Who was the last Japanese Emperor to be killed or otherwise forcefully deposed?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
johnboy3434
Samurai

Who was the last Japanese Emperor to be killed or otherwise forcefully deposed?

Postby johnboy3434 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:28 am

Question is pretty simple, but I'm having a hard time finding an answer online: Who was the last Japanese Emperor/Empress whose reign was ended either by violence or by threat of violence, as opposed to a natural/accidental death or a peaceful abdication?

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Re: Who was the last Japanese Emperor to be killed or otherwise forcefully deposed?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:31 pm

I mean the emperor from WW2 counts right?
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

johnboy3434
Samurai

Re: Who was the last Japanese Emperor to be killed or otherwise forcefully deposed?

Postby johnboy3434 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:49 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I mean the emperor from WW2 counts right?

Considering he remained Emperor throughout the surrender and continued to hold his post for another 44 years before dying of cancer and passing the mantle to his son... not really, no.
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:54 pm

Coming from you of all people this has to be a joke
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:59 pm

G2000 wrote:

I interpreted the force of violence as the presumption that the United States would either invade mainland Japan, or continue the bombings. Forcefully desposed was also up to my interpretation.

Does the OP basically mean, "Who was the last emperor to have their castle overthrown or assassinated"?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:13 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
G2000 wrote:

I interpreted the force of violence as the presumption that the United States would either invade mainland Japan, or continue the bombings. Forcefully desposed was also up to my interpretation.

Does the OP basically mean, "Who was the last emperor to have their castle overthrown or assassinated"?

I assume that “deposed” essentially means kicked off the throne by force in this sense
His powers were truncated and he had to give up claims of divinity but Emperor Showa retained the title and the throne
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:24 pm

G2000 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
G2000 wrote:

I assume that “deposed” essentially means kicked off the throne by force in this sense
His powers were truncated and he had to give up claims of divinity but Emperor Showa retained the title and the throne

Okay then under that definition I agree with you. Sorry, I just had a different interpretation of what the OP wanted.

johnboy3434
Samurai

Postby johnboy3434 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:25 pm

To clarify: Yes, I mean that said emperor is no longer emperor by the time the situation has resolved itself. He may or may not be dead, but it's absolutely certain that someone else is getting to sit in his chair and wear his coveted "I'm the Emperor" baseball cap (the rarely mention Fourth Treasure).
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:25 pm

I thought Emperor Showa took power in 1954, Emperor Heisei in 1984 and Emperor Millennium in 1999??? /sarcasm
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:32 pm

MaxRebo320 wrote:I thought Emperor Showa took power in 1954, Emperor Heisei in 1984 and Emperor Millennium in 1999??? /sarcasm

Im dying :mrgreen:

Anyways, doing some research, seems like at least up until Emperor Komei, the line is consistent. I`m actually pretty sure the Japanese throne line is one of the longest running.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:39 pm

Yes, I think it might in fact be the longest continuous monarchical line total. It goes back so far that the first several names are mythological, with no historical corroboration. So (and I'm no expert so could be wrong) I think the answer is that NO Japanese Emperor has ever been killed or forcefully deposed. It's one familial line stretching back into the mists of time.

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:24 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:Yes, I think it might in fact be the longest continuous monarchical line total. It goes back so far that the first several names are mythological, with no historical corroboration. So (and I'm no expert so could be wrong) I think the answer is that NO Japanese Emperor has ever been killed or forcefully deposed. It's one familial line stretching back into the mists of time.

There’s definitely periods where Shoguns and individual war lords definitely had more persuasive power, but yeah looking more into it this seems to be the case. Case and point, Nobunga was not an emperor, just a big war lord that basically put everyone else in place. An emperor concurrently ruled with him.

I could ask one of my coteachers who teachers Japanese history tomorrow. Question might be difficult to explain in Japanese tho.

Rhedosaurus
G-Grasper

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:36 am

The answer is Emperor Go Daigo. He successful overthrew one of the regents (he wasn't related to the Minamoto, so he couldn't be called shogun), but 20 years later, he got overthrown.

johnboy3434
Samurai

Postby johnboy3434 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:The answer is Emperor Go Daigo. He successful overthrew one of the regents (he wasn't related to the Minamoto, so he couldn't be called shogun), but 20 years later, he got overthrown.

Yeah, this is what my surface-level study has indicated as well. If you consider, contrary to the Japanese government's official position, that the current position of Emperor descends from the Northern Court of the Nanboku-chō period rather than the Southern Court (which, in spite of the legitimacy that posterity gave to it, was completely subsumed by its Northern counterpart when the two-court period ended), then the last violent change of imperial position came in 1352 when the briefly-dormant Northern Court reasserted itself permanently and Kōgon II took the northern throne.

On paper then, Japan's government has had peaceful exchanges of power for an astounding 667 years, with Naruhito being the 29th consecutive emperor in that time (the average reign length of the first 28 being ~23.8 years). For reference, the English monarch has only had peaceful transitions of power since 1689, less than half as long. Of course, in reality, there was plenty of political violence and seizure of power in that span of time. Said violence just never rose all the way to the top, is all.
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.

MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby MandaSaurus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Howabout we look forward to the future, to the Reiwa Era. Emperor Naruhito is the first Japanese Emperor born AFTER WWII. Part of his education was abroad, at Oxford, which makes him well-rounded and able to think the way non-Japanese think. With the US encouraging Japan to enlarge their navy, and take their place on the world stage once again, it is a time of change for Japan, and I think Naruhito is the right man to lead Japan into this new era...

Return to “General Discussion”