The Pet Thread Redux (Reptiles/Mammals/Fish Anything!)

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Pet Thread Redux (Reptiles/Mammals/Fish Anything!)

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Eyup. Laws here are basically "IF IT BREATHES, IT IS A THOT." The friggin zoo is only allowed to have 2 (!!!) non venomous snakes in their possession.THIS>https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uplo ... AR-71P.pdf is a comprehensive list of illegal wildlife. Make sure you read EVERY SPECIES apart from the birds to let the insanity sink in.

My family member was living elsewhere a long time ago when he kept the Lungfish and such, and he says that the climate here is much more conducive for such a large tropical fish.

I knew a dude who apparently pulled a Bichir out of a fishing lake out here. He thought it was a weird snakehead (We have snakeheads up here that were introduced in the 1900's by chinese field workers) until he was reading up on aquarium fish and stumbled across the Senegal Bichir. He also saw what he thought was a gar in that lake, and seeing as there were reports of a "crocodile" there for a while I'd say there may be truth to that. I wouldn't be surprised if someone smuggled something in like that, as both fish can breathe air and every now and then animal control gets called out for an Opossum or Boa constrictor. If Bichirs are here, I don't think its a breeding pop tho, and if it is their eggs are probably eaten voraciously by Tilapia. Same with gar.

I already have a Fire Eel! He lives in one of my troughs and performs population control on the tadpoles and livebearers, like the ID's do in my other one (Though he won't grow as large as them). He's around 15 inches long RN and lives in the substrate behind my lily pot. They prefer livefood/soft organic meats to pellets ja?

My Pet Store usually has juvenile Silvers for good prices. The Jardini is a close relative of the Asian Dragonfish and thus resembles it greatly: Image(This is a Jardini, obviously not mine). I HAVE seen a Jardini on second thought-not for sale. Since Asian Dragonfish are illegal for sale in the US apparently, Asian restaurants usually use Jardini's in their stead to bring good luck like the Dragonfish is supposed to.
:lol: :lol: , that is insane, is there a specific reason Hawaii is so strict???

I'd say Hawaii would be perfect for reptiles and fish alike due to the constantly good weather, so it's a bit odd to see them be so strict. Fire Eels are so cool to just watch swim around, you should post a pic of him! 15 inches is a pretty nice size, and the fact that he has a solid food source with the Tadpoles means he's in a pretty good spot! I believe they do prefer live food/organic over pellets.

Definitely jump on that Silver Arow once you have everything set up though! I'd love to see some pics of your tanks!
Basically, at one point, Hawaii, like every other pacific island, had a unique ecosystem consisting of native birds, insects, snails, and a native bat. The first Hawaiians came and introduced pigs, rats, and dogs to the islands and hunted many of the larger birds to extinction. Whaling ships stopped by hawaii to replace their water, and the water they dumped usually had Mosquito larvae that carried avian malaria. Loads of the native birds were wiped and they had to retreat to above the threshold for mosquitos. More invasives, sucha s the Mongoose and the Cane toad, appeared and began eating the seabirds. The logical conclusion for the government was of course to ban every creature NOT in the islands after letting almost every possible horrible invasive species in. Thus, we have a state where housecats that kill birds are fine, but keeping a herbivorous lizard or a hamster isn't. I'm not even sure WHY bichirs are illegal, the only native freshwater fish have been almost completely wiped by Tilapia and the ones that are left live high in fast moving streams which Bichirs hate. Besides, we already have snakeheads.

He usually doesn't swim around, The only indication I get he's still in there is a long yellow nose poking out of the mud or the odd tadpole suddenly being pulled beneath the mud. He's like an aquatic graboid. Pepe and Mrs. Pepe breed really often due to the warm winter here so there are loads of tadpoles all the time.

I don't really have tanks, I have 200-220 gallon ag troughs with plants and fish in them. They work fine but they aren't aquariums.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'm still trying to decide on a name for my Tegu lol, he's too young so I can't see him with a beast name yet.

