What made your day? KAI

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What made your day? KAI

Post by eabaker »

I guess this made my day yesterday, not today, but late last night we received the first pass on the score for one of the segments of 5 Faces of Hell (the anthology horror movie my wife and I are making for our thesis film, for those who don't know). The other segments are already full scored (either with public domain music, with music we own the rights to, or by one of the editors), but this one - "Rappaccini's Formula" - really needed an original score with a very specific vibe (psychedelic broadly comedic tragic body horror).

Earlier this month, we got a few recommendations from friends, and posted in a couple of FB groups. We ended up getting a response from a woman in the Philippines who'd seen the post somewhere on FB (we're not entirely sure where, may have been from a re-post), listened to some of her work online (https://soundcloud.com/jaimiepmusic), and thought that she might be a good fit for the piece. She agreed to a rate of $500 (not bad for scoring a 12 minute short), of which she'd get $250 upon delivery of a first draft, and the remainder on delivery of a final version. Her contract allows for one major revision and three minor revisions.

We sent her the to-time cut on Saturday night, and she'd asked for 1-2 weeks to do her first pass, so imagine our surprise when she delivered it after only four days!

More important than the speed, though, is the quality of the work. As I said, there are a lot of tonal and thematic elements to balance here, and I was really afraid that she - or any composer - wouldn't really know what direction to take it, or might latch onto the wrong elements.

Lo and behold, she sent us something that was, I'd say, at least 75% good to go as is! We asked her to add a bit of music for one scene, take it out in a couple of spots, but there's only one very small section we asked her to completely redo. Other than that, it's just adding or re-timing a sting here and there, and adding some percussion to one piece.

"Rapaccini's Formula" is the segment I've been least satisfied with going all the way back to the script stage. It was difficult to fit everything we needed into a short enough page count, the special effects were very demanding and at times we just didn't have the time or the money to pull off what I thought the story really needed, and in general we just had a hard time making all the pieces fit. As we got more playful with the edit, I got happier with it, but last night, watching it with that first pass of the score in place, for the first time I actually felt like it was working.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

This is a day-brightener:

Seven lions gunning for him, and he just casually holds them off like they're nothing. Crested porcupines are officially one of the most hardcore animals around. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:This is a day-brightener:

Seven lions gunning for him, and he just casually holds them off like they're nothing. Crested porcupines are officially one of the most hardcore animals around. :lol:
"I ugh....I can't figure out how to eat this thing guys."

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Ghost finally dropped their new single, announced their new album's release date and title and it's Friday the 13th. It's a good day.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Two things:

First of all, not sure if it's something to celebrate or revile, but as of today I have been on DA for 10 years.
I'd say the former since most of my friends made across the world that have stuck since all started out there. Plus, alot of my creative growth all occurred on DA.
So with down sides and all, I'd say it's been a good trip.

Oh, and finally receiving this beauty:
Spoiler:

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Wish me luck and pray for me guys, just submitted my first short story to a magazine for editing. :shock:

(As if Writers of the Future didn't have me tense enough...)
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Good luck, and I will be!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

I got an honorable mention in Writers of the Future!
goji89 wrote:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That's awesome! Congrats!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Thanks Zarm! :huge:

Now, time to go nuts and write until the day I die. Onward!
goji89 wrote:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:I got an honorable mention in Writers of the Future!
Sweet! Way to go!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Great! Thats good to hear!

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

eabaker wrote: Sweet! Way to go!
Thanks baker! :huge:
goji89 wrote: Great! Thats good to hear!
I know right? Thanks goji!

Honestly, thanks everybody for cheering me on. You're definitely my largest support group.
goji89 wrote:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

FANTASTIC . Nice dude!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Way to go, lad!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Finally being able to finish a massive school project, and being able to watch as something I had worked on for months finally came to fruition.

(It was a humongous paper, a senior thesis)
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: FANTASTIC . Nice dude!
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Way to go, lad!
See? I've got the world's best fanbase on my side. :lol: I'll send y'all free books.
goji89 wrote:

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: FANTASTIC . Nice dude!
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Way to go, lad!
See? I've got the world's best fanbase on my side. :lol: I'll send y'all free books.
WHAT?! :lol:
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I've been able to practice and start using my new contact lense. I really feel a huge weight off my shoulders. I was really thinking this was the end of my life, but now things are getting better. Thank God for that, and my family and girlfriend who were with me every step. I think I'll be back to work real soon, and everything will be back to normal.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:I've been able to practice and start using my new contact lense. I really feel a huge weight off my shoulders. I was really thinking this was the end of my life, but now things are getting better. Thank God for that, and my family and girlfriend who were with me every step. I think I'll be back to work real soon, and everything will be back to normal.
Great news.....But not to take away from your moment but my eyesight is more spect-ocular.........Fuck yeah best joke ever.

My eyesight is 40-40 in the dark. My eyesight is sooo good I can actually read the fine print from the credit card companies.....(p.s they really fuck you up in the long run).

I also see dead cornuts ranch flavor in my future.....mmmm.