2012 X-Plus Vinyl Figures Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.

Which Figure Should X-Plus Absolutely Release in 2012?

Gabara
8%
Kamakiras
2%
King Ghidorah (1968)
32%
King Seesar
9%
Kumonga
3%
Manda (1968)
2%
Mecha-King Ghidora
13%
Mothra Imago
1%
Rodan (1956)
4%
Titanosaurus
25%

Total votes: 97

GCrusher
G-Force Personnel

Re: 2012 X-Plus Vinyl Figures Discussion Thread

Post by GCrusher »

kkawachi wrote:A few replies to whats been going on here -

GCrusher:
I have to agree with Smog Monster, the Godzilla 62 is a very accurate representation of the suit as seen in the film. It even gets some of the odd tintings from the Eastmancolor to appear subtly in the paint. Definitely among the best in the 30cm line in my opinion.
Ok, maybe I need to go back and watch the film again. Though it appears to me, and I respect everyone's opinions, that in the film Godzilla was dirty from rolling around in battle, and the figure just lacks spray on his feet/nails.There is a light/medium grey spray, as opposed to obvious bone colored nails that are say, brown from dirt.
It could be that it appears under sprayed/painted because the figure is displayed next to the other six 30cm Godzillas that I have on display in my cab.
So, you and Smog Monster have the figure to look at as well?

Godzilla and Kong falling into the water.
Godzilla and Kong trampling homes just prior to falling into the water.

So after having quickly gone through the movie again, here is the way it is.
The film quality isn't the best. Far away shots the nails on the feet look to have subtle coloring if any at all, which is consistent with the 30cm X-Plus figure. However, the close up shots, above, often showed the nails colored more prominently, which is in contrast to the X-Plus figure. So there you go.
Pics were taken with my iPhone.

Brad Simmons
Monarch Researcher

Post by Brad Simmons »

Exclusive Winter Wonderfest items just announced via the X-Plus blog. It's a two-pack of the 25cm Godzilla and Jet Jaguar from "Godzilla vs. Megalon" with new poses.

http://www.ric-toy.ne.jp/blog-rojiura/

I wonder if they'll offer a limited number of sets through their website like they did the Gargantuas set last year.

Qaenos
GPN Volunteer

Post by Qaenos »

Brad Simmons wrote:Exclusive Winter Wonderfest items just announced via the X-Plus blog. It's a two-pack of the 25cm Godzilla and Jet Jaguar from "Godzilla vs. Megalon" with new poses.
Thanks for the link! The new pose on Jet Jaguar is very nice. Better than the original 25cm version, in my opinion. I'd like to see more pics of this 1973 Godzilla. I'm not sure if I like the open mouth or the closed mouth of the original.

Brad Simmons
Monarch Researcher

Post by Brad Simmons »

Huh, color me shocked! The Gigan that was announced is another 30cm figure! It looks like a mash-up of the regular and "Night" versions. The color scheme seems mixed. From what my translator says, it's supposed to depict how he looks from different angles (ooooookay). Anyhoo, and the Internet Exclusive has a light-up eye! Pre-order link below...

http://ric-toy.ne.jp/shop/products/deta ... duct_id=77

FYI-Remember X-Plus won't ship domestically, so you'll need a friend in Japan to buy the Internet Exclusive or a third party go-between such as Japantodoor.com. Or, buy the regular version through one of the suppliers most of us deal with such as Hobby Search. ;-)
Last edited by Brad Simmons on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qaenos
GPN Volunteer

Post by Qaenos »

So, what's the best way for an American, that has no connections in Japan, to get their hands on one of these 2012 Winter Wonderfest Godzilla/Jet Jaguar exclusives?

Brad Simmons
Monarch Researcher

Post by Brad Simmons »

Qaenos wrote:So, what's the best way for an American, that has no connections in Japan, to get their hands on one of these 2012 Winter Wonderfest Godzilla/Jet Jaguar exclusives?
IF they sell them online (like they did 80 of the Summer Wonderfest Gargantua sets), you can follow the instructions here... http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =11&t=6132

Otherwise, you'll need to know someone going to the con in Japan who would be willing to pick one up for you. Barring that, eBay (which is unlikely) or you'll have better luck with the Yahoo Japan auction site but you can't buy direct there either but can use a service like Japantodoor and have them bid for you. I tried that though and the fees are outrageous.

http://shopping.yahoo.co.jp/

Qaenos
GPN Volunteer

Post by Qaenos »

Thank you very much!

kkawachi
GPN Volunteer

Post by kkawachi »

More replies -

G-Crusher:
I bow to your research! I do still love the X-Plus G'62, though the toes do stand out as you said (as well as the G'54 grey colored ones) when all the X-Plus Godzillas are displayed in a row.

Brad:
How am I supposed to announce breaking news when you beat me to it constantly haha! Nice looking out on the latest updates, they are up on the main page now and available from Hobby Search. The Gigan is a 25cm though, and though I am stunned that they didn't do a 73 version to complete the Megalon set, I love the more night-version type coloring. It will go nicely with the original 30cm GIgan color scheme. The new exclusives and the late release date for Manda and Gigan are a well deserved break for my wallet as I will be passing on the new G'73 and JJ (I prefer the original poses myself).

Finally my update on the figures I got in. The clear winner is the G'54. Great sculpt, paint, and its huge, bigger than all previous 30cm G figures. The Anguirus is second, also slightly larger than previous 30cm figures, and matches perfectly with the previously released G'55. Though I was most amped for the Mechagodzilla I am a little disappointed by it. It looks weird from some angles, the posability seems too limited in the arms, and its proportions of parts seem off as well.

