Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

I personally feel that, while the Horror Genre did peak in the late 70s-early 80s, now we're getting the best Horror has been since back then

The VVitch, Hereditary, Midsommar, The Lighthouse, Get Out and Us (imo not at the same level as the aforementioned, but still great) etc
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Manuelito Canelito wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:26 pm I personally feel that, while the Horror Genre did peak in the late 70s-early 80s, now we're getting the best Horror has been since back then

The VVitch, Hereditary, Midsommar, The Lighthouse, Get Out and Us (imo not at the same level as the aforementioned, but still great) etc
Yep 100%. Even those that are not super successful, like Vivarium, are still good!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

One pertaining to 'Batman: The Animated Series':

I like Batgirl's design from season four more than the one from the previous seasons.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Leviarex wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:20 pm One pertaining to 'Batman: The Animated Series':

I like Batgirl's design from season four more than the one from the previous seasons.
I too think the black and yellow color scheme was superior. I was generally okay with the style switch though, there were only a few key casualties for me.

About the Matrix Trilogy
- While I 100% agree that the original is best left as a stand-alone, complete story on its own....I always felt that Revolutions was the better sequel than Reloaded. Growing up, I thought that was how EVERYONE felt....and it wasn't until much later I found out that it seemed like a lot of people really liked Reloaded and hated Revolutions, or at least preferred the 2nd film to the 3rd film.

I always thought the 2nd film went WAY off-track with the narrative, and that the 3rd film re-centered the focus in a good way. Plus, Neo vs Smith accompanied by "Neodammerung" is one of my all-time favorite one-on-one fights in a film EVER.

About The Dark Knight Trilogy
I think ultimately, Rises was quite a messy letdown. Has the typical flashes of brilliance all Nolan films have. These days, I only own Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, and haven't owned or bothered with Rises in years.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:39 am About The Dark Knight Trilogy
I think ultimately, Rises was quite a messy letdown. Has the typical flashes of brilliance all Nolan films have. These days, I only own Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, and haven't owned or bothered with Rises in years.
I saw TDKR opening night as part of a special event where it screened following Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.
I was way more impressed than I thought I would be.
So when I got the blu ray and was bored to tears, I was like "what the hell?"
Recently with quarantine time I've marathoned the trilogy again and have come to the conclusion TDKR only clicks if you're fresh off the other two films. Not saying it's amazing or anything but it works infinitely better as a finale to the trilogy than as a film by itself.

My own unpopular opinion is that Batman V Superman is actually a fine (not fine like Leah Remini ranting about Scientology but fine as in "Ok, fine, I guess I'll be the DD tonight because Jim bailed) movie, and that Ben Affleck is the best Batman we've had in live action. (It helps if you're able to laugh at all the brutal murder scenes, btw)
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:39 am About the Matrix Trilogy
- While I 100% agree that the original is best left as a stand-alone, complete story on its own....I always felt that Revolutions was the better sequel than Reloaded. Growing up, I thought that was how EVERYONE felt....and it wasn't until much later I found out that it seemed like a lot of people really liked Reloaded and hated Revolutions, or at least preferred the 2nd film to the 3rd film.

I always thought the 2nd film went WAY off-track with the narrative, and that the 3rd film re-centered the focus in a good way. Plus, Neo vs Smith accompanied by "Neodammerung" is one of my all-time favorite one-on-one fights in a film EVER.
I hate both of the Matrix sequels BUT I agree that Revolutions is alot more tolerable than Reloaded. If nothing else, Revolutions had some good action, like the Neo vs. Smith fight. Reloaded was tedious and full of obnoxious dialogue, there isn't a single thing about it that I like. I, too, have noticed that Revolutions gets alot more hate; while I don't bother to argue, because I still don't like it, I don't understand why people think Reloaded is the "good" (read: less bad) one.
Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:39 amAbout The Dark Knight Trilogy
I'm inclined to agree. I used to consider it better than Batman Begins but I've changed my mind over the years. I think both films are heavily flawed, with The Dark Knight being by far the best of the trilogy (which is why I've watched it far more than the other two combined). Batman Begins, however, has a much clearer and more engaging narrative despite a somewhat awkward first act. TDKR is overlong and overcomplicated and some of the plot twists don't make a ton of sense. I do think it has the best action of the trilogy but otherwise I enjoy it the least. However, I will say that one criticism of TDKR that annoys me is "I can't understand a word Bane says". I think people have really exaggerated how muffled his speech is. There was maybe one or two lines I struggled with, the rest were crystal clear to me.

