Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:(Say what you will about Disney-era Star Wars; they muster some amazing trailers).
Agreed. Except the Solo trailer. Extreme disappointment was felt upon seeing that.
I definitely get that, and the ending music sting was awful... but I just felt something promising in it.

We shall see.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Zarm wrote: Because I don't recall any airstrikes against civilian targets or assassins that took out innocent contacts.
There were definitely civilians on board the two Death Stars (the same kind of civilians they killed on Eadu, in fact), and the operation in RotJ was no defensive gesture. True, Cassian's backstabbing is exceptionally cruel, but the whole point of his character is him realizing that the Rebellion can't be fought like this and they have to draw the line somewhere.
In fact, I'm having a hard time recalling any assassination missions at all. Han was the morally edgy character, and even the majority of what he did could be classed in self-defense.
Lando had some moral edginess. So did Luke for that matter.

There was never any illusion in the OT that an armed resistance against the Empire could be carried out only in self-defense. The Rebels were always willing to eliminate Imperial collaborators if they felt it was necessary; the fact that most deaths we see onscreen are only Stormtroopers does not make this any less true.
I'm sorry if you find it silly, but I find it kind of striking at the literal heart of Star Wars to drag the Rebellion through the mud; the same way TFA did to Han and TLJ did to Luke. Each of them took something that was supposed to be noble and heroic and sullied them, and to me, there's not much worse you can do to Star Wars than that. (Especially after the prequels got through doing the same to the Jedi).
Rogue One did not drag the Rebellion through the mud; neither did the prequels drag the Jedi through the mud (a common sentiment among fans that makes absolutely no sense; everything bad the Republic did was a result of Sidious' manipulations, of which the Jedi were innocent victims as much as anyone else. The only Jedi who did anything truly malicious in the PT was Anakin, and we already knew about him.)

The Rebellion seen in Rogue One was at its most vulnerable point, while the Rebellion in OT was mounting a strong string of victories against the Empire. They were in a desperate situation before they acquired the Death Star plans, when the Empire seemed unbeatable and their cause hopeless. Jyn, Cassian, and the rest of the Rogue One team had to learn to put aside their differences to achieve their common goal, and this is true of the Rebellion as a whole. When Rogue One undertook the mission to Scarif, they thought they might be on their own, but Commander Raddus and the others rallied behind them. The Rebel Alliance in the OT is more unified and confident in its actions than the Alliance in Rogue One because this is the story of how they reached that point- they'd overcome their darkest hour, they were no longer making decisions based on fear and desperation, but were grounded on hope.

The sequel trilogy's treatment of Han and Luke is detestable because their characters in those movies aren't a satisfying extension of how they matured in the original trilogy. Comparing this to Rogue One's treatment of the Rebel Alliance is nonsensical, as Rogue One isn't about how the Rebellion lost its way, its about how they found their way after making mistakes and struggling against the odds. Saying they should have learned their lesson before they were even tested is like saying Luke should have proved he could resist the Dark Side without actually being tempted by it.
To me, the rebellion, Han, Luke, and Leia (adn vader and Palpatine as villains) are Star Wars. they're the core, the center; the nexus around which everything else is either backstory being filled in or a continuation of their story. There is room for other eras, other characters, new series- but those that reflect badly on the originals are instantly on my bad side.
Your interpretation rests on badly misreading Rogue One and a questionable conception of the OT.
Not enough to sink a film entirely on their own... but a major enough strike that there has to be a whole lot of good to counteract it. TFA comes close enough to break even. TLJ actively compounds the problems for me. And Rogue One... just kind of has nothing. It doesn't engage, doesn't inspire; and thus, there's nothing to counteract that major strike against it.
Jyn's transformation from cynical contrarian to selfless freedom fighter wasn't inspiring? Cassian's struggle to atone for the evils he's done isn't inspiring? Both of them reaching these points because the bond they've forged pushed them to be better people isn't inspiring? Baze recovering his lost faith because of his bond with Chirrut isn't inspiring? Galen's long battle to sabotage the Death Star in the face of overwhelming odds isn't inspiring?

