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Read The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom (assuming that was the one you meant?); I thought it was great. Sad, but great.

In particular, I loathe Eiling (which is pretty much par for the course for the character of Wade Eiling, I think)- but they did an admirable job of making him a manipulative scumbag but not an outright villain; always just redeeming enough features or plausible enough justification for his actions to keep him on the theoretical side of good, despite questionable methods employed on its behalf.

Only issue- the repeated threats to put him in prison for the deaths from his outburst. His physiology wasn't under his control, he was transported to his location by other agents, and the rays burst out because of GL's favor. I could see arresting the Justice League who brought him there and lost control, the military that ordered him there... but it'd be some whacky sense of justice that would hold him accountable.

But hey- it was just a macguffin. The story was great (albeit the very central depiction of DC's sliding timescale was jarring; no superheroes in the 90s?! Bizarre!), and the characters, including the villain, very strong. I enjoyed it!
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Zarm wrote: Read The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom (assuming that was the one you meant?); I thought it was great. Sad, but great.

In particular, I loathe Eiling (which is pretty much par for the course for the character of Wade Eiling, I think)- but they did an admirable job of making him a manipulative scumbag but not an outright villain; always just redeeming enough features or plausible enough justification for his actions to keep him on the theoretical side of good, despite questionable methods employed on its behalf.

Only issue- the repeated threats to put him in prison for the deaths from his outburst. His physiology wasn't under his control, he was transported to his location by other agents, and the rays burst out because of GL's favor. I could see arresting the Justice League who brought him there and lost control, the military that ordered him there... but it'd be some whacky sense of justice that would hold him accountable.

But hey- it was just a macguffin. The story was great (albeit the very central depiction of DC's sliding timescale was jarring; no superheroes in the 90s?! Bizarre!), and the characters, including the villain, very strong. I enjoyed it!
Glad you liked it overall! The current/new DC universe has some decent tales.

I think what makes the Captain Atom arc better than most series is that it is probably how we'd perceive a lot of heroes if they had superpowers on that level.
고질라

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

My current list (on top of 'At The Mountains Of Madness' and 'Project Hyperion'):

Acrocanthosaurus Inside and Out
Tarzan Of The Apes
Latest 'G-Fan' issue

Added in 10 days 5 hours 18 minutes 31 seconds:
Having finally finished (and enjoyed) 'At The Mountains Of Madness', I've now added Don Glut's 'Classic Movie Monsters' to my list.
Last edited by Leviarex on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I' m currently re-reading Jurassic Park. It's been 25ish years since I've last read it so it's long over due for a re-read. I should be done with it in a day or two. After JP I'll go on to The Howling.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Currently reading Fahrenheit 451, so far pretty mind-blowing.

Edit: Huh, so a new film about it is being released this year!
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos