General Cryptid Topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
imperious reptilius
Monarch Researcher

Re: General Cryptid Topic

Post by imperious reptilius »

Cryptozoology is a tricky field for me.

On one hand, no I don't believe many of the sighted creatures exist, and if they do aren't earthly creatures since many of them outright defy what we know about science and nature.

On the other hand, I do concede there are many MANY species we don't know about, and some that might've gone extinct within the last century or so. That being said if that is the case, I believe they're more a case of a large species of Pangolin than living sauropod.
"You don’t like your job, you don’t strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That’s the American way."
-Homer Simpson

Now the gentle winds, beckons through the leaves~ As autumn colors fall~

Karmataurus
Monarch Researcher

Post by Karmataurus »

I'm extremely mixed on the whole cryptid thing. When I was younger I was an extreme believer in all things Bigfoot or Loch Ness. Now that I'm older, I understand that most of that stuff just doesn't add up. You need a minimum of what, 50 Nessies to keep the population stable, assuming that they don't suffer from inbreeding. Surely we'd see things like that.

And then there are things like the 'Lizardman' or the Puerto Rican variant of the Chupacabra. No way in hell either of those are real entities.

At the same time, I think in the past some of these creatures might have existed. I'm 75% certain that the beast in the 'Patterson-Gimlin' film is a real animal and not a man in a suit, and I'm 90% sure the creature in the Doyle film isn't just a dog or a fox. But if either of those creatures still exist? Highly unlikely, if you ask me.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

My whole stance on Bigfoot, while the concept scares the ever living fuck out of me, is that people who 'see' a Sasquatch describe a creature the same way as someone 1,000 miles in bum fuck no where does. Now did they see a TV show? Possibly. But then you find out this stuff has been going on since the 1920s. That brings up the question, what the hell did the people in the '20s have to gain from describing a giant ape?

So, short version: I think it maybe real, because, despite some pranksters and people looking to get famous, they're seeing a creature with the same physical description.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

Here's my theory why we haven't found bigfoot yet.

I think the government is covering it up, I watched this bigfoot documentary on youtube a while ago, and they talked about a species of bird thought to be extinct and when it was rediscovered, this logging company was put out of business for good, now imagine if something like Bigfoot was discovered to be real, that would probably put ALL logging companies out of business and so to prevent that, the government is hiding all evidence from us.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1992 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imperious reptilius
Monarch Researcher

Post by imperious reptilius »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:Here's my theory why we haven't found bigfoot yet.

I think the government is covering it up, I watched this bigfoot documentary on youtube a while ago, and they talked about a species of bird thought to be extinct and when it was rediscovered, this logging company would put out of business for good, now imagine if something like Bigfoot was discovered to be real, that would probably put ALL logging companies out of business and so to prevent that, the government is hiding all evidence from us.
...Unless bigfoot's a sapient species (which opens a can of worm in of itself), I don't see how the discovery of a new large primate species would close EVERY major logging company. It would be protected sure, but not to those extremes.
"You don’t like your job, you don’t strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That’s the American way."
-Homer Simpson

Now the gentle winds, beckons through the leaves~ As autumn colors fall~

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

imperious reptilius wrote:...Unless bigfoot's a sapient species (which opens a can of worm in of itself), I don't see how the discovery of a new large primate species would close EVERY major logging company. It would be protected sure, but not to those extremes.
Perhaps you're right, maybe that was a bit exaggerated.....

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Sorry for the double post but thought this would be interesting to see, this is a video of what claims is a living Dodo caught on camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4mJtj7KJWU

What do you guys think? Real or fake?

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Too many things just seem off to me.

That lizard looks like he was placed there to pose.
The lizard never even acknowledged the bird.
Is that species of lizard even nocturnal?
Lighting on bird seemed off as he walked in front of cam.
And as a YouTuber mentioned, Dodo's only lived on the Mauritius island.

It's a good video, but I'm leaning toward fake. Would be nice to find one alive though.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ladies and gentleman I introduce you to the Flatwoods Monster:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatwoods_monster
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The South Carolina Lizard Man has been spotted again.
http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article30043794.html
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Nessie, I believe something is in the lake. Not a plesiosaur (all based on a fake photo anyway) but I am intrigued by the Greenland Shark theory Jeremy Wade has proposed. Greenlands fit the size and general description of most Nessie sightings. They also can live in frigid waters and with limited food supplies. The are extremely reclusive and only a handful have ever been seen in the wild.