This goes way beyond merely being uncharitable about the movie.
And no, I definitely don't brush the other merits aside- I don't see many merits.
I've raised a number of points in the film's favor, that so far no one has refuted or explained away, just brushed aside half heartedly.
Plus, the film seemed to lack an indefinable something that prevented any of the pieces of either the narrative or the score from ever gelling together into a coherent, involving whole.
Rogue One is about comrades. Jyn was abandoned by everyone she cared about; she'd given up believing in comrades. The Rebellion was rife with fear and division in what seemed to be a losing battle. When Jyn is pulled back into the Rebellion, she doesn't want any part of it, but once she joins the mission to Jedha she begins to rethink her feelings about the cause. Cassian and K-2, Chirrut and Baze, Galen and Bodhi, all people who believed in each other, all comrades fighting for the same cause, pushing each other farther than any of them could have gotten on their own- when Jyn realizes these people are her comrades, she realizes that the cause isn't hopeless. Rogue One comes together to take on a desperate gamble that is the fractured Rebellion's only chance of standing up to the Death Star; their actions push the Rebel Alliance into uniting together to win this battle, their first great victory against the Empire. Rogue One is about finding hope in standing with your comrades when things seem hopeless on your own.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

A lot of my frustration from Rogue One is, very seriously, that it assumed almost the exact same formula as Godzilla (you know, given that Edwards directed them both), and yet the same people that hate on the latter seem to give Rogue One a standing ovation

I mean, were they expecting strong characterization in a fucking disaster movie? Or nonstop Godzilla action? Just seems a little like Star Wars bias to me
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Ryguy wrote:A lot of my frustration from Rogue One is, very seriously, that it assumed almost the exact same formula as Godzilla (you know, given that Edwards directed them both), and yet the same people that hate on the latter seem to give Rogue One a standing ovation
I like both Rogue One and G14 a great deal and have never indicated otherwise?
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ryguy wrote: I mean, were they expecting strong characterization in a fucking disaster movie?
Since when are genre movies not allowed to have good characters?

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

G14 *did* have good characters: Joe Brodie, Dr. Serizawa, and Admiral Stenz. Ford was the weakest link, but he was passable as a POV character. Fans complain about Ford and other things like Godzilla's screen time and ignore the film's better qualities- many of them the same fans who would praise some of the Showa series entries with identical issues. Ichinose from Terror of Mechagodzilla is probably worse than Ford in terms of characterization, but that doesn't stop fans from loving the movie for the good characters it does have, like Katsura, Dr. Mafune, and Mugol (and, let it be mentioned, forgiving Godzilla's similar treatment and limited screen time). I'm one of those fans: I adore ToM and other films like it. The only difference is I have no problem with G14 doing a lot of the same things; its similarities to ToM are actually among the reasons I enjoy it so much.
Resized Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Zarm wrote: Because I don't recall any airstrikes against civilian targets or assassins that took out innocent contacts.
There were definitely civilians on board the two Death Stars (the same kind of civilians they killed on Eadu, in fact), and the operation in RotJ was no defensive gesture. True, Cassian's backstabbing is exceptionally cruel, but the whole point of his character is him realizing that the Rebellion can't be fought like this and they have to draw the line somewhere.
Both Death Stars were legitimate military targets, however. The Empire's choice to place civilians aboard doesn't make them civilian targets. And both were destroyed in self-defense, as they were actively targeting the Rebellion. Yes, the second Death Star was targeted pre-emptively; but it was also a military weapon that would be invincible when completed. It was a very different situation than 'find and assassinate Galen Erso' or 'call in an airstrike to assassinate Galen Erso.' One could argue that the second Death Star attack had the hopes of assassinating Palpatine in the process, however, he was also a secondary target and potential war-ending goal, whereas Galen was a potentially-friendly asset for whom there was already a planned extraction mission that a shadow-group within the Rebellion was actively sabotaging with a secret assassination mission. Even with the most moral-equivalency interpretation, Rogue One still represented a new level.

Ivo-goji wrote:
In fact, I'm having a hard time recalling any assassination missions at all. Han was the morally edgy character, and even the majority of what he did could be classed in self-defense.
Lando had some moral edginess. So did Luke for that matter.

There was never any illusion in the OT that an armed resistance against the Empire could be carried out only in self-defense. The Rebels were always willing to eliminate Imperial collaborators if they felt it was necessary; the fact that most deaths we see onscreen are only Stormtroopers does not make this any less true.
Lando had a moral edge as a character- but not once he became a member of the Rebellion. He left all that behind. Luke, arguably did; that scene has been hotly debated. However, my point was not that the Rebellion could only act in self-defense; merely that self-defense was a plausible justification for even most of Han's 'questionable' actions.

The Rebellion obviously waged an offensive guerrilla war wherever they could. That included strikes on Imperial military targets. Willingness to eliminate 'collaborators' outside of those military targets is unproven and, i'd contend, untrue. Outside of Rogue One's revisionist history, the Rebellion did not engage in civilian strikes, terrorist activities, or other actions outside the rules of war. They didn't employ assassins, they didn't have secret assassination orders (the closest coming with Jan Ors and Kyle Katarn, but in that case only if one of their own number proved traitorous and betraying the rebellion was he to be taken out)... they simply weren't that kind of organization.

Ivo-goji wrote:The Rebellion seen in Rogue One was at its most vulnerable point, while the Rebellion in OT was mounting a strong string of victories against the Empire. They were in a desperate situation before they acquired the Death Star plans, when the Empire seemed unbeatable and their cause hopeless. Jyn, Cassian, and the rest of the Rogue One team had to learn to put aside their differences to achieve their common goal, and this is true of the Rebellion as a whole. When Rogue One undertook the mission to Scarif, they thought they might be on their own, but Commander Raddus and the others rallied behind them. The Rebel Alliance in the OT is more unified and confident in its actions than the Alliance in Rogue One because this is the story of how they reached that point- they'd overcome their darkest hour, they were no longer making decisions based on fear and desperation, but were grounded on hope.
The Rebellion in the OT is in desperate straights continually. They've also existed for over a decade. Thanks to in-canon Rebels, they've been actively fighting Imperial targets as cells for years, as a unified Rebel Alliance for at least two. There's no excuse for them to be squabbling saplings with no backbone and a surfeit of political infighting. If this was set just post-ROTS, maybe; but by now, the Rebellion's got their act together. Requiring a movie protagonist to give these people the gumption (or hope) they need to put aside petty differences and stop making foolish, cautious choices based on fear diminishes their character. The rebellion was an organization of committed individuals who pulled themselves up by their bootstraps to oppose the Empire because they saw it needed to be done. Making them squabbling, fearful, and ineffective without an outside force to organize them stands at odds against that nature. (Also, by this point, they'd defeated Thrawn, freed Lothal, stopped the TIE Defender program, and numerous other minor victories; there was hope aplenty as per the rest of canon).

Ivo-goji wrote:The sequel trilogy's treatment of Han and Luke is detestable because their characters in those movies aren't a satisfying extension of how they matured in the original trilogy. Comparing this to Rogue One's treatment of the Rebel Alliance is nonsensical, as Rogue One isn't about how the Rebellion lost its way, its about how they found their way after making mistakes and struggling against the odds. Saying they should have learned their lesson before they were even tested is like saying Luke should have proved he could resist the Dark Side without actually being tempted by it.
I'm not saying they should have learned their lesson before they were tested; I'm saying that positioning them as a group that needed to learn that lesson in the first place stands counter to how they've been portrayed in the past and places them in a much dimmer light than all previous portrayals in which the individuals that came forward to form the rebellion at its inception already understood these things, knew what had to be done, understood how to put aside their differences to oppose the Empire- that's how the Rebel 'Alliance' came to be to begin with- and didn't have any tendencies toward assassination and the low-road to be overcome in the first place. Retroactively trying to supply them with those is still a diminishment of them compared to everything that they've been presented as, in the originals, the EU, and even new canon, up to and after that point.

But I do agree with you about Han and Luke.

Ivo-goji wrote:
Not enough to sink a film entirely on their own... but a major enough strike that there has to be a whole lot of good to counteract it. TFA comes close enough to break even. TLJ actively compounds the problems for me. And Rogue One... just kind of has nothing. It doesn't engage, doesn't inspire; and thus, there's nothing to counteract that major strike against it.
Jyn's transformation from cynical contrarian to selfless freedom fighter wasn't inspiring? Cassian's struggle to atone for the evils he's done isn't inspiring? Both of them reaching these points because the bond they've forged pushed them to be better people isn't inspiring? Baze recovering his lost faith because of his bond with Chirrut isn't inspiring? Galen's long battle to sabotage the Death Star in the face of overwhelming odds isn't inspiring?
...No? I didn't really see any measurable change in Jyn. Cassian being a monster and then being sorry about it isn't inspiring, it's... basically decent, at best. Even then, I didn't see any especial atonement there. Baze, sure. Galen- no, I find the entire concept of his intentional sabotage idiotic writing, so I wasn't inspired by the implied offscreen years in which he was doing it.

