New member introductions!

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: New member introductions!

Postby eabaker » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:35 am

Zarm wrote:
Mr. Introspection wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Man, this guy......BORING!!! Its a very underrated film that goes above peoples head. A boy who finds strength within himself to defy his so called place in this world through his own imagination. BORING?????

Yup, guess he will fit in with the other professional film critics here in TK.

Pffft. Boring...

Haha well I am going to school for filmmaking so it's in my nature to look at all films, no matter what genre, somewhat critically.

Very cool! Where at? I am a video editor by trade (and amateur director), and eabaker is also a video pro (and far more of a filmmaker than I), so you are in good film-school company. :)

Yes, any time you want to talk about the relevance of the Kuleshov effect to Gamera vs. Guiron, we're happy to join in! ;)
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr. Introspection
Ronin

Postby Mr. Introspection » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:54 am

Zarm wrote:
Mr. Introspection wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Man, this guy......BORING!!! Its a very underrated film that goes above peoples head. A boy who finds strength within himself to defy his so called place in this world through his own imagination. BORING?????

Yup, guess he will fit in with the other professional film critics here in TK.

Pffft. Boring...

Haha well I am going to school for filmmaking so it's in my nature to look at all films, no matter what genre, somewhat critically.

Very cool! Where at? I am a video editor by trade (and amateur director), and eabaker is also a video pro (and far more of a filmmaker than I), so you are in good film-school company. :)

For the sake of my privacy I won't say exactly where I'm studying, but I will say I am currently studying at a university in New York. Have you done any sort of work in the field yet?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Mr. Introspection wrote:
Zarm wrote:
Mr. Introspection wrote:

For the sake of my privacy I won't say exactly where I'm studying, but I will say I am currently studying at a university in New York. Have you done any sort of work in the field yet?

I've been in the video industry for a little over 11 years, though most of my editing (with the exception of a few short films I've been fortunate to be a part of) has been more corporate talking head and informational videos than anything to do with narrative filmmaking. That's more of a hobby on my own time than anything I'm paid to do.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

CommanderBowser
Yojimbo

Postby CommanderBowser » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:44 am

Hello fellow Godzilla fans, I'm new here (as a member), and I going to say that this will be a very fun site to be on.

So with that, the Godzilla franchise is one of the main reasons I'm here, and this site, will hopefully become a common place to hang around.
Just your average fan of Godzilla, who also loves cartoons and Super Smash Bros

FWI, Bowser is my Smash Main, hence my user name.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:25 am

Welcome!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:24 am

CommanderBowser wrote:Hello fellow Godzilla fans, I'm new here (as a member), and I going to say that this will be a very fun site to be on.

So with that, the Godzilla franchise is one of the main reasons I'm here, and this site, will hopefully become a common place to hang around.

Welcome to TK!!! This place gets pretty crazy and weird, but we hope you enjoy it. :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:17 am

CommanderBowser wrote:Hello fellow Godzilla fans, I'm new here (as a member), and I going to say that this will be a very fun site to be on.

Woah, whoa, buddy, back off with this 'fun' stuff! Toho Kingdom is not 'fun', and that's not what anybody comes here for. We're here to argue to the death over every little thing, and chew bubble gum. And we ran out of bubble gum years ago.

Welcome aboard. ;)

CommanderBowser
Yojimbo

Postby CommanderBowser » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:23 am

Thanks, I'm ready for this site.

Now to start out with some stuff somewhere on this site.
Just your average fan of Godzilla, who also loves cartoons and Super Smash Bros

FWI, Bowser is my Smash Main, hence my user name.

Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:32 am

Nice to see a new member here. :)

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:56 pm

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Hedorah
Kwaidan

Postby Hedorah » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:45 am

My my it has been a while. Last log in was 2014. It’s good to be back.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."

I wrote:skreeonk the Dave the isn't footings happen

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Hedorah wrote:My my it has been a while. Last log in was 2014. It’s good to be back.

Welcome back!

#ProLife

Maranatha!

Tytyvyllvs
Ronin

Postby Tytyvyllvs » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:09 am

Hey all! I've lurked as a guest on these forums on and off since around 2014 (mostly in the collectibles sub-forum). Decided it was about time I joined the party!

Put my kaiju-life story under a spoiler tab because it got... long.
Spoiler:
I've been fascinated with giant reptilian monsters since before I can remember - I was that kid who spoke only in unsolicited dinosaur facts. One of my earliest memories is of watching a clip of Godzilla '98 over and over at a trade show I was at with my dad and being gripped by the idea of a massive creature destroying a city. Actually seeing the film in its entirety was also probably the first time I experienced disappointment at the hands of a film, haha! I didn't like the humans and was rooting for GINO all the way through, only to be gutted when he and his offspring were killed. :( Luckily, the toys for the film were great and numerous and I developed a strong affinity for Godzilla (albeit a version the vast majority of fans despise).

I didn't engage with kaiju films again until I saw a trailer for Pacific Rim and was awed by the idea and visuals. I went on to see the movie and enjoy it beyond words; it remains my favourite kaiju film to this day. I started collecting the NECA Pacific Rim figures at this point and started lurking on these forums to stay up to date with those releases.

