The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Re: Paleontology Thread

Post by NSZ »

Kaijunator wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:What dinosaurs would be most useful to wage war with? If you thought T. rex, then think again: http://www.tor.com/2015/08/17/one-two-t ... -dino-war/
I think a swarm of Meganula is what I would use for war. They are actual bugs.
Actually, they're fictional.

Meganeura on the other hand...
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

NSZ wrote:
Kaijunator wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:What dinosaurs would be most useful to wage war with? If you thought T. rex, then think again: http://www.tor.com/2015/08/17/one-two-t ... -dino-war/
I think a swarm of Meganula is what I would use for war. They are actual bugs.

I could've sworn I have a specimen of Meganula at my local natural history museum...
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Kaijunator wrote:
NSZ wrote:

I could've sworn I have a specimen of Meganula at my local natural history museum...
If it's a dragonfly, then it's Meganeura.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

A bump for 2004.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

A new genus of Sauropod from South Africa, Pulanesaura - https://matthewbonnan.wordpress.com/201 ... opod-kind/

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

We need more sauropods! This is a good 'un.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Im midway through this book. its fucking great.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Seeing that I'm heading to New Mexico soon, I'd like to let y'all know I plan to visit Ghost Ranch while I'm there. It's the home of several dinosaur fossils, like Coelophysis.

EDIT: Currently jumping up and down with joy; we booked spots on a Paleontology tour!
</dinosaurs>
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Vatarian wrote:So has there been any more conclusive news on Spinosaurus? I heard a lot of heresay about the quadropedal stance being B.S and related back-and-forth.
Short answer: We need more fossils

Slightly longer answer:
Old post, but right now, the most universally accepted reconstruction of Spinosaurus posture would be this:

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Largest carnivorousness Dinosaur ever found in Australia dubbed Lighting Claw.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/ ... -carnivore
Godzilla

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

A juvenile Allosaurus Skeleton is on sale in the UK. It would be an awesome living room decoration, and one hell of a conversation starter.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rare-a ... &ocid=iehp
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I understand many Theropods were probably feathered but this penchant for artists to cover gigantic predators like T.Rex or Allosaurus in them is getting a little annoying. All the major large Theropod skin impressions we known show absolutely no sign of feathers what so ever. Sure feathers in mating season is highly probable bit many modern artists go way overboard with it. Even the smaller predators it's quite possible that at least the heads were naked.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I understand many Theropods were probably feathered but this penchant for artists to cover gigantic predators like T.Rex or Allosaurus in them is getting a little annoying. All the major large Theropod skin impressions we known show absolutely no sign of feathers what so ever. Sure feathers in mating season is highly probable bit many modern artists go way overboard with it. Even the smaller predators it's quite possible that at least the heads were naked.
Not to be a stick in the mud, but what about Yutyrannus?
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

It's only like 20ft isn't it that's still relatively small. But an animal as huge as T.Rex or Giganotosaurus, being heavily feathered would be counter productive wouldn't it. There's a reason rhinos and elephants are so sparsely furred. Heavy feathering in juveniles of course is highly likely as is display plumage in mating season. It's just some artists I feel go way overboard with it. Also as far as we know at least the larger Ceratosaurians were almost completely devoid of visible feathers.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:It's only like 20ft isn't it that's still relatively small. But an animal as huge as T.Rex or Giganotosaurus, being heavily feathered would be counter productive wouldn't it. There's a reason rhinos and elephants are so sparsely furred. Heavy feathering in juveniles of course is highly likely as is display plumage in mating season. It's just some artists I feel go way overboard with it. Also as far as we know at least the larger Ceratosaurians were almost completely devoid of visible feathers.
Maybe the feathers helped them camouflage? Maybe they didn't blend well with the environment and the feathers were used help blend in much better?
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

I wonder if you guys could help me. I'm trying to find this documentary I watched years ago but can't remember what it was called. My memories of it are vague but I remember it had a scene where a big cat killed a glyptodont.

EDIT: I found it. It's called Wild New World, or Prehistoric America if you live in the US.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Birdman wrote:I wonder if you guys could help me. I'm trying to find this documentary I watched years ago but can't remember what it was called. My memories of it are vague but I remember it had a scene where a big cat killed a glyptodont.

EDIT: I found it. It's called Wild New World, or Prehistoric America if you live in the US.
I have that on DVD.

Also, I see your point Tyrant_Lizard_King. I thought Yutyrannus was areound 30 feet long. Go figure. I kinda agree with you that the larger predators are less likely to be covered in feathers. But I think some larger therapod be covered in small feathers in some areas, mainly the tyrannosaurids.

Resized Image
Last edited by gigan72 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rather large image

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:It's only like 20ft isn't it that's still relatively small. But an animal as huge as T.Rex or Giganotosaurus, being heavily feathered would be counter productive wouldn't it. There's a reason rhinos and elephants are so sparsely furred. Heavy feathering in juveniles of course is highly likely as is display plumage in mating season. It's just some artists I feel go way overboard with it. Also as far as we know at least the larger Ceratosaurians were almost completely devoid of visible feathers.
Yutyrannus is 30 feet long, actually; only 10 feet shorter than Sue, the largest known Tyrannosaurus. So it's not all that pathetic next to Tyrannosaurus. Not to mention Hell Creek's environment was only relatively subtropical and had a ample amount of percipitation, so it's not like a feathered T.rex would boil in Hell Creek. :p

And a lot of people overestimate how cold the Yixian was in comparison to Hell Creek; the most accurate comparison would be to think of Hell Creek as Florida and the Yixian as Virginia. The Yixian's average yearly temperature was 10 degrees Celsius, similar to the Mid-West of the US. And generally people don't call the Mid-West US "cold" all year round. :p

On that other point;
Feathers don't work like hair, and the two animals have vastly different builds, so the elephant/rhino comparison doesn't quite work.
The reason an elephant or rhino has sparse hair is because they're essentially big bricks of meat, bones and skin, which means it's more beneficial to have less fur because of their more compact surface area so they don't die from heatstroke, because funnily enough, mammals aren't all that efficient when it comes to dispersing heat.

Dinosaurs don't have that issue because they all have long tails and are generally not as brick-like as elephants, not to mention that dinosaurs most likely shared the same thermoregulatory methods as birds do. This is the one comparison that needs to die, because it's not accurate.

Also, even the ceratosaurs are being considered to have possibly had primitive feathers, thanks to discoveries like Kulindadromeus and Tianyulong. :p
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

You know what's awesome? In Dougal Dixon's alternative evolution pioneering book The New Dinosaurs he surmised that some Pterosaurs could have eventually evolved into land based forms that almost completely abandoned flight. With all the recent discoveries concerning Quetzalcoutlus and it's relatives it seems his theory may have had some weight behind it afterall.