The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Paleontology Thread

Post by Noble Saber »

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Totally loving the new Super-Saiyan Amargasaurus cousin.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

A new species of oviraptoroid found in Mongolia has been named and described as Gobiraptor.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 144454.htm

Added in 6 days 40 minutes 2 seconds:
New titanosaur with heart shaped tailbones that was found in Tanzania has been named and described as Mnyamawamtuka moyowamkia.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... smsnnews11

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Could it be we discovered an animal that might be bigger than the blue whale?
Already done long time ago.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It blows that aboriginal South Americans didn’t bother to domesticate Macrauchenia when it was still around.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote:It blows that aboriginal South Americans didn’t bother to domesticate Macrauchenia when it was still around.
They couldn't even if they wanted to. Humans didn't reach South America until 14,000 years ago. Macruchenia was. long extinct by then

RIP Evan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:It blows that aboriginal South Americans didn’t bother to domesticate Macrauchenia when it was still around.
They couldn't even if they wanted to. Humans didn't reach South America until 14,000 years ago. Macruchenia was. long extinct by then
There is evidence that the creatures were hunted.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Seems like Megalodon has changed genus once more, and is now Otodus megalodon.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

SoggyNoodles2016

LegendZilla wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
oh they were alive then! double checked, my bad. I have to agree, that would have been something

Added in 1 minute 4 seconds:
Birdman wrote:Seems like Megalodon has changed genus once more, and is now Otodus megalodon.
So people can stop making a Great White and calling it a Megalodon?

Nice.

RIP Evan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: They couldn't even if they wanted to. Humans didn't reach South America until 14,000 years ago. Macruchenia was. long extinct by then
oh they were alive then! double checked, my bad. I have to agree, that would have been something.
My guess is that human beings did not evolve the intelligence to domesticate larger animals yet.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I've heard of some claims of evidence humans arriving as early as 23,000 years or even 100,000 years ago in the Americas IIRC.

As with the Australian Aborigines who may had arrived in Australia as early as 80,000 years ago.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

The Americas were prime stuff in terms of possible domesticable animals
I just can't help but love the idea of Native Americans riding Columbian Mammoths to battle
Last edited by Manuelito Canelito on Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

ManuJM1997 wrote:The Americas were prime stuff in terms of possible domesticable animals
I just can't help but love the idea of Native Americans riding Columbian Mammoths to battle
At most they would had only been able to tame them like how Indians did with Asian elephants but to fully domesticate them wouldn't had happened.

Had the indigenous people of the New World of domesticated the New World horses and camels. They would be far more advanced (Though probably nowhere as close to the Old World) and have a better fighting resistance against Europeans although they'd still be devastated by diseases brought over.

If you like the idea of tamed mammoths. You should give A Different Flesh a read. An alternate history book where Native Americans don't exist instead the New World being inhabited by Sims (Homo erectus) and due to their lesser hunting skills various megafauna still thrive by the time Europeans arrive. One of the chapters involves hairy elephants (Woolly mammoths) having been tamed as a beast of burden to power railroads by pulling trains.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

a new species of early tyrannosaur named Moros Intrepidus (Impending doom) has been discovered in Utah Living 96 mya, scientists believe it is the missing link between tiny Jurassic tyrannosaurs and the giants of the late Cretaceous

edit: it was also discovered in the Cedar Mountain Formation Aptian rocks, meaning it would have been a contemporary of the giant neovenatorid Siats Meekorum
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RIP Evan.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:a new species of early tyrannosaur named Morors Intrepidus (Impending doom) has been discovered in Utah Living 96 mya, scientists believe it is the missing link between tiny Jurassic tyrannosaurs and the giants of the late Cretaceous

edit: it was also discovered in the Cedar Mountain Formation Aptian rocks, meaning it. would have been a contemporary of the giant neovenatorid Siats Meekorum

Here's an image. It was the size of a male mule deer.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Tyrannosaurs always get the best names.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Well that's one ironic name

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Why? For a lizard, mammal, or small/baby dinosaur, a deer-sized predator would be impending doom.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SoggyNoodles2016

It also signfies the fact after Moros and his ancestors, the chances of any non-tyrannosaur theropod being top predator in North America were doomed
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

JAGzilla wrote:Why? For a lizard, mammal, or small/baby dinosaur, a deer-sized predator would be impending doom.
Well yeah, albeit Moros is pretty tiny for a tyrannosaur. On the other hand, it being a harbinger of the end times for theropods like Siats makes it rather appropiate, come to think of it, as SoggyNoodles said