Look, I understand you liked this movie. I could ask the same questions about plenty of movies I like ("You didn't find the Harry and the Sandman's plotline with forgiveness to be more powerful than your dislike of how they handled Venom, internet acquaintance?"); but whatever points may be factual, this is a matter of personal taste. For me, none of the elements or the plots in the film inspired any emotion. Whether it was the way they were written, or edited, or acted... again, I can see the elements of what would be a good story, or an involving plot, or a stirring moment, but the way that they were assembled, none of them managed to reach the point of being good, or involving, or stirring, for me. That's not being uncharitable; that's just an honest appraisal of how the movie felt for me. Different art touches different people differently. This one didn't, for me.

Ivo-goji wrote:
And no, I definitely don't brush the other merits aside- I don't see many merits.
I've raised a number of points in the film's favor, that so far no one has refuted or explained away, just brushed aside half heartedly.
You've raised a number of points that were merits for you. If it were that simple to make a film good or accepted, then my eloquent defenses would have the internet recognizing that The Motion picture is the best Star Trek movie, Spider-man 3 is the best Spider-man movie, G14 is so much better than Shin Godzilla that it's not ever funny, and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is an amazing film. But just because they have points that make them meritorious to me doesn't mean that other people will see them as such. As I said in the bit you quoted, 'I don't see many merits.' All that means is that they aren't there in my estimation; not that they don't exist for you, or any particular other viewer.
Ivo-goji wrote:
Plus, the film seemed to lack an indefinable something that prevented any of the pieces of either the narrative or the score from ever gelling together into a coherent, involving whole.
Rogue One is about comrades. Jyn was abandoned by everyone she cared about; she'd given up believing in comrades. The Rebellion was rife with fear and division in what seemed to be a losing battle. When Jyn is pulled back into the Rebellion, she doesn't want any part of it, but once she joins the mission to Jedha she begins to rethink her feelings about the cause. Cassian and K-2, Chirrut and Baze, Galen and Bodhi, all people who believed in each other, all comrades fighting for the same cause, pushing each other farther than any of them could have gotten on their own- when Jyn realizes these people are her comrades, she realizes that the cause isn't hopeless. Rogue One comes together to take on a desperate gamble that is the fractured Rebellion's only chance of standing up to the Death Star; their actions push the Rebel Alliance into uniting together to win this battle, their first great victory against the Empire. Rogue One is about finding hope in standing with your comrades when things seem hopeless on your own.
I do understand the concept. But as I said, the execution never gelled together into anything involving, inspiring, or meaningful to me. I get what it was supposed to be about, but the actual product onscreen fell flat, for me. I feel that I've given a personal offense in that, somehow, but I don't mean to. It's kinda like... a long island ice tea. Someone else might extol its virtues, the subtle blend of flavors, the heady feeling of downing it... to me, it just tasted like extra-bitter grapefruit juice. Whatever value it may have to someone else, to me, it was just kind of nothing. That doesn't mean it was nothing to you, or that the film is objectively without value- but for me, it was, and compounded that fall-flatness with an insulting slant on what is near and dear to the heart of Star Wars. That's why I so heavily disfavor it. But that's just me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Can't fathom how Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle nearly earned a billion dollars at the BO. It wasn't BAD, but it was just kinda bland. Watched it last night, and the character interactions were the best part, specifically Jack Black and Kevin Hart's characters

The CGI looked kinda lackluster TBH, and none of the action scenes really stood out.

Meanwhile, Rampage was one of the best movies I have ever seen. Fun and exhilarating all around.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Ryguy wrote:Can't fathom how Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle nearly earned a billion dollars at the BO. It wasn't BAD, but it was just kinda bland. Watched it last night, and the character interactions were the best part, specifically Jack Black and Kevin Hart's characters

The CGI looked kinda lackluster TBH, and none of the action scenes really stood out.
Agreed, I watched it recently too and I just don't get a lot of the buzz about it. There are some funny moments, but when the jokes fail, they really fail. I will say that's it's still better than some other reboots such as the 2016 Ghostbusters or The Mummy, but not a very eventful one.

I also didn't really care for the dick joke that I've heard people say was hilarious. I think the idea is funny, but the execution of it just didn't work for me.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Bioshock Infinite is my least favorite Bioshock and IMHO it isnt even that good, the gameplay is OK at best but the story is just confusing and unfocused. I would have liked it more if they had just focused on the floating city and the conflict of the 2 main factions instead of adding theoretical physics to it. The trailers also promised a much more different game with new gameplay mechanics

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Ryguy wrote:Can't fathom how Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle nearly earned a billion dollars at the BO. It wasn't BAD, but it was just kinda bland. Watched it last night, and the character interactions were the best part, specifically Jack Black and Kevin Hart's characters

GodzillavsZilla wrote:Agreed, I watched it recently too and I just don't get a lot of the buzz about it. There are some funny moments, but when the jokes fail, they really fail. I will say that's it's still better than some other reboots such as the 2016 Ghostbusters or The Mummy, but not a very eventful one.

I also didn't really care for the dick joke that I've heard people say was hilarious. I think the idea is funny, but the execution of it just didn't work for me.
Agreed. I avoided that movie like a plague and only will watch it when it gets released on NetFlix even then I don't have high hopes as from the trailers alone it looks horrendous. It sure as skreeonk ain't getting my money. Jumanji did not need a sequel when this movie could've been called anything else. They just pasted the title on there to draw audience in with blind nostalgia the same way they had with the Star Wars sequel trilogy and Jurassic Park which was the only reason those all did well in the first place.

A more appreciate title for that movie would've been JINO aka Jumanji In Name Only as the only thing it had in common was just the title, nothing else.

The fact people calls this movie "Lightning in Bottle" or better then the first Jumanjo shows the poop taste people has nowadays oh right so its very funny when one of the characters weaknesses is cake with "Oh noes if I eat cake I will explode". Hahaha that's sooooo funny *Sarcasm*. :roll:

I could write much better then that.

What I liked about the original Jumanji was it actually had an heart and also made you wonder what was going to happen next while happening in the real world putting more peril to it. This on the other hand seems predictable with an artificial heart with things you're going to see coming miles away and how Alan Parsh said in the world of Jumanji is where your only your worst nightmares come true and a horrible place. Oh right bad guys on motorcycles are things from your worst nightmares and looking like an video game jungle level? -_-
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

It should have been a spinoff like Zathura.

That sure as hell wasn't the "deepest darkest jungle" Alan describes.
A more appreciate title for that movie would've been JINO aka Jumanji In Name Only as the only thing it had in common was just the title, nothing else.
EXACTLY!
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:That sure as hell wasn't the "deepest darkest jungle" Alan describes.
IKR?

Zathura is the true sequel to Jumanji. Not that mockery that was released least year.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

I saw the original Jumanji years and years ago, so I've forgotten mostly everything about it. Thus, whether or not this one actually respects that one didn't influence my opinions about it

I just didn't find there to be anything remarkable about it. So the notion that it nearly crossed a billion at the BO is made even more bizarre

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

I haven't even seen the original Jumanji so I have no idea if it does respect the original or not. I just think the new one is a meh comedy with some shining moments.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The only good character in G14 is Cranston's. Watanabe and his partner never do anything outside of just say lines meant to be cool.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Jumanji: WTTJ is fine. Not absurdly offensive but solid enough. It pays a decent amount of respect to the original while showcasing a lot of new stuff.

However, I don’t think it’s $1 billion good, god no.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:That sure as hell wasn't the "deepest darkest jungle" Alan describes.
IKR?

Zathura is the true sequel to Jumanji. Not that mockery that was released least year.
That mockery that you said you haven't even seen?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

UltramanGoji wrote:Jumanji: WTTJ is fine. Not absurdly offensive but solid enough. It pays a decent amount of respect to the original while showcasing a lot of new stuff.

However, I don’t think it’s $1 billion good, god no.
That's exactly what I'd place it. I thought it was enjoyable enough. A bit surprised at the gross. But then, the same thing holds for Black Panther. Or Avatar. Or Titanic. I guess I'm just not very in touch with what other people would choose to spend their money on. :)

Maranatha!

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

pretty sure its just family money. Jumanji was probably a huge hit with kids and decent enough for parents, and without much competition, it was bound to make a lot just form large groups buying tickets.