As of this moment I'm thinking,

Mušḫuššu: (A mythological hybrid, a scaly dragon with hind legs resembling the talons of an eagle, feline fore legs, a long neck and tail, with a snake-like tongue)

Annunaki (Anu): (Deities thought to possess extraordinary powers and were often envisioned as being of tremendous physical size)

Fafnir: (A Dwarf turned greedy Dragon, after killing his father and taking all the cursed treasure for himself)

Leviathan: (A sea monster or a dragon who lives over the Sources of the Deep and will be served up to the righteous at the end of time.)

Behemoth: ( The primal unconquerable monster of the land, as Leviathan is the primal monster of the waters of the sea, mythical creatures with enormous strength, which humans could not hope to control. However both are reduced to the status of divine pets)

Gojira: (I know I said Godzilla is a typical reptile name, but Gojira? Bit more unique wouldn't you say?)

Caesar
King
Alpha

Added in 10 hours 3 minutes 58 seconds:
Any other reptilian gods/dragon/creature deities I'm missing?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 02, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Added in 10 hours 3 minutes 58 seconds:
Any other reptilian gods/dragon/creature deities I'm missing?
Manda
Dagon
Raijin (Dagon's Japanese name,but also is the name of a dragon god of sea and storms)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So I just noticed this pattern on my Tegu looks a lot like Pennywise lol

Also, decided to heavily mess with this pic since it gave me serious Rhedosaurus vibes.

Added in 4 days 2 hours 28 minutes 23 seconds:
Man, It's been so fascinating seeing this little guy evolve before my eyes lol. I believe I bought him at around 2 weeks old, give or take a week, on July 16th, and it's now Aug 27th. So about 2 months have passed and his green is completely gone!

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:09 am, edited 7 times in total.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

I'm scared someone will poison my dogs...
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Update on my scaly child, he's like a living Pokemon, going through an evolution before my very eyes... still haven't picked a name for him, I figured he'd just grow into one lol:

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 02, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I'm thinking about getting a cat but I don't care what breed it is as long as its black with yellow eyes
your source of self destruction

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

My new little brother Bernie.

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Did I tell anyone about my dead pet spider?

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

My new 4.5 month old Domestic Shorthair.

My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

I bring your my cat, Cutie. Say hi.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Had to re-find this thread lol, you all have super cute animals.

I introduce you guys to my newest velociraptor, aka my Red Tegu, i don't have a name for either of my Tegus yet but it's only because i want names that really stick. She's about the same age as my original Tegu from July, but because (i assume) she didn't go into hibernation, she continued to grow for an additional 4 months.

I'm really starting to feel like i own a pack of Velociraptors lol :g2k:

Added in 4 months 24 days 2 hours 38 minutes 3 seconds:
So adding to my ever growing Micro-Kaiju Reptile family, i introduce my Crested Gecko. He (don't know his gender yet so i'm going with him as default), is a smol baby and is so precious. I've forgotten what small reptiles are like since i'm so used to considering my 1.5 foot juvenile Tegus to be "small".

Some names i've been tossing around are Prowl, Satan and Nightcrawler, but since i've only had him about 2 days now, i still need to get a feel for his personality. So far he's super energetic (when takin out of his enclosure), curious, headstrong and very hoppy.

Also, i find it odd that Geckos haven't been used as giant monsters in any big time flicks/ comic stories yet.. i may have to look into making my own.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 02, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

Here's my Senegal parrot buddy, Coco. He had several owners before us. My sister adopted him first, but as he took a particular liking to me, she asked if I wanted to have him. He's been with me since 2015 and in our family since 2010. He'll be 13 years old in December. He's a cuddly sweetheart.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ He does look cuddly. Like a plushie, almost. I want to hug him. :lol: I love the colors, too; I hadn't seen a Senegal parrot before, and that color pattern is really striking.

Same with the Red Tegu, Jnavs. That thing is amazing, almost like reptilian Indian corn or Native American beadwork. It's crazy how intricate that is.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Beast Blood wrote:Here's my Senegal parrot buddy, Coco. He had several owners before us. My sister adopted him first, but as he took a particular liking to me, she asked if I wanted to have him. He's been with me since 2015 and in our family since 2010. He'll be 13 years old in December. He's a cuddly sweetheart.
What a beautiful Birb!!

