Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cloverfield, the original, is a fantastic film, and one of the most important modern "giant monster" films. It's reputation has been diminished by stupid forced branding by the likes of JJ Abrahms (who did not direct or write the film), and greedy studio executives. As a stand alone film, Cloverfield is a modern classic and does a good job as serving as a modern parallel between NYC and 9/11 to Japan and the Atom Bomb.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Cloverfield is still IMHO, the best film to come out of the American side of the Kaiju Renaissance. And I fucking love about 70% of everything there so that should tell you.

RIP Evan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Cloverfield's unpopular?

I could get the other ones but the first?

Speaking of found footage. Alongside with Cloverfield. The best found footage films for me would be As Above So Below, Exists and Trollhunter.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Project Almanac in it's entirety seemed to have a splash when it came out, felt just like Chronicle, a favorite of mine. So i saw it opening weekend, i even could've sworn it did fairly fine financially.

But i barely hear about it, even amongst time travel favorites. i have no clue why its unpopular, it was great.

Added in 58 seconds:
Same with Chronicle, that was some next level superhero/found footage/ Modern Akira combination.

Wonder why people don't bring it up often?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

I must confess I do was rather disappoint with the Blair Witch Project. It’s a shame that one of the found films of the sub-genre should be a very poor example of it.

It’s sequel Book of Shadows is a very odd film, but the resent Blair Witch 2016 was surprisingly good. One of the rare cases of a sequel being superior then the original.

As for other found footage films one I can personally recommend is The Tunnel from 2011 and Rec 2007.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Monster X wrote:I must confess I do was rather disappoint with the Blair Witch Project. It’s a shame that one of the found films of the sub-genre should be a very poor example of it.

It’s sequel Book of Shadows is a very odd film, but the resent Blair Witch 2016 was surprisingly good. One of the rare cases of a sequel being superior then the original.

As for other found footage films one I can personally recommend is The Tunnel from 2011 and Rec 2007.
While Blair Witch popularized the genre, I'd really credit both Cannibal Holocaust for starting it. There's probably more obscure examples but yeah.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Maybe I have too big of an inner child, but if the rumored ending of 'Jurassic World: Dominion' about peaceful human, dinosaur coexistence turns out to be true, I won't mind it that much.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Yeah, it'll be like the Flintstones.

Yabba Dabba Do!

Selfies with T-Rexes and Brachiosaurus slide rides.

SoggyNoodles2016

I'd finally get my life long dream of having a pet Dilophosaurus, so win win all around.

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Leviarex wrote:Maybe I have too big of an inner child, but if the rumored ending of 'Jurassic World: Dominion' about peaceful human, dinosaur coexistence turns out to be true, I won't mind it that much.
Ⅰhave no idea why a rumored ending that goes one way or the other, is controversial either way.
It's a series about a fictional scifi park. The people freaking out of it are the worst types of basement dwellers.

SoggyNoodles2016

I think this ending speculation is given the series too much of a disservice. As much as the series has become b movie since 1997, it's still about ANIMALS, rarely monsters. It's not suddenly gonna shift into Rise Of The Planet Of The Raptors, it doesn't fit

RIP Evan.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I think this ending speculation is given the series too much of a disservice. As much as the series has become b movie since 1997, it's still about ANIMALS, rarely monsters. It's not suddenly gonna shift into Rise Of The Planet Of The Raptors, it doesn't fit
Ever since the first Jurassic Park, all the series has been getting is a disservice! The definition of milk right here.
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Leviarex wrote:Maybe I have too big of an inner child, but if the rumored ending of 'Jurassic World: Dominion' about peaceful human, dinosaur coexistence turns out to be true, I won't mind it that much.
Well duh do you want the children to cry? They love dinosaurs and don't want to see an sad depressing ending.

The same reason neither Godzilla nor Kong will kill each other and will team up because to the general audience they're the heroes in their eyes and don't like seeing heroes kill each other notably Steve vs. Tony. :-x
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

This whole Coronavirus thing seems like fearmongering to me. From what I've read, the virus has a very low mortality rate, and the people who've died already had health complications or were elderly and even then it's not gaurenteed to be fatal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... d-covid-19
Last edited by Breakdown on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Breakdown wrote:This whole Coronavirus thing seems like fearmongering to me. From what I've read, the virus has a very low mortality rate, and the people who've died already had health complications or were elderly and even then it's not gaurenteed to be fatal.

That and it pretty much has the same symptoms as the common cold.

Regardless though dangerous or not its still gotta be contained just to be safe but otherwise I agree with you.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

This has been bugging me for years, in The Dark Knight Returns, Batman didn't beat Superman. Faking your death is not in anyway winning anything.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:This has been bugging me for years, in The Dark Knight Returns, Batman didn't beat Superman. Faking your death is not in anyway winning anything.
...But he did beat him?

After Green Arrow infused him with Kryptonite, Batman could have beaten him to death. Or hell, just change the dose of kryptonite to make it lethal

But he didn't. Because he wanted to make Superman stay out of his way once he faked his death. And he accomplished it, although partially because Clark is, you know, a good person.

But still, even if he needed outside help, Batman beat Superman in that story. You can disagree with if it should've happened or not, but it DID happen
Last edited by Manuelito Canelito on Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

SoggyNoodles2016

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Breakdown wrote:This whole Coronavirus thing seems like fearmongering to me. From what I've read, the virus has a very low mortality rate, and the people who've died already had health complications or were elderly and even then it's not gaurenteed to be fatal.

That and it pretty much has the same symptoms as the common cold.

Regardless though dangerous or not its still gotta be contained just to be safe but otherwise I agree with you.

The problem with this disease has NEVER been the mortality rate or how bad the symptoms are (though it is bad in those with prior health issues and can cause pneumonia in extreme cases)

The problem is it has a slow incubation and is asymptomatic in a large number who carry it. So it spreads INCREDIBLY fast.

The problem is it spreads so fast that it's overwhelming our set up healthcare system if it keeps spreading like it is and at that point, people start dying because we have no way to help them.

In short, it is a big deal but not for the reasons everyone is panicking about
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:[Snip snip
Soggy, you just replied to a month old post to two people that realized the virus is actually dangerous. :?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Going back to clover field, I really enjoyed the first and second yet have zero desire to see the third. In fact what made the second a worse film than it could have been were the last ten minutes attempting to connect the two. The series would have been better as a twilight zone esq anthology each doing a different type of horror genre film.
He Jock it Made of Steel