What Fictional Character Do You Find Attractive 3.0

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Konica
Monarch Researcher

Re: What Fictional Character Do You Find Attractive 3.0

Post by Konica »

Jomei wrote:Setting aside personal tastes, I'm not sure how anything said about a drawing could be creepy or pervy. These just seem like normative judgments to me, and they also fail to take seriously that all of these characters are fictional constructs. Anime in particular has an autonomous reality instead of imitating real life. To take anything said or thought about these autonomously fictional beings as problematic somehow is to make the mistake of transferring them to real life existence, I think. Again, remember that the maid fantasy can exist only in fiction, then extend the logic.

In finding the characters "infinitely more interesting," there's a process of identification going on, I think--you see something of yourself in the gay male characters, and that's great, as people ought to identify with those different from themselves. But even for hetero women, it's not necessarily about desiring the males--or at least it's not all about that, and it doesn't transfer to a real life desire for gay men. The same thing is true of a lot of moe series, too, I think. When a male watches K-On! or some similar moe anime, he's not usually thinking about having sex with the characters. Rather, there's something pleasant about their lives, perhaps something innocent or even feminine not allowed to males normally, and he finds himself simultaneously attracted to (in this complex, pseudo-sexual manner) and identifying with the girls. When I post that I'm attracted to Mio Akiyama, I do find her attractive as a female character, but it's also--and perhaps more so--that I identify with aspects of her personality: the shy-ness, etc. It's neither 100% LEWD nor 100% without sexuality--and yet there's not a clear 1:1 relationship with real life sexuality, either, even if it's fraught with sexual intrigue. It's all dependent upon the fictionalized context.

And here I go, after I said I wouldn't get into it. :oops:
The reason I think some of the posts are creepy isn't necessarily because they are about fictional characters. Rather, its the language and the context of those specific posts. Also, creepy doesn't necessarily mean dangerous or bad, it just means it makes me uncomfortable.

But yeah, I get what you're saying. And I agree. You've clearly put some thought into this ;)

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Konica wrote: You've clearly put some thought into this ;)
I've read a couple books on the subject. It's kind of a hot topic in visual media studies, among other fields.

Also, Godzilla is super moe.

XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Young Guy wrote:This thread's kinda creepy....
:roll:
Jomei wrote: https://40.media.tumblr.com/7d4335eda0b ... o1_400.jpg

I really don't understand people's discomfort with mild eroticism in drawn images. I think it stems from a naive, overly-simplistic equation of enjoyment of fiction with real life desires. There's also a history in western culture of being particularly sensitive about sexuality in drawn images. See: comics codes of the past, which were (as Tamaki Saito observes) obsessed with the idea that drawn images should not be sexually attractive. As a Chinese cartoons fan, I've read quite a bit on the subject and find it fascinating, but, given the "this is creepy" comments, I'm not sure the average TK denizen is ready for a discussion of sexuality beyond simple dichotomies.

In short, I disagree to some extent with Konica's disclaimer that this thread has nothing to do with sexuality, but she's on to an important point that it's not about people's real life sexual desires. Without getting too much into it, I'll just point out the common wisdom in Japan, which is that the maid character, as a moe archetype, doesn't really work in 3D, as the reality of the maid's work undermines the fiction. Edit: To use another extremely common example, take the yaoi manga (more commonly known as BL or "boys love" these days) that are extremely popular with female otaku in Japan. There's a sexual enjoyment in these stories, but it's hard to draw a direct equation to any real-life desire. Where does a heterosexual woman fit into these erotic/romantic stories of beautiful gay men? Only in a simultaneous process of identification and objectification that has nothing to do with real life gay men. :lol:
Extend that logic further and try to understand enjoyment of the images and the fiction themselves.
How about a TL;DR version?

Person: "How can you be attracted to a character who isn't real?"

LC: "Well how can you feel sad when a character dies in a game or animated anything?"

Person: "Well because I like their personality and can relate to them."

LC: "Exactly."

You can chalk a lot of characters up as just being drawings or polygons, no one's gonna argue that they aren't, they don't exist. But that's a real disservice to what the creators do to make you actually give a damn about the story and characters, they have to give them personalities, voice actors have to give them emotions, etc.

I mean if there's a personality you like in people in real life, sexually or otherwise, you're gonna like that same personality in a fictional character regardless if they are played by a actual person or just an image with a real person's voice attached to them.
Jomei wrote:
Konica wrote: You've clearly put some thought into this ;)
I've read a couple books on the subject. It's kind of a hot topic in visual media studies, among other fields.

Also, Godzilla is super moe.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/5b5f657384b4 ... o1_500.png
Hedorah smoking one is funny, and I recall the suit actor playing Baragon in GMK being a really small lady.

Also never post that again.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Living Corpse wrote:You can chalk a lot of characters up as just being drawings or polygons, no one's gonna argue that they aren't, they don't exist. But that's a real disservice to what the creators do to make you actually give a damn about the story and characters, they have to give them personalities, voice actors have to give them emotions, etc.

I mean if there's a personality you like in people in real life, sexually or otherwise, you're gonna like that same personality in a fictional character regardless if they are played by a actual person or just an image with a real person's voice attached to them
See, if you raise this question, the topic gets into seriously confusing media theory and questions about what constitutes "reality" and what we mean when we use those words. To keep from getting tl;dr, the only difference between our everyday realities and the realities we experience as fiction is our awareness of degrees of mediation. But it's that very awareness of media (anime, film, vidya games) as mediated experiences that also allows enjoyment separate from what we typically think of as "reality."

