What Gets On Your Nerves 2, The Thread Without a Witty Subtitle!

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Re: What Gets On Your Nerves 2, The Thread Without a Witty Subtitle!

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

eabaker wrote:Considering the sheer number of movies produced every year with white men in the leads, I think you're mistaken in thinking that anything close to all of them receive that kind of scrutiny in any serious way.
I'm sure in the dark bowels of Tumblr/Facebook/Reddit/Instagram you'll find that every piece of media has at least a handful of random comments criticizing them, regardless of white leads.

The issue here is the disparity in magnitude. I saw more news outlets get buttmad over Johnny Storm/Rue/Annie being black than they were about Moses/The Prince of Persia/Motoko being white. I mean, Christ, people knee-jerked and nerdraged when the first trailer for Into the Spiderverse dropped because they thought Peter Parker was turned black, even though the character portrayed has always been African-Hispanic.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Speaking of kotm remember how people flipped when Eliza Gonzalez said Godzilla vs Kong was the stroy of two girls.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Watching Demon Slayer as of now and the CGI doubles are starting to get on my nerves. They look great in action scenes but now they're being used for such mundane actions as walking and crying. What happened?

And no, before you ask, I'm not a hater of CG anime. One of the first non-Pokemon anime I ever watched was Knights of Sidonia and I loved it!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I usually know what I'm going to get when I see certain people reply on certain posts when I get email notifications. In particular Monsterverse posts. I know this guy will reply with positivity or negativity. Or this guy is a gatekeeper or that person hates Shin for a strange reason. But its unbelievable to me how some of the same people year after year after year only reply in the most sarcastic, condescending, and smug manner. I would think it would eventually get tiresome.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:41 pm I usually know what I'm going to get when I see certain people reply on certain posts when I get email notifications. In particular Monsterverse posts. I know this guy will reply with positivity or negativity. Or this guy is a gatekeeper or that person hates Shin for a strange reason. But its unbelievable to me how some of the same people year after year after year only reply in the most sarcastic, condescending, and smug manner. I would think it would eventually get tiresome.
You'd be surprised. And I'll NEVER stop. Now stop being such a whiner you're not you when you're hungry.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’m out of snickers, to think of it...

What gets on my nerves? The dreadful feeling I get when someone replies to my post and I see the notification on the bell icon. God I hate my emotions sometimes.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:46 am I’m out of snickers, to think of it...

What gets on my nerves? The dreadful feeling I get when someone replies to my post and I see the notification on the bell icon. God I hate my emotions sometimes.
BOO

:lol:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:15 pm Watching Demon Slayer as of now and the CGI doubles are starting to get on my nerves. They look great in action scenes but now they're being used for such mundane actions as walking and crying. What happened?

And no, before you ask, I'm not a hater of CG anime. One of the first non-Pokemon anime I ever watched was Knights of Sidonia and I loved it!
Also related to Demon Slayer, I just started my watch of the last 7 episodes and this one got me super ticked off.
Spoiler:
Somehow, the spider Kizuki survived getting beheaded just so the series' Marty Stu could come in and kill him. The one opportunity to show that Tanjiro has grown in power over the course of the series just got wasted just for Giyu to be an overpowered b-word and use his stupid deus-ex-machina powers.
Don't get me wrong, I still love this series but the writers better not try this BS again.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

goji89 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:35 am
VoyagerGoji wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:46 am I’m out of snickers, to think of it...

BOO

:lol:
Aaaaah! :(
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The forced objectivism around pieces of media.

You can't just DISLIKE or LIKE a thing anymore, no, that's reasonable. You have to POINT OUT IN DETAIL WHY IT IS OBJECTIVELY/MORALLY/TECHINCALLY WRONG TO LIKE THIS MOVIE or THIS IS THE BEST ADAPTION BECAUSE IT DOES THIS AND NOT THIS LIKE THAT BAD ORIGINAL.

Like, I fucking hate Zack Snyder's film making but if we really have to go to insulting his choice of aspect ratio to come up with reason to insult the Snyder Cut, that's pathetic. Just fucking say you don't like how he adapts the characters. Christ.

Added in 1 minute 19 seconds:
While I'm on this tract against modern media criticism: the lampshade criticism.

Not so much. hey this trope wasn't used adequately, just "THEY USED A CLICHE, BAD MOVIE DINNNNNNNNNNNG"

Like, y'all realize tropes are tools?

And that just using them is as stupid as yelling at an artist for using a paintbrush instead of pencils?

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:17 pm
Like, I fucking hate Zack Snyder's film making but if we really have to go to insulting his choice of aspect ratio to come up with reason to insult the Snyder Cut, that's pathetic. Just fucking say you don't like how he adapts the characters. Christ.
I really don't understand people's objection to his wanting the movie released in Academy Standard Aspect Ratio. Like, it's not inherently any more or less valid than any other aspect ratio choice; it just happens to be how he wanted to compose images.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:17 pm The forced objectivism around pieces of media.

You can't just DISLIKE or LIKE a thing anymore, no, that's reasonable. You have to POINT OUT IN DETAIL WHY IT IS OBJECTIVELY/MORALLY/TECHINCALLY WRONG TO LIKE THIS MOVIE or THIS IS THE BEST ADAPTION BECAUSE IT DOES THIS AND NOT THIS LIKE THAT BAD ORIGINAL.
Pretty much. I mean, I do think you can judge something objectively through various criteria, and that you can separate personal enjoyment from that type of judgement, but a movie can never be *imperically* good or bad like some people like to suggest.

I don't mind when people are unapologetic with their opinions, as long as their being thoughtful about it - what I can't stand is pretentious arrogance, like what you describe here.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:34 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:17 pm The forced objectivism around pieces of media.

Pretty much. I mean, I do think you can judge something objectively through various criteria, and that you can separate personal enjoyment from that type of judgement, but a movie can never be *imperically* good or bad like some people like to suggest.

I don't mind when people are unapologetic with their opinions, as long as their being thoughtful about it - what I can't stand is pretentious arrogance, like what you describe here.
Yeah, I mean, one can objectively judge whether or not a shot conforms to basic compositional guidelines, for example - but, if it fails to conform to those guidelines, whether it did so with purpose or not, and then whether or not it fulfilled that purpose and remained aesthetically satisfying is still inherently subjective. And whether or not a beat pays off later in the plot can be determined more or less objectively, but whether it paid off in a satisfying way is subjective. And then, if we're weighing shot composition versus plot structure, how much weight each one carries in the analysis is wildly subjective.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:05 pm
eabaker wrote:Considering the sheer number of movies produced every year with white men in the leads, I think you're mistaken in thinking that anything close to all of them receive that kind of scrutiny in any serious way.
I'm sure in the dark bowels of Tumblr/Facebook/Reddit/Instagram you'll find that every piece of media has at least a handful of random comments criticizing them, regardless of white leads.

The issue here is the disparity in magnitude. I saw more news outlets get buttmad over Johnny Storm/Rue/Annie being black than they were about Moses/The Prince of Persia/Motoko being white. I mean, Christ, people knee-jerked and nerdraged when the first trailer for Into the Spiderverse dropped because they thought Peter Parker was turned black, even though the character portrayed has always been African-Hispanic.
Yes I don't understand why some people get mad if you change the characters around a bit. I like things being different on occasion. If you don't like something in a movie that much just don't see it. Otherwise let us enjoy it.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

This image. Not even going to explain why.
Resized Image
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 pm This image. Not even going to explain why.
Resized Image
My parents are both 65 and got vaccinated fully. It’s been a big relief on both their and my own life that they’re okay. While there may be a chance in the future the situation could change, it was such a relief for me to know even if they get it in the future it won’t be a death sentence.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I'm ready for everyone to get vaccinated and life to go back to normal and no more masks. So tired of wearing a mask. I'm easily congested so its tough to breath sometimes. I think I read that 1 in 6 adults in the US are now vaccinated which is good. I want to be able to have a nice time with friends on the 4th of July.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:48 am I'm ready for everyone to get vaccinated and life to go back to normal and no more masks. So tired of wearing a mask. I'm easily congested so its tough to breath sometimes. I think I read that 1 in 6 adults in the US are now vaccinated which is good. I want to be able to have a nice time with friends on the 4th of July.
Got my first dose Monday, second dose is middle of April. I'm excited to have it behind me; I never want to go through having it again.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I'm glad people are getting vaccinated but to me it's just a placebo put in place to ease the people. I'm not on a conspiracy trip or nothing because I hope people get vaccinated but it just seems it's a placebo at the moment. People have died after getting it, not insinuating anything here just be careful with what you put into your bodies some may not take it and ithers will feel nothing.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

goji89 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:58 am I'm glad people are getting vaccinated but to me it's just a placebo put in place to ease the people. I'm not on a conspiracy trip or nothing because I hope people get vaccinated but it just seems it's a placebo at the moment. People have died after getting it, not insinuating anything here just be careful with what you put into your bodies some may not take it and ithers will feel nothing.
Yes I'm not in any hurry to get it. But I will at some point probably after May. I have a relative (who's a healthy 34 year old) lie and say she was a teacher so she could get the vaccine early. Thought that was kind of messed up to jump ahead of a bunch of people who are either old or have pre-existing that need it first.
SpaceG92 wrote: