Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by eabaker »

Gerdzerl wrote:I don't mind revisionism / retconning in general.
I think retconning can be a necessity in making a new story work in an established world. I only have an issue when people try to apply retcon details to an analysis of the original work. For example, I think revealing Leia as Luke's sister was ultimately a good idea for the Star Wars universe, but it in no way means that Luke and Leia were brother and sister when they kissed in A New Hope and Empire, because they were not brother and sister when those movies were produced/released.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:
goji89 wrote:
eabaker wrote:I kinda flip-flop on this one, but if you catch me on the right day, it's possible to hear me say...

...that I like For a Few Dollars More better than The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

God, I feel dirty admitting that!
Wow! Better than The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.......are you mad, man. But either way most kids around here don't know who Clint Eastwood is, although they might know him as that crazy old man rambling on to an empty chair.
Like I said, it's not an opinion I hold consistently. They're both skreeonking great.

Surely the kids here - being sci-fi/giant monster fans - at least remember ol' Clint from his minor, uncredited roles in Revenge of the Creature and Tarantula!
You give them too much credit sir. I doubt they would know a 1955 movie that isn't Godzilla.....Do any of them know there was a sequel to Creature from the black lagoon?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I try to forget Revenge of the Creature exists, if I'm honest.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

John Stewart should be the main Green Lantern, Hal Jordan sucks.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:I try to forget Revenge of the Creature exists, if I'm honest.
Not one of my own unpopular opinions, but a friend of mine has tried to argue to me that Revenge is better than the original.

I don't think he's right. At all.

At all.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

goji89 wrote:
eabaker wrote:I kinda flip-flop on this one, but if you catch me on the right day, it's possible to hear me say...

...that I like For a Few Dollars More better than The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

God, I feel dirty admitting that!
Wow! Better than The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.......are you mad, man. But either way most kids around here don't know who Clint Eastwood is, although they might know him as that crazy old man rambling on to an empty chair.
Nothing compares to Josey Wales
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I try to forget Revenge of the Creature exists, if I'm honest.
Not one of my own unpopular opinions, but a friend of mine has tried to argue to me that Revenge is better than the original.

At all.
Ugh, no offense to your friend but that's a horrible way of living.

While we're on the subject of Universal Monsters, I personally don't think Son of Frankenstein is on-par with Bride or the original.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:

At all.
Ugh, no offense to your friend but that's a horrible way of living.

While we're on the subject of Universal Monsters, I personally don't think Son of Frankenstein is on-par with Bride or the original.
I love Son of Frankenstein, but is there anyone who would say it's on par with Whale's masterpieces???

Who are these lunatics???!!!

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

I prefer scaly dinosaurs over feathered. Exceptions are raptors and stuff like that.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I don't belieb in dinosaurs

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:
I love Son of Frankenstein, but is there anyone who would say it's on par with Whale's masterpieces???

I think James Rolfe of Cinemassacre said so in his Monster Madness review, mainly citing Lugosi's perfomance as Ygor as a deciding factor.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I think James Rolfe of Cinemassacre said so in his Monster Madness review, mainly citing Lugosi's perfomance as Ygor as a deciding factor.
I can confirm this as I watched said video last night

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I mean, Ygor may well be Lugosi's best performance ever, but that alone does not make a movie as charming, heartbreaking, stylish and unique as The Bride of Frankenstein.

I continue to be glad that I don't really know who James Rolfe is, even though people in this fandom cite him constantly.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I don't belieb in dinosaurs
So you're not a Belieber?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I don't find the Jurassic Park franchise to be entertaining.

I don't like Kylo Ren or Rey.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

goji89 wrote:
No, I am not a belieber...

Then I saw her face, now I'm a belieber
Not a trace, of doubt in my mind
I'm in love, and I'm a belieber
I couldn't leave her if I tried..

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote: I continue to be glad that I don't really know who James Rolfe is, even though people in this fandom cite him constantly.
And buddy you just made one of the most unpopular opinions on here in being glad you don't know who James "AVGN" Rolfe is.....May these nerds have mercy on your soul.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I don't find the Jurassic Park franchise to be entertaining.
I quite like the first book/movie. But I don't think the idea has ever leant itself well to sequels. It should have been a one-and-done.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I don't find the Jurassic Park franchise to be entertaining.
I quite like the first book/movie. But I don't think the idea has ever leant itself well to sequels. It should have been a one-and-done.
I agree, the first one is good but everything else is just kinda boring.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
goji89 wrote:
No, I am not a belieber...

Then I saw her face, now I'm a belieber
Not a trace, of doubt in my mind
I'm in love, and I'm a belieber