What Gets On Your Nerves 2, The Thread Without a Witty Subtitle!

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Futurian

Re: What Gets On Your Nerves 2, The Thread Without a Witty Subtitle!

Post by 3000 »

miguelnuva wrote:This current trend in fiction that Heroes need to be dark and gritty anti heroes with an edge or villains to be interesting. I liked Boy scout Superman and Batman for what they are but I don't need Superman to act more like Batman.

I concur.

and it's completely possible to still have Superman to be an incredibly interesting character even if he IS the boy scout version.

DC needs to capitalize on the fact that alot of their heroes are very, very unique.
Member of TK Since 2006

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

3000 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:This current trend in fiction that Heroes need to be dark and gritty anti heroes with an edge or villains to be interesting. I liked Boy scout Superman and Batman for what they are but I don't need Superman to act more like Batman.

I concur.

and it's completely possible to still have Superman to be an incredibly interesting character even if he IS the boy scout version.

DC needs to capitalize on the fact that alot of their heroes are very, very unique.
Not a popular movie I know, but Batman vs Superman did the impossible for me. It actually made me relate to Superman and how he is a misunderstood guy who is trying to do the right thing. And after years of hearing how "scary" Batman is supposed to be, it actually made me scared of Batman.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

After having Kaiju A & B spoiled on FB via the SHMA Thailand Fan page, I have given up on those 2 and said fuck. I have begrudgingly spoiled myself to Kaiju A & B ...

In toy form ;). Ah see, ain't gona be that easy. All I am looking at is the toys because I KNOW they wont look as good as their on screen counter parts.

But again, Spoil/leak culture. That is all ...

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Living Corpse wrote: And after years of hearing how "scary" Batman is supposed to be, it actually made me scared of Batman.
Of course, it should be noted that Batman spent a good portion of that movie acting very out-of-character...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:
Living Corpse wrote: And after years of hearing how "scary" Batman is supposed to be, it actually made me scared of Batman.
Of course, it should be noted that Batman spent a good portion of that movie acting very out-of-character...
Depends on the Batman. There are continuities where he kills. And DC has said they wanna try not a cinematic universe, but a cinematic Multi-verse.

Added in 13 minutes 9 seconds:
GIGAN05 wrote:After having Kaiju A & B spoiled on FB via the SHMA Thailand Fan page, I have given up on those 2 and said fuck. I have begrudgingly spoiled myself to Kaiju A & B ...

In toy form ;). Ah see, ain't gona be that easy. All I am looking at is the toys because I KNOW they wont look as good as their on screen counter parts.

But again, Spoil/leak culture. That is all ...
YouTube keeps recomanding me a video that explains Shin-Gojira's origins and blah blah.

Like fuck off YouTube, if I want that spoiler I will seek it out myself. The movies only a few months away, if I really wanted it before the movie can surprise me I'd type it in the search bar.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Living Corpse wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:
Depends on the Batman. There are continuities where he kills. And DC has said they wanna try not a cinematic universe, but a cinematic Multi-verse.
Fair enough, but traditional Batman doesn't need to be a mass-murderer to scare criminals. Making him kill just feels lazy.

And DC almost needs to do a Multiverse, at this point. The current universe really shouldn't be the mainstream face of the company, at least not on its own.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The only thing that makes me made about a killing Batman is the impact of Under the Red hood is lost now.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Living Corpse wrote:Not a popular movie I know, but Batman vs Superman did the impossible for me. It actually made me relate to Superman and how he is a misunderstood guy who is trying to do the right thing. And after years of hearing how "scary" Batman is supposed to be, it actually made me scared of Batman.
Superman just being a genuinely well-intentioned person, despite (or even because of) his great power is actually hugely appealing. That, and he's a populist/journalist superhero, which is great.

The problem is it's easy to make that feel dated and authoritarian, especially if no one is bold enough to write beyond the notion that what's good is what is status quo. Superman at his best is my favorite superhero and an absolute pleasure to spend time with. There are a good four or five decades of Superman material I couldn't care less about, though, and unfortunately its those presentations -- authoritarian, out of touch -- that DC has continuously decided to put forth as the face of the character. The nadir for me is John Byrne's characterization that kicked off the late '80s reboot of the comics, along with multiple 2000s entries in the worst genre of all time: stories about why Superman is or is not still relevant (see the abominable "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?"). What a shitty and reductive starting place when writing any character. But it's where you put yourself when you spend decades associating the character with the conservative safeness of Boyscout-esque morality. Being a genuinely good person does not have to mean being a boring or unquestioning one.

Or -- and I'm about to anger some people, I'm sure -- Superman's trajectory as a fictional figure oddly mirrors Jesus' as a historical one. (I'm sorry! I'm not religious, but I find this a weirdly apt comparison among two recognized iconic figures.) Both begin as morally conscious populist figures, but at some point become so celebrated they became icons of the status quo, far removed from their original purposes and ideologies. It's a shame, because Golden Age Superman, along with later incarnations inspired by that take, and Jesus per his actual philosophies, are both pretty rad dudes.

There really were bits and pieces of a decent Superman scattered throughout at least Man of Steel (I still haven't seen BvS): the dedication to helping others, some flippant qualities when something's standing in his way (the little beat with the military at the end was great), etc., but they're wrapped up in such an implausibly dour film and crappy script that none of it mattered. Plus, you know, destruction and murder, which is probably not the best way to kick off the character.

