Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Well if Smash Mouth is any indication, I might be a born-again Belieber
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Well if Smash Mouth is any indication, I might be a born-again Belieber
Well you did see her face.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:I mean, Ygor may well be Lugosi's best performance ever, but that alone does not make a movie as charming, heartbreaking, stylish and unique as The Bride of Frankenstein.
I don't think that was his sole reason (just watched the video, he mentions more, check it out y yourself).
eabaker wrote:I continue to be glad that I don't really know who James Rolfe is, even though people in this fandom cite him constantly.
He's really not as bad as his opinions on the Godzilla films make it out to be. He's more of a horror fan than a kaiju fan anyway. I wouldn't discredit him based on that, at least.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:I mean, Ygor may well be Lugosi's best performance ever, but that alone does not make a movie as charming, heartbreaking, stylish and unique as The Bride of Frankenstein.
I don't think that was his sole reason.
I would hope not. :)

Heck, just among the performances, Lionel Atwill is absolutely iconic as Inspector Krogh, and Basil Rathbone's scenery chewing is pretty delightful.

There's also some pretty magnificent production design.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:

Heck, just among the performances, Lionel Atwill is absolutely iconic as Inspector Krogh, and Basil Rathbone's scenery chewing is pretty delightful.

All three of those reasons were definitely mentioned in his review. He cites the bigger budget in particular as helping the film look more grand.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:

All three of those reasons were definitely mentioned in his review. He cites the bigger budget in particular as helping the film look more grand.
Huh. I don't really see "grand" as a pro or a con, I suppose; it's kind of a neutral trait. I don't think the earlier films would have benefitted in any way from looking more grand.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

In what apparently appears to be unpopular... I like Smashmouth!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote: Huh. I don't really see "grand" as a pro or a con, I suppose; it's kind of a neutral trait. I don't think the earlier films would have benefitted in any way from looking more grand.
I'm not really doing the best job of explaining his thought process, it'd be best to just watch his review.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote: Huh. I don't really see "grand" as a pro or a con, I suppose; it's kind of a neutral trait. I don't think the earlier films would have benefitted in any way from looking more grand.
I'm not really doing the best job of explaining his thought process, it'd be best to just watch his review.
I honestly probably won't. I'm old enough that I really find it much easier to digest and enjoy film crit (or lit crit, or cultural crit, or whatever crit) in essay form than in videos.

I wonder if that counts as an unpopular opinion.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is better than the original. And then every COD after sucked.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

The internet would be a better place if people were nicer and had more empathy. This isn't really targeted towards any group on the internet in particular. Too many people are just rude on the internet in general no matter what fanbase, ideology, etc. they are.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

BooLugosi wrote:The internet would be a better place if people were nicer and had more empathy. This isn't really targeted towards any group on the internet in particular. Too many people are just rude on the internet in general no matter what fanbase, ideology, etc. they are.
Aye, they think they can get away with anything.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I have to be rude on here, it's a part of the "Lain" character I play

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I have to be rude on here, it's a part of the "Lain" character I play
So you're the Alex Jones of TK?

Gotcha.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

goji89 wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:I have to be rude on here, it's a part of the "Lain" character I play
So you're the Alex Jones of TK?

Gotcha.
Itd all make since if someone were to check out the anime I derived my username from :lol:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I just started Iron Fist and so far I think it's pretty good.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I just started Iron Fist and so far I think it's pretty good.
Wow! Not only did I not care much for Iron Fist, but I found the early episodes particularly bad.

To each his own, but I think that may be one of the most unpopular opinions I've ever seen in this thread. :)

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I just started Iron Fist and so far I think it's pretty good.
Wow! Not only did I not care much for Iron Fist, but I found the early episodes particularly bad.

To each his own, but I think that may be one of the most unpopular opinions I've ever seen in this thread. :)
Hahah I thought so, people seem to HATE it. But from what I've seen just from the first two episodes it's rather fresh. Danny Rand is a type of superhero protagonist I don't feel I've seen before. Yes, they're kind of doing the Arrow thing (and I never really liked Arrow) but instead of this super serious guy with PTSD he's really nice. Almost too nice - he's like one of those international students who just seems a bit too eager, because they've spent their lives all over the world and never really settled down anywhere, is always needing to please new people.

And evil Faramir is great in a cheesy way. I just want to see a whole show of him raising his eyebrows and saying "this boy can fight the Hand!"

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:And evil Faramir is great in a cheesy way. I just want to see a whole show of him raising his eyebrows and saying "this boy can fight the Hand!"
Yeah, he and his son both get to chew on a lot of scenery, and end up being my favorite parts of the show.

I just find the whole thing really unfocused and sloppy compared to the other Marvel Netflix shows.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:And evil Faramir is great in a cheesy way. I just want to see a whole show of him raising his eyebrows and saying "this boy can fight the Hand!"
Yeah, he and his son both get to chew on a lot of scenery, and end up being my favorite parts of the show.

I just find the whole thing really unfocused and sloppy compared to the other Marvel Netflix shows.
I've heard that, and maybe I'll think the same thing eventually. My one friend told me it completely falls apart around episode 5. We'll see, for now I'm hooked enough to keep going.