Added in 15 minutes 48 seconds:
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:20 am My own unpopular opinion is that Batman V Superman is actually a fine (not fine like Leah Remini ranting about Scientology but fine as in "Ok, fine, I guess I'll be the DD tonight because Jim bailed) movie, and that Ben Affleck is the best Batman we've had in live action. (It helps if you're able to laugh at all the brutal murder scenes, btw)
Agreed. I don't understand why this movie is so hated. It's no masterpiece but, among the DCEU films, it's miles better than everything except Wonder Woman and Aquaman. I think Zack Snyder is the subject of excessive hatred by a lot of filmgoers for reasons I don't understand. Another (slightly less) unpopular opinion: I love his Watchmen adaptation, especially the Director's Cut. I think he is most often criticized for his films being "too dark"* but, hey, I like dark stuff, and the tone of BvS also poses a nice contrast to the MCU films, which have largely become too light and jokey for my taste recently. Agree about Affleck, too, I think he's the best Batman since Michael Keaton, and arguably a tad better. As much as I enjoy Christian Bale as an actor, I think his performance as Batman is one of his weakest roles. That's probably an unpopular opinion, too.

*To elaborate on the "too dark" thing, I've noticed a pushback against dark stuff in media in general lately. Any blockbuster that comes out which isn't campy and full of unnecessary humor (a la MCU and new Star Wars) gets put down as "too edgy" and "too cynical". I don't have a problem with lighthearted action films but what the hell is wrong with some of them being dark and cynical? People seem to have swung around, too, I remember ten years ago, if a superhero/sci-fi movie was too light and comical, it would enjoy nothing but ridicule from critics and most audiences. Now, it's practically the opposite. That's been my experience, at least.

Okay, one more: I despised Wonder Woman 84 so much that I turned it off halfway through. I'm so glad I didn't go in theaters because I would sorely be missing my $9. It was so cringeworthy that I could barely stand to look at the screen. All of the acting and dialogue was atrocious, especially Pedro Pascal (who I love in everything else) and Kristen Wiig. Given that I like most of the cast, I'm gonna blame the director for this one. Yet while I consider WW84 the worst comic book movie since Suicide Squad, it seems to be at least modestly popular. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a 60% critic score and a 75% audience score. Not great but not bad either. Compare that to BvS which has a 28% critic score and a 62% audience score. Now, I can't prove it, but I'd wager the fact that WW84 is light (and annoyingly hokey) in tone, while BvS is dark has alot to do with that. Regardless, WW84 was so bad it makes Suicide Squad look good and that's saying a hell of a lot.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

For my money, Man of Steel is definitely the best DCEU movie. For me, I even like it much more than the first Wonder Woman. Every time I re-watch it or think about it more...it just has so many pieces and elements that I think are SO well done. I know the scale and scope, the grandiose nature of darn near every scene might not work for some...but I kind of eat it up.

I don't hate BvS the way some do either. It has problems, but it also does a lot really well...moreso in the longer cut. There are some rare movies that feel shorter and faster paced by adding half an hour into their structure....but BvS is one of them. Some casting I didn't care for, and it is a bit over-stuffed, flaws are there...but it did a LOT right.

I have not cared for almost anything in the DCEU since BvS. I'd love to see the Ayer Cut of Suicide Squad, and I am eagerly awaiting the Snyder cut of JL....but Aquaman, Shazam, Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman 84 just did NOTHING for me.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:57 pm
Another (slightly less) unpopular opinion: I love his Watchmen adaptation, especially the Director's Cut.
Watchmen is an interesting film. I feel like the point of the book kinda went over Zack's head, and the reasoning behind adapting it in and of itself missed the point of the story. But, with how slavishly he adapted the pages, and the actors he assembled to fill the roles, somehow the magic of the story still managed to shine thru. I think it makes am excellent companion piece to Watchmen the book.