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

While looking for deals on amiami, I find a figma miku append for $21, and the tamashii wave effect on discount for $9. What a deal, I thought. I buy them and wait for amiami to calculate the shipping cost.

$30.

WELP.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Rodan wrote:Or -- and I'm about to anger some people, I'm sure -- Superman's trajectory as a fictional figure oddly mirrors Jesus' as a historical one. (I'm sorry! I'm not religious, but I find this a weirdly apt comparison among two recognized iconic figures.) Both begin as morally conscious populist figures, but at some point become so celebrated they became icons of the status quo, far removed from their original purposes and ideologies. It's a shame, because Golden Age Superman, along with later incarnations inspired by that take, and Jesus per his actual philosophies, are both pretty rad dudes.
I don't really know or care very much about superheroes, Superman least of all, but I find this interpretation interesting, as I've read Superman's creators were actually Jewish, which informed a lot of things about his character (his being driven from his ancestral homeland, his values, etc.), so the Christ analogy is interesting. Someone with a little more study of comic books and religion under their belt than I have could probably make a case for both of those instances pointing to a trend of how Americans of European descent use and assimilate facets of Jewish culture and heritage, though I certainly couldn't take that line of analysis any further than "They're both populist heroes of Jewish origin that have been co-opted by American conservatism; maybe there's an underlying trend there" just going by what I know.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Pretty much any self-sacrificing hero can be made into a Christ analogy with little effort. Mothra, Ultraman and Gamera, giant monsters(!) can be made into Christ analogies.

I think people sometimes are reading too much into things, and I say this as a fan of Silent Hill.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Living Corpse wrote:Pretty much any self-sacrificing hero can be made into a Christ analogy with little effort. Mothra, Ultraman and Gamera, giant monsters(!) can be made into Christ analogies.

I think people sometimes are reading too much into things, and I say this as a fan of Silent Hill.
I'm actually not drawing a connection between the self-sacrificial angles at all, but rather the idea of a radical populist figure being repurposed into an icon of the conservative status-quo. The sacrificial angle is, in addition, part of the religious myth. I'm not religious, so in my mind Jesus was simply a forward thinking religious/political dissident whose philosophies wound up on the wrong side of the state. If there's a case to be made for highlighting a sacrifice, it would simply be as an ideological martyr.

I'm talking about the Jesus who, by all accounts, threw a shitfit about money changers at religious temples, but who didn't live to see the religion he spawned later be associated with institutions that hoarded money and power, and, in recent times, be co-opted by a nearly plutocratic right. I'm talking about a Superman who began life as a power fantasy for two underclass Jewish artists, and who frequently skirted the law and standard ethics to combat villains mostly amounting to crooked business owners and other small-timers taking advantage of the lower class, who managed become the face of paternalistic, unquestioning conservative authority for decades to come, and whose stories (shamefully) did their best to shy away from anything resembling real-world politics.

Both figures -- Superman as a fictional one and Jesus as a historical one -- begin by combating forces they'd later be associated with as icons. Also, I think actual Superman and actual Jesus are both rad as fuck (as in, the original conception of Superman and Jesus as a historical/philosophical figure), but a lot of what they've been used for is awful.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Friend wants to skype with me. Okay! Just give me a few minutes to do something important! A few minutes later I come back. I tell him I'm back and wait for him to say he's ready to skype. Waiting... Ask him when he'll be ready. "Oh, I was watching a YouTube video." Well then you must not want to skype with me that badly then?!

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Facebook is getting on my nerves so much recently, not just Facebook as a whole, but mostly some of the shit that's posted there, particularly the ones about unpopular opinions such as: "I am apart of a small percentage of people who hasn't seen *insert popular movie here*." or "Am I the only person who doesn't like *insert popular thing here*?". I remember when it was two or three days after The Revenant was released and someone already made a picture saying "Am I the only person who hasn't seen this movie?" with the movie poster in the picture. The movie hasn't even been out for a week yet, who the fuck cares? I'm sure a number of people hasn't seen it at the time.

There are also the posts saying "A naked woman can get a million likes, how many likes for a hero?" or "Share if you grew up with this nostalgic console.", I see these posts so often and I just get tired of seeing them. The only reason I still use Facebook is because it's the only way I can talk to some of my friends and family, otherwise I'd just get rid of it.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I found a post on Reddit that perfectly sums up my frustrating "relationship" with my family.

I know that feeling, Dzmagoon.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Living Corpse wrote:Depends on the Batman. There are continuities where he kills. And DC has said they wanna try not a cinematic universe, but a cinematic Multi-verse.
What separates a cinematic universe from a cinematic multi-verse, if I may?
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

My latest troublemaker/stalker/"troll" is so...so....

BORING.

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

This was a previous thing but having low creativity or not being able to do as much with said creativity due to whatever reasons. As someone who wants to write...it frustrates me.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Getting today started and i've been pretty unproductive sp far. I hate that.
Member of TK Since 2006

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Ryguy wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Depends on the Batman. There are continuities where he kills. And DC has said they wanna try not a cinematic universe, but a cinematic Multi-verse.
What separates a cinematic universe from a cinematic multi-verse, if I may?
Multiple continuities. with a Cinematic Universe you just have one Universe one singular canon. with a Cinematic Multi-Verse you can have multiple continuities and storylines that don't take place in the same canon but totally different universes.

How that will work in Live-Action Cinematic Form I do not know.
Godzilla