In 25cm figs the G'67 is a huge dissapointment, the head sculpt and eye paint is dismal. It has a nice body and detailing though. The Hedorah is much better, but it stands very hunched and leans forward in its basic pose. It needed to be looking up since it is so much lower than other figures, but is perfectly in scale with the 30cm Hedorah and G'68.

So while I don't regret any of the purchases X-Plus dropped the ball for me with the G'67 and MG. Also could have used some tweaks on the Angy 55 and Crawling Hedorah. But the G'54 is a classic and keeper with nearly all the other Godzilla's they've produced.

kaijuhunter
Ronin

Post by kaijuhunter »

Hey there,
I was wondering if anyone is getting the new 20cm scale X-Plus Godzilla 64 and the 2 Mothra larvas?
I ordered the Godzilla figure only from Hobby Search, then I found out that a special internet version was released including the Mothras. Man I am bummed out! I really want them too! Does anyone think X-Plus will release them separately?

GCrusher
G-Force Personnel

Post by GCrusher »

kaijuhunter wrote:Hey there,
I was wondering if anyone is getting the new 20cm scale X-Plus Godzilla 64 and the 2 Mothra larvas?
I ordered the Godzilla figure only from Hobby Search, then I found out that a special internet version was released including the Mothras. Man I am bummed out! I really want them too! Does anyone think X-Plus will release them separately?
There is a store on eBay that usually has the internet and show exclusives for sale and I beleive they are called King of Monsters. Like what Brad has said before, you can use a Japanese company to buy for you, which is more involved than how simple I just made it sound, or you can just look for sellers on eBay that have the internet exclusives. I bought my 67 G with Minya internet exclusive from King of Monsters on eBay and I felt is was an easier and cheaper than the other route, which i've gone before.
Right now I see they are selling the internet version of the 54 G.
Additionally, I've emailed them in the past inquiring of internet only releases and they were able to tell me whether or not they planned to buy any to sell on eBay. So maybe you can put a request in?

kaijuhunter
Ronin

Post by kaijuhunter »

Thanks for the advice, I have actually purchased from House of Monsters in the past. Oh well, maybe someone will sell me their Mothra Larva figures....I am still looking forward to the 64 figure itself. Did anyone get the 30cm X-Plus 64 with the closed mouth? I wish I was able to snag one of those!

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

kaijuhunter wrote:Did anyone get the 30cm X-Plus 64 with the closed mouth? I wish I was able to snag one of those!
can't remember if i posted pics of mine in the old thread...maybe it's there

GCrusher
G-Force Personnel

Post by GCrusher »

I didnt pick up either of the 30cm Gigans, so it looks like I'll have to settle for this 25cm version. Though am happy it'll be in scale with my Megalon, etc..

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Oh god. Student loan money MIGHT have me buying that 25cm Gigan.

Crossing my fingers for a '62 Godzilla in the 25cm line in the next couple months.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

TokyoVigilante wrote:Oh god. Student loan money MIGHT have me buying that 25cm Gigan.

Crossing my fingers for a '62 Godzilla in the 25cm line in the next couple months.
While the new Gigan figure is decent and definitely an improvement over their very flawed 30cm figure, I still prefer Marmit's MH Gigan and Gigabrain's Gigan figures, making this an easy pass. Not to mention the fact that I think there are tons of Gigan figures out already and the market is over-saturated.

Now the Manda figure, on the other hand, is very tempting...unfortunately I'll have to pass because I just dumped all my money into the upcoming Gigabrain King Ghidorah :shock: :huge:

I really wish Xplus (or Marmit/Gigabrain/Marusan) would stop screwing around and just give us a decent 25 inch/8-9inch scale Gabara figure already :g2k:
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Wed May 02, 2012 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Brad Simmons
Monarch Researcher

Post by Brad Simmons »

leunames wrote:
kaijuhunter wrote:Did anyone get the 30cm X-Plus 64 with the closed mouth? I wish I was able to snag one of those!
can't remember if i posted pics of mine in the old thread...maybe it's there
Page 20 of the "Display Your Collection" thread I believe.

GCrusher
G-Force Personnel

Post by GCrusher »

kaijuhunter wrote:Thanks for the advice, I have actually purchased from House of Monsters in the past. Oh well, maybe someone will sell me their Mothra Larva figures....I am still looking forward to the 64 figure itself. Did anyone get the 30cm X-Plus 64 with the closed mouth? I wish I was able to snag one of those!
Another resource for hard to find figures is Steve Agin. Steve is one in the same of Agin Toys and contributes by writing a section about Godzilla collecting in none other than GFan, the all Godzilla magazine. I bet Steve can get the internet version of the 20cm 64G w/Mothra larvas. A friend and I have used Steve to find us X-Plus and hard to find Marmits over the years. He routinely travels to Japan and has contacts there. I can comfortably say he can get you any X-Plus or other exclusives if you give him some notice and wager that there is still time for him to find this Internet exclusive.
Hope this helps.

http://agintoys.com/

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

30 cm 64 Rodan coming in April

http://www.ric-toy.ne.jp/blog-rojiura/

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

OH FUCK YES

Looks like x plus took the sculpt from the resin chef Rodan 64. Would have preferred they took the MM28 64 sculpt but the resin chef is pretty good itself!

With this impending release, King Ghidorah is the last one left out of the big 5 (and Imago mothra, if they ever get around to that)!