The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: The Paleontology Thread

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote:An Indricotherium reconstructed with convergent evolutionary traits with elephants.

Shouldn't that be Paraceratherium or did they change it back to Indricotherium when I wasn't looking?

The only other name that I know of was Baluchitherium, the one I knew when I was a kid.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

A fossil jawbone from Alaska was found. It came from a rare Arctic dromeosaur!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 150611.htm

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

mikelcho wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:An Indricotherium reconstructed with convergent evolutionary traits with elephants.

Shouldn't that be Paraceratherium or did they change it back to Indricotherium when I wasn't looking?

The only other name that I know of was Baluchitherium, the one I knew when I was a kid.
Yeah, it's Paraceratherium now. Been so for a while now
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
mikelcho wrote:

Yeah, it's Paraceratherium now. Been so for a while now
Yeah, I thought so.

I think it should be changed in the post to reflect that.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Late to the party but that Sue model is gorgeous! So chonky :D

BTW, remembering the infamous AMNH Rex, and speaking of odd-looking extinct animal reconstructions, i thought y'all should take a look at the Daeodon/Dinohyus model from the Carnegie Museum.

Doesn't look too bad from the sides, but from the front...

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dino-Mario wrote:Doesn't look too bad from the sides, but from the front...

Never thought they could make something so on the uncanny valley scale but here we are.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

I don't dislike the idea of not shrinkwrapping an enteldont

But the eyes.

THE EYES

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Why is it cross-eyed?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Dino-Mario wrote:Image
No...

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no...
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

The fact that people like tierzoo can make videos that are full of misinformation and straight up illogical conclusions and get millions of views per video is very disappointing to me. And it keeps showing up in my recommended feed every goddamn day.

And I have friends who keep asking me if I like these people and they’re genuinely surprised when I tell them no and that those videos are super inaccurate.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Dino-Mario wrote:Late to the party but that Sue model is gorgeous! So chonky :D

BTW, remembering the infamous AMNH Rex, and speaking of odd-looking extinct animal reconstructions, i thought y'all should take a look at the Daeodon/Dinohyus model from the Carnegie Museum.

Doesn't look too bad from the sides, but from the front...

I want it! That thing is awesome looking even if it is inaccurate

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

SoggyNoodles2016

Surprised no one's talked about the new study on Dilophosaurus. Turns out it was a lot meatier in the skull (better explaining it's supposed weak jaws clashing with it being an early apex theropod) and most exciting, the classic bone crests were the support for a LARGER flesh structure.

Image Reconstruction by Idrawsdinosaurs on tumblr.

looks like old Spino ain't the only one getting a makeover in 2020 :lol:

RIP Evan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Surprised no one's talked about the new study on Dilophosaurus. Turns out it was a lot meatier in the skull (better explaining it's supposed weak jaws clashing with it being an early apex theropod) and most exciting, the classic bone crests were the support for a LARGER flesh structure.
Oh, cool! We're probably going to get all kinds of crazy artwork now, speculating on what that flesh structure looked like.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

1) That Field Museum Sue model is indeed gorgeous.
2) Entelodonts are horrifying no matter how you depict them.

Some amazing art by Wayne Barlowe -
https://chasmosaurs.com/2020/06/26/vint ... dinosaurs/

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think people should start trying to make Deinotherium look not too much like a modern elephant when reconstructing the animal. I mean come on, the species was about as closely related to modern elephants as pigs are to deer. They may have been in the same order, but they split off pretty early on within the evolutionary line.

Any suggestions on how you think they could’ve looked different? I think maybe it may not have had much of an elongated trunk like a modern elephant, but rather a more tapir-like proboscis. I imagine said proboscis was likely more flat-shaped as opposed to round with the nostrils being more slit-shaped and on opposite sides of the tip of the nose. Without a long, ground-touching trunk, I think the animal would’ve gone directly into the water to drink.

SoggyNoodles2016

See.
Thing is Deinotheriidae did split off early from most of the other traditional proboscidea....but you're REALLY overselling it, LZ.

It was not that big of a gap for that kind of radically different evolution. The reasons they are always depicted as elephants is because they basically were elephants. The only real differences were in skull shape and type of teeth (both due to different ecological niches).

This is like asking why reindeer don't have radical differences from white tailed deer then pigs and deer, tbh

Added in 1 day 8 hours 34 minutes 27 seconds:
The Hell Creek alvarezsaur has officially been named and described as Trierarchuncus prairiensis, which loosely translate to "The prairie's Captain Hook" which is the best name in a new dinosaur BY FAR

RIP Evan.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

My favorite dinosaur is Allosaurus. Ankylosaurus is a close second.

Added in 1 minute 11 seconds:
ShinGojira14 wrote:My favorite dinosaur is Allosaurus. Ankylosaurus is a close second.

Oh, skreeonk. This isn't the same thread as "favorite dinosaur."

My mistake.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'm suprised creationists haven't twisted this bear into a hadrosaur yet.

SoggyNoodles2016

I'm not. What the hell about that says hadrosaur?

RIP Evan.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm not. What the hell about that says hadrosaur?
The lower ear could be an eye and the other is a small head crest. The bear's snout could easily be confused for a duck bill, too.

It's very vague but since YECs confused a rhino for a stegosaur, I won't hold them up too high.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.