I do definitely believe in Sasquatch and other similar animals. Footprint, unidentifiable hairs, and over a thousand credible eye witness accounts, there's just too much evidence in my eyes to discount it, but the one thing that truly sells me are the vocal recordings. Especially intriguing is the Orang Pendek which has been sighted by many credible eye witnesses including several respected scientists.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Famed sculptor Jean St. Jean is starting up his own Cryptid action figure line! CreatuReplica( there IS an online site ), & the first wave will contain Sasquatch, Yeti, Rougarou( think Loup-Garou )& the HorrorHound( not so sure about this one...). BBTS is taking orders at $40 a pop, but if you order directly from the CreatuReplica site, they are $35 each, & you get a FREE T-Shirt if you order all 4. Mr. St. John says that DST may be distributing these as well, but it is not confirmed yet. I will be getting the Sasquatch, Yeti, & Rougarou for SURE. A prototype of another 'Squatch-like Cryptid, the Skookum, is also on display at the site. Check it out!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Bizarre creature photographed in the Mediterranean?

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/tourist-ca ... 09668.html
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

A QUESITON FOR BIG FOOT ENTUSIASTS OUT THERE.
(Sorry caps)
how does he stands in the ecosystem? in the florida area, or in the mountains?
is there enoughtfood for a big omnivore hominid?

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

Janjira-York wrote:A QUESITON FOR BIG FOOT ENTUSIASTS OUT THERE.
(Sorry caps)
how does he stands in the ecosystem? in the florida area, or in the mountains?
is there enoughtfood for a big omnivore hominid?
I've heard stories of sasquatch killing wild pigs and deer in wooded areas, on the topic of food. I haven't looked too far into the proposed eating habits of sasquatch, however.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, bears and pre-agricultural humans did just fine in the North American woods. There's no reason to think a sasquatch wouldn't eat the same things they do/did.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

JAGzilla wrote:Well, bears and pre-agricultural humans did just fine in the North American woods. There's no reason to think a sasquatch wouldn't eat the same things they do/did.
...as long as MEAT is part of their diet. Otherwise, no...

DinoMaster
G-Force Personnel

Post by DinoMaster »

Alrightie, while this is a vast necro, I have something that fits in with worth bringing it up. While working on a story, I delved back in to the world of cryptozoology and dug up a fairly unknown cryptid that is one of my favorites: the Emela Ntouka.

Most descriptions tend to have the same features amongst the variety of tribes that have seen them across Africa, from Nigeria to the Congo. They are either brown or grey skinned, with a long horn similar to ivory than that of a rhino's, and a long thick tail that helps it swim. They are also extremely territorial, having been known to kill elephants and hippos in rage before hand. While not seen by the civilized world in a long time, people living in the area have still seen them, and two to three statues from different countries have been produced that are strinkingly similar to one another.

Now, most would comment on the fact that, minus the frill, it looks remarkably like Centrosaurus or other centrosaurine ceratopsian species of dinosaur. And with the Mokele Mbembe, it would almost seem to make sense that it would be a dinosaur. This falls apart however, when looking more in depth at it. No ceratopsian has ever been found in Africa, and the whole likelyhood of a race of unknown dinosaur surviving 65 million years in the depths of the Congo seems unlikely in the highest degree. One could point out that there are animals that had not changed body plans for quite a long time, some almost the same as their 30 million year old ancestors, which leads me to the true identity of the beast .

The Emela-Ntouka is in fact one of the last surviving members of the Arsinoitheriidae.

Now, one may ask, what the heck is Arsinoitheriidae? To inform you, it is a fairly little known family of primitive mammals, which vanished in the Late Eocene. The most iconic member of the family is it's namesake, Arsinoitherium.

Now, there are a few things that do differ from the Emela Ntouka, such as the double set of horns or the lack of a broad tail. But it's fairly rare in nature to have a double horned animal without having a relative with only one horn, such as in Rhinos. The horns of Arsinoitherm are also actually solid bone, creating this neat appearance for a skull. As for the tail, Arsinoitherium itself had a fairly long tail for a mammal, and was considered to be something in the neighborhood of the hippo. So, a single horned vairety wouldn't be too far out of the question. I could see it preferring more freshwater variety than the esutaries that Arsinoitherium fossils are found in, and with the drying of the Tethys Sea, being an isolated survivior while the rest of the little known animals died out. The long tail could just be adaptation for it's environment over the millions of year, creating the closest equivalent to the dinosaurs the mammals have come up with.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

This is a cryptid I find the most likely to exist.

The High-Finned Sperm Whale.
Spoiler:
What I think it is that it's a form of atavism. It's a evolutionary throwback that gives a modern day animal an ancestral trait which disappeared from species it evolved from generations before.

Such examples include the hind legs on snakes, whales & dolphins, extra toes on horses and Chickens with teeth.

But perhaps maybe a mutation who knows.....

That's my guess.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

megalodon
your source of self destruction