Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Terasawa »

kingkevzilla88 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:19 am The Prisoner was always on tv growing up
I wondered about that, considering the number of Brit pop culture references to it. Unfortunately, however, I don't think that's been quite the case on this side of the pond. Except for brief runs on Sci-Fi in the '90s and IFC in 2009 (when that awful remake came along), I think its greatest exposure to U.S. audiences in the last thirty years has been on video and more recently streaming. As a '90s kid, I only knew about it because it was covered in a film & TV guide I religiously read. I ended up getting three episodes on tape but I never saw the rest of the series until I was an adult.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:00 pm
kingkevzilla88 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:19 am The Prisoner was always on tv growing up
I wondered about that, considering the number of Brit pop culture references to it. Unfortunately, however, I don't think that's been quite the case on this side of the pond. Except for brief runs on Sci-Fi in the '90s and IFC in 2009 (when that awful remake came along), I think its greatest exposure to U.S. audiences in the last thirty years has been on video and more recently streaming. As a '90s kid, I only knew about it because it was covered in a film & TV guide I religiously read. I ended up getting three episodes on tape but I never saw the rest of the series until I was an adult.
I felt like here in the States it was a pretty major hipster pop culture touchstone in the 2000s. A lot of people seemed to have the DVDs prominently displayed on their shelves, and people loved making jokes about the security balloon thing.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

eabaker wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:28 pm
Terasawa wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:00 pm
I felt like here in the States it was a pretty major hipster pop culture touchstone in the 2000s. A lot of people seemed to have the DVDs prominently displayed on their shelves, and people loved making jokes about the security balloon thing.
And don't forget the sequel four-issue comic book miniseries that came out many years later. I think Marvel released it, but I'm not sure.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:28 pmI felt like here in the States it was a pretty major hipster pop culture touchstone in the 2000s. A lot of people seemed to have the DVDs prominently displayed on their shelves, and people loved making jokes about the security balloon thing.
I guess that the few hipsters I knew then didn't find Patrick McGoohan hip enough.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Got one for Alien (1979).

Jonesy the cat is the scariest thing in the movie. Evil little bastard gets the two hardest-hitting jump scares in the movie, lures a man to his death, and scares off the xenomorph itself after an intense stare down.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

MCU Thanos is an overrated villain who sucks ain't as great as made out to be along with Avengers 3 and 4 (Which felt more like a soap opera than a superhero movie, this was the best they could come up with for 11 years and 22 movies?). He was basically just MCU Ultron but on a universal scale. Talk about rinsing and repeating.

Also, humor is overrated and doesn't make a movie better. Especially for something like Endgame. It's fine to have humor but don't have it be juvenile or forced ("So he's an idiot", Fat Thor, Fortnite, Hulk taking selfies). Take a page from Logan or pre-Avengers MCU (Except the Guardians films which it only works for) which knew when to be serious but had a good balance of said humor.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:20 pm MCU Thanos is an overrated villain who sucks ain't as great as made out to be along with Avengers 3 and 4 (Which felt more like a soap opera than a superhero movie, this was the best they could come up with for 11 years and 22 movies?). He was basically just MCU Ultron but on a universal scale. Talk about rinsing and repeating.

Also, humor is overrated and doesn't make a movie better. Especially for something like Endgame. It's fine to have humor but don't have it be juvenile or forced ("So he's an idiot", Fat Thor, Fortnite, Hulk taking selfies). Take a page from Logan or pre-Avengers MCU (Except the Guardians films which it only works for) which knew when to be serious but had a good balance of said humor.
I disagree with Thanos being a lame villain but yeah the humor in later MCU films were boderline cringeworthy with Endgame being it's holy grail. It's one of the reasons i think they're pretty overrated.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:25 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:20 pm MCU Thanos is an overrated villain who sucks ain't as great as made out to be along with Avengers 3 and 4 (Which felt more like a soap opera than a superhero movie, this was the best they could come up with for 11 years and 22 movies?). He was basically just MCU Ultron but on a universal scale. Talk about rinsing and repeating.

I disagree with Thanos being a lame villain but yeah the humor in later MCU films were boderline cringeworthy with Endgame being it's holy grail. It's one of the reasons i think they're pretty overrated.
Their repetitive fast food-like formula of each film feeling exactly the same notably its humor is exactly why I got burnt out by the films. Doctor Strange was honestly the last one I actually cared about, Guardians 2 bias wise.

Doctor Strange 2 and Guardians 3 also being the only MCU films I look forward to at this point.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Weird thought (no pun intended) but it came to me while I was browsing through his discography: I think Weird Al's food parodies are his worst songs. I vastly prefer both his original stuff and the parodies that don't revolve around food as there's just more variety to them.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I cannot bring myself to understand why people use WASD instead of arrow keys.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:33 pm I cannot bring myself to understand why people use WASD instead of arrow keys.
Because my right hand is using the mouse?

What mutant inhumanoid uses arrow keys

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:23 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:33 pm I cannot bring myself to understand why people use WASD instead of arrow keys.

As someone who has never touched a desktop in their life, I can believe it.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:30 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:23 pm

As someone who has never touched a desktop in their life, I can believe it.
Sometimes I use the arrow keys... for sidescrollers or other non-FPS videogames.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly arrow keys are so nonexistent. I legit wonder why computer companies still even bother adding them in.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:25 am Honestly arrow keys are so nonexistent. I legit wonder why computer companies still even bother adding them in.
Really? I use them all the time, both in specific specialty programs where they're useful and in just about any program I have to type. For example, I used them in typing this reply to quickly get to the beginning and end of my paragraph to fix formatting/spelling. Even if you don't use them, they only take up a small part of a keyboard. What new keys would you replace them with?
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I use the arrow keys a lot in photoshop, and to a lesser extent while editing in word documents or Final Cut Pro.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, I use the arrow keys constantly, both when typing and when editing video in Avid.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I use the arrow keys a lot, but that's kinda par for the course with my HP Pavillion laptop, lacking a mouse and all.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Unpopular Opinion: The rap game is a fucking joke. Back then it had some speciality to it, but was mostly just empty threats coming from soft ass people. Nowadays, it’s all just mumble rap and auto tune. And of course, people acting hard going “im a killer, y’all better back up” like-who fucking cares? And that’s just the guys. Forget about women rappers, all of whom only know how to rap about the thing between their legs or just about guys. Music nowadays ain’t even music, shit’s all just for the young Sluts of this generation. I’m embarrassed. This generation SUCKS.
Last edited by KingKong2005 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KingKong2005 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:17 pm Music nowadays ain’t even music, shit’s all just for the young Sluts of this generation. I’m embarrassed. This generation SUCKS.
This is like saying "food nowadays sucks". There is such a wide berth of music available in literally every conceivable genre, dismissing it as a whole just because of a genre that doesn't appeal to you is ignorant. Try listening to stuff that's not Billboard Top 100 radio hits. There's tons of great music being made today. Just because it doesn't have massive mainstream appeal doesn't mean it isn't there.