I was hyped for Godzilla '14, but it disappointed me in much the same way as Godzilla '98 (too much boring human drama, not enough monster fun - though I concede that what little we get of Godzilla in '14 far surpasses whatever they were going for in '98). Nevertheless, I love Legendary's thicc Godzilla design and also liked that Godzilla was in more of a hero role (I'm a sap and prefer him as a good guy, fight me). I picked up the NECA 24-inch figure of '14 Godzilla and eventually got MonsterArts' Spitfire release too.

I've spent the last few years building a small collection of MonsterArts Godzillas and have begun slowly making my way through the Japanese films (including '54, GMK, Shin Godzilla and the anime).

And that brings us to now! I'm currently in the stranglehold of hype for KOTM. Everyone around me is sick of hearing about it, but I can't stop, haha! Also on the verge of jumping into collecting the Deforeal line. I shouldn't... but I'm tempted.

Outside of kaiju stuff, I'm a Star Wars fan (I collect the Black Series line, certain Hot Toys and Darth Maul and Bossk merch), a Pokémon fan and a Monster Hunter fan. I also occasionally dabble in writing fiction and non-fiction.

tl;dr: I'm looking forward to KOTM and I collect Godzilla figures.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:29 am

Tytyvyllvs wrote:I've been fascinated with giant reptilian monsters since before I can remember - I was that kid who spoke only in unsolicited dinosaur facts.

That was always me, too. My younger brother and sister used to watch that show Dino Dan, and I just couldn't stay in the room when they had it on. Watching that kid was like looking into a brutally honest window into my childhood. :lol:

Welcome aboard! You're probably a rarity around here in terms of how few of the Japanese films you've seen. There are plenty of people here who haven't seen them all, but very few who've only seen six. Which of those is your favorite so far?

Tytyvyllvs
Ronin

Postby Tytyvyllvs » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:01 am

JAGzilla wrote:That was always me, too. My younger brother and sister used to watch that show Dino Dan, and I just couldn't stay in the room when they had it on. Watching that kid was like looking into a brutally honest window into my childhood. :lol:

Welcome aboard! You're probably a rarity around here in terms of how few of the Japanese films you've seen. There are plenty of people here who haven't seen them all, but very few who've only seen six. Which of those is your favorite so far?

Haha, I feel that! But at the same time, I don't know that I ever 100% grew out of this phase... sometimes an unsolicited dino fact still escapes, though it's usually followed now by, "Don't quote me on that, the science might have changed since I last read up." :lol:

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I've been slacking on getting caught up. I never had any exposure to the Japanese films when I was younger and I've found them a bit of a pain to get a hold of on Blu-ray in the UK (if any UK forum-goers know where I can get them, hit me up ;) ). Of the Japanese films I've seen so far, I've loved '54 and Shin; they never lose sight of their themes, the devastation feels genuinely horrific and Godzilla's metaphorical significance always feels focused. They're easily my favourites of what I've watched so far. I love GMK Goji's design and presence and also liked Baragon in this film (so cute!), but I found the movie messy overall; to me, it felt like the fantasy feel of the guardian monsters clashed with the war atrocity origin of Godzilla and the final battle outstayed its welcome for me. The anime series was a slog and I could feel myself checking out for most of it. I didn't really like any of the characters except Metphies and didn't really care about the fate of anyone. The final third of Planet Eater was the most interesting part of the anime for me... but even then, only in a vague way.

I want to tackle some of the goofier Showa offerings to get my hero Godzilla fix next, but I'm also looking forward to getting into the Heisei films because those plots sound right up my street. If anyone's got any recommendations, I'm all ears! :)

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:22 am

Welcome, Tytyvyllvs!

#ProLife

Maranatha!

SoggyNoodles2016
Futurian

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:11 am

Welcome, Tytyvylls! Glad to have you!

and dont worry, I also prefer good guy Godzilla. :wink:

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Gojirahkiin
Young Farmer

Postby Gojirahkiin » Thu May 23, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi everyone! I'm Gojirahkiin. On most sites people call me Goji, but my gut tells me that'd just get confusing here. :D I've been a lurker for a very long time: in my first memory of this site there were still only around 10 or so KWC matches.

Anyway, I've been a big Godzilla fan for as long as I can remember, and I've finally decided to join the forums since this is my main stop for all things Godzilla related. I'm also a big fan of the KWC and have been a regular reader for as long as I've been coming here.

Some other tidbits about me include that I've owned 7 dogs over the course of my life, I've seen every Godzilla movie except for 2 of them (albeit mostly the dubbed versions), and I'm prone to writing silly fanfiction, sometimes Godzilla related, and sometimes not.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Thu May 23, 2019 6:53 pm

Welcome in out of the cold, Gojirahkiin! :)

#ProLife

Maranatha!

SoggyNoodles2016
Futurian

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun May 26, 2019 12:55 pm

Welcome, Gojirahkiin! as a fellow ex lurker, great to have another around!

What 2 Godzilla movies are left for you? I got Megalon and OG Vs Mechagodzilla.

Anyhow, Hope to see you around a lot!

Added in 1 minute 27 seconds:
also, adoring you icon. :lol:

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Return to “General Discussion”