Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by eabaker »

Kiryu2012 wrote:Zombies are overrated. We need more Werewolf movies.
I'd say oversaturated rather than overrated. I'm not even sure what overrated would mean in this context.

I love a good werewolf movie - heck, Werewolf of London, The Wolf Man, An American Werewolf in London and The Howling all hold high rankings among my favorite horror movies of all time - but it's in many ways a limiting genre; it's usually (though not always) at its most effective when told from the protagonist-as-monster perspective, and finding new ways to tackle that can be tricky.

Zombies don't have to be the focus of the stories that feature them; they can be used as a backdrop against which to present all sorts of conflict among characters. And they are an easier canvas on which to pain a broad range of metaphors.

ETA: I tried my hand at making a werewolf movie about 14 years ago. We developed it as a short script, and shot sample scenes to try to get interest in a feature. There were some bits in there that I'm very proud of, but overall in my experience it was a much more difficult genre to conceive and execute a unique take on than zombies, vampires etc.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon May 28, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I suspect he means that he finds them uninteresting as villains (hence 'overrated' compared to their current wave of popularity)? I would agree that they are oversaturated in current media, though we seem to be on sort of the downside of the surge, with the Walking Dead properties being sort of the last vestiges. When they end, i could see zombies being largely dormant from media for a while, as the oversaturation peters itself out.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Kiryu2012 wrote:Zombies are overrated. We need more Werewolf movies.
That's...Not really an unpopular opinion really. You'd be surprised how many including me thinks that. The zombie genre definitely needs to die or as I should say it be put back in their grave where they belong as they've been done to death. What we need is tackling new horrors like lake monsters, wendigos and reptilian humanoids.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon May 28, 2018 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Yeah, I meant over saturated in that case, in that there's way too much stuff about Zombies and hardly anything about Werewolves (or Vampires and other horror monsters for that matter) in comparison.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Overall I actually like 'The Lost World: Jurassic Park' better than the novel.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Leviarex wrote:Overall I actually like 'The Lost World: Jurassic Park' better than the novel.
I'll second this, actually. Not that I dislike the novel or think some of its ideas are unwarranted, but I feel that the movie is a better continuation of the story.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Leviarex wrote:Overall I actually like 'The Lost World: Jurassic Park' better than the novel.
I'll second this, actually. Not that I dislike the novel or think some of its ideas are unwarranted, but I feel that the movie is a better continuation of the story.
Pretty much this.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Tbh, I prefer the Ducktales reboot over the original
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I hate capitalism.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Gerdzerl wrote:I hate capitalism.
8 years ago this would have been unpopular.
Now it's basically mainstream
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Ray Stantz > Peter Venkeman

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Gerdzerl wrote:I hate capitalism.
Capitalism as a system of reward-for-labor? I would disagree. Capitalism as a series of corporations and everything that goes with them? Right there with you.

Added in 1 minute 12 seconds:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Ray Stantz > Peter Venkeman
Egon Spengler > Winston Zedemore > Ray Stantz > Peter Venkman (except in one scene where he has the funniest line of the film)

How's that for unpopular? Don't care, sticking to it. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Capitalism is perfectly viable when regulated properly. Its just that the heads of capitalism don't want to be regulated so when those regulations are removed it all falls apart. That's how price gouging and monopolies start.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Just so. Capitalism with built-in cultural imperative for charity, governed by a strong, external moral or legal system that will hold it to account against the excesses that unchecked greed can easily abuse it with, is arguably the only truly functional model of capitalism for a society. Anything else will just inevitably be dragged down and corrupted/abused by the worst excesses and natural impulses of humanity.
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I always think of capitalism with the analogy of a river of human nature. Communism failed because it tried to make the river flow in the wrong direction and compel everyone to act against their individual self interest. Capitalism succeeds because it harnesses the river in the correct direction - however, you still need to place dams along that river so that it doesn’t run too fast and overflow it’s banks.

Added in 2 minutes 36 seconds:
Zarm wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Ray Stantz > Peter Venkeman
Egon Spengler > Winston Zedemore > Ray Stantz > Peter Venkman (except in one scene where he has the funniest line of the film)

How's that for unpopular? Don't care, sticking to it. :)
Though I disagree, I entirely respect it. :D Egon and Winston are the best.

Really, all four of them are the best. It just comes down to which one of them is the most the best. ;)

Which line, might I ask?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Which line, might I ask?
In Dana's appartment, when she asks if he's sure he's using the piece of equipment right. His delivery on the response is, for my money, one of the funniest things ever committed to film.

But humor is subjective, so your milage may vary. :)

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Which line, might I ask?
In Dana's appartment, when she asks if he's sure he's using the piece of equipment right. His delivery on the response is, for my money, one of the funniest things ever committed to film.

But humor is subjective, so your milage may vary. :)
I am pretty much right on-board with you here.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I feel like living dangerously today, so I’m going to take my last ‘unpopular opinion’ a step further.

Dan Aykroyd > Bill Murray.

*gasp*

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I feel like living dangerously today, so I’m going to take my last ‘unpopular opinion’ a step further.

*gasp*
I agree.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I feel like living dangerously today, so I’m going to take my last ‘unpopular opinion’ a step further.

*gasp*
I agree.
Dude! He didn't just write the most sacrilegious thing on this thread just for you to come in and just straight up agree with him. Dude probably paced around his room sweating and asked for Forgiveness from Jesus before submitting his post.
Last edited by goji89 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.