In other words, fiction is just as real as real life in some ways, but our awareness of it as a mediated experience also means it's not necessarily the same as "real" life. (which, again, is its own kind of "fiction," another mediated experience, but that's the confusing pill to swallow)

And anyway, I disagree with the last part largely because anime in particular creates character types that don't exist in real life. There's some overlap, sure, but the "tsundere", for example, only truly exists in 2D. Though it's not always the case, most film and TV tries to imitate reality to some extent, whereas anime, as I said before, often constitutes an autonomous reality with its own internal logic that's not trying to parrot "real" reality. Think of how many people listed Kill la Kill characters in this thread. Kill la Kill is more an amalgamation of anime itself than a reflection of real types of people, places, and events. It's precisely because it's a completely fictional substance from top to bottom that makes it so enjoyable. And while I may be an ass man in reality, that's only incidental in my appreciate of OUR QUEEN Satsuki; her true appeal comes from elements that are inherently fictional.

Enough meta talk, though. Let's enjoy some lines.

Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Well of course anime has over the top personalities. So do western things, fuck we have a man dressed as a bat in our media and people relate to him because he lost his parents, he feels the world is an unjust place and takes matters into his own hands to punish some very bad people, things we sometimes feel and wish we could do.

You're making it sound like every personality in anime doesn't exist in real life. While that's true with some, there's still real ones that get used in anime. Not every anime is this over the top cartoon, some are surprisingly more subtle and closer to reality. Only difference between those animes and live action films is one is drawn and the other isn't.

And off topic but I always found that excuse to not watch anime funny. "It's too weird". Right, cause a guy dress as a bat chasing a murderous clone isn't weird? :lol:

Konica
Monarch Researcher

Post by Konica »

Speaking of yaoi...

Every character in this show is pretty gr8.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Living Corpse wrote:You're making it sound like every personality in anime doesn't exist in real life. While that's true with some, there's still real ones that get used in anime. Not every anime is this over the top cartoon, some are surprisingly more subtle and closer to reality. Only difference between those animes and live action films is one is drawn and the other isn't.
I'm giving you a really simplified explanation with a couple example illustrations of concepts. Even character types that are closer to every day reality, though, are drawn entities, occupying fictional frameworks. And part of the point is that these things are attractive in and of themselves. Contrary to your concern that I'm diminishing the importance of fiction, I think what I'm saying elevates it. It's not just an imitation or substitute for reality; it's desirable in its own right and sometimes even preferable.

Anywayyyyyyy everyone thinks I'm crazy now that I've started these Lacanian ramblings... so I'll just say Konica is right that Barakamon characters are the best.

GodzillaLord
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaLord »

I have no idea how to post imagery yet these are characters i find quite shapely.

Seven of Nine (Star Trek Voyager)
B'Ellana Toores (Star Trek Voyager)
Deanna Troi (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Kira Nerys (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

Damn, Star trek was good at making dames.
"I learned whence Cthulhu first came, and why half the great temporary stars of history had flared forth."
GodzillaLord wrote:
Birdman wrote:Do you like what you see?.
No. Given that the majority of Godzilla kaiju aren't sentient and are essentially just large animals, that's a little bit messed up. "Shrug", i digress do what you like, but i don't need the information.

Konica
Monarch Researcher

Post by Konica »

GodzillaLord wrote:I have no idea how to post imagery yet these are characters i find quite shapely.

Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

hmmm, yes, "shapely". Gotta love those polygons.

GodzillaLord
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaLord »

Konica wrote:
GodzillaLord wrote:I have no idea how to post imagery yet these are characters i find quite shapely.

Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

hmmm, yes, "shapely". Gotta love those polygons.

http://artist-3d.com/free_3d_models/upl ... -Croft.jpg
I mean the 2013 one, jesus that's terrying
"I learned whence Cthulhu first came, and why half the great temporary stars of history had flared forth."
GodzillaLord wrote:
Birdman wrote:Do you like what you see?.
No. Given that the majority of Godzilla kaiju aren't sentient and are essentially just large animals, that's a little bit messed up. "Shrug", i digress do what you like, but i don't need the information.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

M.U.T.O. wrote:Out of curiosity, I looked up Skullgirls just to see what the heck it was ('cos LC seems to like it a lot).
> Parasoul
Thanks, LC...
Spoiler:

;)

1tisoygoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by 1tisoygoji »

Misae Sagara from Clannad is quite attractive.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

deleted
Last edited by F4ZaTE_X on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Living Corpse wrote:
M.U.T.O. wrote:Out of curiosity, I looked up Skullgirls just to see what the heck it was ('cos LC seems to like it a lot).
> Parasoul
Thanks, LC...

;)
CUUURRRSEE YOOOOOOUUUUU!

In all honesty, though, *wink*
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Just wanted to see if this works, my waifu!
Last edited by GodzillaFreak99 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:Just wanted to see if this works, my waifu!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 2227923887
You're waifu a shitty url

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Jomei wrote:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 2227923887
You're waifu a shitty url
Dammit all!

Edit: fixed.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

So many waifu posts.
Last edited by F4ZaTE_X on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

http://awilson92.50webs.com/Nico%20Robin.jpg
Robin is hot but I prefer Nami and Boa Hancock.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

The cute is too much... help me, TK.... :oops: :oops: