American Greetings/Carlton Cards/Heirloom Godzilla Ornaments

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
MandaSaurus
Sazer

Re: American Greetings/Carlton Cards/Heirloom Godzilla Ornam

Post by MandaSaurus »

What's AG?

MewZilla34
Samurai

Post by MewZilla34 »

Manda2012 wrote:What's AG?
American Greetings

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

I just happened to be walking in my local Meijer today to get some groceries, and walked past the card display and sure enough, they had this years American Greetings ornaments already out for sale, and (luckily) they still had two Mechagodzilla's left, so I snatched one up. Definitely very happy with this ornament and is certainly more interesting than last years. I would like to see them attempt some other monsters too (but I am sure next year we will be getting a 2014 Godzilla ornament....plus maybe another classic one). :) Definitely pick him up (if you can find him).
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

tycerium
Samurai

Post by tycerium »

How much does the 2013 one cost in the stores? I see it on ebay for $30 plus shipping.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Do they sell Godzilla ones at Hobby Lobby? I never seen a Meijer before and I don't know of any American Greetings stores around. Only place I bought one is from Kmart many years ago.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

I don't believe that they sell them at Hobby Lobby (at least not the store around here). My local Meijer still has 2 of these Mechagodzillas' available. And they are $29.95 there, so they are pretty much the same price tycerium.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Well thanks to Ebay, I now finally got the secondary 2006 Godzilla ornament! :) Man, that thing is loud. It's not as cool as the others but I am still glad to have them all.

I don't have an image to post, but according to the latest issue of G-Fan magazine, the next ornament will be a "60th Anniversary" ornament sculpted in the style of the original Godzilla and painted in black and white coloring. It's sculpt is very similar to the first 2005 ornament, but with a differently sculpted base (and again, apparently will be painted in black and white). Furthermore, I also strongly suspect American Greetings will be making a separate ornament for the Legendary Godzilla as well.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Hallmark will be doing a Godzilla 2014 ornament, cool that AG is doing an anniversary one, but the 2005 is an amazing piece, be curious how the new one steps up to that bar.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Wow, that surprises me. I would have thought for sure that American Greetings would of had the rights to produce one. Oh well, I will just get the Hallmark one too. Thanks for letting me know.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Only Godzilla I don't have is 2012, and I didn't want Mechagodzilla, I love all of them, but the '54, '95 and GMK are my
favorites. Can't wait for 2014 and the anniversary ornament.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Oh, yeah... Hallmark NEVER does Godzilla ornaments! This is a 'must-buy' for me!

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Manda2012 wrote:Oh, yeah... Hallmark NEVER does Godzilla ornaments! This is a 'must-buy' for me!
Same here, I've been working there for a couple years and wonder why they never did one.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I'm guessing this is this years'
http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2014-Go ... 35871.html#

and for those who missed it

The Hallmark one is over half the price cheaper than the Greetings one, but both look nice nonetheless. Might make an exception with it being 60th and get both.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I like the '54 being in black and white, it looks nice, though I hate how much of it is washed out into the background of the photo, but I'm a bit disappointed that the pose looks so much like their original ornament.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Damn Dirty Apes...

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

New image of Hallmark ornament

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Wow, I know that's the prototype and the final won't be as good, but that's very impressive.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

The Godzilla itself (in the Hallmark) looks pretty good, but the buildings around it look cheap. I'll still get it, though.

As for the American Greetings one, it looks almost identical to the first one they put out. Kinda lame. I'll probably still get it, though, too. :P
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

The sound the Hallmark ornament makes
http://content.hallmark.com/hallmark-re ... XI2553.mp3

I'm guessing the crash noises are supposed to be his footsteps.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

So, I think, just comparing photos, we can safely expect that the ornament in the image below is what the final piece will look like.

In the recent photo, the paint's very detailed, but also, the sculpt is seamless, where you can see in the picture above, there's a seam where they're attached.

While the prototype is stunning, I never thought for a second we'd get something that good from Hallmark, but if the final piece is close to the image I've posted, for $18 I'll be happy, just hope it doesn't turn out like their Jabba the Hutt last year.