I'm not sure it's unpopular anymore but I'm definitely over comic book/superhero movies. The only reason I used to follow them so closely was because I LOVE comic books. When the first batch of MCU movies were coming out it felt like they were going to be the accurate adaptations I always wanted to see but by the time Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron came out I realized the MCU was just gonna be cringey sitcoms with boom booms.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:07 am I'm not sure it's unpopular anymore but I'm definitely over comic book/superhero movies. The only reason I used to follow them so closely was because I LOVE comic books. When the first batch of MCU movies were coming out it felt like they were going to be the accurate adaptations I always wanted to see but by the time Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron came out I realized the MCU was just gonna be cringey sitcoms with boom booms.
My "arc" with the MCU and superhero movies in general is kinda similar. Iron Man Through The Avengers, I was 100% on board. Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World were a little so-so...but then I LOVED Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.

By the time I got to Doctor Strange...it became kind of clear. There will be a few great/really good movies, and then everything else will sort of fall somewhere below that mark, but even when they weren't that good...they would usually hit a certain bar of 'mildly entertaining while building to the eventual really good movie'

Basically....from beginning to Endgame(hardy har har)...you've got 22 movies. There are SOME you can kind of skip and it genuinely does not disrupt the narrative or development of the story...so you can maybe cut it down to about 18 movies.

For me, things like that become matters of "Is the average level of quality worth the time investment of 18-22 movies?" and with the MCU it is not. You have a nice chunk of gems in there, but at mos it is maybe 1/3rd of the series....and then everything else falls somewhere beneath those high marks.

Funny enough....at the end of 2019, right as I was becoming extremely bewildered and 'done' with both the MCU and Dragon Ball Z and what they had evolved/devolved into...I found a fresh property that blended basically all of the things I loved about BOTH the MCU and DBZ, while removing pretty much all of the 'poison pills' I DISLIKED about both properties....and that was My Hero Academia.

That is Superhero-Shonen Anime perfection for the 21st century.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:02 pm and that was My Hero Academia.

That is Superhero-Shonen Anime perfection for the 21st century.
It really is great when it wants to be. I'm a little concerned about its future, though. Assuming we'll follow our heroes all the way through school and to the start of their pro careers, we're in for a long ride. Four seasons in and we're not even done with Class 1-A's first year. That could be great if they can maintain current quality, but it's beginning to show some concerning signs. Except for Gentle Criminal (who was a very welcome change of pace and throwback to goofier Golden or Silver Age villains), every major villain so far has basically the same motive: tear down the 'fake' heroes and 'fix' the society based around them. It's getting a bit repetitive. And then Bakugo has basically lost all of the edge and tension that made him interesting, and is slipping toward comic relief.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:07 am I feel like the point of the book kinda went over Zack's head, and the reasoning behind adapting it in and of itself missed the point of the story.
Here's my unpopular opinion, targeted more against the hyperbolic arguments this film receives than anything else, is that I don't believe that Watchmen is unadaptable, and I do think Zack Snyder actually comes close to a perfect Watchmen adaptation, albeit, one that only lasts about five minutes. More specifically, I believe that the intro scene
is the purest translation of Watchmen from comic to film, because it understands the stylistic, tonal, and idiosyncratic qualities of Moore's work, but communicates the information through the tropes, and structures of its medium. Watchmen is too ingrained in the comic book medium for a 1:1 translation, which is why I think the intro works so well. It communicates almost everything the audience needs to know about the world, establishes characters and history, but does so in a way that is inventive, reflects on how stories are told through film through the montage (as the original used the 9 paneling to communicate as well), and even picks up on the pop culture/symbolism that Moore so often utilized. It's a shame the rest of the movie wasn't this unique.

Side note: I also like the ending change, not because the original is bad, but because again I think the new ending works better as a commentary on comic book movies, as how the squid harkens back to the aesthetic of comic books themselves.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I have always felt that the best way to adapt Watchmen would be not to try to directly adapt the comic - and certainly not to try to directly adapt panels from it - but rather to start take the broad strokes of the story but translate them through the lens of popular action cinema tropes. Personally, I always pictured the visual style as very much rooted in something like The French Connection, but that's purely down to a fondness for that 70s New Hollywood aesthetic.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think he was a fantastic choice in updating the story for the modern era. I don't think the meta-grittiness was just for show, I think it was quite obvious he was calling out the very tropes that were common in hero flicks at the time, and even now. Badass heroes with genuine powers, who succumb to their own psyches.