Added in 15 minutes 45 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote:^ He does look cuddly. Like a plushie, almost. I want to hug him. :lol: I love the colors, too; I hadn't seen a Senegal parrot before, and that color pattern is really striking.

Same with the Red Tegu, Jnavs. That thing is amazing, almost like reptilian Indian corn or Native American beadwork. It's crazy how intricate that is.
Those are perfect comparisons, i couldn't put my finger on what she reminded me of. But you hit the nail on the head.

here's a more recent side profile of her, the red and whites are really getting vibrant

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I have a dog and 11 chickens. I've always wanted one of those giant monitor lizards tho.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I have a dog and 11 chickens. I've always wanted one of those giant monitor lizards tho.
Wow 11 chickens, i've only ever seen that many chickens at a farm Upstate once. Are they pretty smart?

If a giant monitor gets loose near 11 chickens... he may have some feathers stuck to his teeth afterward :shock:

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

_JNavs_ wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:I have a dog and 11 chickens. I've always wanted one of those giant monitor lizards tho.
Wow 11 chickens, i've only ever seen that many chickens at a farm Upstate once. Are they pretty smart?
They are smarter than I thought they would be in some ways, but dumb in other ways. You can see they have a social pecking (lol) order and have different calls that mean different things. You can see our rooster communicate with our hens using a variety of calls and they react accordingly. I’ve even figured out what some of them mean.

They are very social and love people. If they see or hear a person they will come running over for food and attention. Even our rooster is super gentle. They each have their own personalities and behavioral quirks. They even get jealous of one another and other animals. If someone else is getting a treat or pets? They better get some as well. One time they got super jealous at our neighbors horse. She rode over on it to chat with us and my father started feeding it grass, and the chickens saw that the horse was getting grass and they weren’t, they weren’t happy about that.

We even have one chicken that is so obsessed with people that when any other chicken receives any sort of attention she will start jumping on the person in order to get their attention.

They’re dumb in the sense that they really don’t do anything logically. We have enough nesting boxes for all of them, but they insist on laying their eggs in the same box at the same time. We also have one that will only sleep under a specific nesting box. And sometimes knocks it off the wall when she wakes up.

Overall they’re a lot of fun and give us more eggs than we can use.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
They are smarter than I thought they would be in some ways, but dumb in other ways. You can see they have a social pecking (lol) order and have different calls that mean different things. You can see our rooster communicate with our hens using a variety of calls and they react accordingly. I’ve even figured out what some of them mean.

They are very social and love people. If they see or hear a person they will come running over for food and attention. Even our rooster is super gentle. They each have their own personalities and behavioral quirks. They even get jealous of one another and other animals. If someone else is getting a treat or pets? They better get some as well. One time they got super jealous at our neighbors horse. She rode over on it to chat with us and my father started feeding it grass, and the chickens saw that the horse was getting grass and they weren’t, they weren’t happy about that.

We even have one chicken that is so obsessed with people that when any other chicken receives any sort of attention she will start jumping on the person in order to get their attention.

They’re dumb in the sense that they really don’t do anything logically. We have enough nesting boxes for all of them, but they insist on laying their eggs in the same box at the same time. We also have one that will only sleep under a specific nesting box. And sometimes knocks it off the wall when she wakes up.

Overall they’re a lot of fun and give us more eggs than we can use.
That's adorable! Reminds me of my tiny dogs that get jealous of each other when one gets treats/pets/attention. Does the rooster cockadoodledooo every morning and if so, is there a specific time he wakes everyone up?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

_JNavs_ wrote: That's adorable! Reminds me of my tiny dogs that get jealous of each other when one gets treats/pets/attention. Does the rooster cockadoodledooo every morning and if so, is there a specific time he wakes everyone up?
That's a misconception, roosters don't just crow in the morning. They do it throughout the day. It basically means they're saying "I'm in charge" and they do it instinctively. So you can often hear my rooster crowing a couple times an hour. Mostly at another rooster that lives a couple miles away (yes, the noise travels that far). The chickens wake up pretty early, when I leave for work at like 6 am they're already up and yelling at me to let them outside of the coop.

If you ever get chickens and want them to be social and like people like mine do, you have to hand raise them. Get them as chicks and handle them a lot.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.