The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Paleontology Thread

Post by MoarCrossovers »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Eh, I dont buy the beak hypothesis.

It’s sad the community and media is already acting like it’s confirmed when it’s literally just somebody saying “they MAY have had beaks”

I can’t wait for the complaints of “where are the beaks” on every piece of pale part ever now”

But in other news, it’s confirmed that Edmontosaurus, and maybe other hadrosaurs, had hoof like structures on their front legs
Eh... It was more like a giant nail, in reality. The bottom of the foot was still scales/skin, with the keratin structure covering the digits.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

That’s neat, thanks for the clarification
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Does anybody know how sauropods slept and where they put their necks when doing so? Because the only idea I can think of is that they put their necks, and maybe tail if they were tall enough, in between the gaps of the main branches as props before they slept standing.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Does anybody know how sauropods slept and where they put their necks when doing so? Because the only idea I can think of is that they put their necks, and maybe tail if they were tall enough, in between the gaps of the main branches as props before they slept standing.
Is it possible they slept curled up? Or were their bodies not that flexible?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Finally went to the new Sue exhibit recently with my family, and it was incredible. It was so much better with all of the context and world surrounding T. rex instead of just the skeleton itself.

Also the T. rex breath station is rank as fuck. According to a family member who is a nurse “it smells like wet gangrene”.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Does anybody know how sauropods slept and where they put their necks when doing so? Because the only idea I can think of is that they put their necks, and maybe tail if they were tall enough, in between the gaps of the main branches as props before they slept standing.
Is it possible they slept curled up? Or were their bodies not that flexible?
The smaller ones 40 feet and under could, but I don't think any over 60 could.

gottatalktothefake wrote:Finally went to the new Sue exhibit recently with my family, and it was incredible. It was so much better with all of the context and world surrounding T. rex instead of just the skeleton itself.

Also the T. rex breath station is rank as skreeonk. According to a family member who is a nurse “it smells like wet gangrene”.
That's interesting. I saw Sue back in 2000 when she was the centerpiece of the museum.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I would imagine they either slept standing up and could just unconsciously keep their necks and tails stable (sharks sleep while swimming and hippos sleeping underwater automatically surface to breath, so things like that are possible) or they lay down and kept their necks flat on the ground in front of them, if they were flexible enough to allow that. Either way, they likely slept in short naps, waking up frequently to check for predators, like giraffes do. Sleeping too deeply would be dangerous for an animal with a long, vulnerable neck and a heavy, ponderous body that couldn't have had very fast reaction times.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

JAGzilla wrote:I would imagine they either slept standing up and could just unconsciously keep their necks and tails stable (sharks sleep while swimming and hippos sleeping underwater automatically surface to breath, so things like that are possible) or they lay down and kept their necks flat on the ground in front of them, if they were flexible enough to allow that.
Except that sharks and hippos barely have necks. That and only some certain sauropods could conceivably lay down. A 90 ft long, but lightly built (it was only 12-15 tons) Dipodocus or a fairly small titanosaur like Saltasaurus might and a dwarf sauropod could. But an 80 ft long 35 ton Brontosaurus, that one 110 ft long 50 Apatosaurus from Oklahoma, and a 90-100 ft long, 90+ ton Alamosaurus can't because of how massivly built they were, especially Alamosaurus and any other large titanosaur for that matter. And Brachiosaurus certainly couldn't.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:I would imagine they either slept standing up and could just unconsciously keep their necks and tails stable (sharks sleep while swimming and hippos sleeping underwater automatically surface to breath, so things like that are possible) or they lay down and kept their necks flat on the ground in front of them, if they were flexible enough to allow that.
Except that sharks and hippos barely have necks.
So? I was just pointing out that some animals are capable of performing somewhat complex behaviors while asleep. Balancing a neck might be doable, too. I'll say you're probably right that large sauropods would've had a hard time lying down, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

As mentioned, they probably just slept standing up. If their necks evolved to hold themselves up all day, I don't think it's a stretch that they were able to hold them up while awake.

RIP Evan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Finally went to the new Sue exhibit recently with my family, and it was incredible. It was so much better with all of the context and world surrounding T. rex instead of just the skeleton itself.

Also the T. rex breath station is rank as skreeonk. According to a family member who is a nurse “it smells like wet gangrene”.
That's interesting. I saw Sue back in 2000 when she was the centerpiece of the museum.
Saw her in 2010 at her 10th anniversary. I think I lost all my photos though when my last hard drive crashed.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

SoggyNoodles2016

Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

How did Denversaurus become its own species again when we still have just the one skeleton with a pretty damaged skull? It was supposed to be an Edmontonia back in the 1990's and the 2000's, but it suddenly became it's own thing. How is that and don't we need more specimens to be sure of that?

SoggyNoodles2016

Rhedosaurus wrote:How did Denversaurus become its own species again when we still have just the one skeleton with a pretty damaged skull? It was supposed to be an Edmontonia back in the 1990's and the 2000's, but it suddenly became it's own thing. How is that and don't we need more specimens to be sure of that?
According to my brief research, it has too many distinct features of it's own to be one to one for Edmontia and it's stratigraphical postion places it as living after Edmonita, not around the same time as it would if it was a species.

RIP Evan.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:How did Denversaurus become its own species again when we still have just the one skeleton with a pretty damaged skull? It was supposed to be an Edmontonia back in the 1990's and the 2000's, but it suddenly became it's own thing. How is that and don't we need more specimens to be sure of that?
According to my brief research, it has too many distinct features of it's own to be one to one for Edmontia and it's stratigraphical postion places it as living after Edmonita, not around the same time as it would if it was a species.
But again. Considering how there is just one specimen with a damaged skull, don't we need more remains in much better shape to be sure?
Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So uh..did that "Sauropods have beaks" hypothesis go anywhere or is it in the trash?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

Rhedosaurus wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
But again. Considering how there is just one specimen with a damaged skull, don't we need more remains in much better shape to be sure?

Again, the fact they existed in two completely different time frames negates any possibility of the morphological differences not being enough.

There's a million year gap, by that point, they are different species, no matter how alike they are. It's like saying if there's any evidence Neovenator isn't just a species of Allosaurus

RIP Evan.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

tyrantgoji wrote:So uh..did that "Sauropods have beaks" hypothesis go anywhere or is it in the trash?
Well the theory hasn't gone anywhere if that's what you're asking. Something like that will need some more evidence and even then it would take time before the public accepts it.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147