I don't think the whole pillowcase wearing heroes who play a facade on camera only to be weak willed or mean spirited individuals behind the scenes would make for much of a modern take on the genre. HBO Max could do a prequel like that, possibly.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:09 am It really is great when it wants to be. I'm a little concerned about its future, though. Assuming we'll follow our heroes all the way through school and to the start of their pro careers, we're in for a long ride. Four seasons in and we're not even done with Class 1-A's first year. That could be great if they can maintain current quality, but it's beginning to show some concerning signs. Except for Gentle Criminal (who was a very welcome change of pace and throwback to goofier Golden or Silver Age villains), every major villain so far has basically the same motive: tear down the 'fake' heroes and 'fix' the society based around them. It's getting a bit repetitive. And then Bakugo has basically lost all of the edge and tension that made him interesting, and is slipping toward comic relief.
This is pure speculation. I'm an anime-only fan and don't turn to the Manga for spoilers....but I don't believe the author intends to follow the entire journey through their 4 years. I think that is what the big sort of 'twist/spin' will be. I think something will disrupt the entire school system entirely, and we may perhaps be in for a big catastrophe and then a time skip of a few years.

The Manga is on volume 29.

The author said that his initial plans were to end it at about volume 30, although he admits that became impossible...https://www.monstersandcritics.com/anim ... ry-finale/

December 2019 - He spoke about writing the story with the ending in mind - https://www.cbr.com/my-hero-academia-series-end/

December 2020 - He said the manga may be ending soon: https://comicbook.com/anime/news/my-her ... ding-soon/

Something tells me it won't go on for too much longer.

I for one couldn't stand "Gentle Criminal" and found him to be exactly the kind of "filler" villain that should be avoided. I have loved Bakugo's progression...he is basically the Vegeta of this type of story, only MHA isn't afraid to actually let him get to shine and get center stage from time to time without completely taking the wind out of his sails.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, okay, I didn't know about the potential end of the manga. We'll certainly get several more seasons just due to the show's popularity, but I'm glad there's an end planned.

And we'll probably have to just disagree on Gentle Criminal. Filler he may have been, but those are the kind of villains I tend to gravitate towards. Your Dr. Lights and Rhinos that the heroes deal with on a monthly basis. The big bads tend not to interest me as much, though there certainly are exceptions.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I gotta be honest: i think i'm mostly done with the shared universe concept. Outside of a couple franchises, the idea feels like it's run it's course for the time and i want more franchises to stand on their own.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:13 am I gotta be honest: i think i'm mostly done with the shared universe concept. Outside of a couple franchises, the idea feels like it's run it's course for the time and i want more franchises to stand on their own.
Would those couple of franchises be our old friends DC Comics and Marvel Comics?
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:54 am
Gigantis wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:13 am I gotta be honest: i think i'm mostly done with the shared universe concept. Outside of a couple franchises, the idea feels like it's run it's course for the time and i want more franchises to stand on their own.
Would those couple of franchises be our old friends DC Comics and Marvel Comics?
Them and the MonsterVerse

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Eh, the Monsterverse is barely a cinematic universe in the way DC and Marvel are. 3/4 of it are Godzilla films.

I see a lot more in common with the early Godzilla Showa series, if anything – how Rodan and Mothra are stand alone movies like Skull Island was, but ultimately fit into the series timeline.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I’m on the boat that I’d like to see more cinematic universes. The problem however, is that so few are done right. Marvel was and still is a fun romp. The Monsterverse has been pretty good, although it’s still to early to say it’s spread it’s wings proper. But everything else just feels... meh.

DCEU has only one movie I’ve liked. The Dark Universe was laughable. And I know Scoob tried to do a Hanna Barbara cinematic universe, but that movie just kinda came and left. No signs of a continuation yet I think. As it stands, I kinda wish there was more effort being put into these beyond just “make Marvel money.”

I guess to add to the Unpopular opinion pile: Never been a fan of the “gritty superhero deconstruction” trope. Stuff like The Boys I always thought were “meh” at best. And that’s on a good day.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.